Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government Benefits Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭DartBhoy1888

Anyone know if irish rail are paying staff with no hours through the wage subsidy scheme? Finding it very hard to get answers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

1882 wrote: »
    Has anyone been paid into their Revolut or N26 by any chance ?

I know they're saying Irish bank only now but they weren't saying that at the start.

No revolut unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Can someone clarify if staff go on the wage subsidy scheme, can they still work for the company?

It seems strange. I know in the UK their 'Furlough' scheme means you can't work for the company at all, which is clear.

Here you can still work if you are under reduced hours, but does that mean that your employer would only need to top you up to the (now) reduced rate?

Can anyone shed light on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Its important to remember that that's what the Employer gets.

If that is all the employee gets from the employer then the employer is not making any effort to make up any shortfall in net pay.

Yes, that's also correct. The anomalies just msje it harder for employer to top up some employees compared to others. It's a bit strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Can someone clarify if staff go on the wage subsidy scheme, can they still work for the company?

It seems strange. I know in the UK their 'Furlough' scheme means you can't work for the company at all, which is clear.

Here you can still work if you are under reduced hours, but does that mean that your employer would only need to top you up to the (now) reduced rate?

Can anyone shed light on it?

Yes, they can still work, and are encouraged to do so if adhering to social distancing rules and not leaving house unnecessarily. UK is different, you have to be laid off and not working to claim.

But here's a thing, we will have plenty of Irish staff working and not working and claiming the subsidy and we will have the exact same in the UK. Business will be way down in both but we are geographically based across different locations in Ireland an UK and we can't choose to lay off some and not others, while still carrying out essential services without getting our staff to travel big distances.
    Realistically though, most of the staff will be at home with no calls to do most of the time, our customer based is more or less closed but count hospitals and supermarkets /pharmacies as customers still open.

So it's a very tricky one but our calls have dropped from about 80 a day to under 10 and we need staff in certain locations to carry them out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

If you work a second job, no matter what it pays, does that work have to be ceased to qualify?

I'm on a tiny salary till May from a school thats closed now.

What can I do?

People who might work 4 hours a week are now getting €350 and I'm declined from getting the payment as I'm getting €125 a week from this job. Just not fair.

To clarify, my main source of income was a shop that closed down where I work in the mornings.

Same issue for my wife. She has been let go (hopefully only temporarily) from main job that paid about 280 a week, but is still able to work one morning a week for another place (75 euro). She ticked yes to the 'Still working part time?' question on the form and now the concern is she won't be eligible for any payment at all. Also concerned about overpayment and possible future implications.

Edit: just to add, posted the form last week but have heard nothing just yet, no idea if there will ever be any payment

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

I collected my 203 euro from the post office last week and go an email this morning to say my 350 payment is available to be collected from the post office today. The woman in the post off said this week is a double payment and there wont be any next week. But i only got the 350 today. I presume thats a mistake?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Harpy

Can people see the status of their application on the website. I applied got the email saying you’d hear in 7 days have heard nothing since and when I go on the website there’s nothing there to show I’ve applied or anyhthing

IanVW wrote: »
    I collected my 203 euro from the post office last week and go an email this morning to say my 350 payment is available to be collected from the post office today. The woman in the post off said this week is a double payment and there wont be any next week. But i only got the 350 today. I presume thats a mistake?

A lot of payments (Pension most notably) are now getting paid out as double weeks. So the girl in the post office is probably just so used to telling people the "double week" thing that she said it to you by mistake.

€350 is a single week and will be €350 from here on. Unsure if they'll backdate to top up your original €203 payment though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Harpy wrote: »
    Can people see the status of their application on the website. I applied got the email saying you’d hear in 7 days have heard nothing since and when I go on the website there’s nothing there to show I’ve applied or anyhthing

Nothing on the site to say i applied either,id say its the norm, i only applied Friday, i still have a while to wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Heiser

Applied for Covid19 illness benefit from the 14th March for two weeks. Was paid €234 today, nothing else. Thought it would be more as was due €305 up until the 24th march and €350 after that.

Anyone know what way the illness benefit payments are working?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Several people working here have received 350 today. Still working 3 day weeks.

Maybe they are on the employer top up scheme? AFAIK, the general pandemic unemployment scheme requires that you were employed and that you've lost your work completely due to virus restrictions?

You’ll be going to the PO next week for the next payment unless you make arrangements to get it paid to your bank. There are no double payments of the 350

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

Not a double payment.Its 350 per week.

Did any self employed people here whose work has reduced significantly (but not stopped completely) apply and if so, did you get approved? I only have one client left, and that accounts for one day's work per week. It's still not clear to me if I'm eligible for the emergency payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

Ghengis wrote: »
    Yeah, that's how I read it on the Revenue website.
    So,

Someone on 400 would get 280
    Someone on 550 would get 385

Someone on 568 would get 410

Someone on 569 would get 350
    Someone on 959 would get 350

Someone on 960 would get 0

That's quite a glaring anomaly!

I am assuming that revenue are implying that those on over 38k can afford to get less and would theoretically have more saved to substitute the deficit.

Complete bollix of course.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Maybe they are on the employer top up scheme? AFAIK, the general pandemic unemployment scheme requires that you were employed and that you've lost your work completely due to virus restrictions?

Yep, but someone has ****ed up something along the way. These people now have 350 + 3 days pay adding upto far more than they would have made for working 5 days !

Yep, but someone has ****ed up something along the way. These people now have 350 + 3 days pay adding upto far more than they would have made for working 5 days !

Looks like they applied for the Covid-19 Covid-19 Unemployment payment when they were not entitled to..Apparently cross checking between Revenue and DEASP will sort it out and they will owe money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Evening.

If anyone in a similar situation here could give me any information that would be much appreciated.

I was on casual Jobseeker’s Allowance until work let me go on 16th or March. I went to the office and was told to just continue handing in my weekly slips and would get 203€ weekly.

Then with the news last week that the rate has been increased to 350€ I went back down to ask what else I have to do to apply. I was asked to fill out a letter explaining my circumstances and that was it. Then again only received 203€.

I emailed the office and they told me that I had to apply for the emergency covid payments (which I had done in the mean time) and that my account was now suspended. So now my claims for both both my casual and emergency benefits are now suspended on my account. I’m utterly lost now.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Its important to remember that that's what the Employer gets.

If that is all the employee gets from the employer then the employer is not making any effort to make up any shortfall in net pay.

Agreed, if the employee is over the threshold of the 410 due to the 38k to 76k limit the employer regardless of the subsidy really needs to pay the 410 otherwise they could be seen to be discriminating against specific employees. I can't see this being a goer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Has anyone who received the €203 last week been backdated the difference?.

No - I got €203 last week and €350 today. I had thought someone mentioned here before that we would be backdated the difference but to be honest, I don't think that will be the case.
    BanditLuke wrote: »
    Just got an email from welfare asking me to collect payment from Post Office again even though i filled in accurate banking details on the form. That's 2 weeks in a row now i'll have to be making a completely unnecessary trip to the Post Office for collection.

Yep I've collected mine from the Post Office two weeks in a row now and have been able to get it put straight into my AIB account. It's a balls to have to go in at all though. I can't understand why it is not being put into my account straight off when I provided my bank details!

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

Hey guys doing this for my friend, completed the Covid form last tonight but today she got a message to complete the Jobseekers form? Does this make sense. Don't want to fill it out and complicate things

Any help on this? She's a bit unsure of what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,351 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Any help on this? She's a bit unsure of what to do.

They are saying to complete the jobseekers form so that it can be processed and further payments made available immediately after the 12 week covid payment stops.
    Personally, Id wait til the covid payments are flowing before submitting any more info.

thanks, i just didn't understand why they want people to apply for jobseekers when they have a job waiting for them when the virus clears up

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭collywobble7

The begrudgery is strong on this one. Country was at full unemployment. A handful of people aren't entitled that probably, morally, should be. The majority complaining will be the dole heads who wouldn't get a job if you paid them to (literally). But can't stand the thought of others having a few euro more in their pockets, even though it's very fairly done.

Exactly

thanks, i just didn't understand why they want people to apply for jobseekers when they have a job waiting for them when the virus clears up

How certain can anyone be that they have a job waiting for the.?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Tommy Max

Can anybody confirm if an employer is within their rights to lay off an employee if they have commenced a consultation period with the employee?

The proposed situation would be to lay off for 4 weeks under wage subsidy scheme, then employee works one week to facilitate busier work load time of month and then it is likely redundancy notice would be issued.

Can the employee challenge this and is the employer exposed?

How certain can anyone be that they have a job waiting for the.?

My friend is a Nanny working for two Doctors, doesn't fall within the 2km radius and her job isn't considered essential. The family have got someone local who works in a creche to look after the kids until this dies down and have guaranteed her job is safe

• Registered Users Posts: 10,274 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

My friend is a Nanny working for two Doctors, doesn't fall within the 2km radius and her job isn't considered essential. The family have got someone local who works in a creche to look after the kids until this dies down and have guaranteed her job is safe

The 2km thing is just for exercise. Not for work or shopping.

It is your friends prerogative whether to apply for jobseekers

• Advertisement

They might not have a job though, nothing is for sure. It’s just to make sure that there’s not another onslaught of applications in June.

Advertisement