Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government Benefits Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Saz2020

Ok glad im not the only one, thanks for that John

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Unless you have paid PAYE up until mid March nobody will be getting anything.

Where are you getting this information?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Anniepower

Where did hear that, facebook?

Unless you have paid PAYE up until mid March nobody will be getting anything. It's incredibly easy for social welfare to check with revenue the whole system is integrated now it's not like 10 years ago.

No a screenshot from a bank account of somebody I am close to. You might think 99% of the people who got payment were eligible and deserving but I disagree. The revenue have a lot of weeding to do as they just gave money out to as many as possible due to the unfortunate times we are in.

I wouldn’t go posting this if I didn’t know it was reliable information.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,894 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

a friend is self-employed, but also does some part-time PAYE work that makes up about 25% of her income. The self-employed income is gone, but the other company is continuing to pay her and as a result it looks like they've rejected her application for the COVID payment. Is there anything she can do, she's down 75% of her income.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭jimmyrustle

johnmc2020 wrote: »
    All of the above are literally just the bare essentials needed to survive?? These people have nothing. Literally nothing. I have no issue with my taxes being used to support some of the most vulnerable people in our society. Of course there are some who aren't as in need as others but this will be the case regardless.

I'd have much more issue with the long term dole Irish dole heads who scrounge the system for all its worth and never do an honest days work in their life.

Your attitude is pathetic - would do you no harm to do a bit of research into the direct provision system and its shortcomings before commenting on it.

I've researched plenty thanks and it's the life of reilly compared to what a returning emigrant is entitled to to get back on their feet. Sure the Irish Times runs a weekly puff piece which interviews applicants who don't even go to the bother of even claiming to have fled danger.

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:djCmKcYrHtAJ:https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/i-ve-been-made-to-feel-like-i-don-t-belong-in-ireland-1.4029874+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ie
    Pereira arrived in Ireland in December 2005 just one week before his 16th birthday, after his father - who had spent a year working in construction in the west of Ireland- called for his family to join him from their home in the town of Bertioga on the outskirts of São Paulo in Brazil....In 2013, his older brother, who had chosen to return to Brazil with their father following their parents’ divorce, bought a one-way flight for Pereira to São Paulo. Unaware that his asylum application would be thrown out if he left the country, Pereira decided to return home for six months. Upon arrival he was called up for military service and spent the following year going through a series of tests to join the army. He was eventually dismissed because of a shoulder injury.....In 2014 he met his future wife Beatriz and the following year the couple were married. “I always told her I wanted to go back to Ireland and that’s kind of what clicked [for] us. She was sick of our town in Brazil, it was a little place with no progress and everything was corrupt. If you didn’t know the right places you never go forward, you are miserable.”

The couple arrived back in Ireland in 2015 on tourist visas hoping to restart Pereira’s original asylum application. He quickly learned he was no longer eligible for protection under his mother’s application – she had received temporary permission to remain during his absence – and reapplied for leave to remain for his wife, and son Ethan, who was born in 2016

This guy was 8 years in the system, receiving benefits while working. Then he decided to return to the place he "fled" from. The he got bored of its small town nature and decided to see if his asylum application was still active back here. Imagine even having the gall to give an interview outlining you never had a legitimate need to claim asylum in the first place, and the IT being leftie enough to publish it without question.

This country is on the precipice of a new debt disaster and it is partly because we have been throwing money at nonsense like this for too many years.

Now, of course this is wildly off topic, I merely pointed out anyone returning should ask their TD why people who never paid tax get the world handed to them. You insisted on peddling fake news about it.

• Advertisement

loyatemu wrote: »
    a friend is self-employed, but also does some part-time PAYE work that makes up about 25% of her income. The self-employed income is gone, but the other company is continuing to pay her and as a result it looks like they've rejected her application for the COVID payment. Is there anything she can do, she's down 75% of her income.

Not sure what it is called. Maybe income support or partial jobseekers. You can work two days s week and get a top up. Look on the website. All the normal social welfare that was available before COVID 19 can still be applied for.

loyatemu wrote: »

Yeah if she's getting some PAYE works she's not entitled to the covid payment. She might be able to apply for Jobseekers and to the X and O's.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Not sure what it is called. Maybe income support or partial jobseekers. You can work two days s week and get a top up. Look on the website. All the normal social welfare that was available before COVID 19 can still be applied for.

Casual jobseekers if it's three days a week or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭johnmc2020

I've researched plenty thanks and it's the life of reilly compared to what a returning emigrant is entitled to to get back on their feet. Sure the Irish Times runs a weekly puff piece which interviews applicants who don't even go to the bother of even claiming to have fled danger.

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:djCmKcYrHtAJ:https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/i-ve-been-made-to-feel-like-i-don-t-belong-in-ireland-1.4029874+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ie

This guy was 8 years in the system, receiving benefits while working. Then he decided to return to the place he "fled" from. The he got bored of its small town nature and decided to see if his asylum application was still active back here. Imagine even having the gall to give an interview outlining you never had a legitimate need to claim asylum in the first place, and the IT being leftie enough to publish it without question.

This country is on the precipice of a new debt disaster and it is partly because we have been throwing money at nonsense like this for too many years.

Now, of course this is wildly off topic, I merely pointed out anyone returning should ask their TD why people who never paid tax get the world handed to them. You insisted on peddling fake news about it.

There's always going to be cases where people abuse the system, always.

I work in the medical field and have worked with people in direct provision and I can tell you that the majority have gone through unimaginable suffering in their previous life - for most coming to Ireland is not a choice, it's a necessity and despite what you might say we do not treat them well at all. We leave them in limbo for way too long in poor conditions and it's just not fair.

Why should anyone returning ask their TD? Seems like a waste of TDs time. You said yourself that you got the dole when you came back so there really isn't any reason to complain.

Out of interest, what would you have in place of direct provision?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

YFlyer wrote: »
    People living at home and were working part time are getting €350 pw. Crazy

Whilst others renting and on various schemes, 'gig economy' hours can fall between the gaps. Far from perfect. But then to make it equitable, there'd have to be lots of paperwork & checks. And that would Sloooooooooooooow things down.

• Advertisement

johnmc2020 wrote: »
    There's always going to be cases where people abuse the system, always.

I work in the medical field and have worked with people in direct provision and I can tell you that the majority have gone through unimaginable suffering in their previous life - for most coming to Ireland is not a choice, it's a necessity and despite what you might say we do not treat them well at all.

I remember way back in the mid 2000s when a lot of people used to believe the new Latvian lad in Tesco was a dentist back home because that's what he told them.
    Out of interest, what would you have in place of direct provision?

Probably going a bit off topic, but a centre near the airport for assessment taking no longer than a few weeks.

https://www.worlddata.info/europe/ireland/asylum.php

Just look at these countries. By and large a mix of states in the early stages of EU membership, backpacker destinations, holiday destinations. Pull the other one.

Anyway, back to the benefits.

Given that many of the big sites were meant to be closed from April 10th until the following Monday week where does this leave those of us in the industry regarding welfare? I don't think anybody particularly wants to be forced to use their holiday allocation during a time when, more than likely, there will be zero to do on said holiday leave?

They might be better tagging it on to 2.5 weeks in the summer, and another extra half week at Christmas. I'd be happy to spend the time contributing to the pub trade anyway :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

Where did hear that, facebook?

Unless you have paid PAYE up until mid March nobody will be getting anything. It's incredibly easy for social welfare to check with revenue the whole system is integrated now it's not like 10 years ago.

Paying PAYE is not a requirement...You must have been in employment up to March 13...or March 6th for some people who work unusual patterns.

There are plenty of people who qualify who would not have paid PAYE due to low income/tax credits etc. but still qualify.

Obviously anyone who was working but not registered...I.e. getting cash loses out.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Unsure where my wife and I stand during all this. Our daughter would have been in creche, but now the 2 of us are having to work half a week each to try keep up with our work, while the other half we're minding our daughter. Both our take home pays will end up taking a ~50% hit. We can offset this somewhat by using holiday days, but 1) there's only so many holiday days at our disposal and 2) when this is all over we'll likely be burnt out and need a damn holiday :rolleyes:

TLDR: We've had to tell our employers we can only work 50% of the time in order to mind our daughter since we no longer have creche available to us.

No one any wiser so?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    splinter65 wrote: »
    See attached[/QUOT

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=507889&d=1585765943

The online application isn't like that.
    I’ve just done an online application for someone and it asked what date they last worked/were paid.

No one any wiser so?

You each need to apply for JSB. You each will get JSB for each days employment you’ve lost. If you earned in excess of €300 per week in 2018 then it works out at €81 per day. If you work 4 days in a 7 day period you won’t get anything. Get cracking and fill in the forms.

Unsure where my wife and I stand during all this. Our daughter would have been in creche, but now the 2 of us are having to work half a week each to try keep up with our work, while the other half we're minding our daughter. Both our take home pays will end up taking a ~50% hit. We can offset this somewhat by using holiday days, but 1) there's only so many holiday days at our disposal and 2) when this is all over we'll likely be burnt out and need a damn holiday :rolleyes:

TLDR: We've had to tell our employers we can only work 50% of the time in order to mind our daughter since we no longer have creche available to us.

You probably qualify for the Short Term Work Support scheme - https://www.gov.ie/en/service/c20e1b-short-time-work-support/ ...Give DEASP a ring on 1890800024 and they should know for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭brianomc

I’ve just done an online application for someone and it asked what date they last worked/were paid.

What date they were "paid" or "paid to"? I finished work last Thursday, say I get paid this coming Friday. I was "paid to" last Thursday, not this Friday

jrosen wrote: »
    I work PT and lost my job almost immediately. I applied for the covid payment. I received the full amount of 350.

What can they do down the line? I didnt lie or mislead anyone with the form. Gave my PPS number. I work above board, all my tax etc there to see. So why are they allowing people to apply for a payment that down the line they will want money back from?

But they don’t want it back?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Scolly

Looking for information around the following scenario if anyone can help. I am still able to work from home thankfully but my wife has just finished her maternity leave in March. She worked in a hotel and there is no job for her to go back to.

She had also just registered as a childminder and was looking after one child 3 days a week(which was only for one week before this all started) and had not intended to go back full time work in the hotel. That arrangement is obviously gone now also.

She contacted social welfare but they said she would not get any covid-19 related payments and that she could apply for jobseekers benefit.

Would that mean that we would then need to be means tested against that payment? i.e she would potentially get a very small or no payment

• Advertisement

Anyone have a number to contact if they have received application?

Also what about pensioners ? Are they able to claim anything else apart from €230 a week payment.

Thanks

No pensioners can’t get anything if they lose their jobs. What €230 are you talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Tomrota

PTH2009 wrote: »
    This €350 is nice and no doubt very needed but it's a bit farcical is some aspects

Someone working 2 days a week in a restaurant etc gets way over what they could earn

What’s wrong with poor people getting 100-150€ more than they could earn during the middle of a global pandemic? We can afford it and people need it now more than ever. Universal basic income is what we actually need.

kajzer wrote: »
    I was put on short time at work, been working 40hrs reduced to 20, was told to fill out UP1 form, which from my understanding, if I'm "eligible", will get me 83 euro a week? At this rate I'm thinking I'll just go for in lidl or aldi, it's not worth filling out papers and hoping for the government to kindly give me 80 euro a week if I'm eligible... This wouldn't even be 30% of what I'll get a week from my employer working half time. Girlfriends claim for covid payment was rejected because she was not employed on or after 6/03 even though she was, she was on sick leave from 25/02 and was meant to come back to work on 25/03 but obviously couldn't

If you qualify for JSB and you earned €300+ per week then you’ll get €81 per day you don’t work but if you work 4 days or more per week you’ll get nothing. If your living with your GF you can claim for her but if she’s still sick and getting Illness Benefit then you can’t get anything.

Tomrota wrote: »
    Universal basic income is what we actually need.

No it is not. It's a magic money tree for wasters that would turn us into Zimbabwe.

Take a look at the calibre of politician in this country who has advocated for it.

Scolly wrote: »
    Looking for information around the following scenario if anyone can help. I am still able to work from home thankfully but my wife has just finished her maternity leave in March. She worked in a hotel and there is no job for her to go back to.

She had also just registered as a childminder and was looking after one child 3 days a week(which was only for one week before this all started) and had not intended to go back full time work in the hotel. That arrangement is obviously gone now also.

She contacted social welfare but they said she would not get any covid-19 related payments and that she could apply for jobseekers benefit.

Would that mean that we would then need to be means tested against that payment? i.e she would potentially get a very small or no payment

To get Jobseeker’s Benefit you must have enough social insurance (PRSI) contributions. So once she has enough contributions she would not be means tested.

If she doesn't have enough contributions then it goes to Jobseeker's Allowance, for which you will be means tested.

This might help - https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/signing_on.html

brianomc wrote: »
    What date they were "paid" or "paid to"? I finished work last Thursday, say I get paid this coming Friday. I was "paid to" last Thursday, not this Friday

Your employer owes you a weeks wages payable this Friday. You can’t get €350 from SW too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Your employer owes you a weeks wages payable this Friday. You can’t get €350 from SW too.

Why would when you get paid change whether you can get the 350?

Say I get paid every three months, I'm one week into my 3 months, let go due to pandemic, will be paid for my week I worked in 2 months and 3weeks time. So I cannot apply till then?

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭brianomc

And when I return to work I suppose you want me to put down the date I returned and not the date I will get paid for the first time. So I will be losing out on a weeks worth of payment.

Suppose for example then that my employer paid me last Friday. Am I entitled to be paid for this week? What has changed apart from the date my employer paid me.

When I applied last Thursday it was definitely listed as "paid to" by the way

Anniepower wrote: »
    I’m listening to stories from people I am very close to who got payment Tuesday some who are in college not worked in over a year (got 350 into there bank account) and some who returned home from abroad

Your green if you think this wasn’t rushed and they tried to give as much money out as possible - they didn’t check PRSI or PAYE on many of these.

They will be cross referencing with revenue when all this settles down, it very straight forward now. Believe me they will go at it like a days work. And if you’ve stolen this money from the taxpayer then you’ll have to pay back every penny.

• Advertisement

brianomc wrote: »
    And when I return to work I suppose you want me to put down the date I returned and not the date I will get paid for the first time. So I will be losing out on a weeks worth of payment.

Suppose for example then that my employer paid me last Friday. Am I entitled to be paid for this week? What has changed apart from the date my employer paid me.

When I applied last Thursday it was definitely listed as "paid to" by the way

Yeah - on the form you definitely put down the last day you worked ie. the last day you were "paid to". Not the day you were actually paid.

Advertisement