Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government Benefits Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Clashmore

Quick question, I returned to work following Maternity Leave on the 13th April 2020 the company I work for is an essential service so everyone is working. They have told me there is no work for me until May 2020. Can I claim the Pandemic payment of €350 as I am available to work since the 13th of April 2020

TIA
    Clashmore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Clashmore wrote: »
    Quick question, I returned to work following Maternity Leave on the 13th April 2020 the company I work for is an essential service so everyone is working. They have told me there is no work for me until May 2020. Can I claim the Pandemic payment of €350 as I am available to work since the 13th of April 2020

TIA
    Clashmore

Actually once you have told your work you are available and willing to work they must pay your wage. If not they need to lay you off or short time, this must be notified and selection process could not take the fact you were on maternity leave at the time previously as this would fall under discrimination

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭GreenGrass2019

beth-lou wrote: »
    I will get onto them. Thank you.
    beth-lou wrote: »
    No. I am earning 30% less and was not informed that I would have a wage reduction. All employees received a letter stating that the business was closing for a week due to lockdown and we were back on the 14th April. The letter stated that we were on wage subsidy until the 12th of April only and that the employer was generously topping up wages and that we may see in an increase in our wage due to tax and prsi. There was no mention of a reduction in pay. We returned to work on the 14th and there was no mention that either the wage subsidy was continuing or that my wages were 30% less. I only discovered this when I checked my payslip on Friday morning. When I asked about it I was told to “suck it up!”

Most definitely do as going on your response above this does not add up and to be given the response you were given sounds very shady!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Is Tuesday a double week for CovID payment?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Lashes28 wrote: »

No, don't think so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

No, as per the government website, this payment is a weekly payment.

The idea behind the double week is to stagger the amount of people presenting at the post office. As this payment is straight into your bank, there's no need for it to be fortnightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

JCX BXC wrote: »
    No, as per the government website, this payment is a weekly payment.

The idea behind the double week is to stagger the amount of people presenting at the post office. As this payment is straight into your bank, there's no need for it to be fortnightly.

My dad receives it through the post office. But thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

My dad receives it through the post office. But thanks

Still weekly, and still for the reason posted. It's intended at least as an bank transfer payment.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Is the COVID-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment backdated? We only realised my wife was eligible for it recently, and started getting it on 7th April. Figured i'd check if we could also get it for the previous weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Galway20188

Anyone have any clarity on whether it’s 12 weeks or until this ends? Just wondering as I’ve seen some different answers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭celt262

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Anyone have any clarity on whether it’s 12 weeks or until this ends? Just wondering as I’ve seen some different answers

12 weeks. Might be extended by a few weeks a la the fuel allowance depending on whether they can afford to - which I doubt. Plenty of people coped (and are coping) on €203 per week until this began. Look out for info on gov.ie or reliable news sources. Consider YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Reddit etc as part of the Disney network.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

celt262 wrote: »
    I'd imagine that's from Facebook so must be true.

Whatever they would be entitled to welfare as EU citizens for 3 months if not working .

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Heiser

rgossip30 wrote: »
    Whatever they would be entitled to welfare as EU citizens for 3 months if not working .

No they wouldn't. They won't receive a social welfare payment if they just got off a plane here the other day.

Stop believing everything you read on Facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

I don’t know where you heard that but you really couldn’t be any more wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

Heiser wrote: »
    No they wouldn't. They won't receive a social welfare payment if they just got off a plane here the other day.

splinter65 wrote: »
    I don’t know where you heard that but you really couldn’t be any more wrong.

They could easily develop a cough and be instructed to self isolate for 350 per week . And since they're tax resident elsewhere, don't hold your breath about clawing anything back.
    How generous of the taxpayer to backstop keelings. Hurrah for the taxpayer.

They could easily develop a cough and be instructed to self isolate for 350 per week . And since they're tax resident elsewhere, don't hold your breath about clawing anything back.

Again, this is incorrect. You need to have been in employment for at least 4 weeks before getting sick to be eligible to claim the Covid19 illness benefit.

Them workers won't be entitled to any social welfare payment. As well as that I'm sure the last thing Keelings will want is them attempting to claim welfare and all the bad publicity that would bring, just as it starts to blow over

• Registered Users Posts: 44 rajqo

12 weeks. Might be extended by a few weeks a la the fuel allowance depending on whether they can afford to - which I doubt. Plenty of people coped (and are coping) on €203 per week until this began. Look out for info on gov.ie or reliable news sources. Consider YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Reddit etc as part of the Disney network.

GOV.ie website also says this:
    The COVID-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment will be in place for the duration of the crisis.

That might be more than 12 weeks though... especially when they said no pubs would reopen this year and it's silly to think that everyone working at a pub would be looking for a new job. It is shut by government order, therefore should be paying people at least that minimum wage amount (350 a week).

Just for comparison - in the US state of New York they are paying unemployment covid-19 benefits at a rate of 1100 us dollars a week (increased from 500 usd a week), so can't see why they wouldn't be able to pay them 350 a week unless they can reopen

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

celt262 wrote: »
    I'd imagine that's from Facebook so must be true.

It's so true because it's a screenshot to make it look authentic and not a plain copy and paste of text. I mean if it were fake then why have the battery level say 71% instead of 100%?

• Advertisement

Again, this is incorrect. You need to have been in employment for at least 4 weeks before getting sick to be eligible to claim the Covid19 illness benefit.

Them workers won't be entitled to any social welfare payment. As well as that I'm sure the last thing Keelings will want is them attempting to claim welfare and all the bad publicity that would bring, just as it starts to blow over

Yawn*

So They could easily develop a cough after 4 weeks and be instructed to self isolate for 350 per week . And since they're tax resident elsewhere, don't hold your breath about clawing anything back.

Yawn*

So They could easily develop a cough after 4 weeks and be instructed to self isolate for 350 per week . And since they're tax resident elsewhere, don't hold your breath about clawing anything back.

What are you yawning about? Don't bother replying if you're bored listening to the facts.

Them workers have to isolate now for two weeks. After that they will need to work here for 4 weeks and then if a doctor signs them off then yes after that 6 week period they might be entitled to the €350 illness benefit......for a period of 2weeks. But they won't be entitled now, as soon as they're off the plane, as was implied earlier.

What are you yawning about? Don't bother replying if you're bored listening to the facts.

Them workers have to isolate now for two weeks. After that they will need to work here for 4 weeks and then if a doctor signs them off then yes after that 6 week period they might be entitled to the €350 illness benefit......for a period of 2weeks. But they won't be entitled now, as soon as they're off the plane, as was implied earlier.

You're wasting your time. Some people just have no interest in the truth or facts. Would rather spread nonsense instead.

This is nonsense also. Even Irish people returning from abroad couldn’t get it.

Yawn*

How embarrassing . What I’m seeing a lot this week is lifetime dole recipients incensed with jealousy that others are getting a slice of what they consider their “pie” and a much bigger slice, albeit temporarily, then they get.

I suggest you look at these links then !

https://moving2ireland.com/rights-of-eu-citizens-in-ireland/

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/migrant_workers/coming_from_eu_to_work.html

The rules have been changed so they now only get the same unemployment payment as their home country .What is noteable is that they only need to get 1 PRSI payment to qualify for welfare payments here after their fruit picking job finishes . They would however not get a rent allowance payment .

I suggest you look at these links then !

https://moving2ireland.com/rights-of-eu-citizens-in-ireland/

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/migrant_workers/coming_from_eu_to_work.html

The rules have been changed so they now only get the same unemployment payment as their home country .What is noteable is that they only need to get 1 PRSI payment to qualify for welfare payments here after their fruit picking job finishes . They would however not get a rent allowance payment .

You need to actually read the links you have provided. Nothing has been changed. If you have been on unemployment benefit for 4 weeks and you move to another EU country then you can transfer your benefit to your country of destination. That’s been the case for around 30 years.
    But to get JSB here you need to be looking for and available for full time work. These fruit pickers are not because they already have a contract to work. So they are disqualified from JSB.
    You’re clutching at straws.

You need to actually read the links you have provided. Nothing has been changed. If you have been on unemployment benefit for 4 weeks and you move to another EU country then you can transfer your benefit to your country of destination. That’s been the case for around 30 years.
    But to get JSB here you need to be looking for and available for full time work. These fruit pickers are not because they already have a contract to work. So they are disqualified from JSB.
    You’re clutching at straws.

The old welfare.ie website never stated that the payment transfer was the same as the home country . They would likely qualify as they are in quarantine the payment is transferred then is the home country paying the welfare .The contract was most likely was made signed etc before the lockdown and it depends on the content . You seem very sure of this do you work in welfare ? This can be down to a deciding officer to make the decision as they say you never know until you try .A covid-19 payment of 350 euro to illegal workers was unheard of 2 weeks ago .The FB page only stated they were looking for welfare NOT getting welfare remember .
    Kellings have stated they will pay the workers in full but have refused to say the rate of pay . This is a problem for Kellings not social welfare .

• Advertisement

How embarrassing . What I’m seeing a lot this week is lifetime dole recipients incensed with jealousy that others are getting a slice of what they consider their “pie” and a much bigger slice, albeit temporarily, then they get.

I too find it amusing when a lifelong scrounger feels hard done by.
    However it's not right to dismiss taxpayers who feel hard done by because historically they're the most oppressed as the serf class who keep everything going. Theres nothing like that feeling when you've worked 7 days in a week and the government takes half your earnings away for their personal friends as though you're sacrificing only limitless time and not precious limited time with family or personal health.
    From where I stand the view quite clearly looks like Keelings is backstopped by the Irish Taxpayer , Social Welfare and the HSE.

Advertisement