Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP Z420 Gaming upgrade

Options
  • 24-03-2020 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hi, have not done any PC gaming but I would like to upgrade a HP Z420 to allow gaming.

HPZ420

Xeon E5-2670
    16GB DDR ECC Ram
    Windows 10
    I understand that the power supply is 600w but this processor is power hungry.

Advice / suggestions please for:

Graphics card, budget around €200

Monitor, to work with above graphics card, budget around €175.
    Would I get a Free-sync monitor for this price?
    Is a Free-sync advisable?
    Do all graphics cards work with Free sync?

Keyboard is a mechanical better? Wireless or wired?

Where to buy?

Mouse wireless or wired?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

Does the PSU have a 6-pin connector? I believe it does have a single 6-pin but that will decide what the best card you can use is. I'm pretty sure that case uses a non-standard PSU, it's physically the same as standard but the pin layout is different so you can't upgrade, so what you have is as good as it gets. I have used a few of those z420 and 220 before.

If it has the six-pin, the best card is a GTX1650 Super. If not, the GTX1650 non-super.

Possibly if there are two molex free you can use a twin molex to 8 pin adaptor, which would allow you to get a GTX1660. But really the GTX1650 Super is a good card really. Only limiting factor vs something like a GTX1660 is the vram, the 1650 only has 4GB versus the 6GB of the 1660.

But generally speaking the GTX1650 Super will run even more intensive newer games at high settings with medium textures just fine. Just be mindful of this, sometimes people don't realise that setting texture settings at higher then is available of their card is what's causing poor performance.

Also no harm to clean your CPU cooler and apply some new thermal paste to ensure the CPU is not getting too hot or throttling or anything, you would ideally want it running at the turbo speed of 3.3ghz all the time while gaming....that CPU is old (but still OK) so that paste will be unchanged for the past 7 or so years.

I will leave the monitor and keyboard/mouse suggestions up to someone else as that wouldn't be my area of expertise.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

KFA make 3 models of GTX 1660 that only requires 1x 6-pin.
    https://geizhals.eu/?cat=gra16_512&xf=5585_1x+6-Pin%7E9816_0005027+-+GTX+1660

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

Cool, didnt know that. Perfect in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭velosolex

Thanks Homelander, I will check the power connections and post here.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭velosolex

Thanks K.O.Koki, would you recommend a monitor suitable for use with this card also a keyboard and mouse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

TBH I'm not great on monitor advice.

But for mouse, the best resource is RocketJumpNinja: https://www.rocketjumpninja.com/

As for keyboard, it really depends on what you want (full-size/TKL/mini) and if you're willing to take the plunge on mechanical. I recommend mechanical keebs with Reds or Browns (Cherry or clones).

Or check youtube for budget keyboard roundups, but if it's not mechanical, just get cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Depending on the version, some of the power supplys will have another 6 pin on the power supply. If it doesn't, its fine to split the 6 pin into dual 6 pin. The cable is rated for around 220 watts, dual 6 pin off a cable will pull 150 watts max.

Advertisement