Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government Benefits Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭AndyOHart

Maybe she wasn't on job seekers I'm not sure, she works as a fitness instructor but doesn't make much so was on whatever that is I guess, she worked 2 days and got benefit for 3.
    It must of been in error since the lady called and cancelled for her. Worried that there will be issues now getting her back on it and now she wont have anything

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Just checked on mywelfare in payments and it says "Execeptional Needs Payment" €350

Is this the covid19 payment and will my arrears be given?

They are even going to look at arrears till it’s all sorted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

AndyOHart wrote: »
    Hey my missus was on jobseekers, getting 200 a week.
    She applied for the COVID benefit thing since she was out of work, got a call off somebody a few days ago who said she will be on the COVID benefit and she will cancel her current payment.
    Got an email last night saying she didn't get the COVID benefit, and today didn't get paid at all (Assuming since the lady cancelled her).
    What can be done? Who should we call? The welfare office doesn't answer the phone and is closed.

She had to have been actually working on March 13 to get the Covid Payment. Was she working? If she wasn’t then she’s not getting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭AndyOHart

Working but not full time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

AndyOHart wrote: »
    Working but not full time

If she was working part time and now is unemployed she should be getting payment as many part time workers are and actually getting more on the emergency payment then they were earning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Daddy_Pig

Hi All,

I think I know the answer to this but want to check opinions.
    I'm being laid off due to Covid 19, but luckily my employer has been in a position to provide me with a months notice, so I am still employed until early May.

Should i complete the form now and put my final employment date in the future or should I wait until my final employment date to complete the form?

I tried citizens info and all of the FAQs available etc

Thanks a million in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Jin luk

Husband applied almost 3 weeks ago. Called last week when there was nothing from them, and it wasn't in his account. Turns out they had entered his DOB incorrectly and it was holding it up. They said they'd fixed it, and it should be here this week.

This morning again, there was nothing. Called again, and the DOB hadn't actually been fixed. They said they fixed it now, and he should have it next week. I'd say they're just under savage pressure.

Ive been talking to them in dundalk and theyve said their was a problem were a load of applications where closed for no reason they said they would call me back its frustating to see people apply last week and get it this week ive made 3 applications 2 written and 1 online i can understand their busy and all but surely if you apply 3-4 weeks ago you should be getting it before someone who applied last week

• Registered Users Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭✭blueser

The money went into my account overnight, yet the MyWelfare site is showing my application as still "in progress"...

E4w120a.png

Alaso, despite what that says, I haven't yet applied for Jobseeker's Benefit. Strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I posted out the form for the emergency payment on March 24th, wasn't a payment for me last week or this week but at the same time I have never heard from them to say I was turned down (which I have heard of one or two getting an email). Any idea what the delay might be? I applied online again today, I was working as a substitute teacher, have never claimed any type of welfare before.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭BannerBoy1

Hey everyone. So basically in my workplace the majority of us are part time workers. We on average make about €150 week. The past few weeks we've been working from home and have been making about 60/90 euro a week. A good few people 2 weeks ago applied for the unemployment payment saying how they are still working but have reduced hours, and last week got the 350. So myself and others decided to do the same thing last week seeing as they got it, however we were all rejected, and yet the others still managed to get another 350 this week. I was just wondering if you have reduced hours but are still working are you eligible for this? Or did the others just get extremely lucky to get this payment? I'm not annoyed that I didn't get this payment because I don't really deserve it but it's just incredibly frustrating when you are doing the exact same work as others and they managed to get €700 in 2 weeks!

• Advertisement

BannerBoy1 wrote: »
    Hey everyone. So basically in my workplace the majority of us are part time workers. We on average make about €150 week. The past few weeks we've been working from home and have been making about 60/90 euro a week. A good few people 2 weeks ago applied for the unemployment payment saying how they are still working but have reduced hours, and last week got the 350. So myself and others decided to do the same thing last week seeing as they got it, however we were all rejected, and yet the others still managed to get another 350 this week. I was just wondering if you have reduced hours but are still working are you eligible for this? Or did the others just get extremely lucky to get this payment? I'm not annoyed that I didn't get this payment because I don't really deserve it but it's just incredibly frustrating when you are doing the exact same work as others and they managed to get €700 in 2 weeks!

The €350 is for people who are out of work altogether,don't know how the others got the €350 even on reduced hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

There was no place on the covid emergency application form to state any of this. It simply asked for your pps, last day of work, name, DOB and employer details.

jrosen wrote: »
    There was no place on the covid emergency application form to state any of this. It simply asked for your pps, last day of work, name, DOB and employer details.

There was, I'm not sure how to insert a screenshot of it here but on the application but it asks "Which of the following best describes your current employment situation?" And there was an option that says "Still working but hours reduced".

This was for the COVID-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 10,274 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

This was for the COVID-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment anyway

And if anyone said anything other than they had stopped working, then they they didn’t get a payment

Your colleagues/friends lied on their form or lied to you

There’s a check with revenue too

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Tommy Max

can anybody confirm how the net weekly average wage figure is calculated for employees who are paid monthly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Tommy Max wrote: »
    can anybody confirm how the net weekly average wage figure is calculated for employees who are paid monthly?

Well there were 9 weeks up to end of Feb so I'm going with January and February pay combined divided by 9.
    But I don't see any guidance in the revenue document about this.
    I've only ran weekly ones so far, monthly is in 2 weeks time so hopefully I know for sure by then.

I don't know what I'm supposed to do. I posted before about being self employed and the work from my main client dropping to about one day a week (used to be 3 days per week). This has now decreased even further to just a couple of hours per week. It's a good client who I've worked with for over a year and I know I'll get more work from them when this passes. This client is my main source of income in normal times. The few hours I'm doing are related to a project that's running until August.

Am I really supposed to drop the one remaining client I have, jeopardising my ability to make a living when this is over, so that I can apply for the covid payment? I can't live off €60 per week, but I also need to make sure I'm able to earn a living when this is over.

I heard Regina Doherty on Newstalk the other day and someone texted in a similar question, and she told them that while it goes against everything she believes in to tell someone to refuse work, you can't do any work at all while receiving the payment.

Seems there's no provision at all for people in this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

I was out sick from the 14th to 28th with suspected Covid 19 while waiting on testing. The illness benefit form was sent off and I've just got a letter back today saying I qualify for illness Ben.

But, it is for the €203 rate and not the Covid €350. They are also docking a week. Wtf are they doing the form was filled out perfectly.

My father's benefit was also ****ed up, hasn't had payment in 3 ****ing weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭✭blueser

So; what's the story re. claiming jobseeker's if you are currently in receipt of the PUP? I finally got my RP9 form from my company today. I did a dry run on the MyWelfare site previously, but obviously only got as far as where you had to forward documentation re your "redundancy". I've read comments on here that you should submit your claim for jobseeker's as soon as possible. Any experience re this? My company reckon we'll be back working before the 12 weeks covered by the PUP is up. I'm not so sure, but hey ho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

I'm hearing a lot of conflicted information regarding statutory redundancy payments. Can anyone confirm, if someone is made redundant during the crisis, they will receive zero redundancy payment?

I'm hearing a lot of conflicted information regarding statutory redundancy payments. Can anyone confirm, if someone is made redundant during the crisis, they will receive zero redundancy payment?

Really, a easy way for a employer to move on any long term employees to save any future cost if employer wants to close up.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Alltherage

I've not seen anything to suggest redundancy would be impacted. Though with all the phrasing of preserving the link to the employer being used referring to the revenue scheme instead of a lay off I'm not entirely sure these lay offs function like normal lay offs as it implies that there is some severing of the link/contract that isn't just the usual temporary suspension.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Flibble

Flying Fox wrote: »
    I don't know what I'm supposed to do. I posted before about being self employed and the work from my main client dropping to about one day a week (used to be 3 days per week). This has now decreased even further to just a couple of hours per week. It's a good client who I've worked with for over a year and I know I'll get more work from them when this passes. This client is my main source of income in normal times. The few hours I'm doing are related to a project that's running until August.

Am I really supposed to drop the one remaining client I have, jeopardising my ability to make a living when this is over, so that I can apply for the covid payment? I can't live off €60 per week, but I also need to make sure I'm able to earn a living when this is over.

I heard Regina Doherty on Newstalk the other day and someone texted in a similar question, and she told them that while it goes against everything she believes in to tell someone to refuse work, you can't do any work at all while receiving the payment.

Seems there's no provision at all for people in this situation.

How well do you get on with this client? Presumably you have a good relationship with them... Could you have a chat with them telling them you'll continue doing the work, but they stop paying you- you'll invoice them retrospectively when this is all over?

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭head82

I've some concern regarding this as well.
    I initially read that during this 'emergency', any application for statuary redundancy would not be entertained if there was a risk of putting your employer into insolvency.

I think you could previously apply for redundancy if you were laid off for a period of four weeks and your employer then had four weeks to accept your application or guarantee you 13 weeks of employment.

However, on a recent Sean O' Rourke show, a legal 'employment' expert was asked the same question and stated an application for statutary redundancy would only be entertained after 31 May.

ie. if your employer called you back to work on the 30 May, redundancy could not be applied for.

More clarification required regarding this.

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Really, a easy way for a employer to move on any long term employees to save any future cost if employer wants to close up.

employers cannot avoid statutory redundancy. it merely cannot be claimed until end of may instead of immediately.

The employee still has its rights of redundancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

Tommy Max wrote: »
    employers cannot avoid statutory redundancy. it merely cannot be claimed until end of may instead of immediately.

The employee still has its rights of redundancy.

I'd certainly hope this is the case, there's quite a lot of long serving employees in retail who could sadly be quickly replaced after this is over by younger employees, I'd hate to see an unscrupulous employer see this pandemic as an opportunity to get rid of these workers without redundancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 aisleseat

michellie wrote: »
    I was out sick from the 14th to 28th with suspected Covid 19 while waiting on testing. The illness benefit form was sent off and I've just got a letter back today saying I qualify for illness Ben.

But, it is for the €203 rate and not the Covid €350. They are also docking a week. Wtf are they doing the form was filled out perfectly.

My father's benefit was also ****ed up, hasn't had payment in 3 ****ing weeks

Were you made unemployed from the 14th - 28th ?
    The 350 only applies when you "Have lost your job or be temporarily laid off from work or asked to stay at home from work due to the pandemic"

If you have been diagnosed with COVID-19 or have been told to self-isolate by your GP, you can only apply for Illness Benefit.

Well there were 9 weeks up to end of Feb so I'm going with January and February pay combined divided by 9.
    But I don't see any guidance in the revenue document about this.
    I've only ran weekly ones so far, monthly is in 2 weeks time so hopefully I know for sure by then.

Am I right in saying for monthly paid workers then using 9 weeks is not a true reflection on what the weekly wage would based annually.

multiple your monthly net salary by 12. and then divide by 53. compare that to the average under this scheme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

aisleseat wrote: »
    Were you made unemployed from the 14th - 28th ?
    The 350 only applies when you "Have lost your job or be temporarily laid off from work or asked to stay at home from work due to the pandemic"

If you have been diagnosed with COVID-19 or have been told to self-isolate by your GP, you can only apply for Illness Benefit.

I was self isolating from the 14th to 28th while waiting for Covid testing and results. Work closed then on the 29th after leo' lockdown speech.

They lost part of my form, they asked for an Ecert from my doctor who weren't happy with being asked again, they have enough to do as it is

Advertisement