Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government Benefits Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

Tomrota wrote: »
    I think that’s great. As a society we should choose to protect the vulnerable and not let them turn to crime.

Well you should pay with your taxes that would be great .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

rgossip30 wrote: »
    Well you should pay with your taxes that would be great .

What do you think should happen the people working here illegally who have lost their jobs?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

My opinion lies very much on one side of the fence here, but can we please have a thread without the usual "Foreigners + Dole heads" debate.

splinter65 wrote: »
    What do you think should happen the people working here illegally who have lost their jobs?

A welfare payment of 350 euro is supporting illegal working . They must have got PPS numbers by deception but when it comes to vulnerable migrants the law does not apply .I fail to see how they qualify for such a payment and what happens if they prove they lost their job permanently an entitlement to job seekers !!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 KeithM94

Applied for Jobseekers last weekend..anyone applied for it and received it yet? Still waiting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,274 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

A welfare payment of 350 euro is supporting illegal working . They must have got PPS numbers by deception but when it comes to vulnerable migrants the law does not apply .I fail to see how they qualify for such a payment and what happens if they prove they lost their job permanently an entitlement to job seekers !!

They won’t be people who weren’t working as there’s a check with revenue (and payrolls are immediate)

The people who’ll be effected are those students who were working part time and, while allowed work, were probably working more than the hours allowed

I’ll repeat, no one will receive this payment as a worker if their tax and prsi affairs aren’t correct. The only caveat would be self employed people but they’ll still end of year returns and be up to date there (and separate immigration rules apply)

You’ve read too much into that welfare tweet, but I suspect you won’t believe me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭jimmyrustle

They must have got PPS numbers by deception but when it comes to vulnerable migrants the law does not apply .

Wouldn't the bulk of them have obtained one when they arrived on a legit visa that then expired?

Again, I'd be conservative enough, but let a Chinese or Brazillian get the 350 for a few months all day compared to doling out the free houses and child benefit to Roma gypsies and the like.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Wouldn't the bulk of them have obtained one when they arrived on a legit visa that then expired?

Again, I'd be conservative enough, but let a Chinese or Brazillian get the 350 for a few months all day compared to doling out the free houses and child benefit to Roma gypsies and the like.

This is where human compassion comes into it for me. We're all human beings at the end of the day, just trying our best to get by. How many illegal Irish are in the US, etc? It's an issue everywhere, but it's horrible thinking now of all the people who have been stuck moving forward for various reasons in getting Visas/citizenship sorted out, and now have had their livelihood stripped away. When they were peaceful and contributing members of society and their communities. How would you want to be treated in their shoes; it's hardly a situation that's going to drain the coffers, our own citizens are going to do that. What's a handful more.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭johnmc2020

Should the roma gypsie children just be left to starve? Would you be happier to just see them homeless on the streets?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wanderer19

Anyone?
    If your site/work has been closed down as a non essential site then you need to apply for the pandemic emergency payment.

If you were expecting the site to close for annual holidays only then you should still get paid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭jimmyrustle

johnmc2020 wrote: »
    Should the roma gypsie children just be left to starve? Would you be happier to just see them homeless on the streets?

The soup kitchens ensure that nobody starves.

As for being on the streets, we can't allow ourselves to be emotionally blackmailed into handing out welfare. Jesus, we might as well refuse to ever jail anyone if they threaten to kill themselves with that attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 2twelve

Hey guys, i need your help as I'm not quite sure what to do. i was working full time for the same company for nearly two years now, been working in ireland for last 16 years. Two weeks ago they decided to close the shop and we've been told to register under the covid19 pandemic scheme, which I did. last thursday I got an email saying I need to close my covid19 pandemic unemployment payment because they decided to go with wage subsidy scheme. The thing is that what is being offered to me now is only 70% of my wages which would be about €270 weekly instead of €350 being offered by covid19 payment. what I'm wondering about now is if I could stay on covid19 pandemic unemployment payment or do i have to go with wage subsidy scheme offered by my employer? Other employees were trying to stay on covid19 pandemic unemployment payment but been told by the employer that it means they have to cease their employment. Can anyone advise me what my options are? I'm not trying to be greedy, I just have bills to pay, otherwise I'd be happy with whatever being offered to me by the company I work for. Thanks in advance for any suggestions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Explain your situation to your employer. They probably mean we'll if they are operating the scheme.
    I have seen plenty of anomalies in this recently like yours. At the end of the day it's up to you but you are severing links with your employer and this payment is only for 12 weeks. Others that don't sever links will probably be the ones working after shop reopens if there isn't enough work for you all.

Your employer is obviously not topping up your wages then?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 2twelve

Your employer is obviously not topping up your wages then?

Unfortunately they don't, there's only 70% government subsidy mentioned in an email
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Mackwiss

So just woke up to have only 203€ paid to my bank account. It doesn't make any sense since last week i got the 350€ anyone on the same boat? I applied after this situation started and was full time self-employed before this started.

Mackwiss wrote: »
    So just woke up to have only 203€ paid to my bank account. It doesn't make any sense since last week i got the 350€ anyone on the same boat? I applied after this situation started and was full time self-employed before this started.

Do you continue to operate as self employed just with reduced income?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Mackwiss

splinter65 wrote: »
    Do you continue to operate as self employed just with reduced income?

No operation at all I've completely ran out of business.

Dodge wrote: »
    They won’t be people who weren’t working as there’s a check with revenue (and payrolls are immediate)

The people who’ll be effected are those students who were working part time and, while allowed work, were probably working more than the hours allowed

I’ll repeat, no one will receive this payment as a worker if their tax and prsi affairs aren’t correct. The only caveat would be self employed people but they’ll still end of year returns and be up to date there (and separate immigration rules apply)

You’ve read too much into that welfare tweet, but I suspect you won’t believe me...

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/personal_public_service_number.html

Due to Coronavirus face to face interviews for a pps number are suspended a passport and proof of address can be scanned e mailed or sent by post !

I am sure some will try to chance it no harm in trying as they say and shur its only a few . This could of course be a covert way of bringing them into the tax net and providing an amnesty .

There are homeless irish on the streets they can always return home .Where does this charity end .The Illegal irish working in America wont be getting a welfare payment and if found out get deported more swiftly .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,797 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

It’s been nearly 2 weeks since I applied and I have got as much as a confirmation email. Is this normal?

• Advertisement

No operation at all I've completely ran out of business.

Just to be clear, you applied for the PUP, not JSB for the Self Employed?

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

Bit of a stab in the dark....is it possible you were owed 1 week at the initial rate of 203 and this is it.If the 350 arrives tomorrow I would think this is the most likely reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    It’s been nearly 2 weeks since I applied and I have got as much as a confirmation email. Is this normal?
    I applied last tuesday, haven't received any email yet . There is a notification on the MyWelfare site though;

K6vcvlY.png

Hoping it shows up soon. Things are getting tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Just thought id mention i applied late on 27th march, i email welfare last night got reply this morning,

"I can see that your Pandemic Unemployment Payment has been processed on 04/04/2020"

hopefully payment will be in tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Just thought id mention i applied late on 27th march, i email welfare last night got reply this morning,

"I can see that your Pandemic Unemployment Payment has been processed on 04/04/2020"

hopefully payment will be in tomorrow.

fingers crossed we all get it tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

Hey everyone.

I was originally working 5 days a week and on average was doing about 35-40 hours a week. My contract states I'm owed a 15 hour minimum week of work even tho since starting the job 2 months ago I have never had anything less than 30 hours. In the past two weeks my hours have been cut to 15 per week, 2 days per week. Am I eligible for this payment? I tried talking with HR about this but they basically laughed me off (our HR team is well known for being absolutely evil) and told me there is nothing they can do

So I used the mywelfare.ie site to sign up for the covid payment and when they asked me what best described my situation I said hours were reduced but still working. Am I eligible or did I sign up for the wrong thing? At this point I'm honestly debating getting fired on purpose just so I can sign up for the full dole, my job isnt even essential (I'm a deli worker and since covid hit id be lucky to serve 10 customers during a 10 hour shift, last week we made 1k from deli food and had 4k in wastage, its a joke.)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,274 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Badwulf wrote: »
    Hey everyone.

I was originally working 5 days a week and on average was doing about 35-40 hours a week. My contract states I'm owed a 15 hour minimum week of work even tho since starting the job 2 months ago I have never had anything less than 30 hours. In the past two weeks my hours have been cut to 15 per week, 2 days per week. Am I eligible for this payment? I tried talking with HR about this but they basically laughed me off (our HR team is well known for being absolutely evil) and told me there is nothing they can do

So I used the mywelfare.ie site to sign up for the covid payment and when they asked me what best described my situation I said hours were reduced but still working. Am I eligible or did I sign up for the wrong thing? At this point I'm honestly debating getting fired on purpose just so I can sign up for the full dole, my job isnt even essential (I'm a deli worker and since covid hit id be lucky to serve 10 customers during a 10 hour shift, last week we made 1k from deli food and had 4k in wastage, its a joke.)

Remember the pandemic payment is only for 12 weeks. You should sign up for the x's and o's and get social welfare for the days you are not working as your hours have been reduced.

It is a horrible situation.

Scroll down at the link below for a bit of information.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/contracts_of_employment/being_asked_to_reduce_your_hours_of_work.html#l94d90

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

Dodge wrote: »

That's can't be right. Out of a labor force of 2,357,431...that would mean that over 30% of all working capable people are getting welfare support?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

Yeah - on the form you definitely put down the last day you worked ie. the last day you were "paid to". Not the day you were actually paid.

I emailed info@welfare.ie and they have confirmed that this is correct. Just updating to let people know as there was some argument about this further up the thread.

Advertisement