Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSIA as way to combat virus’ economic impact

• 24-03-2020 1:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭

I’ve heard quantative easing and helicopter money as ways to combat the current financial crisis.

An SSIA would have the high level of return available that it would bring huge money into the government from those that still have it in piles (and there are many) and allow the government to transfer the cash to a recovery plan for the self employed and the newly unemployed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,674 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I don't get you?

The original SSIA was designed to encourage saving, and cost the Govt as they added to people savings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Geuze wrote: »
    I don't get you?

The original SSIA was designed to encourage saving, and cost the Govt as they added to people savings.

Where does the money go that people save in an SSIA?

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭kingstevii

Nobody has a penny. Nevermind trying to save in an ssia..

kingstevii wrote: »

Well that’s bollocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭Allinall

Dots1982 wrote: »

It sat in bank accounts all over the country.

I think what you are proposing is a government issued bond that would be bought by the general public, with a generous interest rate to attract investors.

Whilst laudable, the government can borrow virtually as much as they want at historically low interest rates, so I'm not sure why they would pay more to you or me.

• Advertisement

Into a bank account, and the bank then lend it to borrowers.

kingstevii wrote: »

Irish households have over 100 bn on deposit.

I’ve heard quantative easing and helicopter money as ways to combat the current financial crisis.

Follow this blog for possible economics responses:

https://marginalrevolution.com/

Allinall wrote: »
    It sat in bank accounts all over the country.

I think what you are proposing is a government issued bond that would be bought by the general public, with a generous interest rate to attract investors.

Whilst laudable, the government can borrow virtually as much as they want at historically low interest rates, so I'm not sure why they would pay more to you or me.

Fair point. It would put our own dormant money to work rather than Depend on foreign capital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

SSIAs take money out of the economy and release it later. That is fine when the economy is ticking along nicely. When this is sorted, we won't want to be taking money out of the economy, we will need ways to generate economic activity. SSIAs are literally the exact opposite of what we will need to do.

• Advertisement

Fair point. It would put our own dormant money to work rather than Depend on foreign capital.

What do you mean by "dormant money"?

All money deposited into banks is lent out.

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    SSIAs take money out of the economy and release it later. That is fine when the economy is ticking along nicely. When this is sorted, we won't want to be taking money out of the economy, we will need ways to generate economic activity. SSIAs are literally the exact opposite of what we will need to do.

Asking again, where does the money go that is being taken out of the economy?

Banks, again.

What do you mean by "dormant money"?

All money deposited into banks is lent out.

True and banks will make decisions on who to loan that money to on the basis of what is good for the bank.

Governments can decisions On what is good for the economy.

Banks, again.

The money would have to go to the government. Basically these with a higher level of return- https://www.statesavings.ie/our-products/4-year-national-solidarity-bond

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

In to the bank account you've inventivised people to put it in to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The money would have to go to the government. Basically these with a higher level of return- https://www.statesavings.ie/our-products/4-year-national-solidarity-bond

So the state would icentivise people to give it money to do what with precisely?

This is an awful badly thought out idea

SSIAs are a deflationary measure in times of strong economic growth, they are no use to assist economic recovery after a shock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,087 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the ECB will have to print money, every other central bank will be doing the same thing. The govt will be keen to get money back into the economy, not have people squirreling it away in savings accounts.

L1011 wrote: »
    So the state would icentivise people to give it money to do what with precisely?

This is an awful badly thought out idea

The government doesn’t need money? It will have a load of money that it will have nothing to do with? That’s what you see happening?

The self employed, businesses and recently unemployed are all grand right now?

• Advertisement

State bonds are completely different to the SSIA scheme. There is no point in the government trying to encourage economic activity while at the same time encouraging people to keep their money in a bank account for a set period of time. It is trying to do two opposite things at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

The issue with QE or Helicopter money is the crntral bank issues it to other banks and people need to borrow it - That wont happen and cause a bottle-neck I think the best option would be a kind of Temporary universal basic income model - Paird via both Drot of social protection and via employer salary suppliment

I’d love the helicopter money For all policy. Put it towards a nice holiday when this is all over. Not much good to ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

I’d love the helicopter money For all policy. Put it towards a nice holiday when this is all over. Not much good to ireland.

This is part of the problem - others would just suppliment savings too

State bonds are completely different to the SSIA scheme.

Ok, would you Use incentives to convert cash piles to state capital to support the struggling sectors or what would you seem as best practice?

Ok, would you Use incentives to convert cash piles to state capital to support the struggling sectors or what would you seem as best practice?

The state can support struggling sectors with money from issuing bonds or new money issued from ECB. They need to encourage people to get spending and have money circulating in the economy again. Saving money is the opposite of what we want.

loyatemu wrote: »
    the ECB will have to print money, every other central bank will be doing the same thing. The govt will be keen to get money back into the economy, not have people squirreling it away in savings accounts.

The ECB has already been creating new money to buy financial assets.

This happened during the last financial crisis, and was restarted last year.

From 1st Nov 2019 the ECB re-started QE at 20bn per month.

https://www.ecb.europa.eu/press/pr/date/2019/html/ecb.mp191212~06d84240ae.en.html

On the 12-March the ECB decided to increase money creation:

https://www.ecb.europa.eu/press/pr/date/2020/html/ecb.mp200312~8d3aec3ff2.en.html

An extra 120bn.

https://www.ecb.europa.eu/mopo/implement/omt/html/index.en.html

They have by now created an extra 2.6 trillion euro.

The state can support struggling sectors with money from issuing bonds or new money issued from ECB. They need to encourage people to get spending and have money circulating in the economy again. Saving money is the opposite of what we want.

You cant spend money in a closed business. The Money has to be more direct via state support. The state has to get that money from somewhere.

That is hypothesis.

What do you think the government should do?

They need to encourage people to get spending and have money circulating in the economy again. Saving money is the opposite of what we want.

Surely we want people to stay at home?

• Advertisement

Surely we want people to stay at home?

For now yes, but not indefinitely. Obviously I am talking about getting the economy going again after the virus has passed.

Advertisement