Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dental treatment - the Megathread

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Try as I might I see nothing on the roadmap indicating when dentists are reopening (private hospitals and clinics too).

Is there any plan in relation to this, or is it wait and see?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

My dentist has reopened for non emergency treatments. They rang me yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

That was a fast response!

I don't think the private hospitals have any time-frame though..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,488 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

That was a fast response!

I don't think the private hospitals have any time-frame though..

The Government effectively took over nearly 20 private hospitals at the beginning of April to provide additional capacity ahead of an anticipated surge in demand due to Covid-19. They won’t reopen for private treatments until they are released back to their owners.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

I work in a referral dental practice.
    Opened last week (18th.) and have been open for emergencies most of the time by appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭leche solara

I got a call from my dentist on Monday confirming an appointment for today that was made months ago before the pandemic. I told them I thought my appointment would be cancelled but they said they were fully reopening from that day.

It was only a cleaning with the hygienist and I went to it this morning. Hygienist could barely be seen under all the ppe - scrubs, overalls, gloves, mask, visor, hairnet. I'm sure the poor girl was baked in all that gear. With all the protection around her face I could barely understand a word she said. Price had gone up significantly and when I asked about it was told that they had to put the price up temporarily to pay for all the ppe. Seemed like they wanted me to pay for it all. I wonder how "temporary" it will be. Probably part of the new normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

I got a call from my dentist on Monday confirming an appointment for today that was made months ago before the pandemic. I told them I thought my appointment would be cancelled but they said they were fully reopening from that day.

It was only a cleaning with the hygienist and I went to it this morning. Hygienist could barely be seen under all the ppe - scrubs, overalls, gloves, mask, visor, hairnet. I'm sure the poor girl was baked in all that gear. With all the protection around her face I could barely understand a word she said. Price had gone up significantly and when I asked about it was told that they had to put the price up temporarily to pay for all the ppe. Seemed like they wanted me to pay for it all. I wonder how "temporary" it will be. Probably part of the new normal.

I hate going to the dentist but I really like my dentists accent. Listening to him talk to his assistant or nurse makes the dental visit a little bit easier. Fairly disappointed reading this that his accent might be drowned out on me. I'm due a cleaning soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

Beware the Covid Tariff .. Smiles Dental are applying a 6 euro fee to the price of a basic check up and any basic procedure that doesn't produce aerosols (tiny droplets)

They are applying a whopping 18 euros to the price of any procedure that produces aerosols .. some extractions / fillings etc .. basically anything that might involve a drill ...

Plusd I would love to see a before covid price list and compare it to now to see if the price of their procedures have increased in addition to the 'covid tariff'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Polar101

reg114 wrote: »
    Beware the Covid Tariff

That's disappointing to hear, but I guess it's not surprising that it's the customer who is paying for the extra costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,488 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

reg114 wrote: »
    Beware the Covid Tariff .. Smiles Dental are applying a 6 euro fee to the price of a basic check up and any basic procedure that doesn't produce aerosols (tiny droplets)

They are applying a whopping 18 euros to the price of any procedure that produces aerosols .. some extractions / fillings etc .. basically anything that might involve a drill ...

Plusd I would love to see a before covid price list and compare it to now to see if the price of their procedures have increased in addition to the 'covid tariff'

As long as there is a risk of contracting Covid 19 in the community, PPE will be necessary, so it is here to stay until a vaccine is found. The PPE is expensive and like every other industry, if costs of providing a service increase, the price increases. This is not particular to dentistry. Some Clinics are not charging extra, I have decided not to for the time being as I believe the optics aren’t great straight after we open, but as I order more PPE, I will be charging the additional cost of the PPE.

By the way, you can check website pages/prices using Wayback Machine.

Advertisement