Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government Benefits Megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 sunnyost

rahmalec wrote: »
    I was in a similar (but probably worse) position. I had 6 paye employments and self employment. All gone bar one employment of 3 hours a week (and down more than 90% of income). I claimed, put down still working part time, got accepted. Got kicked off 2 months later. No sign of having to pay anything back yet.

This is a big issue that’s affecting everyone with portfolio careers, and will be damaging to getting my industry back up and running. People will be asked to do the odd job here and there and won’t be able to without risking getting cut off. Much better would be to have some sort of self assessment in combination with automated checks from revenue and a proportional reduction in welfare as opposed to complete cutoff when that first 50 euro comes in.

Thankfully I’ve had a few bits and pieces trickling in and am earning roughly 300 a week, but there are many in my field that wouldn’t have this and would be in serious trouble.

Really sorry to hear about this. Did they Email to give a reason they took you off it? Could you reapply? I agree it should be more thoroughly assessed to avoid the grey area I’m in. I don’t know of anyone personally in my particular situation which I thought was strange

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭rahmalec

sunnyost wrote: »
    Really sorry to hear about this. Did they Email to give a reason they took you off it? Could you reapply? I agree it should be more thoroughly assessed to avoid the grey area I’m in. I don’t know of anyone personally in my particular situation which I thought was strange

I had an inquiry email. They cross check with revenue since they have real-time info on people’s payments (which is why a phased system based on people’s payments is perfectly feasible).

I had an inquiry email. They cross check with revenue since they have real-time info on people’s payments (which is why a phased system based on people’s payments is perfectly feasible).

I’m a bit worried I haven’t gotten one myself as we’re in pretty much the same situation. Hopefully it works itself out :/

• Registered Users Posts: 36,079 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

employed '' having a paid job''

WHat if someone is working, but not getting paid. I know of a few people in family business continuing to play their part in the business, but through wanting to help out, but not getting paid, but are getting PUP, laid off, but helping family business through this crazy time.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Disgraceful and sorry to hear about your dilemma, did you initially claim as self employed or employed?

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭rahmalec

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Disgraceful and sorry to hear about your dilemma, did you initially claim as self employed or employed?

Claimed as “other” and described situation

Claimed as “other” and described situation

I'd forgotten there was an other option. Are you able to claim anything, very harsh treatment and I've seen in other threads, self employed claimants arbitrarily having their payment reduced to €203, the excuse being given, pending more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Yeah this 203 thing is very strange. My mum worked two part time jobs, both ceases due to covid and was earning well over 200 from both. Could only put down one employer on both the original and eligibility form but was dropped from 350 to 203. You would think they could see she was getting over 200 from both her jobs based on her payslips on revenue. Emailed that pup email but like the others, nothing heard back.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

Thanks for getting back to me :) Yes I still had one part time job as I was made unemployed by the other. I couldn’t afford to live off the one income. I declared on the form that I was still working part time as I figured if this disqualified me they would refuse the payment.

I couldn’t find anything online about having two jobs and the PUP just the WSS. If I have to pay them back I’m not really sure how I’d go about it. Will they wait a few months and reach out to me or how does it go? Should I call them and ask?

Just to add I’m freaking out that I could have claimed something I wasn’t entitled to and intend to pay it all back if it is the case I wasn’t. Would the DEASP mind if I did it in instalments? Also, will this affect me in the future?

If you were a student and working one job: You would have been entitled PUP if you lost that job.

However if you had two jobs and lost one - you were not fully unemployed so you were not entitled to the PUP payment. This should have triggered a revenue overlap to prevent payment.

- - -

On the other hand, you may have been entitled to the short time work support on the days you didn't work (especially if your job one and job two were on different days).

I would advise you to contact your local Intreo Centre and explain the situation. If they say you need to repay the money, ask them can you apply for Short Time Work Support retrospectively (this is sometimes called a late claim).

You wont get any money but it would at least reduce the amount you owe back to them. Or if your entitled to that going forward they may reduce future payments to correct the overpayment amount.

I was in a similar (but probably worse) position. I had 6 paye employments and self employment. All gone bar one employment of 3 hours a week (and down more than 90% of income). I claimed, put down still working part time, got accepted. Got kicked off 2 months later. No sign of having to pay anything back yet.

This is a big issue that’s affecting everyone with portfolio careers, and will be damaging to getting my industry back up and running. People will be asked to do the odd job here and there and won’t be able to without risking getting cut off. Much better would be to have some sort of self assessment in combination with automated checks from revenue and a proportional reduction in welfare as opposed to complete cutoff when that first 50 euro comes in.

Thankfully I’ve had a few bits and pieces trickling in and am earning roughly 300 a week, but there are many in my field that wouldn’t have this and would be in serious trouble.

You may be entitled to the Short Time Work Support / Causal Jobseeker depending on your situation and means.

You should contact your local Intreo Centre.

• Advertisement

Yeah this 203 thing is very strange. My mum worked two part time jobs, both ceases due to covid and was earning well over 200 from both. Could only put down one employer on both the original and eligibility form but was dropped from 350 to 203. You would think they could see she was getting over 200 from both her jobs based on her payslips on revenue. Emailed that pup email but like the others, nothing heard back.

This looks like a slip through the cracks case. Tell her to call the Income Support Helpline, explain the situation and ask to have her case "Escalated to a manager".

If you were a student and working one job: You would have been entitled PUP if you lost that job.

However if you had two jobs and lost one - you were not fully unemployed so you were not entitled to the PUP payment. This should have triggered a revenue overlap to prevent payment.

- - -

On the other hand, you may have been entitled to the short time work support on the days you didn't work (especially if your job one and job two were on different days).

I would advise you to contact your local Intreo Centre and explain the situation. If they say you need to repay the money, ask them can you apply for Short Time Work Support retrospectively (this is sometimes called a late claim).

You wont get any money but it would at least reduce the amount you owe back to them. Or if your entitled to that going forward they may reduce future payments to correct the overpayment amount.

Thanks for the advice. I had a look over the form I filled out when I signed up originally and the payment was available for all employees who had lost employment. I figured since I lost a job this would count. Is there any reason they’d give me the payment even though I declared I was working PT still? This was back in March.

I’m going to call on Monday and see what the story is because I’m actually worried about it. If I enquire, would it be treated as a fraud case? I really hope not :(

• Registered Users Posts: 44 rajqo

pure hypothetically... what is the reason they need people to reconfirm their eligibility for covid payment? are they expecting that many won't reconfirm and they save some money? :)

also this government is so much against international travel - are they going to keep paying airport staff beyond august 10th?

rajqo wrote: »
    pure hypothetically... what is the reason they need people to reconfirm their eligibility for covid payment? are they expecting that many won't reconfirm and they save some money? :)

also this government is so much against international travel - are they going to keep paying airport staff beyond august 10th?

My gut feeling is it was a head count exercise to gauge how many returning to work sooner or perhaps later in order to formulate a policy going forward, albeit not sure why they bothered as they seem hell bent on ending it whilst closing or reducing payments peace meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

I'm a bit confused where I stand on re-confirming covid payment.

I'm a student who worked and studied in Limerick until the pandemic. I moved back to Dublin (home) for the lockdown. I had planned on returning to Limerick once things calmed. My employer (in Limerick) re-opened the business last week but as a part of my degree I'm completing placement in a hospital near Dublin, while my course is also now going to be online for the most part. It made no sense for me to return to Limerick in these circumstances, so I told him that it wouldn't be possible to return to the job currently but possibly later in the year when I can return to Limerick I'll speak to him about employment. In the mean time I'm looking for part time/short term work in Dublin with a previous employer.

Am I still eligible for payment in this circumstance or should it be closed? I've currently filled the form as 'yes' to 'have you spoken to employer about RTW' and 'about 3 months' to the Q about when I'll return, but tbh I can't give a clear answer to that timeline.

I'm a bit confused where I stand on re-confirming covid payment.

I'm a student who worked and studied in Limerick until the pandemic. I moved back to Dublin (home) for the lockdown. I had planned on returning to Limerick once things calmed. My employer (in Limerick) re-opened the business last week but as a part of my degree I'm completing placement in a hospital near Dublin, while my course is also now going to be online for the most part. It made no sense for me to return to Limerick in these circumstances, so I told him that it wouldn't be possible to return to the job currently but possibly later in the year when I can return to Limerick I'll speak to him about employment. In the mean time I'm looking for part time/short term work in Dublin with a previous employer.

Am I still eligible for payment in this circumstance or should it be closed? I've currently filled the form as 'yes' to 'have you spoken to employer about RTW' and 'about 3 months' to the Q about when I'll return, but tbh I can't give a clear answer to that timeline.

It's a tricky scenario with so many unsure of entitlement. Assuming you still have a position to return to, then I would say yes continue but only if your employer has not let you go, in other words you remain on their books.

The grey area is if you have been permanently let go, there's varying opinions on this but I believe if retained albeit laid off temporarily you entitled. The caveat is NOT BEING AVAILABLE for work or refusing to return. Your circumstances would I believe permit leeway.

Re likely return to work, within a month will suffice. I'm assuming your partime, has your payment been reduced or had you earned enough to retain the €350.

The payment is due to end /reviewed in 4 weeks, the eligibility questions are just an exercise to assertain how many are likely to return to work, sooner or later, also you've spoken to employer so confirm this in the questionnaire

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Lollipop95 wrote: »
    So after the 10th, do those on the Covid €350 payment apply for the original JSA?
    I'm on the PUP and got the standard JSB form in the post about a month ago randomly. The department said at the start that if you are on the PUP and think the job is gone for good apply for jobseekers straight away so that there is no gap in waiting time from when the PUP ends and people have to on JSB/JSA.

I'm on the PUP and got the standard JSB form in the post about a month ago randomly. The department said at the start that if you are on the PUP and think the job is gone for good apply for jobseekers straight away so that there is no gap in waiting time from when the PUP ends and people have to on JSB/JSA.

This news, I wasn't aware the department were doing this? You say a month ago? Very odd as they were only seeking eligibility confirmation over the past 3 weeks. Strange to be honest.

In response to the specific question, this has yet to be determined, it does look like pup will end and its only a guess but I presume if it does, JSB/JSA applications will be the next step. I'd hold off making any application yet, perhaps contact local intreo centre to ask do you need to make an application now. Are you expecting to return to work? I am in August so wouldn't be applying for JSA at this point

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

It's a tricky scenario with so many unsure of entitlement. Assuming you still have a position to return to, then I would say yes continue but only if your employer has not let you go, in other words you remain on their books.

The grey area is if you have been permanently let go, there's varying opinions on this but I believe if retained albeit laid off temporarily you entitled. The caveat is NOT BEING AVAILABLE for work or refusing to return. Your circumstances would I believe permit leeway.

Re likely return to work, within a month will suffice. I'm assuming your partime, has your payment been reduced or had you earned enough to retain the €350.

The payment is due to end /reviewed in 4 weeks, the eligibility questions are just an exercise to assertain how many are likely to return to work, sooner or later, also you've spoken to employer so confirm this in the questionnaire

Thanks for the response dempo.

I am pretty certain that I'm no longer on their books, so I think I'd fall into permanently let go.

My payment has been reduced to 203.

So your opinion would be to continue and say that I may return within a month? My fear would be that they could argue that, however awkward it would be for me to return to the job in Limerick, technically it's still a job that re-commenced. I wish I could illustrate this in the form but the answers are just ticking boxes.

Thanks for the response dempo.

I am pretty certain that I'm no longer on their books, so I think I'd fall into permanently let go.

My payment has been reduced to 203.

So your opinion would be to continue and say that I may return within a month? My fear would be that they could argue that, however awkward it would be for me to return to the job in Limerick, technically it's still a job that re-commenced. I wish I could illustrate this in the form but the answers are just ticking boxes.

Bottom line, answer questionnaire as truthfully as possible, no one can predict what's going to happen in a month.

Staus of previous employment = Employed
    Details of your recent Employer = Current/last employer

Have you been in touch with employer = Yes or No whatever is applicable

Expected time of return = Unsure

I'd personally continue, particularly as your rate has dropped and your unsure of staus of your job, location, circumstances not relevant at the moment.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice. I had a look over the form I filled out when I signed up originally and the payment was available for all employees who had lost employment. I figured since I lost a job this would count. Is there any reason they’d give me the payment even though I declared I was working PT still? This was back in March.

I’m going to call on Monday and see what the story is because I’m actually worried about it. If I enquire, would it be treated as a fraud case? I really hope not :(

In the early days the department was buried in paper work and in an effort to get people into payment they rushed through application form however all application form will be reviewed again over time. As your also a student its a most complex case.

You dont need to be worried about fraud. Just be straight about the situation and engage with the department. If you applied because of a significant loss of earning be clear about that when your explaining the situation.

If they say your not eliglible for PUP, ask about the Short Time Work Support, and also the Supplementary Welfare Allowance.

This news, I wasn't aware the department were doing this? You say a month ago? Very odd as they were only seeking eligibility confirmation over the past 3 weeks. Strange to be honest.

In response to the specific question, this has yet to be determined, it does look like pup will end and its only a guess but I presume if it does, JSB/JSA applications will be the next step. I'd hold off making any application yet, perhaps contact local intreo centre to ask do you need to make an application now. Are you expecting to return to work? I am in August so wouldn't be applying for JSA at this point

I know a few people on the PUP who got the form in the post. I filled it in and sent it back to my local Intreo office. The lady said to me get it in so you'll move straight from PUP to JSB when the PUP ends. I'd advise you to do the application straight away if you think your job might be gone for good.

I know a few people on the PUP who got the form in the post. I filled it in and sent it back to my local Intreo office. The lady said to me get it in so you'll move straight from PUP to JSB when the PUP ends. I'd advise you to do the application straight away if you think your job might be gone for good.

This is bizzare, whilst I'm not doubting the PUP may end, there's been no final decision on this or maybe I'm mistaken. If the department is sending out this JSA/JSB applications its suggest a decision has been made. I wondered what type of claimant is getting these forms?

Part timers?
    Employees of Businesses fully closed?
    People who filled in eligibility and stated theyve not been in touch with employer or not set dat of return?

Also, if anyone has received these application forms, were they received after eligibility confirmation was completed.

This is bizzare, whilst I'm not doubting the PUP may end, there's been no final decision on this or maybe I'm mistaken. If the department is sending out this JSA/JSB applications its suggest a decision has been made. I wondered what type of claimant is getting these forms?

Part timers?
    Employees of Businesses fully closed?
    People who filled in eligibility and stated theyve not been in touch with employer or not set dat of return?

Also, if anyone has received these application forms, were they received after eligibility confirmation was completed.
    No. These forms were sent well before the eligibility forms. Bear in mind too that we have a new government since these forms were sent. As I said above the reasons for these forms being sent were so that when PUP ends (whenever that is) you go straight onto JSB/A instead of the usual 3 or 4 weeks waiting for the application to be processed. When PUP ends I'll go straight onto JSB because my application has already been processed and approved.

No. These forms were sent well before the eligibility forms. Bear in mind too that we have a new government since these forms were sent. As I said above the reasons for these forms being sent were so that when PUP ends (whenever that is) you go straight onto JSB/A instead of the usual 3 or 4 weeks waiting for the application to be processed. When PUP ends I'll go straight onto JSB because my application has already been processed and approved.

I'm curious, the new government has yet to form or announce a policy on this. I can't fathom how the department coukd arbitrarily just send out forms to a select few.

Has anyone else received these application forms for jsa.

Can I ask, we're you part time, student, full time? Self employed ( just wondering are they targeting specific sector)

If you consider, say full time employees who have claimed the PUP and are awaiting a return date (I'm August) although I've not given a specific date of return, or literally 10's of thousands say in tourism, travel, airports, non food pubs, etc that are not on TWSS are they being encouraged to apply for JSA? without a definitive announcement seems extraordinary.

As you stated, you received applications from way before eligibility confirmation, just seems very odd

I'm curious, the new government has yet to form or announce a policy on this. I can't fathom how the department coukd arbitrarily just send out forms to a select few.

Has anyone else received these application forms for jsa.

Can I ask, we're you part time, student, full time? Self employed ( just wondering are they targeting specific sector)

If you consider, say full time employees who have claimed the PUP and are awaiting a return date (I'm August) although I've not given a specific date of return, or literally 10's of thousands say in tourism, travel, airports, non food pubs, etc that are not on TWSS are they being encouraged to apply for JSA? without a definitive announcement seems extraordinary.

As you stated, you received applications from way before eligibility confirmation, just seems very odd
    I was a full time worker in my 40s running a pub that is very unlikely to reopen as the owner was looking at retirement anyway before virus so I'm basically unemployed. I don't know why they sent me those forms to be honest. I just filled them out and sent it in.

I was a full time worker in my 40s running a pub that is very unlikely to reopen as the owner was looking at retirement anyway before virus so I'm basically unemployed. I don't know why they sent me those forms to be honest. I just filled them out and sent it in.

Sorry to hear this, I spent over 30 years in the hotel, catering and pub trade as a chef and management (but I'm OK now :), gave it up about 8 years ago. I'm just really surprised about these jjsb applications being sent out, I'd understand if it was nearer the 10th August or a definitive announcement was made, I know there's a July jobs stimulus announcement late next week or following week, I'm thinking the decision on PUP will be announced then.

Just a final note, you mentioned you've been approved for JSB and yet still being paid PUP, this in itself is extraordinary, this is not normally how benefits are processed.

But eitherway, I wish you well, will be inter if anyone else has experienced this scenario

Sorry to hear this, I spent over 30 years in the hotel, catering and pub trade as a chef and management (but I'm OK now :), gave it up about 8 years ago. I'm just really surprised about these jjsb applications being sent out, I'd understand if it was nearer the 10th August or a definitive announcement was made, I know there's a July jobs stimulus announcement late next week or following week, I'm thinking the decision on PUP will be announced then.

Just a final note, you mentioned you've been approved for JSB and yet still being paid PUP, this in itself is extraordinary, this is not normally how benefits are processed.

But eitherway, I wish you well, will be inter if anyone else has experienced this scenario
    I qualify for PUP due to me losing my job. It's up the to the government to decide when the PUP ends and I'm happy with that when they do.I'll take the 203 a week if and when that decion is made.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 rajqo

Leo Varadkar said for RTE news business, that they are looking at job stimulus package just announced in UK and they want to make it similar here as well, adjusted to the population of Ireland.

He also said that wage subsidy will not finish in august and that it might be on until october (as in UK). He also stated that Pandemic Unemployment Payment will continue beyond august as well. Details might be announced probably some time next week or week after next week.

He also stated that Ireland will borrow from markets this year additional 25 to 30 billion euro.

• Advertisement

Im sure this happened in advance of the first deadline June 12th. People were advised to apply for the JA/JB, particularly if their job was permanently gone, in advance of the end dates as when PUP ends their payment will be stopped.

Advertisement