Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government Benefits Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Please see this latest notice if you have to reapply

Helgagirl wrote: »
    Are you not entitled to get the Covid-19 payment if you were told by your doctor to self isolate?
    Not everyone gets paid at the end of the week they just worked, so are people supposed to just not get a week's payment because they received their wages a week after the week they worked. My husbands working week starts on a Friday until Thursday which is not paid until the following Friday. If you are sitting at home isolating, waiting to be sent for a test, then waiting on results of a test, not knowing when you will be able to go back to work or if there will be work for you,and then not receiving a payment it is very stressful. Add to that not knowing how to go about finding out the relevant information you need or not being able to get on the phone to ask someone a question is it any wonder people are getting mad about it.

If your husband is at home self isolating on the instructions of a GP the he should have applied for the enhanced illness benefit payment not the PUP.
    For the rest of your post, if he was applying for PUP then he could only apply the day after he was last paid. What is the problem with this?

https://www.gov.ie/en/service/df55ae-how-to-apply-for-illness-benefit-for-covid-19-absences/

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭beaver111

Will the covid payment be back dated??

beaver111 wrote: »
    Will the covid payment be back dated??

That’s being discussed.

My head is wrecked form this. If an employee doesn't come back and has been laid off, can they claim and be paid the €350 by their employer, while the employer also runs the Wage Subsidy scheme where some employees may only get 70% of their average net wage up to a maximum of €410 if the company doesn't top up the subsidy i.e. maybe less than the €350

Can a company work both schemes, the PUP €350 per week and the Wage subsidy scheme?

Thanks

• Advertisement

My head is wrecked form this. If an employee doesn't come back and has been laid off, can they claim and be paid the €350 by their employer, while the employer also runs the Wage Subsidy scheme where some employees may only get 70% of their average net wage up to a maximum of €410 if the company doesn't top up the subsidy i.e. maybe less than the €350

Can a company work both schemes, the PUP €350 per week and the Wage subsidy scheme?

Thanks

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/f763ad-what-if-i-havent-received-a-payment-as-expected/

Read to the bottom of the page. There’s your answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Helgagirl

Sorry Splinter 65 my mistake the illness payment is what he applied for, I am not great with looking things up online, which I did state earlier, I do all the paperwork for the house, as my husband is allergic to anything to do with writing, he even hates having to sign his name, I got confused about the different payments. I thought it was all just the covid 19 payment and didn't realise there was a difference with when payments were due.

Sorry Splinter 65 my mistake the illness payment is what he applied for, I am not great with looking things up online, which I did state earlier, I do all the paperwork for the house, as my husband is allergic to anything to do with writing, he even hates having to sign his name, I got confused about the different payments. I thought it was all just the covid 19 payment and didn't realise there was a difference.

So he’s applied for the enhanced illness payment and he’s waiting? How long has he been waiting ?

splinter65 wrote: »

I don't see it :confused: The bottom of the page referenes Re-Apply, the section above it is for Applications with Incorrect details submitted.

I don't see it :confused: The bottom of the page referenes Re-Apply, the section above it is for Applications with Incorrect details submitted.

You will be refused the PUP if:

•you are being paid by your employer using the Temporary COVID-19 Wage Subsidy Scheme operated by the Revenue Commissioners
    Please note:

The department undertakes control checks on all applications (which involve working with the Revenue Commissioners) to ensure eligible applications are processed into payment.

No you can’t get both the wages subsidy from your employer and the covid payment at the same time.

• Advertisement

You will be refused the PUP if:

•you are being paid by your employer using the Temporary COVID-19 Wage Subsidy Scheme operated by the Revenue Commissioners
    Please note:

The department undertakes control checks on all applications (which involve working with the Revenue Commissioners) to ensure eligible applications are processed into payment.

No you can’t get both the wages subsidy from your employer and the covid payment at the same time.

I understand that. But, can an employer run both schemes for different employees.

I.e. Can Jimmy get PUP of €350 and Mary get 70% of her Net wages of, say, €300 because she came back to work. And for the employer to apply to pay for both?

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Anyone know if you are a part time farming, can you still qualify if your “other” job has ceased for the moment due to virus? Applied on March 18th but no word yet.

I understand that. But, can an employer run both schemes for different employees.

I.e. Can Jimmy get PUP of €350 and Mary get 70% of her Net wages of, say, €300 because she came back to work. And for the employer to apply to pay for both?

The employer doesn’t apply for the PUP, the laid off employee applies. Employers have no role in the application of the PUP.

If he was applying for PUP then he could only apply the day after he was last paid. What is the problem with this?

Of course there's a problem with this. Employers do not make payments the moment you stop work. Some do it reasonably quickly, some wait for weeks. If these are the criteria, then employees who get paid on a monthly basis rather than weekly are at a massive disadvantage for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 roby101

Hi guys

I have a headache cus of all of this and I'm not sure what I'm entitled to or not so I'm asking for somene to make it clear for me. So I'm employed in one of retail shops on a full time. It got closed but employer kept us on 70% of our net sallary, which in general was a minimum, and now it's way bellow minimum, its 257€ p/w. After I pay for my rent, I have about 200 euros left for a full month for a food and all needs. Please tell me that I'm entitled for some additional help from government otherwise I can choose between be on the street or stop paying a rent so whatever it happens after that...? 😒 Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Galway20188

People who cannot get the Covid-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment
    You cannot claim the Covid-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment, if you:

Are continuing to get income from your employment or
    Voluntarily left your employment (except to look after your children)

It couldn’t be any clearer then this. The poster got paid last week so wasn’t entitled to any payment from the 18th.
    I’m glad that you’re so good at your job that you can refer to someone else doing their job as an “eejit”.

I got paid last week for work that was done up to the 18th.

I’m not stupid I wouldn’t have applied if I wasn’t aware of my eligibility.

So yes I lost my job, as a result of COVID 19 on the 18th of March but I received my final payment from work on March 26th

• Registered Users Posts: 23,351 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

It would appear that employers might have been better advised to lay off low paid workers so that they could avail of 350 weekly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Okay I’m getting so mad.

So apparently my application was refused because I posted and applied on 18/03 and my last payday was 26/03
    SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    So your last day of work was 18/03, which was the question asked on the form, not when will you be will paid next, so do you need to put in another claim for 26th onwards?

I’m in a similar situation, I last worked on 27/03. So I put that down as the last day of work which is what was said on the form? However my last pay cheque from the job is this Friday 03/04.

So now I’m seeing in this thread that I shouldn’t have applied till after the 03/04?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Galway20188

I put 18/03 on my form as my last date worked/paid to so I don’t know tbh since they said it may have been refused because if this

I got paid last week for work that was done up to the 18th.

I’m not stupid I wouldn’t have applied if I wasn’t aware of my eligibility.

So yes I lost my job, as a result of COVID 19 on the 18th of March but I received my final payment from work on March 26th
    What loss of employment income did you suffer before the 26th March?

• Advertisement

I put 18/03 on my form as my last date worked/paid to so I don’t know tbh since they said it may have been refused because if this

The last day you were paid to was 26th of March.

I’m in a similar situation, I last worked on 27/03. So I put that down as the last day of work which is what was said on the form? However my last pay cheque from the job is this Friday 03/04.

So now I’m seeing in this thread that I shouldn’t have applied till after the 03/04?

What loss of income from work have you suffered up to and including 03/04?

The last day you were paid to was 26th of March.

That was the last day paid on, not paid to (which is the same thing as the last day worked).

Hi Splinter65
    I posted paper form on 21st March, 2020 and we heard nothing since, so I don't know it could have been lost in post, something filled out wrong or maybe just not been started on yet ( totally understandable under the circumstances) it's just the not knowing, and if my husband has to stay out any longer while waiting on test results, he still has a bad cough, I am afraid we could be waiting for something that will never be processed.

Hi Splinter65
    I posted paper form on 21st March, 2020 and we heard nothing since, so I don't know it could have been lost in post, something filled out wrong or maybe just not been started on yet ( totally understandable under the circumstances) it's just the not knowing, and if my husband has to stay out any longer while waiting on test results, he still has a bad cough, I am afraid we could be waiting for something that will never be processed.

Your husband will get the illness benefit for 2 weeks at €350 while he’s waiting for test results and up to 10 weeks if it’s positive for corona.
    If you have no income while the application is being processed then you need to apply to your local CWO at the SW office for an SWA.

Flying Fox wrote: »
    That was the last day paid on, not paid to (which is the same thing as the last day worked).

But you were paid in full up to the 26th?

Thanks Splinter65
    We are lucky enough to have some money in the bank right now, but our car tax and insurance due next month so trying to be careful that we still have enough to cover this when it's due, and also for general living costs. If we didn't receive the payment then we would be looking at going to SW but hopefully it won't come to that and illness payment processed soon.

Thanks Splinter65
    We are lucky enough to have some money in the bank right now, but our car tax and insurance due next month so trying to be careful that we still have enough to cover this when it's due, and also for general living costs. If we didn't receive the payment then we would be looking at going to SW but hopefully it won't come to that and illness payment processed soon.
    Hopefully Helga the result is negative and if it’s positive then a quick recovery. If you don’t hear from illness benefit in the next 7 working days then give your local SW a ring,

Thanks Splinter65

I know he is entitled to illness payment, it's just not knowing if the form actually got to it's destination. We are lucky enough to have some money in the bank at the minute, but car tax and insurance due shortly, so want to make sure we have enough to cover cost of that, and general living bills as well. If payment didn't come through and hubby not back at work, ( not sure what he does would be considered essential although he is chomping at the bit to get back) we would have to go to SW then alright.

sorry for repeating thought my other post hadn't gone through!

• Advertisement

But you were paid in full up to the 26th?

Not me, you'd have to ask the poster.

I don't see why the form only asks for the last day worked, if what's really relevant is the date of the last payment. These will almost always be two different dates. The vast majority of people will have done exactly as Galway20188 did and apply as soon as their work finished, and fill in the last date worked in the space on the form that asks for the last date worked. Surely if what Galway20188 did was incorrect, then a huge number of claims in general would be getting rejected?

Advertisement