Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RCD - 5mA

Options
  • 23-03-2020 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

Hi, I bought something from the US that says it must be plugged in to a GFCI. From what I've read online they're called RCDs over here but ones that I see available online are 30mA whereas from what I've read the American GFCIs are 5mA. Anybody know where I could get a 5mA plug-in RCD? Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Tropicalaa

68508224 wrote: »
    Hi, I bought something from the US that says it must be plugged in to a GFCI. From what I've read online they're called RCDs over here but ones that I see available online are 30mA whereas from what I've read the American GFCIs are 5mA. Anybody know where I could get a 5mA plug-in RCD? Thanks for any help.

The RCD in the board here will suffice ,no need for anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭68508224

Tropicalaa wrote: »
    The RCD in the board here will suffice ,no need for anything else

Sorry not quite sure what you mean Tropicalaa. Would you mind explaining?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

68508224 wrote: »
    Sorry not quite sure what you mean Tropicalaa. Would you mind explaining?

They mean that the sockets already are protected by a 30ma RCD in the distrubution board (fuseboard) in the house.

And so there is no need for a separate plug in one. 30ma is fine.

What is the item, is it suitable for 230v?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭68508224

Bruthal wrote: »
    They mean that the sockets already are protected by a 30ma RCD in the distrubution board (fuseboard) in the house.

And so there is no need for a separate plug in one. 30ma is fine.

What is the item, is it suitable for 230v?

Ah ok thanks Bruthal. It's a floatation tank, something broadly similar to a hot tub. There are heating pads which heat the water and a filter unit. Both say international versions on them rated 220-240v so think they are suitable.

Advertisement