Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lock down turbo trainers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Oberkon wrote: »
    Does Zwift work with a Garmin HRM ?
    I’m using an iPad . Everything connects bar the HRM strap

I had the same question today on Android & PC - would you need a Bluetooth HRM? Any decent ones going cheap?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭dickidy

no garmin heart rate run of ant and wont connect to bluetooth. i have to use ANT and Dongle to connect to my laptop. you can get micro one for i pads adn tablets.

please correct me if im wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Works fine with my PC & Android using ANT+ dongle which I picked up for €20, I've no clue about iPad!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

dickidy wrote: »
    no garmin heart rate run of ant and wont connect to bluetooth. i have to use ANT and Dongle to connect to my laptop. you can get micro one for i pads adn tablets.

please correct me if im wrong

exactly. The garmin hrm have bluetooth (at least mine doesnt) so unless your ipad has an ant+ receiver, it wont work on it. Either and ant+ dongle for the ipad to allow it receive the signal from the garmin hrm, or a new hrm strap that broadcasts on bluetooth should sort you out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

i cannot get a wahoo kickr or kickr core for love nor money anywhere in the world.

Let me know if you find one

Just came up on my Facebook that the cycle superstore are after getting a small delivery today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

They were in stock in Cycle Superstore this morning. Out of Stock already.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

i got a snap from cyclesuperstore. they seemed to have very little stock, but with the CI discounts it was a good deal i think

there is an instock refurbed kickr for 999 direct from wahoo
    https://eu.wahoofitness.com/devices/bike-trainers/wahoo-kickr-powertrainer-reconditioned

• Registered Users Posts: 8 alarmcode

the HRM is probably ant +.

The rest are communicating on blue tooth

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Just spoke with Matteo Cigala re tonight's zwift spin, and asked had he any trainers in stock. He said he has 1 core and 2 kickrs in stock. No affiliation. retail.cigalacycling.com

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

put an order in for a tacx flux from amazon germany for 426euro, seemed like a great deal, got an email tonight telling me it was cancelled due to not being in stock even though amazon.de is still saying its in stock :( any ideas for something instead around the 400-600 mark?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

put an order in for a tacx flux from amazon germany for 426euro, seemed like a great deal, got an email tonight telling me it was cancelled due to not being in stock even though amazon.de is still saying its in stock :( any ideas for something instead around the 400-600 mark?

Sports pursuit had Saris H3 for £600 during the week.

Edit, ignore that, just checked and not there anymore.

Kickr Snap any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭lissard

Kickr Snap any good?

I have one, it's great. Built like a tank and runs quiet. It's compatible with every training app out there. The only thing with a wheel on trainer is getting the right contact between the roller and the wheel. As long as it's good everything works well. When you buy it you get a month's free trial on a ton of apps. I'm slowly working my way through them.

For what it's worth, I have used a top of the line Kickr over the last two years and to my mind there isn't a hugely noticeable difference between it and the snap. The Kickr might be slightly more responsive and a bit quieter.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Gasco

Wiggle and CRC seem to have stock at present, pulled the trigger on a kickr snap.

This is my version of panic buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Asdaman

Gasco wrote: »
    Wiggle and CRC seem to have stock at present, pulled the trigger on a kickr snap.

This is my version of panic buying.

Likewise! A prospective purchase this winter brought forward. Let's hope CRC actually have the stock

Just panic bought a kickr snap, who knows how long 2km lockdown will last

• Registered Users Posts: 40 stones81

Does anyone know what size thru axle would be need for giant content ar1 to use on tacx flow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Sorry no help on the queries but I keep reading the thread title as a warning to beware of turbo trainer thieves :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 LTLOB

Hi folks,

Just wondering if anyone has any feedback on the Elite Turbo Muin Smart Turbo Trainer from Halfords? https://www.halfords.ie/cycling/turbo-trainers/all-turbo-trainers/298775.html. Have found one second hand and tempted to pick it up? Does anyone know if you can connect your Garmin 520 to it to track and record your training. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Newtown90

LTLOB wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Just wondering if anyone has any feedback on the Elite Turbo Muin Smart Turbo Trainer from Halfords? https://www.halfords.ie/cycling/turbo-trainers/all-turbo-trainers/298775.html. Have found one second hand and tempted to pick it up? Does anyone know if you can connect your Garmin 520 to it to track and record your training. Thanks

Had one for 18 months and recently sold it. It's a dumb smart trainer if that's a thing.

I'd recommend something that has resistance control.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

LTLOB wrote: »
    Hi folks,

No experience of that trainer but my Elite Suito uploads my ride data to Strava afterwards, if that's basically what you're asking for?

I don't need to use my Garmin head unit at all when on it and can see HR, cadence, power (if I had it) etc on the screen as I ride.

edit...resistance control as mentioned above is brilliant and makes it far more interactive & engaging.

Newtown90 wrote: »
    Had one for 18 months and recently sold it. It's a dumb smart trainer if that's a thing.

I'd recommend something that has resistance control.

Thanks for response, might leave it for the time being so! Thanks

No experience of that trainer but my Elite Suito uploads my ride data to Strava afterwards, if that's basically what you're asking for?

I don't need to use my Garmin head unit at all when on it and can see HR, cadence, power (if I had it) etc on the screen as I ride.

edit...resistance control as mentioned above is brilliant and makes it far more interactive & engaging.

Thanks for response. Might look in to the Elite Suito, seems a bit more advanced than one I mentioned. Thanks

Asdaman wrote: »
    Likewise! A prospective purchase this winter brought forward. Let's hope CRC actually have the stock

It appears they do - received a dispatch notice yesterday afternoon.

Now I need to work on my explanations, as this is not something that will be hidden in the attic...

That did not last long. Being returned to CRC.

Would not hold a connection to anything, despite firmware updates, multiple reinstalls of the Wahoo app and hair - pulling out.

Eventually when it did connect it would not transmit power / speed. Managed to get it working after 3 hours today and it would not perform the spin down calibration, kept hanging, at last it established a connection long enough to get it to calibrate and I thought I was off. Tried RGT (again after multiple times of the app saying it could not connect) and eventually joined one of the spins. Drop offs meant that it would not control the electronic brake.

So I tried to have a go at just pedaling at a steady speed. Readings of over 1500 watts at 120 bpm were being achieved, with really minimal effort on my part.

Having run out of hair, I decided that I am far to old to be dealing with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭transylman

Enjoying the turbo trainer with Zwift but it is taking up too much space. Are there any options for a front wheel stand that would let me reduce the space used?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭nilhg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭ted1

nilhg wrote: »

I stuck in a bid, haven’t found any available yet

got my kickr snap today and set it up for zwift, i jumped straight into a 30 minute ERG mode workout thinking sure twill be grand :D didnt grasp just how hard holding 250watts is for 3 minutes haha, all seems to be working grand though. Is there anything i should be testing on it in particular to make sure ive got a good one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Just picked up a cheap BikeHut one from eBay Halfords page. Had to use parcel motel as the page doesn’t show up with Irish addresses.
    Might upgrade once more become available

Advertisement