Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government Benefits Megathread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Lyra Fangs wrote: »
    My partner got his first payment on the 7th but didn't receive the payment for this week (early or otherwise). Is that something other people have experienced?

Presumably his application was successful as he got one payment - what's the best course of action from here?

did he get an email last Thursday to say he was no longer eligible for the payment? A few thousand received this email last Thursday and by mistake, I'm in the same position and apparently we will we paid hopefully tomorrow. I haven't heard anything back from the department since the original email last Thursday and will be checking tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Hi all,

Quick question that I can't seem to find an answer to.

My boyfriend is a Brazilian national who was working prior to this outbreak with a letting agency. The agency has gone under due to this outbreak and so he is now currently claiming the 350 euro benefit for being out of work.

At first I was worried because I was under the assumption that non nationals wouldn't be able to claim. Now that that is cleared up, my attention is being directed to what happens when this blows over?

When the payment is ceased, I assume he is not entitled to job seekers while he tries to get back on his feet with a new job? Taking that assumption so we can put some funds to the side now.

Thanks,
    G

• Registered Users Posts: 10,274 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Depending on how long he worked here he may have built up enough PRSI to claim jobseekers

It’s effectively 2 years
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/jobseekers_benefit.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10 KeithM94

Anniepower wrote: »
    I also got the same email as you was rather strange. I just checked the bank account there and have received no payment nor any explanation on where I stand as regards my application on my welfare.ie.

Did you receive any payment ?

Hey, yes I received payment, and even got this weeks too, which means I was accepted without any notification claiming so..awful confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Anniepower

KeithM94 wrote: »
    Hey, yes I received payment, and even got this weeks too, which means I was accepted without any notification claiming so..awful confusing.

I only got the one off payment due to an administrative error and I have received zero since I was expecting something today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Lyra Fangs

Gonzo wrote: »
    did he get an email last Thursday to say he was no longer eligible for the payment? A few thousand received this email last Thursday and by mistake, I'm in the same position and apparently we will we paid hopefully tomorrow. I haven't heard anything back from the department since the original email last Thursday and will be checking tomorrow.

He didn't get any email AFAIK - we emailed welfare.ie so hopefully they can shed light on the situation. Fingers crossed for a payment tomorrow! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭beaver111

Any word of when the back payment will be given out??

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭beaver111

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

beaver111 wrote: »

There is no back payment. You get paid for 12 straight weeks from the first payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Pinkpotato

BanditLuke wrote: »
    There is no back payment. You get paid for 12 straight weeks from the first payment.

That is incorrect
    The payment is not for 12 weeks, it is for the duration of the Pandemic.
    It will be backdated howere the higher rate will not be backdated before the date it was implementated, so if you had the 203 you will not be paid the difference for those weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Anniepower

Got through to social welfare office today, I notified them I had received a payment due to an error on there side. She said this was due to my postcode showing up as being in Northern Ireland on there system despite her checking externally and it showing to my address. I asked her where do I stand and she said unfortunately all I can do is reapply.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Tommy Max

in regards the processing of monthly salary employees under the covid wage subsidy scheme, how is this taxed?

for example, employee average weekly net is €700. the subsidy covers €350. if the company top up the remaining €350 to bring it in line with what the employee usually receives net weekly, how is this taxed?

Am I right in saying this is taxed on the employee at year end. so it's not in truth a real net pay as the employee has yet to be taxed on it.

The revenue guidance is not clear on that area. 

Hope you can assist?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Tommy Max wrote: »
    in regards the processing of monthly salary employees under the covid wage subsidy scheme, how is this taxed?

for example, employee average weekly net is €700. the subsidy covers €350. if the company top up the remaining €350 to bring it in line with what the employee usually receives net weekly, how is this taxed?

Am I right in saying this is taxed on the employee at year end. so it's not in truth a real net pay as the employee has yet to be taxed on it.

The revenue guidance is not clear on that area. 

Hope you can assist?

The covid amount of 350 should be shown separately as a non taxable amount (for now) the other 350 is normal taxabl pay so if it’s to be 350 net, you would need to gross it up and tax it.

Also the prsi category is to be changed to J9 this is how revenue counts how many 410s they rebate at present (they are essentially over rebating until it was to be reconciled around the 20th April - prob won’t happen until later).

The J9 rate may also cause problems with the taxable amount as it may not be the correct prsi %. So lots of issues

• Registered Users Posts: 16 TheGreatMotif

Pinkpotato wrote: »
    That is incorrect
    The payment is not for 12 weeks, it is for the duration of the Pandemic.
    It will be backdated howere the higher rate will not be backdated before the date it was implementated, so if you had the 203 you will not be paid the difference for those weeks.

Would you happen to have a source on this? With regards to the 12 week duration. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Would you happen to have a source on this? With regards to the 12 week duration. Thanks.

https://www.gov.ie/en/service/be74d3-covid-19-pandemic-unemployment-payment/

What better source than the very easily self searchable government website.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

JCX BXC wrote: »
    https://www.gov.ie/en/service/be74d3-covid-19-pandemic-unemployment-payment/

What better source than the very easily self searchable government website.

Yesterday in this thread was the first time I (and probably many others) had heard of this, it's a fantastic relief, but it wasn't really publicised. I don't know if it's good or bad news though, if this goes till Sep/Oct and you're paying 500,000 people 350 a week.....

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Yesterday in this thread was the first time I (and probably many others) had heard of this, it's a fantastic relief, but it wasn't really publicised. I don't know if it's good or bad news though, if this goes till Sep/Oct and you're paying 500,000 people 350 a week.....

Really? It has been all over the media for weeks. I would think the vast majority of the public are aware of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Flying Fox wrote: »
    Really? It has been all over the media for weeks. I would think the vast majority of the public are aware of it.

This article is from yesterday and makes no mention of the duration being extended, and even a Google of covid 19 payment just brings up c+p articles like the one above. Last night was genuinely the first time I saw the duration of the pandemic bit. And it was the same in the WhatsApp group for my colleagues.

https://www.rte.ie/amp/1130435/

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭brianomc

Even the page on the mywelfare site where you apply for the payment says 12 weeks. And the government originally announced it as an extension to 12 weeks so I think that's why that number is stuck in our heads as opposed to saying it was for the duration of the pandemic.

Hopefully the vast majority will be back working again before 12 weeks is up.

https://services.mywelfare.ie/en/breakdown-pages/important-notice/

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Jordan1704

I was receiving the Pandemic Payment of €350/week fine and last week decided to change my payment method from post office collection to a straight deposit into my bank account, and that seemed to be fine until this week I didn't receive anything, not even the email to say the payment was going to be made which usually comes the day before, has this happened to anyone else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Galway20188

Jordan1704 wrote: »
    I was receiving the Pandemic Payment of €350/week fine and last week decided to change my payment method from post office collection to a straight deposit into my bank account, and that seemed to be fine until this week I didn't receive anything, not even the email to say the payment was going to be made which usually comes the day before, has this happened to anyone else?

Two payments were given last week because of the bank holiday one on Tuesday and one on Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 7,292 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Anyone elses 350 payment not go through this week ? Got 2 payments previous but this Tuesday nothing. Assumed was because of bank holiday. No email etc stating otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Anyone elses 350 payment not go through this week ? Got 2 payments previous but this Tuesday nothing. Assumed was because of bank holiday. No email etc stating otherwise

You got 2 payments last week for this week. So you wont be due anything until next Tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 7,292 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

jrosen wrote: »
    You got 2 payments last week for this week. So you wont be due anything until next Tuesday

Nope. Just last Tuesdays payment.

That's why I'm asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Jordan1704

Yeah I only received one week’s payment last week too, nothing in advance for this week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

jrosen wrote: »

i know someone who applied online last week and hasnt received it yet . How long do they have to wait ? Do they have to wait 2 weeks ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

If you’ve only had one payment so far, and that was last Thursday, then that payment was for this week, paid in advance because of the 4 day weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

The covid amount of 350 should be shown separately as a non taxable amount (for now) the other 350 is normal taxabl pay so if it’s to be 350 net, you would need to gross it up and tax it.

Also the prsi category is to be changed to J9 this is how revenue counts how many 410s they rebate at present (they are essentially over rebating until it was to be reconciled around the 20th April - prob won’t happen until later).

The J9 rate may also cause problems with the taxable amount as it may not be the correct prsi %. So lots of issues

It's possible so that after all the tax is deducted that people on the emergency payment not working will actually earn more than some people working under the scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭vodkacz

brianomc wrote: »
    Even the page on the mywelfare site where you apply for the payment says 12 weeks. And the government originally announced it as an extension to 12 weeks so I think that's why that number is stuck in our heads as opposed to saying it was for the duration of the pandemic.

Hopefully the vast majority will be back working again before 12 weeks is up.

https://services.mywelfare.ie/en/breakdown-pages/important-notice/

I'm after ringing my local Intreo office and the woman had no knowledge of any change in the duration of Pandemic Unemployment Payment. She said that as far as she knew the payment was still put for 12 weeks. I even bothered to ring alternative number especially designed for covid 19 unemployment payment. And again same message - completely unaware of any changes regarding timeframe for this payment.
    Now why would official government website put up such information without any official announcement beforehand, that's another story...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭monty_python

So is it not going to be backdated?
    It took 3 weeks to get my claim approved. 1050 I missed because it took ages and 2 applications to get it

Advertisement