Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lock down turbo trainers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

got my kickr snap today and set it up for zwift, i jumped straight into a 30 minute ERG mode workout thinking sure twill be grand :D didnt grasp just how hard holding 250watts is for 3 minutes haha, all seems to be working grand though. Is there anything i should be testing on it in particular to make sure ive got a good one?

Make sure to do the calibration spindown once a week at least. They say it only takes 20seconds but don't make it clear that you'll need to cycle for about 10mins or so to warm it up before the calibration to get it as accurate as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭lissard

One thing I have found is to only connect one app at a time. The Kickr gets really confused if both the Wahoo app and say Zwift are connecting at the same time. When this happens you get a very intermittent response from the trainer. On a long climb you could go from working at a sustained power output, then suddenly nothing, then suddenly 600W which is no fun at all when you're fecked. I am now doing the following for spindowns and I find it works well.
    - Turn on the trainer
    - Connect via Wahoo app
    - Perform spindown
    - Kill Wahoo app - turn off bluetooth on the phone.
    - Power off the trainer and leave for 30 seconds
    - Now power on again and connect ot Zwift on the PC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

I was one of the lucky ones. I could see how this pandemic would affect us cyclists outdoors and was smart about it. I got in early and sourced a smart trainer on Amazon for $749, the You-Hoo Licker Core.

it's compatible with all the major cycling apps and my commodore 64.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Doc07

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    I was one of the lucky ones. I could see how this pandemic would affect us cyclists outdoors and was smart about it. I got in early and sourced a smart trainer on Amazon for $749, the You-Hoo Licker Core.

it's compatible with all the major cycling apps and my commodore 64.

Great, always new the old Commodore would comeback someday. Must dig it out my Atari 2600 and get training

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

had a bit of a scary one tonight on the trainer, been using my standard Continental Grand Prix 4000S II Tyre on the back until the trainer specific tyre i ordered comes. Fecking tyres sidewall exploded out :eek: scared the crap out of me haha, suppose better it happen on the trainer than the road if it was anybit compromised. Maybe i tightened the roller up too much but i didnt think i had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

had a bit of a scary one tonight on the trainer, been using my standard Continental Grand Prix 4000S II Tyre on the back until the trainer specific tyre i ordered comes. Fecking tyres sidewall exploded out :eek: scared the crap out of me haha, suppose better it happen on the trainer than the road if it was anybit compromised. Maybe i tightened the roller up too much but i didnt think i had.

Ah, so that’s why Zwift avatars wear helmets! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭ratracer

Jeez, I’d read that Zwift we’re putting in a crash feature, but that’s just ridiculous :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Never knew indoor training could be so exciting

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

My Turbo Muin B+ II is making an almighty racket since I tried my one and only race.

Now it's a few years old, and doesn't owe me much, but would like to know it's okay for a few months at least, though nothing visibly wrong and is working okay otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭theshadow

Anyone know of any smart trainers for sale at this late stage? Preference is Kickr Core but would consider a new, refurb or second hand Kickr or Neo. I think I'm too late though :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

theshadow wrote: »
    Anyone know of any smart trainers for sale at this late stage? Preference is Kickr Core but would consider a new, refurb or second hand Kickr or Neo. I think I'm too late though :(

Best thing... go to chain reactions and put an email watch on a few for when they come back into stock.(Do same for wiggle... they are same company but ime update their stock position first!) Do the same for mantel. But be prepared to buy instantly as it will be a lottery. I missed out on CR even though my order was processed. But I have a Neo in the post from afar let’s say!!mantel getting the Neo back on the 17th they hope...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,728 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Tacx Flux, am i just causing myself multiple issues by getting one?

My budget is limited & options are as well. DCR seems so so on this model which worries me.

Anyone using one? Are the power readings that far off?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I have one for the last two years or so (and bought second hand but very lightly used) and haven't had issues with it (touch wood).

Had a few connectivity problems / drops from Zwift in the beginning but that seems to have been more a Zwift on PC issue which is now resolved, and a few issues with cadence reading but it is working ok for me (low thousands of km so far).

I don't have a separate power meter so can't really comment on the accuracy of the readings.

If I was buying one again, I'd just make sure to buy new with warranty. There is a Facebook group where a lot of owners have had issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭Charlie69

dahat wrote: »
    Tacx Flux, am i just causing myself multiple issues by getting one?

My budget is limited & options are as well. DCR seems so so on this model which worries me.

Anyone using one? Are the power readings that far off?

I have the Tacx flux S which seems to be working okay so far but I'm fairly sure the power readings are way off, I'm struggling to hold 200W even though my FTP was measured at 295. Anyone else having this problem?

That's seems like a calibration issue? If it's out by 100watts @ 295 watts then something is badly wrong for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭thelawman

Bikeology in Naas, have2 tacx neo, if anyone still looking,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

Anyone recommend a turbo trainer?

thelawman wrote: »
    Bikeology in Naas, have2 tacx neo, if anyone still looking,

Looking for the €1300 as well!

That trainer seems to be the best one can get though, well worth investing if cash is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭letape

Has anyone tried the Lidl silvercrest floor fan? Available from today:

https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/diy-deals/floor-fan/p40346

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

letape wrote: »

I have something like this, and it is good. Lots of air volume and three speeds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭joey100

Yep I use something similar too with a radio controlled socket and remote. Works well and I can turn it on and off from the bike. Wifi socket would work too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭nilhg

In have the Draper equivalent, works well, I use a bamboo cane as a remote, usually can get the right button first time.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭letape

Thanks guys. The wife told me we’re not putting a fan in the house! I can use the turbo trainer outside, apparently!

The Honeywell one from Amazon is about half the size. Might be okay with the wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Thanks guys. The wife told me we’re not putting a fan in the house! I can use the turbo trainer outside, apparently!

Outside is by far the best place to be on the turbo! I've had mine on the patio for the last month or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Weepsie wrote: »
    The Honeywell one from Amazon is about half the size. Might be okay with the wife.

I use the honeywell turbo fan aswell.... It "blows" everything else out the park!...

It's nice and tidy though does the job.

bike24 have a handful of basic turbos in stock for between 180-300 from Elite and Cycleops

• Registered Users Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭meercat

Picked one up today and used it this evening. Great job. You’ll need one for indoors at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Wiggle say they have the Tacx Neo 2T in stock:

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/tacx-neo-2t-smart-trainer/

It looks like I grabbed the last Wahoo Kicker pre-order in Cycle Superstore last night

edit: they've reappeared fro pre-order, early May

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

Good to see stock reappearing. This 2km limit is dragging on

cycle superstore with the Cycling Ireland discount is the cheapest kickr you'll get too (from what I've seen)

Advertisement