Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moss

Options
  • 23-03-2020 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭

I have a lot of moss in the garden this year..
    And ideas on how to kill it off..
    A kill and feed mix in liquid form would be handy as I have a sprayer..
    The are is about 15mtrs X 15 mtrs.
    Thanks for any info..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

Is your garden large. We recently bought a rake scarifier in Aldi. This will remove thatch a moss. Mow lawn quite low. I then scarify and rake. You could spray the lawn with a solution of Iron Sulphate that can be bought in powder form and dissolved in water for your sprayer. It will turn moss and grass black brown for a few weeks. Maybe a tad early for this type of treatment as need the grass to be actively growing. Maybe early April..if weather promised nice for a week or so. Lawn will look terrible for 3 weeks or so. You could overseed with some grass seed to improve thickness of grass in spare areas.
    This is what I do every year/ second year depending on how bad the moss is..hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

Meant to say if you use the iron sulphate don’t let it get on tarmac or footpaths as it will ruin them..

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

I’d scarify and aerate the lawn and add a bit of sand. We did that and it lasted about 3 years, had to repeat this year. Also if you can improve drainage by adding pipes under the lawn if it’s water logged that helps. We did that and there was a huge improvement.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Just bought a Wolf Garten Scarifier with wheels (small front garden grass area). Had it out there now.......brilliant piece of kit. Moss coming up easily and not as back breaking as I used to try and rake it out. A God send really.

It's blades are adjustable. It's really good. Took out about a wheelbarrow load in about 20 minutes. Game on!

Advertisement