Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC sudden gone very slow

Options
  • 23-03-2020 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I built this pc some years ago and its been flying along until yesterday. At first I noticed YouTube videos were acting funny and then the net felt a bit sluggish. So I put it down to everyone being at home and on the net at same time.

However, I noticed that when I went to watch a movie (not on the net) it was sluggish and was't displaying right.

Then this morning the pc shut down altogether by itself. So I opened it up and noticed there was A LOT of dust in there. Assuming this was the issue I removed as much dust as I could and the pc turned on after but it was very slow and sluggish and I'm just waiting for it to conk out again!

Any ideas? dust damage?

EDIT: It seems to have gone back to normal now. But thats after 5 mins on. I am sure it will go again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

If heatsink is clogged with "wool", you might be facing overheating issue and system throttled down to preserve itself.

UEFI might have utility's to monitor temps/fan speed, third party soft optional
    Inspect/clean throughout you box. Take precautions if using vacuum cleaner(ESD)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

If heatsink is clogged with "wool", you might be facing overheating issue and system throttled down to preserve itself.

EUFI might have utility's to monitor temps/fan speed, third party soft optional
    Inspect/clean throughout you box. Take precautions if using vacuum cleaner(ESD)

Thanks for that. Heatsink being the fan etc above the CPU?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

py2006 wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Heatsink being the fan etc above the CPU?
    yes....
    you build PC yourself didn't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

yes....
    you build PC yourself didn't you?

hah yes sorry, a good few years ago now! A bit out of touch.

Advertisement