Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government Benefits Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    Stupid question but how do they verify this?

"Of these approximately 15,000 did not meet eligibility criteria (for example they were not previously in employment or they were still in employment)"

I'd imagine revenue records. Everything is online now, you can see every payslip and tax paid through the revenue online service. I can only imagine their in-house system is much more thorough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

easypazz wrote: »
    The computer will say yes or no.

If you were in the "black" economy you won't have accumulated PRSI contributions.

If you are over 66 you won't be getting it.

If you are already on JSA or JSB you won't be getting it.

And the currently in Employment bit? Or maybe you have covered it and I don't understand. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭aktelmiele

Anybody go their payment yet and how long did it take?

I know the website says 7 days but wondering what the actual processing time is due to the massive number of applications

easypazz wrote: »
    If you are already on JSA or JSB you won't be getting it.

Anyone already unemployed, that may be chancing their arm by applying for the increased rate, should be given a serious looking into when this all comes to an end, for fraud related stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

And the currently in Employment bit? Or maybe you have covered it and I don't understand. Cheers

Sorry I don't work for them so don't know all the criteria.

If people want definitive answers info@welfare.ie

Nobody here can give a comprehensive answer to any question asked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Plek Trum

Seems people on part time work and in receipt of JB WILL now qualify for the €350?
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0327/1126835-covid-19-payment-part-time-workers/

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭yammagamma

hi been reading throught this but i cant find if it has been asked.

has anyone calculated how tax credits and bands are working with wage subsidy scheme if the employer is not topping up wages as reading on citizens information said more then likely your entitled to tax and usc back on top of the wage subsidy of 70% and your employer pays you this and they claim it back >??
    has anyone done a calculator for this.
    thanks

Income tax, USC, LPT, if applicable, and PRSI are not deducted from the Temporary Wage Subsidy.

In many cases, the payment of the COVID-19 Temporary Wage Subsidy and any additional income paid by the employer will result in the refund of income tax or USC already paid by the employee. Any income tax and USC refunds that arise as a result of the application of tax credits and rate bands can be repaid by the employer and Revenue will also refund this amount to the employer.

i forgot to add that to last post from citizens information

• Registered Users Posts: 10,273 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

"Of these approximately 15,000 did not meet eligibility criteria (for example they were not previously in employment or they were still in employment)"

Not previously in employment = people on jobseekers already or simply people who weren’t working or reviving a payment

People still in employment = people who ticked the ‘currently in employment’ box on the form (eg hours reduced, days cut etc) or people who continue to be paid (checks with revenue)

another question re the subsidy scheme
    is net pay net of normal weekly pension contributions as a friend of mine his weekly net pay is just under the 586 euro with his weekly pension contribution

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

jimiseve wrote: »
    Can anyone clarify if a company, which has ceased trading, apply for the Employers Subsidy Scheme when their employees have applied for the €350 COVID unemployment benefit? Can it be just one or the other?

Yes they can participate in the scheme.The employees will have to cease their claim for the Covid payment from DEASP...if they dont cease it Revenue will be in contact with DEASP and cease it for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

Apologies if this has been answered previously.

My parents are both in their 70s with underlying medical problems and are cocooning. How will they lift their pensions?

If they fill out the Temporary Agent form from the PO they can nominate someone to collect it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Friend of mine got her job seriously reduced because covid pandemic, and she is offered one day week which means something like €500 per month from her employer. She checked out Jobseekr Benefit and it seems if she could get it all together something about €280 per week, much less than if she get reduced completely. But her employer doesn't want to let her go, possibly because she's entitled to some redundancy payment. What about such situation? She's terrified as there is no possible jobs cumming and she is facing homelessness as she doesn't want to go back to her parents farm.
    Is there any possible option she missed as for €350 covid unemployment you have to be officially reduced and Wage Subsidiary Scheme doesn't seems working for everyone?

redundancy rules have changed with the new legisation and the time frame can be extended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Plek Trum

Can anyone clarify - my dad is 68, full time worker and has lost employment due to the pandemic. Does he qualify for Covid19 payment (full time worker, paye , prsi etc). All information states applicants up to age of 66? Can this be right?...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

So if I lost my job March 17th and applied but received nothing I should receive 700 Tuesday?

Am I right?

You should but wether you will or not remains to be seen.

Plek Trum wrote: »
    Can anyone clarify - my dad is 68, full time worker and has lost employment due to the pandemic. Does he qualify for Covid19 payment (full time worker, paye , prsi etc). All information states applicants up to age of 66? Can this be right?...

No he’s not eligible , it’s only for people aged 18 to 66. That’s quite clear on the website. Your dad has his pension?

You had to actually have had a job and have been employed on 13 March to qualify and to have lost that job now.
    People who were not employed at all will have applied. People who are still employed will have applied. These people are not eligible for the payment.

Not entitled. Already eligible for a welfare payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

yammagamma wrote: »
    redundancy rules have changed with the new legisation and the time frame can be extended.

It changed to profit employer rather then employee as far as I see. My friend she works there something like 4 years, this is not a fortune redundancy coming anyway. And she's worried about her current situation, how to manage her rent (hopefully it all will get reduced soon) and other spending for next few months.
    But still going to town once every week for €280 while some others get €350 doing nothing at all is a joke IMHO.

Seems people on part time work and in receipt of JB WILL now qualify for the €350?
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0327/1126835-covid-19-payment-part-time-workers/

Not sure about legislation but government website changes daily and it makes it even harder to follow.
    Week ago it stated "You can apply for the payment if you are aged between 18 and 66 years and(...)you are a part time worker over 18, earn less than € 203 per week and have lost employment due to the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) pandemic" - now it says just "part-time workers".

And citizensinformation.ie for example states that "You cannot claim the Covid-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment, if you:
    Are continuing to get income from your employment or"
    . But this statement can also change following changes on government websites...

(https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/covid19_pandemic_unemployment_payment.html)

• Advertisement

Your dad doesn’t pay PRSI. That’s not payable after 66

This payment is aligned with jobseekers and he’s not eligible to apply for them (and can’t apply for this)

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

Hey, I'm currently filling in the form but when I fill in the 'Country' option as Ireland it says 'please fill in a valid Country'.

What am I doing wrong here? Been at this for about an hour

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Galway20188

Hey, I'm currently filling in the form but when I fill in the 'Country' option as Ireland it says 'please fill in a valid Country'.

What am I doing wrong here? Been at this for about an hour

Maybe you left a space after Ireland, I did it the first time

you have to select ireland that pops up even though its the only country that pops up you must select it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,282 ✭✭✭Tow

has anyone calculated how tax credits and bands are working with wage subsidy scheme if the employer is not topping up wages as reading on citizens information said more then likely your entitled to tax and usc back on top of the wage subsidy of 70% and your employer pays you this and they claim it back >??
    has anyone done a calculator for this.
    thanks

This is standard payroll operation, all payroll software will do it. BTW the Wage Subsidy while paid out Net is subject to Income Tax and USC. Revenue want tax to re refunded, but this will come back to bit next year.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

Income tax, USC, LPT, if applicable, and PRSI are not deducted from the Temporary Wage Subsidy.

In many cases, the payment of the COVID-19 Temporary Wage Subsidy and any additional income paid by the employer will result in the refund of income tax or USC already paid by the employee. Any income tax and USC refunds that arise as a result of the application of tax credits and rate bands can be repaid by the employer and Revenue will also refund this amount to the employer.

i forgot to add that to last post from citizens information

https://revenue.ie/en/employing-people/documents/pmod-topics/guidance-on-operation-of-temporary-covid-wage-subsidy-scheme.pdf

3.11 and 5.4

I’m a bit concerned at these. The payroll system continues the cumulative basis from the existing RPNs. The subsidy is not taxed by payroll but is taxable income. Where the top up is given it generally will produce a tax /usc refund. That’s going to come back on people at year end reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭All that fandango

Having a debate at the moment with someone about this, do you have to register for job seekers benefit as well as register for the covid19 payment to just get the covid payment? (We have both been temporarily laid off due to pandemic) they applied for it online whereas I just printed off the covid form and sent it off in the post. I've never registered for jobseekers before.

Having a debate at the moment with someone about this, do you have to register for job seekers benefit as well as register for the covid19 payment to just get the covid payment? (We have both been temporarily laid off due to pandemic) they applied for it online whereas I just printed off the covid form and sent it off in the post. I've never registered for jobseekers before.
    The COVID payment is a temporary payment and can be applied for on its own.

They’re suggest people apply for jobseekers at the same time as there’s quite a bit more work involved in that and it may take the length of time that the COVID payment is valid for to get through all the numbers

You can cancel any application at any time. Obviously they’re hoping as many as possible get back to work without the need for the jobseekers payment

• Registered Users Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Impossible to log into the system to claim the Pandemic Unemployment Paymentat the moment. The page is just constantly loading.

• Advertisement

As per below are we all entitled to medical cards?

Citizens information:

According to the HSE's guidelines, if your income is derived solely from social welfare allowances or benefits or HSE allowances, you should be granted a medical card even though your payment may be in excess of the income guidelines for your age and situation.

Advertisement