Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lock down turbo trainers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Do you live alone? I've an older Tacx blue and the noise would probably lead to matricide. If you've a shed fine.

I dont use mine, just too dull. Might get a smart one though to make it interesting if we show signs of full lockdown.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ED E wrote: »
    Do you live alone? I've an older Tacx blue and the noise would probably lead to matricide.
    why would you kill your mother over that?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

why would you kill your mother over that?

Would you believe I googled it and all to confirm then still got it wrong.... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

i have a Wahoo Kickr and an Elemnt Bolt, there is a facility where you can go into the old rides you have completed on the bolt and re-create them on the kickr, so i'm familiar with the rides i'm doing while i stare out the spare bedroom window :D

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

Are these trainers suitable for Mountain bikes as well or are they mainly for road bikes..?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Are these trainers suitable for Mountain bikes as well or are they mainly for road bikes..?

Mostly grand with mountain bikes, but if your own a thru axle rather than QR you will probably need and adapter. I got one of the cheopo LIDL ones so I could train with my daughter on her 26" Frog bike while watching netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

smacl wrote: »
    Mostly grand with mountain bikes, but if your own a thru axle rather than QR you will probably need and adapter. I got one of the cheopo LIDL ones so I could train with my daughter on her 26" Frog bike while watching netflix.

I got an Elite Suito last week and am pretty sure it came with an adapter for thru axles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

A quick flick through Wiggle's turbo trainers and many of them are out of stock!

Edit. Dang. Actually, it looks like all of them are now out of stock. Could be a call made by Wiggle just to withhold selling of all turbo's due to the demand.

• Site Banned Posts: 221 ✭✭SAM SO NITE

i cannot get a wahoo kickr or kickr core for love nor money anywhere in the world.

Let me know if you find one

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

i cannot get a wahoo kickr or kickr core for love nor money anywhere in the world.

Chain Driven Cycles say they'll have both in this week. They seem to have a 0% payment plan there too

• Advertisement

Chain Driven Cycles say they'll have both in this week. They seem to have a 0% payment plan there too

hopefully they ship to Spain

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Refurbs are available from Wahoo directly:
    https://eu.wahoofitness.com/devices/bike-trainers/wahoo-kickr-powertrainer-reconditioned

https://eu.wahoofitness.com/devices/bike-trainers/kickr-core-indoor-smart-trainer-reconditioned-euuk

deconduo wrote: »

cheers having a much now. Are the 2018 ones the latest edition? Are reconditioned problematic?

The kickr core is back order only. the kickr is 999 for a refurb. worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I see Tacx suspended online orders for a time in order to cope with the amount of orders trolling in!

cheers having a much now. Are the 2018 ones the latest edition? Are reconditioned problematic?

The kickr core is back order only. the kickr is 999 for a refurb. worth it?

I bought one last week, arrived yesterday. The box was a bit grubby but the trainer itself looks brand new. Went for a short spin with no issues.

There's a 2 year warranty on it anyway in case of any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,497 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Halfords closed for three weeks. No chance of getting one there.

Try 360 Cycles in Clontarf - I got an Elite Suito there last week, called in on the Monday and they'd a delivery due in later in the week. Collected the trainer on Thursday and very happy with it so far.

deconduo wrote: »
    I bought one last week, arrived yesterday. The box was a bit grubby but the trainer itself looks brand new. Went for a short spin with no issues.

There's a 2 year warranty on it anyway in case of any issues.

Cheers bro. I pulled the trigger last night. Were all bits included such as disc brake insert to prevent hydraulic lock?

Cheers bro. I pulled the trigger last night. Were all bits included such as disc brake insert to prevent hydraulic lock?

It has the axle adaptors and came with a cassette installed, but I didn't spot a disk brake insert.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭fat bloke

ted1 wrote: »
    Are cheap turbo trainers any good?

A trainer is trainer IMO. It's a fallacy that spending more money means a greater liklihood of usage. If you won't sit on a 100 euro trainer for 30 mins, then you're equally unlikely to sit on a 1000 euro trainer. :)

I've a good turbo record for the last 7 or 8 years or so and have largely done so on sub 150 euro mag trainers. I only recently changed to a fluid one and found it great but by then I'd well established the premise and practice.

I bought rollers last year however and haven't used the turbo since. Lovin' the rollers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,497 ✭✭✭✭ted1

fat bloke wrote: »

I bought rollers last year however and haven't used the turbo since. Lovin' the rollers!

Must look into them. They look odd and tricky.

Surprised no one has advised getting another bike N+1 and all that stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

fat bloke wrote: »
    A trainer is trainer IMO. It's a fallacy that spending more money means a greater liklihood of usage. If you won't sit on a 100 euro trainer for 30 mins, then you're equally unlikely to sit on a 1000 euro trainer. :)

I've a good turbo record for the last 7 or 8 years or so and have largely done so on sub 150 euro mag trainers. I only recently changed to a fluid one and found it great but by then I'd well established the premise and practice.

I wouldn't fully agree with that I'm the sense that a lot of people get some sense of fun from a smart trainer on Swift, but never be able to force themselves to put in the effort if on the trainer alone.

I also think wheel off trainers are worth considering - the non smart ones are not too expensive.

That being said I'm using a Tacx Flux which I got on sale for 400€. Doesn't get great reviews but working fine for me touch wood.

I wouldn't fully agree with that I'm the sense that a lot of people get some sense of fun from a smart trainer on Swift, but never be able to force themselves to put in the effort if on the trainer alone.

Yep that's me, I've had a bog standard turbo previously and found it very boring. I'm only 3 rides in but so far loving the smart trainer on Zwift.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

How do you set up resistance on a set of rollers?

Is is pre-set and you just go up the gears to increase effort?

Ta

NMG

Yep that's me, I've had a bog standard turbo previously and found it very boring. I'm only 3 rides in but so far loving the smart trainer on Zwift.

Only 3 rides in?! I wouldn't say it was true love yet :D

How do you set up resistance on a set of rollers?

Is is pre-set and you just go up the gears to increase effort?

Ta

NMG

Some rollers don't have any resistance variation facility. Mine have 3 settings via a slider on the base. But ultimately yeah same as on the road you pedal faster and go the gears. if they're resistance "free" rollers then you can con yourself in the first minute or so into thinking - this is dead easy, I'm in my biggest gear already and horsing along!

-Give it 5 minutes.

And then another 35 minutes.

You'll be sweatin' soon enough :)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭dickidy

did you try base 2 race..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

See sports pursuit have the Saris H3 for under £600.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

Does Zwift work with a Garmin HRM ?
    I’m using an iPad . Everything connects bar the HRM strap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Oberkon wrote: »
    Does swift work with a Garmin HRM ?
    I’m using an iPad . Everything connects bar the HRM strap
    I doubt the ipad has a built in ant receiver?

Advertisement