Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government Benefits Megathread

Options

Comments

JCX BXC wrote: »
    You can't really request money back from this who applied and recieved the payment, considering they were never the conditions of the payment. It's likely the flat rate was applied in order to ensure quick processing and payment of the fees.

Also, why shouldn't students/part time workers be paid? They are out of work due to a governmental order, which is the point of the payment really.

We've an awful attitude towards some students in terms of what benefits they can achieve from the state. Once parents of a student/ student themselves earn over €50k combined, there's no assistance to be recieved. Many work very long hours on top of their studies in order to pay the many bills accrued.

I don't believe anyone said that anyone shouldn't be paid.

The argument was made that people who would never see €350 per week, are benefitting massively, and don't be surprised if the govt. cop onto that and reduce accordingly, as this benefits package is costing them a fortune.

Personally, I reckon they'll give everyone that applies the €350. Then, once the large amount of applications begins to dry up in a week or two, all the people that were working on processing applications will start working on tracking down those that shouldn't have claimed in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭jules5417

roper1664 wrote: »
    I think that this is wholly unfair.

Undoubtedly there are some "scroungers" who were unemployed before the announcement of the increased payment. That's not a new problem

However, there are also plenty of people who were engaging with the department of SP and actively job hunting and interviewing. Now, their chances of gaining employment during this scenario have been hit, due to Covid-19. The same as the people who have lost their job since the announcement of the 350e payment.

People, regardless of the date of their employment termination, are now in the same situation with regards to securing employment and income. Therefore, they should not be treated differently (with the exception of any individuals that the DSP Deciding Officers consider ineligible, due to history of "not

There are loads of jobs in supermarkets which you could earn more than 350 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Galway20188

jules5417 wrote: »

Undoubtedly there are some "scroungers" who were unemployed before the announcement of the increased payment. That's not a new problem

However, there are also plenty of people who were engaging with the department of SP and actively job hunting and interviewing. Now, their chances of gaining employment during this scenario have been hit, due to Covid-19. The same as the people who have lost their job since the announcement of the 350e payment.

People, regardless of the date of their employment termination, are now in the same situation with regards to securing employment and income. Therefore, they should not be treated differently (with the exception of any individuals that the DSP Deciding Officers consider ineligible, due to history of "not

There are loads of jobs in supermarkets which you could earn more than 350 euro.

Yes there’s loads of jobs that pay well like supermarkets but take a part time worker or student who works maybe two days a week, should they receive 350?

Also I’m not saying they dong deserve to be paid because they do but what I’m saying is when I was a student I would max make 150/200 a week I know it’s not all the same but if that’s what a person part time of student makes I don’t think they should get 350

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭dublinbando

I don't know where all these plenty of jobs are? I've applied to hundreds of jobs this week in all kinds of sectors and contract types such as temporary security work, warehouse temp, temp/perm sales assistant jobs and haven't heard a peep back!

I was also unemployed before the 350e payment was announced. Why am I expected to live on less? I genuinely want a job, I am not a scrounger, if anyone has a job for me where I can make 300+ per week please please contact me! I am a young man able for almost any kind of work! I have a full clean driver licence too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Anyone know when the payments are made? Is it different for everyone or is there a particular day the money is transfered.

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Anyone know when the payments are made? Is it different for everyone or is there a particular day the money is transfered.

Tuesday! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

I don't know where all these plenty of jobs are? I've applied to hundreds of jobs this week in all kinds of sectors and contract types such as temporary security work, warehouse temp, temp/perm sales assistant jobs and haven't heard a peep back!

I was also unemployed before the 350e payment was announced. Why am I expected to live on less? I genuinely want a job, I am not a scrounger, if anyone has a job for me where I can make 300+ per week please please contact me! I am a young man able for almost any kind of work! I have a full clean driver licence too!

Could not agree more.

Going to get very interesting when alot of the people getting €350 per week don't have their job to go back to (as they are assuming they will).

Hugely annoying when someone on JSB is thrown into same category as a lifelong JSA claimant and labelled a scrounger who is chancing his/her arm.

This argument that the extra €150 covers the large range of "services" that us JSB recipients can avail of as standard. I don't know about you, but I qualify for flat rate of €203 and no more, by virtue of my tax contributions and fact I have mortgage.

There literally may be a week or 2 in some people claims (anyone pre March 16th or may be 19th im not sure exactly) can only claim the standard rate.

If you have been a solid tax payer and lost your job in late Feb or early March, you have been shafted. In theory, there was damn all time to apply for these ancillary services anyway should you qualify.

Tuesday! :)

Great. Down to my last million. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,273 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Some quotes from a welfare press release

“ On Friday 27 March 2020 payments were issued in respect of 283,000 people who were awarded payment of the Covid-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment by the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection.

These payments are in addition to the 201,000 people in receipt of standard jobseeker payments as of Friday 27 March (an increase of 19,000 on the figure at the end of February).”

“ In total (since launch on the 16th March, 2020), the Department received and processed 389,000 applications for the Covid-19 Unemployment Payment. This is equivalent to a 19 month claim-load in two weeks.”

https://www.gov.ie/en/news/728c73-update-on-payments-awarded-for-covid-19-pandemic-unemployment-paymen/

I hope this explains the reason for flat rate payments. For 389,000 applications (or 320,000 with the duplicates removed) to be individually checked so that they could be adjusted for wages is not feasible

It is a temporary payment, and while a tiny few will get more than their usual pay, the cost of delaying payment to weed them out simply isn’t worth it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 ByrneBrendy

Any advice for me please: I changed jobs in March: finished with a company on 12th March (was full time fir 6yrs) & started a new job 14th March which I was temp laid off from on the Monday 16th: I have applied for emergency benefit straight away but yet to receive anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,796 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I’m a self employed plumber and have to seize work. I was trying to apply online for this 350 payment but it seems I need sign up to the govID card first???

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I’m a self employed plumber and have to seize work. I was trying to apply online for this 350 payment but it seems I need sign up to the govID card first???

Yeah you can only apply online if you have a PSC already. Otherwise you need to send a postal application using this form: https://assets.gov.ie/71472/a026043e90cc4d03bdfb1f3a58f3d7af.pdf

Any advice for me please: I changed jobs in March: finished with a company on 12th March (was full time fir 6yrs) & started a new job 14th March which I was temp laid off from on the Monday 16th: I have applied for emergency benefit straight away but yet to receive anything?

You will receive a payment at some stage this week, most likely tomorrow, and it will be backdated.

Yeah you can only apply online if you have a PSC already. Otherwise you need to send a postal application using this form: https://assets.gov.ie/71472/a026043e90cc4d03bdfb1f3a58f3d7af.pdf

Fair play to you. They make that form very hard to find. Absolute shower of batsards trying to force people to sign up for this card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

No you don't, you can just register a short version with your email address.

I did it fine.

Better to apply online it is faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ByrneBrendy

You will receive a payment at some stage this week, most likely tomorrow, and it will be backdated.

Thanks so much: fingers crossed

easypazz wrote: »
    No you don't, you can just register a short version with your email address.

I did it fine.

Better to apply online it is faster.

I tried that but seemed to hit a wall where only a govID card would get me through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭1882

Do they email people to say it'll be at the post office?
    I still haven't heard anything since I applied on the 17th.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

I'm really confused about illness benefit, it's very complicated to figure out the eligibility criteria. My doctor has certified that I should self isolate for at least 4 weeks as I have a pre-existing medical condition. I've had my hours of work reduced and the reduced hours have been carried out remotely up until this date, however, I'm out of pocket for the other hours which are lost

Do you know if I'm entitled to claim COVID-19 Enhanced Illness benefit at 350EUR due to the doctor certification, even if my employer has given limited working from home hours?

• Advertisement

I tried that but seemed to hit a wall where only a govID card would get me through

I managed it twice, can't remember exactly but it was a bit convoluted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Balmorhea

Does anyone know the process for short term working payment? Working week now reduced from 5 to 2.I cant seem to complete process online as it says govid needs to be verified, intreo offices are closed and unfortunately their phone lines are extremely busy. If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

1882 wrote: »
    Do they email people to say it'll be at the post office?
    I still haven't heard anything since I applied on the 17th.

They will send an email when the money has been deposted in your account apparently. I recieved an email last week to collect my payment in the local post office and the lady behind the counter told me they screwed up a lot of payments last week (to be expected tbh given the scale) and paid into PO instead of bank despite banking details being given. Someone this morning commented that the payment is made on Tuesday's.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

Balmorhea wrote: »
    Does anyone know the process for short term working payment? Working week now reduced from 5 to 2.I cant seem to complete process online as it says govid needs to be verified, intreo offices are closed and unfortunately their phone lines are extremely busy. If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

I went through it last week.You cant apply for emergency 350 so You have to apply for JB.You will have to fill 17 pages of UP1 form and short time work support form UP14.You have to enclose copy of ID,copy of proof of address and letter from employer.They pay around 41 euro per day(you can work max 3 days) you dont work .I have received my X and O forms in 48 hours.Pretty fast I must say but much more paper work involved.I posted the whole lot and it was not a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 30 EvanUpwards

Hey,
    Anybody know anything about applying for the emergency payment while employed on a flexi contract? I was still employed as of last week however last day worked/paid to was in mid February. I've tried contacting DSP but no info yet. I have applied for JSA today but not COVID payment.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Balmorhea

I went through it last week.You cant apply for emergency 350 so You have to apply for JB.You will have to fill 17 pages of UP1 form and short time work support form UP14.You have to enclose copy of ID,copy of proof of address and letter from employer.They pay around 41 euro per day(you can work max 3 days) you dont work .I have received my X and O forms in 48 hours.Pretty fast I must say but much more paper work involved.I posted the whole lot and it was not a problem
    Cheers for that much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 10 jimiseve

Can anyone clarify if a company, which has ceased trading, apply for the Employers Subsidy Scheme when their employees have applied for the €350 COVID unemployment benefit? Can it be just one or the other?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Stupid question but how do they verify this?

"Of these approximately 15,000 did not meet eligibility criteria (for example they were not previously in employment or they were still in employment)"

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    Stupid question but how do they verify this?

"Of these approximately 15,000 did not meet eligibility criteria (for example they were not previously in employment or they were still in employment)"

The computer will say yes or no.

If you were in the "black" economy you won't have accumulated PRSI contributions.

If you are over 66 you won't be getting it.

If you are already on JSA or JSB you won't be getting it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Apologies if this has been answered previously.

My parents are both in their 70s with underlying medical problems and are cocooning. How will they lift their pensions?

Advertisement