Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government Benefits Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭GreenGrass2019

I've been collecting 350 at the PO every Tuesday but I see some people got a double payment into their accounts this week. I'm assuming my payment will be there on Tuesday?

Hi yes your payment will already be in the post office, due to the bank holiday payments need to be made earlier to be available for next Tuesday. If your post office is open tomorrow you can collect next Tuesdays payment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭ToddDameron

Hi yes your payment will already be in the post office, due to the bank holiday payments need to be made earlier to be available for next Tuesday. If your post office is open tomorrow you can collect next Tuesdays payment.

Thanks a mill.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 KeithM94

For anyone curious, and haven't seen it mentioned, I got an email claiming there has been administrative errors on behalf on the Department, and I got a once off 350 payment Thursday at midnight (wednesday night).

They then stated how my app will be done by next tuesday and I should be paid by then if accepted. Anyone else?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I'm self employed and on the BTWEA and just started into Year 2 which is a reduced payment of 75% per week.

Social Welfare informed me about 2 weeks ago that I can apply for the Covid19 payment as my business has completely dried up, I can't even operate the business with the restrictions. They said once the 12 weeks is up that I would revert back to the BTWEA payment.

I sent off the application last week for the covid payment. Received my first payment this week on Tuesday. Just after receiving an email from mywelfare.ie that I am no longer eligible for the payment and will not receive any more payments as I am already on a payment.

Has this happened to anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Gonzo wrote: »
    I'm self employed and on the BTWEA and just started into Year 2 which is a reduced payment of 75% per week.

Social Welfare informed me about 2 weeks ago that I can apply for the Covid19 payment as my business has completely dried up, I can't even operate the business with the restrictions. They said once the 12 weeks is up that I would revert back to the BTWEA payment.

I sent off the application last week for the covid payment. Received my first payment this week on Tuesday. Just after receiving an email from mywelfare.ie that I am no longer eligible for the payment and will not receive any more payments as I am already on a payment.

If you read back a bit - it was confirmed that people who received these emails did so in error.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

It’s not nonsense I can 100% guarantee

Grand. You can link me then to gov.ie or citizensinformation.ie as soon as you can find it.

https://www.thejournal.ie/unemployment-payment-error-5072126-Apr2020/?utm_source=shortlink&fbclid=IwAR3d9XUoH24NzPPrEjYhIl2KQS_yuIvem55WrA1GFCIiAnjyzOwnfXWnI_k

Clodz6 wrote: »
    Hi all

Prior to the pubs shutting down, I had been working in a bar at the weekend, cash-in-hand, as I'm a student.

Can I still apply for the Covid payment or will I be landing myself and my employer in trouble for the cash in hand payments?

Obviously I'm out of work now, so anything would help

There’s no record of you ever having a job so unfortunately you’re disqualified.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

splinter65 wrote: »

the article says they have been notifying precipitants by email today informing them of the error and that they will paid on Wednesday 15th, I haven't received any such email just yet.

Gonzo, as a side note RE: BTWEA, SW informed you incorrectly, you're entitled to receive the PUP in addition to your weekly 75% for BTWEA recipients, you should have received a double payment on Wednesday night gone for the next two weeks of your BTWEA income support - if you have not you need to follow up with your case officer / Intreo to get it sorted.
    Or the SICAP for your area would be another good resource if you have not already dealt with them, they will have a BTWEA support officer. See the following link.

https://ildn.ie/themes/employment-services/

Finally anyone on BTWEA where their trade has ceased due to Covid 19 that got the email last night to say their PUP was cancelled after review (this was an error made by the DEASP) will receive payment next Wednesday (15 April) and Tuesdays (21st April, etc) going forward after that!

Hope this helps and puts your mind at ease, I had a very stressful 18 hours with it all! A great relief to know it is all resolved now :)

• Advertisement

the article says they have been notifying precipitants by email today informing them of the error and that they will paid on Wednesday 15th, I haven't received any such email just yet.

I'd suggest you send an email to info@welfare.ie and to contact your case officer directly also, I wouldn't get too concerned as I would think it's more so a timing thing!

Gonzo, as a side note RE: BTWEA, SW informed you incorrectly, you're entitled to receive the PUP in addition to your weekly 75% for BTWEA recipients, you should have received a double payment on Wednesday night gone for the next two weeks of your BTWEA income support - if you have not you need to follow up with your case officer / Intreo to get it sorted.
    Or the SICAP for your area would be another good resource if you have not already dealt with them, they will have a BTWEA support officer. See the following link.

https://ildn.ie/themes/employment-services/

Finally anyone on BTWEA where their trade has ceased due to Covid 19 that got the email last night to say their PUP was cancelled after review (this was an error made by the DEASP) will receive payment next Wednesday (15 April) and Tuesdays (21st April, etc) going forward after that!

Hope this helps and puts your mind at ease, I had a very stressful 18 hours with it all! A great relief to know it is all resolved now :)

many thanks for your reply! I received a double payment for the BTWEA last Thursday 02 April, next payment should be Wednesday or Thursday next week.

I'll keep an eye out for the covid payment next Wednesday! Fingers crossed all is ok! Feeling less stressed about this now.

many thanks for your reply! I received a double payment for the BTWEA last Thursday 02 April, next payment should be Wednesday or Thursday next week.

I'll keep an eye out for the covid payment next Wednesday! Fingers crossed all is ok! Feeling less stressed about this now.

You're welcome :)

Yes I would think you'll get the BTWEA double payment next Thursday. It's always on the same day of the week. Maybe just put in a call next week to confirm its still in place following your previous conversation with SW! For peace of mind.

I would think you'll receive another email at some stage saying the one you received earlier was sent in error and that your PUP will be paid to you next Wednesday. There is no reason for it not to be :) As I say I would take it as a timing thing.
    I'd put in an email to info@welfare.ie in the meantime to ensure you have notified them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Just checked my bank account, and the PUP payment for next tuesday (14th) is already in the account. Is that normal, to be in 3 or 4 days early?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

blueser wrote: »
    Just checked my bank account, and the PUP payment for next tuesday (14th) is already in the account. Is that normal, to be in 3 or 4 days early?

It's because yesterday and Monday are bank holidays so better to have it early than late.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Pinkpotato

It's a Bank Holiday weekend, Bank payments are nearly always early on Bank Holidays

Completely forgot about the bank holiday element. Thanks for the clarification.

Completely forgot about the bank holiday element. Thanks for the clarification.

It’s easy to forget about the bank holiday with 3 more weeks of bank holidays in front of us.

splinter65 wrote: »
    It’s easy to forget about the bank holiday with 3 more weeks of bank holidays in front of us.
    Indeed.

Hi - Quick FYI for anyone receiving PUP, as a lot of posts regarding having received the payment already.

The payment will always be in your account a head of time if there is a bank holiday in-between, due to how the banking system works.

Therefore -

May Bank Holiday - PUP will go into your bank account on Friday night, time dependent on which bank you're with, i.e.: UB, BOI, AIB, etc.
    June Bank Holiday - PUP will go into your bank account on Friday night, time dependent on which bank you're with, i.e.: UB, BOI, AIB, etc.

As a side note (speaking from experience!) - If the DEASP decide to transfer it earlier as they often do, there is a possibility depending on when they run the payments it could hit your bank account on the Thursday night, but if they go ahead with a normal transaction date for the Tuesday following the bank holiday it will be in your account on the Friday night as stated above :)

Hope this is of help for everyone going forward so they will know for May and June.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Hi - Quick FYI for anyone receiving PUP, as a lot of posts regarding having received the payment already.

The payment will always be in your account a head of time if there is a bank holiday in-between, due to how the banking system works.

Therefore -

May Bank Holiday - PUP will go into your bank account on Friday night, time dependent on which bank you're with, i.e.: UB, BOI, AIB, etc.
    June Bank Holiday - PUP will go into your bank account on Friday night, time dependent on which bank you're with, i.e.: UB, BOI, AIB, etc.

As a side note (speaking from experience!) - If the DEASP decide to transfer it earlier as they often do, there is a possibility depending on when they run the payments it could hit your bank account on the Thursday night, but if they go ahead with a normal transaction date for the Tuesday following the bank holiday it will be in your account on the Friday night as stated above :)

Hope this is of help for everyone going forward so they will know for May and June.

Quoted for emphasis. And the bloody circulars regarding the payments need to be in plain English and widely distributed. Until now, the bank holiday fiasco has been confined to civil servants and long-term recipients. Both groups had a bit of knowledge about it and neither could depend on the bank IT systems (hello, TSB) playing ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Mackwiss

I'm one of those that didn't get any email. I'll try and go to the local office on Tuesday morning and talk with someone. My covid19 sick payment ended on the 26th and I tried to apply for the covid19 support (non-sick payment) but they keep being refused as on the govwebsite it shows I am on the sick payment still. After a number of emails somone finally told me this and to go to an intreo office and talk with someone about it...

I'm not looking for any extra payment I literally just need the basic 350€ and that's it. I have had no other income since the 8th of March and I have my taxes paid up to last year. And all in all I can't get this sorted because on the 13th of March my doctor advised me to self-isolate as I have Asthma and to claim this benefit.

So as it was suggested I'll go Tuesday morning to the social welfare office and see if I can speak with someone about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

are ye all as happy as the oddballs in that KBC ad with your money :P:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Wii776

Mackwiss wrote: »
    I'm one of those that didn't get any email. I'll try and go to the local office on Tuesday morning and talk with someone. My covid19 sick payment ended on the 26th and I tried to apply for the covid19 support (non-sick payment) but they keep being refused as on the govwebsite it shows I am on the sick payment still. After a number of emails somone finally told me this and to go to an intreo office and talk with someone about it...

I'm not looking for any extra payment I literally just need the basic 350€ and that's it. I have had no other income since the 8th of March and I have my taxes paid up to last year. And all in all I can't get this sorted because on the 13th of March my doctor advised me to self-isolate as I have Asthma and to claim this benefit.

So as it was suggested I'll go Tuesday morning to the social welfare office and see if I can speak with someone about this.

Sorry to hear you are in this situation. For what it's worth I emailed them several times and eventually got a reply a week later. If you have asthma, maybe stay away from the offices as you are at much higher risk of serious illness if you catch covid. Keep emailing. They ate understandably busy, but will get back to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Mackwiss wrote: »

You'll need the IB claim closed as and from the date of your final cert. email illnessbenefit@welfare.ie. Include your PPS number and the date the claim ceased. They won't be at their desks until Tuesday but the sooner the better. Otherwise the computer will just say No. Basically state in the email what you've said in your post. And all the best. The Intreo office is a viable option but all they'll do is the same thing - send an email. It might get attention faster but I'd do both. You can't close the same claim twice.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    are ye all as happy as the oddballs in that KBC ad with your money :P:P
    More of a MacD's man meself!

Silly question perhaps, but wonder can anyone clarify this..

I am a sole trader. I get my €350 off Social Welfare. Most welfare payments are taxed at source.. is this one?! Or will I be getting taxed on my €350 next October?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Anniepower

KeithM94 wrote: »
    For anyone curious, and haven't seen it mentioned, I got an email claiming there has been administrative errors on behalf on the Department, and I got a once off 350 payment Thursday at midnight (wednesday night).

They then stated how my app will be done by next tuesday and I should be paid by then if accepted. Anyone else?

I also got the same email as you was rather strange. I just checked the bank account there and have received no payment nor any explanation on where I stand as regards my application on my welfare.ie.

Did you receive any payment ?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭myate

Silly question perhaps, but wonder can anyone clarify this..

I am a sole trader. I get my €350 off Social Welfare. Most welfare payments are taxed at source.. is this one?! Or will I be getting taxed on my €350 next October?

Probably, although it should be taxed the year after if it follows normal income for us self employed. One for our accountants to sort, they're going to have an easy return next year!!! On that same note, I hope Revenue let us lower the preliminary tax this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Lyra Fangs

My partner got his first payment on the 7th but didn't receive the payment for this week (early or otherwise). Is that something other people have experienced?

Presumably his application was successful as he got one payment - what's the best course of action from here?

Advertisement