Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelled and Rescheduled gigs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

• Registered Users Posts: 38,402 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Eod100 wrote: »

Yeah but I'm rooting for the UK as it will show one of the correct ways of getting out of this covid hell

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Yeah but I'm rooting for the UK as it will show one of the correct ways of getting out of this covid hell

True. It just might be a bit early but if they can do it safely fair play to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,

Anyone had any contact re The National gig in Docklands, Limerick? Not a peep from Dolans about it.
    Thanks,
    Pa

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi,

Anyone had any contact re The National gig in Docklands, Limerick? Not a peep from Dolans about it.
    Thanks,
    Pa

I've tickets for the Marquee gig myself. No nothing yet. Say could be like last year will announce postponed in April say and then new date within a few weeks after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Eod100 wrote: »
    True. It just might be a bit early but if they can do it safely fair play to them!

Reading and Leeds sold out today on the back of huge demand it seems.

A quick cash grab by the promoters, I think its highly unlikely that these festivals will go ahead in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Zardoz wrote: »

A quick cash grab by the promoters, I think its highly unlikely that these festivals will go ahead in August.

Wouldnt call it a quick cash grab as that suggests its something wrong being done. The live events industry is on its knees due to covid and if they get some income to help tide them over then is that a bad thing?
    They will likely be cancelling it later in the year but if these all help keep these events going into 2022 then all's good.
    There's a lot of events staff who've had no income for nearly a year and wont have much this year either.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Graspop Festival in Belgium which was due to take place in June as been postponed to 2022

• Registered Users Posts: 12,810 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I think theres a great chance. What the UK are basically saying is that once everyone is vaxxed life goes back to normal and they'll have to deal with the consequences.

The virus isn't going away so we cant stay in lockdown forever. End of the Road sold out yesterday aswell.

I dont think it will happen either tbh. Lot of issues with insurance, whether they would get government approval in time etc. Very much up in the air. Good article here on issues.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/music-festivals-2021-reading-leeds-covid-b1807316.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 instanel

How likely is it that gnr will go ahead in june? A large proportion of the country still won't be vaccinated by june... is it more realistic to expect it will postponed until 2022?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,717 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

instanel wrote: »
    How likely is it that gnr will go ahead in june? A large proportion of the country still won't be vaccinated by june... is it more realistic to expect it will postponed until 2022?

Based on current predictions, yes. That is open to change if things happen in the meantime.

There could be positive influences such as a huge influx of vaccines.

However, the government's ability to somehow always manage to **** everything up is going to be a negative influence.

TLDR - too early to tell IMHO

instanel wrote: »

Zero chance.

GNR wont be touring Europe until they can play all the dates on the European tour and that wont be possible this summer.

Wouldnt call it a quick cash grab as that suggests its something wrong being done. The live events industry is on its knees due to covid and if they get some income to help tide them over then is that a bad thing?
    They will likely be cancelling it later in the year but if these all help keep these events going into 2022 then all's good.
    There's a lot of events staff who've had no income for nearly a year and wont have much this year either.

Benn has a history for making disingenuous statements.

Last March he had this to say
    I do not expect to have to postpone or cancel Electric Picnic because of coronavirus. “I’m not worried about it at all. I’m full steam ahead unless the governments here and in the UK say we can’t go ahead... I’m 100 per cent of the belief that by June we will all be over the hump and we will all have forgotten about it, quite frankly, and all you buggers” – the media – “will find something else to write about it.

Only last month his colleague Denis Desmond in MCD had this to say
    The boss of MCD, Denis Desmond is expressing confidence Electric Picnic and Longitude music festivals will proceed this summer.
    In an interview, Mr Desmond said “there is no reason other than logistics around the roll out of the vaccines here why this summer cannot happen”.
    “I am hugely optimistic and I don’t see any reason why we shouldn’t be back this summer staging concerts,” he said

Benn's recent statement was made to put pressure on the UK government and also to boost demand in the festivals and concert market .

It certainly did the latter with Reading & Leeds and Creamfields selling out yesterday.

I think he jumped the gun a bit, its highly unlikely that a 3-4 day camping festival with 75-105k people attending with no social distancing would be allowed to go ahead this summer.

Israel's vaccination programme is ahead of the UK and their easing of restrictions is much slower than what the UK is proposing.

Livenations shareprice has recovered to pre pandemic levels, the rollover strategy is working well and Benn knows that its effectively a no lose situation announcing that he is extremely confident that the festivals will go ahead this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 instanel

Zero chance.

GNR wont be touring Europe until they can play all the dates on the European tour and that wont be possible this summer.

Cool thanks

Benn has a history for making disingenuous statements.

Last March he had this to say

Only last month his colleague Denis Desmond in MCD had this to say

Benn's recent statement was made to put pressure on the UK government and also to boost demand in the festivals and concert market .

It certainly did the latter with Reading & Leeds and Creamfields selling out yesterday.

I think he jumped the gun a bit, its highly unlikely that a 3-4 day camping festival with 75-105k people attending with no social distancing would be allowed to go ahead this summer.

Israel's vaccination programme is ahead of the UK and their easing of restrictions is much slower than what the UK is proposing.

Livenations shareprice has recovered to pre pandemic levels, the rollover strategy is working well and Benn knows that its effectively a no lose situation announcing that he is extremely confident that the festivals will go ahead this summer.

Yea for Boris's sake he better hope there is no hick ups between now and June because there will be mayhem.

Sadly can't see any large outdoor gigs happening this summer in Ireland with most likely rescheduled again esp the Hella Mega tour (bloody curse on that bloody thing)

I'm really hoping we might see 3Arena/Olympia gigs later in the year but the incompetence by our leaders in regards allowing mass gatherings will prevent that and also having the real leaders in NPHET who are cautious as anything

Id say we will have gigs before the end of the year imo if the target is to have people vaccinated by September we should be fine.

The only gigs I have booked is Jools Holland(October) and then The Book of Mormon (Dec)

Also I see Thom Yorke has cancelled his European tour for summer 2021

Yea for Boris's sake he better hope there is no hick ups between now and June because there will be mayhem.

June 21st is the earliest date that all restrictions can be removed but the decision on each stage will be based on data not dates, and government will move cautiously to keep infection rates under control.

The DCMS (Department for Culture, Media and Sport) hasn’t actually given the all-clear for large-scale music events to take place in 2021.
    What it has said is that it’s been working with representatives from industries and civil societies to explore when and how events with larger crowd sizes and less social distancing will be able to return safely. This includes music festivals, plus sports events, large weddings and conferences.
    From April, the government will run a number of pilot events using various safety measures, to see what the outcome is of holding larger events.
    These findings from different sectors will be used to determine whether it will be safe to lift restrictions.

Leeds and Reading Festival also has no insurance .

I think its highly unlikely that festivals go ahead in the UK this summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭hkjohn

June 21st is the earliest date that all restrictions can be removed but the decision on each stage will be based on data not dates, and government will move cautiously to keep infection rates under control.

The DCMS (Department for Culture, Media and Sport) hasn’t actually given the all-clear for large-scale music events to take place in 2021.
    What it has said is that it’s been working with representatives from industries and civil societies to explore when and how events with larger crowd sizes and less social distancing will be able to return safely. This includes music festivals, plus sports events, large weddings and conferences.
    From April, the government will run a number of pilot events using various safety measures, to see what the outcome is of holding larger events.
    These findings from different sectors will be used to determine whether it will be safe to lift restrictions.

Leeds and Reading Festival also has no insurance .

I think its highly unlikely that festivals go ahead in the UK this summer.

Interesting that not one press story says how many TX have been sold for L and R (Capacity for R in 2019 was apparently 105,000)

Given that crowds at events are likely to be restricted (current proposed limit is apparently 4,000 pax), there is no way L and R could have applied for and gotten licenses at this point.

Don't want to pee on anyones parade, but the fact that they have jumped the gun means they will probably find it hard to get them, too.

FWIW, the latest news is that the UK govt is exploring ways to underwrite cancellation insurance that would make it easier and more likely for festivals to go ahead

hkjohn wrote: »
    Interesting that not one press story says how many TX have been sold for L and R (Capacity for R in 2019 was apparently 105,000)

Given that crowds at events are likely to be restricted (current proposed limit is apparently 4,000 pax), there is no way L and R could have applied for and gotten licenses at this point.

Don't want to pee on anyones parade, but the fact that they have jumped the gun means they will probably find it hard to get them, too.

FWIW, the latest news is that the UK govt is exploring ways to underwrite cancellation insurance that would make it easier and more likely for festivals to go ahead

I always thought Reading/Leeds were like 60-80k capacities.

Yea Id be shocked if it goes ahead but its clever for likes of Benn and other festival bookers because if they have sold out all tickets for this year it means the company/bookers have some money coming in. Even if it rolls over to 2022 id say the majority will be happy to let their money roll over too.

It seems most European festivals are either postponing/cancelling for 2021 or paying close attention to what's going on before they announce anything, which in the long run is probably better option.

I always thought Reading/Leeds were like 60-80k capacities.

Yea Id be shocked if it goes ahead but its clever for likes of Benn and other festival bookers because if they have sold out all tickets for this year it means the company/bookers have some money coming in. Even if it rolls over to 2022 id say the majority will be happy to let their money roll over too.

It seems most European festivals are either postponing/cancelling for 2021 or paying close attention to what's going on before they announce anything, which in the long run is probably better option.

Reading is 105k and Leeds is 75k.
    Benn is selling the full capacity this year, he has repeatedly said that a reduced capacity isn't financially viable.

Its one thing allowing a one off big concert go ahead, where you have alot of people congregating in a common area for a few hours.
    Its a completely different thing having a 4 day camping event with the same amount of people.
    There would be alot more mixing.

hkjohn wrote: »

During the Q4 2020 earnings call this week, Live Nation CEO Michael Rapino confirmed that Reading & Leeds had sold 100,000 tickets in 72 hours, while Creamfields had sold all of its 70,000 capacity out in just 48 hours.
    Creamfields capacity in 2019 was 70k so they are selling the full capacities for the festivals.

When new gigs can go on sale i can see prices going up a bit. There already very expensive as it is but people will flock back and buy em

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭Penfailed

When new gigs can go on sale i can see prices going up a bit. There already very expensive as it is but people will flock back and buy em

You've a very pessimistic outlook...

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I doubt it. With a significant portion of society likely coming off PUP (and the age profile of the majority on PUP), it's a bad look to gouge punters now when they've had little to no money or have been struggling. And with ongoing scepticism on when a gig may actually happen, raising prices would kill advance sales.

I could be wrong but l think they'll stay fairly static.

Download festival in the UK has been cancelled, Kiss/Biffy/Maiden will be the headliners in 2022

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭tommybrees

Any word on green day at the RDS?

• Advertisement

tommybrees wrote: »
    Any word on green day at the RDS?

I dont think they will be playing here but the 1st UK show is a few days after Borris's reopening date. I cant see them just coming over for the 3 UK shows and not playing the other 5 EU shows(Dublin included). I know all 3 bands were set to play other festivals around the same time too

Advertisement