Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government Benefits Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

There's a separate thread regarding Keelings, perhaps the above posts could be moved there? This thread has been helpful for people with queries regarding applying for the Pandemic Employment Payment, let's not derail it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

I've only just found this thread and haven't read any previous posts yet.

I'm self-employed but haven't worked since the lockdown began.

Does anyone know how stringent the requirements are for getting the weekly assistance of €350?

Specifically, is a current Tax Clearance certificate necessary?

I ask because I am behind with my tax affairs and have some catching up to do with my returns etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

There's a separate thread regarding Keelings, perhaps the above posts could be moved there? This thread has been helpful for people with queries regarding applying for the Pandemic Employment Payment, let's not derail it.

the original posts were already moved from there to here. Its difficult to categorise ideas sometimes. Theres a lot of overlap. I have nothing more to say on the subject unless someone quotes me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I'm self-employed but haven't worked since the lockdown began.

Does anyone know how stringent the requirements are for getting the weekly assistance of €350?

Specifically, is a current Tax Clearance certificate necessary?

I ask because I am behind with my tax affairs and have some catching up to do with my returns etc.

For Self employed you have to be earning nothing and not on other social welfare payments. I'm on the BTWEA and was initially passed for the Covid19 payment but I received an email the day after the first payment to say I was no longer eligible. I haven't received a covid payment since 7th of April apart from my regular payment. I've emailed the department about it as it could be an error but haven't heard anything back from them. Your probably best to ring your local social welfare centre to see if you qualify.

I'm a photographer, and my work died overnight with the restrictions. I applied straight away as I knew there wasn't a chance of me getting work on. They didn't acknowledge me at all. No letters, emails or phone calls.

The money just appeared in my bank account. All the information I was asked for was just the application form.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

The money just appeared in my bank account. All the information I was asked for was just the application form.

Yes, same for my self employed husband, applied online on the Thursday and was in the account the following Tuesday. Excellent service, hopefully he'll be back to work now in a few weeks if they lift restrictions and he can come off it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Ok, not sure if this is the right thread to be asking so apologies if it isn't.

I'm self employed, my work basically stopped over night so I applied for the €350 and got it no problem.

Today I got an email about an invoice I've been chasing,for work I done last January, saying the invoice would be paid in the next couple of days.

My question is now where do I stand with the €350 benefit? I'm obviously not supposed to be earning an income right now. I truthfully haven't worked since start of March and haven't earned anything since I applied for the benefit.
    This invoice is due since last January so it's not something I've earned since I applied for the benefit. It's a couple of grand of an invoice also.
    Truth be told I thought there was no chance of the invoice ever being paid so was shocked to get email today.

Should I stop the benefit for a few weeks because of this payment? I'm afraid it will be picked up come tax return time in November.
    I genuinely have no prospect of work for at least another month I'd say though.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭GreenGrass2019

Casey78 wrote: »

I'm self employed, my work basically stopped over night so I applied for the €350 and got it no problem.

Today I got an email about an invoice I've been chasing,for work I done last January, saying the invoice would be paid in the next couple of days.

My question is now where do I stand with the €350 benefit? I'm obviously not supposed to be earning an income right now. I truthfully haven't worked since start of March and haven't earned anything since I applied for the benefit.
    This invoice is due since last January so it's not something I've earned since I applied for the benefit. It's a couple of grand of an invoice also.
    Truth be told I thought there was no chance of the invoice ever being paid so was shocked to get email today.

Should I stop the benefit for a few weeks because of this payment? I'm afraid it will be picked up come tax return time in November.

The payment of the invoice is for work done prior to the pandemic and introduction of the PUP, ensure your accountant records for this work as being in January with late payment.

Either way the PUP is for anyone who is out of work due to the pandemic, and this is the scenario you're in so there is no reason for you to cease your claim as you are still out of work and unable to earn an income.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Great thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

Casey78 wrote: »

The system was hastily designed with the majority of recipients being employees who are in a black and white situation, the minute they become unemployed they stop being paid. As you mentioned, freelancer income is chaotic to say the least and I am often paid up to six months late so I’d imagine the government will allow some leeway for freelancers unless they are clearly taking the piss and still earning a full weeks wages while claiming the €350.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

rgossip30 wrote: »
    The old welfare.ie website never stated that the payment transfer was the same as the home country . They would likely qualify as they are in quarantine the payment is transferred then is the home country paying the welfare .The contract was most likely was made signed etc before the lockdown and it depends on the content . You seem very sure of this do you work in welfare ? This can be down to a deciding officer to make the decision as they say you never know until you try .A covid-19 payment of 350 euro to illegal workers was unheard of 2 weeks ago .The FB page only stated they were looking for welfare NOT getting welfare remember .
    Kellings have stated they will pay the workers in full but have refused to say the rate of pay . This is a problem for Kellings not social welfare .

Sorry but none of this post makes any sense.
    Your spelling, punctuation and grammar together with your obvious blind faith in something you’ve read on Facebook is very off-putting I’m afraid.
    You seem to be spending hours trying to create a scenario wherein people who arrived here from abroad last weekend are going to get a SW payment so that you can make it fit into your agenda which is basically racist xenophobic nonsense.
    I’ve told you that they won’t be eligible for SW and I’ve told you why. But hey, don’t let that stop you from deliberately inventing a scenario where they could.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ricardo111

Hi all, hope ppl keeping safe and sane.
    My issue isni changed Job in March thereby my employer cant get assistance from government as I started after the 29th of Febuary. But I can get the payment of 350 euro. I have been off for a week and have been recieving the 350 payment , I recieved on Tuesday I got no message it's just arrived after filled in forms. So, my employer had stated they would like me to return so what's my position . Can the gov. Subsidy scheme contribute to my employer??? Instarted this job on the 9th of March worked for one month and was let go due to covid 19 payment not being offered to my employer. Any one any advice recommendation?? I want to work, employer needs the govs help.

Thanks.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

I'm hearing that they're planning to reduce the Covid19 €350 payment back to normal JobSeeker rates? I only half-heard the discussion this morning on the radio. Waiting for them to podcast the show (Michael Reade show on LMFM).

Google isn't telling me too much, though. Anyone heard anything along those lines?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭kerryjack

I'm hearing that they're planning to reduce the Covid19 €350 payment back to normal JobSeeker rates? I only half-heard the discussion this morning on the radio. Waiting for them to podcast the show (Michael Reade show on LMFM).

Google isn't telling me too much, though. Anyone heard anything along those lines?

After the 12 weeks if you're not back to work it's going to be tapered down is my under standing of it

kerryjack wrote: »
    After the 12 weeks if you're not back to work it's going to be tapered down is my under standing of it

Ah okay. Seems reasonable. Assuming restrictions are lifted before then, that seems reasonable. (hopefully they'll let us keep the payment for a week or two afterwards as a buffer period of sorts).

From the small bit I heard of it, i thought they were gonna start tapering it down from before the 12 weeks, which would annoy me (unless, as stated above, they have lifted the restrictions, etc).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

When did the first payment of the 12 weeks happen? Wife started getting the payment 3 weeks ago as we weren't sure if she was eligble, so just trying to find out if we can claim it for previous weeks, and how many more payments there are still to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Kiith wrote: »
    When did the first payment of the 12 weeks happen? Wife started getting the payment 3 weeks ago as we weren't sure if she was eligble, so just trying to find out if we can claim it for previous weeks, and how many more payments there are still to come.

Wondering this too. Listening to the radio it sounds like they will change everybody's in June regardless of when they got it rather then basing it on 12 weeks from when they start. Suppose that's where backpay might come in to play but no confirmation on that

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

Yeah that's what Paschal Donohue is reported as saying in today's Irish Times. They haven't announced anything more specific like the amount it will be tapered down to.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Whats the rules around Furloughing here?

Any minimum number of weeks?
    Does your employer have to avail of the Gov scheme where the Gov pays you up to €410 a week, which is capped there, and based off 70% of your weekly net pay?
    Do you have the right to take paid vacation instead?
    Does this qualify you to ask for a 3 month mortgage break?
    Anything else you might think of that's relevant?

• Advertisement

Wondering this too. Listening to the radio it sounds like they will change everybody's in June regardless of when they got it rather then basing it on 12 weeks from when they start. Suppose that's where backpay might come in to play but no confirmation on that
    Yeah that's what Paschal Donohue is reported as saying in today's Irish Times. They haven't announced anything more specific like the amount it will be tapered down to.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0422/1133037-esri-on-bleak-economic-forecasts/
    - includes voice recording of interview with Paschal Donohue

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

My son got furloughed this week. He is renting and has a yougn family. He was on around 45k I believe and his wife stays at home to look after the kids. Am I right in saying he will only receive 350 a week going forward? Seems very unfair to me as he could barely afford rent, bills, food while working and now his net pay will be cut by more than half. Not sure how he is supposed to manage..

donfers wrote: »
    My son got furloughed this week. He is renting and has a yougn family. He was on around 45k I believe and his wife stays at home to look after the kids. Am I right in saying he will only receive 350 a week going forward? Seems very unfair to me as he could barely afford rent, bills, food while working and now his net pay will be cut by more than half. Not sure how he is supposed to manage..

His entitlement to JSB is €458 unless his wife has more then €20000 in savings in her name.
    If any of the kids are over 12 it will be €4 extra per child.
    He can apply for help with the rent by getting himself on the housing list and applying for HAP and in the meantime he can apply for and will be awarded rent supplement. Sitting at home wringing his hands is not going to help. He needs to get his JSB application in now. This has been widely advertised for around 3 weeks now.

splinter65 wrote: »
    His entitlement to JSB is €458 unless his wife has more then €20000 in savings in her name.
    If any of the kids are over 12 it will be €4 extra per child.
    He can apply for help with the rent by getting himself on the housing list and applying for HAP and in the meantime he can apply for and will be awarded rent supplement. Sitting at home wringing his hands is not going to help. He needs to get his JSB application in now. This has been widely advertised for around 3 weeks now.

He is furloughed though, I am not sure if he can apply for JSB, the job may be available again in the coming months

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Just a general question. If the Covid payment of €350 is due to revert in 6 or 8 weeks back to the dole payment of €203, is there any news on what is going to happen to those people who are still at work but the govt is paying the 70% supplement to keep the employee in work?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Inquitus wrote: »
    Whats the rules around Furloughing here?

Any minimum number of weeks?
    Does your employer have to avail of the Gov scheme where the Gov pays you up to €410 a week, which is capped there, and based off 70% of your weekly net pay?
    Do you have the right to take paid vacation instead?
    Does this qualify you to ask for a 3 month mortgage break?
    Anything else you might think of that's relevant?

No one able to answer these questions, please?

good questions...if anyone has info I would like to hear from you too. I have tried emailing TDs and welfare but no response as of yet

The place to go is your MyAccount on Revenue.ie and ask through the MyEnquiries facility.

donfers wrote: »
    good questions...if anyone has info I would like to hear from you too. I have tried emailing TDs and welfare but no response as of yet

Your TD can’t help you and it’s not a matter for SW they know nothing about it. It’s Revenue. Log in to your MyAccount and make a query there.

• Advertisement

johnmc2020 wrote: »
    Interesting! This could mean a big delay for backpayments so. Will see if I can find out more and report back!

Hi - just checking in to see if you got any further information on back payment as I know the topic came up again since in the thread - TIA :)

Advertisement