Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government Benefits Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

jjmcclure wrote: »
    Does this situation qualify.

Self employed in my own business.
    Haven't paid my self in over a year, living off savings.
    Business is a startup so only on-boarding clients when the virus hit
    Clients are in "lockdown" so no engagement at the moment and no chance to generate revenue.

Am I eligible for the payment. App;lied on 20th via post. No payment or communication since.

Thx

Are you registered as self employed with Revenue?Do you make Income Tax and/or VAT returns? If they have a pre Covid-19 record of you being self employed you are eligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

olly111 wrote: »
    Same boat here. What option did you go for on welfare.ie as I'm only seeing options to change bank details for other payments and not the covid payment?
    I used the job seeker option as you are right no Covid19 option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭1882

Has anyone been paid into their Revolut or N26 by any chance ?

I know they're saying Irish bank only now but they weren't saying that at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Frank12

People have being mentioning that they collected there’s from their local post office , there’s no option on the form to say collect it from the post office .I applied last week, meet all criteria etc so thinking it may be at my post office . How would they know to make the payment to your local post office ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭ToddDameron

Frank12 wrote: »
    People have being mentioning that they collected there’s from their local post office , there’s no option on the form to say collect it from the post office .I applied last week, meet all criteria etc so thinking it may be at my post office . How would they know to make the payment to your local post office ?

They can tell from your address, the standard method for collecting payment is at the post office. You should have received an email if it is at the post office.

I put in my bank details, triple checked them, and still it went to the post office due to an error.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Frank12

They can tell from your address, the standard method for collecting payment is at the post office. You should have received an email if it is at the post office.

I put in my bank details, triple checked them, and still it went to the post office due to an error.

Cheers,might call into my local post office and check. Don’t mind waiting for the payment it’s just if I had so communication it would be great. I understand they are up the walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭wazzer1

Hi folks

My company have agreed to pay 70% of our wages when we are temporarily laid off. We are paid monthly so not due till end of Apr. Any idea how to calculate how much I will be paid. Is there paye, usc etc involved?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Applied last Friday 27th March for the emergency payment and didn't hear anything back yet . Last work payment was the 17th March.

Is this normal ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭snowgal

wazzer1 wrote: »
    Hi folks

My company have agreed to pay 70% of our wages when we are temporarily laid off. We are paid monthly so not due till end of Apr. Any idea how to calculate how much I will be paid. Is there paye, usc etc involved?

Thanks

Hi it depends on your paye details etc. Generally yes the tax prsi etc will be deducted as normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Applied last Friday 27th March for the emergency payment and didn't hear anything back yet . Last work payment was the 17th March.

Is this normal ??

Yes, your payment is only processing now.

• Advertisement

I was told in the post office that my payment is not the emergency payment (despite having filled out the pandemic form) and that's why I have to attend the post office. She said loads of people have had this done my mistake. She may have been talking out of her arse though.

Have a look at the receipt they gave you in the post office when you collected your money. If it says "exceptional needs payment" on it then she is indeed talking out of her arse.

Frank12 wrote: »

You will get an email to tell you to collect from post office if it is there otherwise i think you'll have to wait until it is in the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

If you work a second job, no matter what it pays, does that work have to be ceased to qualify?

I'm on a tiny salary till May from a school thats closed now.

What can I do?

People who might work 4 hours a week are now getting €350 and I'm declined from getting the payment as I'm getting €125 a week from this job. Just not fair.

To clarify, my main source of income was a shop that closed down where I work in the mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭jjmcclure

Are you registered as self employed with Revenue?Do you make Income Tax and/or VAT returns? If they have a pre Covid-19 record of you being self employed you are eligible.

Yep. Have been completing VAT returns and tax returns. Receive a tax refund from 2019 in Feb 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

Hey guys doing this for my friend, completed the Covid form last tonight but today she got a message to complete the Jobseekers form? Does this make sense. Don't want to fill it out and complicate things

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭GreenGrass2019

Hoboo wrote: »
    Just read someone on a back to work enterprise allowance and who is self employed will continue to receive the btwea, but if their business has been hit, that's it. I'd have thought they'd increase it by 150 to bring people to the 350 mark, in line with all all other self employed.

How can somene earning an allowance and small wage starting a business suddenly be expected to live on 200 a week and keep the business afloat until it can reopen. They can't. So the business they've built closes, and they're back on the scratch.

Sounds like they're making it up as they go along, identify issues as they arise and reassess. Hopefully they'll realise keeping as many businesses in a tradeable position is better than shutting them down for 150 quid.

BTWEA recipients receive the €350 in addition to weekly allowance. They must apply for the pandemic payment to avail of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭GreenGrass2019

Yes you should be eligible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭jimmyrustle

Is there any harm in waiting a day or two?

I would do mine today but got a text at the weekend saying they would communicate further re the income top up or what have you, so I thought I'd wait and see what it says.

tbh I don't think they will give me anything.

If I apply today I assume it will backdate to my last day of employment, will it? (left work Friday just gone)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Ghengis

Sorry if this has been asked before, I couldn't see an answer.

Employer is keeping us on the books, but rang today to say that some of us would be receiving €350 weekly as we are are earning over 38k PA. But if we earned 38k PA, we would receive €410 weekly.

So, the more you are earning, the less you receive. That can't be right, can it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭1882

Regina Dotherty on Newstalk next, answering payment questions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

1882 wrote: »
    Regina Dotherty on Newstalk next, answering payment questions.

Don't expect much more information over what has already been announced by the department.

I stupidly waited for Paschal Donoghue on the LLS and all we got was a waffle cast.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 KeithM94

Do they send you an email if you have not been accepted..? Applied on Saturday and was told to wait up to 7 days..then logged in last night and saw I had a 'Finish Application' option which I clicked on and it just made me re-do it.

Tad confused!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

If you work a second job, no matter what it pays, does that work have to be ceased to qualify?

I'm on a tiny salary till May from a school thats closed now.

What can I do?

People who might work 4 hours a week are now getting €350 and I'm declined from getting the payment as I'm getting €125 a week from this job. Just not fair.

To clarify, my main source of income was a shop that closed down where I work in the mornings.

It's a problem. Daughter is similar, had 10 hours a week but normally double that. Still on 10 hours but asked to work from home, no additional hours and seemingly not eligible? Doesn't want to quit, nor should she just to qualify as that'd be against the spirit. I think there's quite a few people caught in this sort of 'gig type' economy trap.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

Several people working here have received 350 today. Still working 3 day weeks.

jjmcclure wrote: »
    Yep. Have been completing VAT returns and tax returns. Receive a tax refund from 2019 in Feb 2020.

You are eligible.Making a profit is not a prerequisite to eligibility..You should have got something today but if you don't I would reapply online.

Ghengis wrote: »

Employer is keeping us on the books, but rang today to say that some of us would be receiving €350 weekly as we are are earning over 38k PA. But if we earned 38k PA, we would receive €410 weekly.

So, the more you are earning, the less you receive. That can't be right, can it?

It is an anomaly.There are 3 bands of support the employer gets..70% of net up to max 410 per week for average weekly net pay under 586..from 586 up to over 900 its capped at 350 and for higher earners they get nothing...It was hoped employers would top up the support but many are not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Strangely it is, it's a bit of an anomoly in the system. Technically I don't think he's correct though

The way I read it is its

70% of net pay where an employees net pay is up to 586 a week and is capped at 410 euro

Someone on 550 would get 385 for example
    Someone on 400 would get 280

Also, it's capped at 350 euro a week for employees whose net pay is over 568 a week and under 960.
    Over 960 there is no subsidy available at all

I can see this anomoly being removed however I'm not sure as to the reasoning behind it.

Strangely it is, it's a bit of an anomoly in the system. Technically I don't think he's correct though

The way I read it is its

70% of net pay where an employees net pay is up to 586 a week and is capped at 410 euro

Someone on 550 would get 385 for example

Also, it's capped at 350 euro a week for employees whose net pay is over 568 a week and under 960.
    Over 960 there is no subsidy available at all

I can see this anomoly being removed however I'm not sure as to the reasoning behind it.

Yeah, that's how I read it on the Revenue website.
    So,

Someone on 550 would get 385

Someone on 568 would get 410

Someone on 569 would get 350
    Someone on 959 would get 350

Someone on 960 would get 0

That's quite a glaring anomaly!

Yeah, that's how I read it on the Revenue website.
    So,

Someone on 550 would get 385

Someone on 568 would get 410

Someone on 569 would get 350
    Someone on 959 would get 350

Someone on 960 would get 0

That's quite a glaring anomaly!

Its important to remember that that's what the Employer gets.

If that is all the employee gets from the employer then the employer is not making any effort to make up any shortfall in net pay.

• Advertisement

Its important to remember that that's what the Employer gets.

If that is all the employee gets from the employer then the employer is not making any effort to make up any shortfall in net pay.

Oh okay, I didn't realise that. Realistically, our employer won't make up the difference to 70% (never mind anything above that).

From my working experience, I don't think many of them would pay anything they didn't absolutely have to. I might be better off getting laid off for the same money, and then I'd be able to get my redundancy from the current employer.

Advertisement