Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelled and Rescheduled gigs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Lost Brothers at St Luke's Cork already rescheduled to July now postponed until November. No word on Bell X1 gig later this month there yet as far as I can see. https://twitter.com/LiveAtStLukes/status/1258696856076517376?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 38,399 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

2 and a half years worth of shows would be detrimental for the live music industry not to mention the venues too

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

The Phantom of the Opera, due to take place from 10 June - 18 July 2020, will now not go ahead as scheduled. Bord Gáis Energy Theatre, together with the producers of the show, are working hard to arrange a new date, and should it be possible to reschedule, we'll be in touch to let you know.

https://bordgaisenergytheatre.ie › artist

PTH2009 wrote: »
    2 and a half years worth of shows would be detrimental for the live music industry not to mention the venues too

Big time. But not sure would physical distancing be possible to implement in venues and if so whether people would comply and then whether the economies of gigs would survive such a reduction in capacity. In Dublin say, maybe you would get some fans to pay significant mark-up for reduced capacity gigs but outside Dublin say it would be very hard.

I don't know what the answer/solution is but I know the public health concerns will take precedence over businesses of any sorts until vaccination or virus contained completely.

Saw interesting post on Nialler9 about gigs and shows making resurgence. Won't work for many artists or many restaurants but could be an idea as a stop-gap for some who could. https://nialler9.com/the-return-of-live-music-why-dont-we-bring-back-dinner-a-show/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Eod100 wrote: »
    Saw interesting post on Nialler9 about gigs and shows making resurgence. Won't work for many artists or many restaurants but could be an idea as a stop-gap for some who could. https://nialler9.com/the-return-of-live-music-why-dont-we-bring-back-dinner-a-show/

Most restaurants would be way too small to host a dinner and a show if social distancing was still around.

• Advertisement

Mr.S wrote: »
    I can see that happening in only a very small number of places. I'm also not mad on the idea of eating dinner and then watching a show from my table.

Socially distant shows sound horrible, but I suppose it's better then nothing. Seated venues could very easily do it.

e.g

NCH / Olympia - every 2 seats blocked off
    3 Area - curtains of shame and the downstairs seating config used and then every 2 seats blocked off.
    Vicar Street - block off every other table downstairs and limit it to 2 per table. Balcony seating same as above.

I'm sure if you run the numbers it then probably doesn't make economic sense to put on a reduced capacity show.

It's all moot anyway, I doubt any big international acts will travel here in 2020 - they will all favour domestic shows first.

Summer 2021 is going to be epic.

Yeah ye are right. I guess it's the idea that gigs won't happen for a while but if artists could play the restaurants where it could work it would be a win win for artists, fans and restaurants.

Yeah I don't think there will be many maybe any gigs this year but more thinking even next year because until there's a vaccine think social distancing will be around for medium to long term.

The promoters for some of the bigger shows could take the piss and not announce the new dates til later on in the year

They rightly should have the rescheduled dates released before the original start date of the tour for 2020

The hella mega tour was scheduled to start the 24th May

The promoters for some of the bigger shows could take the piss and not announce the new dates til later on in the year

They rightly should have the rescheduled dates released before the original start date of the tour for 2020

Yeah hoping the National's tour gets rescheduled by start of next month but could be another while yet

Yeah hoping the National's tour gets rescheduled by start of next month but could be another while yet

Duran Duran in St Annes Park is only a month away and still not rescheduled or cancelled

have transport paid since a few weeks back (before Feb) and be nice to know like

• Registered Users Posts: 21,383 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Rock Werchter had a calamity in announcing their cancellation. No refunds unless had a very good excuse for not being able to go in 2021 or 2022. People abroad who obviously couldn't plan were told it wasnt a good enough excuse, since rowed back on. Refunds not been given till September though, seems farcical.

So yeah, delaying dates is poor enough in one sense. Think of all that interest building up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

It will be outdoor gigs that will be first to return I think. Possibly fully seated to ensure social distancing. I could maybe see this working? Not sure if it would be financially viable though.

MadYaker wrote: »
    It will be outdoor gigs that will be first to return I think. Possibly fully seated to ensure social distancing. I could maybe see this working? Not sure if it would be financially viable though.

Realistically only about 4-5 months a year outdoor gigs are possible with our climate

Although i knw Croke Park and Aviva have hosted concerts in the autumn time before

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

In Conversation with the Sopranos moved to 27 June 2021.

I know we were rightly taking the piss out of those hologram gigs but I wonder could you see bands play live to empty venues and a ticket to that stream is sold. Obviously it's nothing like a live gig but if it's the choice between that or nothing until venues come back. There wouldn't be the physical limit of capacity so could potentially have a global audience with Irish people abroad depending on times of gigs.

I wonder would there be much demand? Could help artists and venues get income streams. There would be less staff, security and insurance costs. They would lose out on merch, drink and cloakroom sales though.

Besides the live gigs from home, Other Voices have been doing live free gigs from Whelans and National Gallery lately. Think Mick Flannery had been charging for some of his live streams from home lately.

If it was a choice of that or nothing and helping smaller venues and artists stay viable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Leaving two seats free in a row doesn't work if you have people sitting behind or in front of you. You need a minimum 2 metre radius per person...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Leaving two seats free in a row doesn't work if you have people sitting behind or in front of you. You need a minimum 2 metre radius per person...

Not necessarily. People who live together could sit beside each other as they don’t need to adhere to social distancing. Could get messy sorting that out at a gig though.

MadYaker wrote: »
    Not necessarily. People who live together could sit beside each other as they don’t need to adhere to social distancing. Could get messy sorting that out at a gig though.

Yeah but even still would still need 2m gap behind and in front of them so would probably need an empty row if not 2 in front and behind occupied seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

the expectation is that the 2 meter will eventually be reduced to 1 or even .5m

we're going to have a situation where you will be sitting beside someone, it probably means masks are essential in that scenario, but its doable

Live At St Luke's John Grant gigs rescheduled for July, now rescheduled until November.

No word yet on the BellX1 gigs there later this month but presumably will be cancelled or postponed before then.

https://www.facebook.com/liveatstlukes/photos/a.540149686124121/1730865587052519/?type=3&theater

bennyl10 wrote: »
    the expectation is that the 2 meter will eventually be reduced to 1 or even .5m

we're going to have a situation where you will be sitting beside someone, it probably means masks are essential in that scenario, but its doable

wearing masks would be grand for some gigs

Slipknot, Ghost and the likes :D

Still no word on Duran Duran next month

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

wearing masks would be grand for some gigs

Slipknot, Ghost and the likes :D

Funny you should say that because at the recent Ghost gig in the Point, they had their masks for sale but you could only buy them after the gig. They didn't want anyone wearing them during the gig for what I presume were security reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Electric picnic cancelled 😳

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I know it wont be going ahead but does anyone know if Knockanstockan was ever supposed to be held this year? Dont think i ever saw an announcement and was just wondering if they were taking a year off regardless of what happened?

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I know it wont be going ahead but does anyone know if Knockanstockan was ever supposed to be held this year? Dont think i ever saw an announcement and was just wondering if they were taking a year off regardless of what happened?

On hiatus this year it looks like. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.joe.ie/amp/music/knockanstockan-hiatus-692680

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Muahahaha wrote: »

Im pretty sure it was cancelled before all of this due to an issue with them using the site going forward i think?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

No more moshing for a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭Penfailed

With EP now cancelled, the rescheduled Vantastival is looking dodgy...

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Yeah I didn't think EP was ever going ahead and was a small bit optimistic of gigs this year after government's roadmap but now when I see gigs postponed for November, December or anytime this year it seems optimistic.

Hard to see a way back for gigs in the short to medium term unfortunately.

Yeah I didn't think EP was ever going ahead and was a small bit optimistic of gigs this year after government's roadmap but now when I see gigs postponed for November, December or anytime this year it seems optimistic.

Hard to see a way back for gigs in the short to medium term unfortunately.

True

Wait and see I suppose its amazingly only mid May

• Advertisement

True

Wait and see I suppose its amazingly only mid May

Ah I know and a lot can improve between now and then. I'll always be hopeful that they will but think even if they are back people could be reluctant to go to crowded gigs. Interesting times to say the least!

Advertisement