Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government Benefits Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Im sure this happened in advance of the first deadline June 12th. People were advised to apply for the JA/JB, particularly if their job was permanently gone, in advance of the end dates as when PUP ends their payment will be stopped.

Thanks Mike Foxtrot, yes I think your right, it made no sense as no decision made on pup ending albeit its looking that way, thanks :)

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,079 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

''Employment is an arrangement in which a person works for another person (or company) in exchange for money. ... Work is the action of performing a task that is needed to be done.''

Why is in on these form people have to fill out is it labeled '' when did you work last'' . I vacuumed the house today, that was work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

rajqo wrote: »
    Leo Varadkar said for RTE news business, that they are looking at job stimulus package just announced in UK and they want to make it similar here as well, adjusted to the population of Ireland.

He also said that wage subsidy will not finish in august and that it might be on until october (as in UK). He also stated that Pandemic Unemployment Payment will continue beyond august as well. Details might be announced probably some time next week or week after next week.

He also stated that Ireland will borrow from markets this year additional 25 to 30 billion euro.

It's bull**** if the PUP continues on. I applied for a job, will be getting more than jobseeker's, but less than the PUP. Why did I even bother applying if I'm better off sitting on my ass?

''Employment is an arrangement in which a person works for another person (or company) in exchange for money. ... Work is the action of performing a task that is needed to be done.''

Why is in on these form people have to fill out is it labeled '' when did you work last'' . I vacuumed the house today, that was work.

Very philosophical but it is what it is

It's bull**** if the PUP continues on. I applied for a job, will be getting more than jobseeker's, but less than the PUP. Why did I even bother applying if I'm better off sitting on my ass?

I'm afraid that interview was quite some time ago, PUP is not the new governments preference, it may continue but likely to end very soon, if and it's a big if it is extended, at best a new lower rate is likely but at the moment only guess work I'm afraid

• Advertisement

Dempo1 wrote: »
    I'm afraid that interview was quite some time ago, PUP is not the new governments preference, it may continue but likely to end very soon, if and it's a big if it is extended, at best a new lower rate is likely but at the moment only guess work I'm afraid

I already know somebody who turned down the job I applied for because they get more on the PUP. But I'm looking at things long term, and I will be getting paid more than jobseeker's. I'm just so mad if this whole attitude is encouraged.

I already know somebody who turned down the job I applied for because they get more on the PUP. But I'm looking at things long term, and I will be getting paid more than jobseeker's. I'm just so mad if this whole attitude is encouraged.

PUP is a support payment for those genuinely affected by this awful crisis both employees and the self employed. It's quite disgraceful for anyone to see it as an excuse to turn down gainful employment. The rate was and to be objective, very fair albeit I know there's many who despite the rate have seen a drastic fall in income, yes some part time staff gained but any rushed solution to an immediate crisis will have problems. There is very little doubt the payment at best will be tappered at worse ended, I just hope there will be actual jobs or opportunities when this happens and of cousr a reasonable benifit to replace PUP, if it ends.

Anyone not taking a job opportunity because they think PUP is a better option is somewhat confused

• Registered Users Posts: 44 rajqo

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/tanaiste-leo-varadkar-says-wage-18580842?fbclid=IwAR0PAbFcSe-uE6WlIXlUv7OkgeBKYxGoEVTYOFFRkOD1xgYZIUf_9ZBHpDk

article published yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

PUP is a support payment for those genuinely affected by this awful crisis both employees and the self employed. It's quite disgraceful for anyone to see it as an excuse to turn down gainful employment. The rate was and to be objective, very fair albeit I know there's many who despite the rate have seen a drastic fall in income, yes some part time staff gained but any rushed solution to an immediate crisis will have problems. There is very little doubt the payment at best will be tappered at worse ended, I just hope there will be actual jobs or opportunities when this happens and of cousr a reasonable benifit to replace PUP, if it ends.

Anyone not taking a job opportunity because they think PUP is a better option is somewhat confused

I wouldn't say the rate was fair to be honest.

Most people that lose employment have a drastic fall in income and are expected to live on 203 (350 if married / co-habaitating)

People on PUP got a soft landing with 350 (700 if married / co-habaitating and if both entitled to PUP).

But I would agree, anyone that would turn down a job opportunity will get an shock when it ends as some people on PUP won't be eligible for the max rate JA/JB and there is no current plans for a transition payment or period.

• Advertisement

So am I better off not accepting a job?

Parts of this Article copied and pasted by Dublin Live, it originally appeared over 4 weeks ago, in fact Leo still Taoiseach when he last suggested a possible extension of PUP, indeed since new government formed barely a mention of PUP, it's as if governments TD's being told to say nothing about it.

Dublin Live also picked Leo's appearance on RTE RADIO 1, the business to justify their claim regarding a PUP extension, I've listen to entire podcast, link below and not a mention of PUP extension, all Leo mentioned was its generosity when comparing it to the UKS similar payment, a kind of apples and oranges mantra.

https://www.rte.ie/radio/utils/share/radio1/21801403

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭kerryjack

It's a tricky scenario with so many unsure of entitlement. Assuming you still have a position to return to, then I would say yes continue but only if your employer has not let you go, in other words you remain on their books.

The grey area is if you have been permanently let go, there's varying opinions on this but I believe if retained albeit laid off temporarily you entitled. The caveat is NOT BEING AVAILABLE for work or refusing to return. Your circumstances would I believe permit leeway.

Re likely return to work, within a month will suffice. I'm assuming your partime, has your payment been reduced or had you earned enough to retain the €350.

The payment is due to end /reviewed in 4 weeks, the eligibility questions are just an exercise to assertain how many are likely to return to work, sooner or later, also you've spoken to employer so confirm this in the questionnaire

Are you saying that anyone that has been left go and off the books are not entitled to PUP going forward. I filled out eligibility form online and there was no box, is your job gone. I ticked box not sure. I was fully paid up in last few weeks got holiday pay and even paid for BH while on PUP and was told if things pick up I would brought back in.

kerryjack wrote: »
    Are you saying that anyone that has been left go and off the books are not entitled to PUP going forward. I filled out eligibility form online and there was no box, is your job gone. I ticked box not sure. I was fully paid up in last few weeks got holiday pay and even paid for BH while on PUP and was told if things pick up I would brought back in.

Morning, essentially what I'm saying is if you have been fully let go, you are encouraged to put a claim in for JSA /JSB, because there is such lack of clarity on this issue my humble advice is if you are unsure contact them. It is clear from your post, not only have you finished but even received owing holiday pay.

The PUP was a rushed benifit, aimed at those who lost their jobs, were laid off temporarily or were self employed because of the pandemic. But the grey area is that on the mywelfre portal, if you have lost your job fully, you are encouraged to apply for JSA /JSB, my concern for anyone unsure is two particular questions when confirming eligibility

A. Have you been in touch with your employer
    B. Expected time of return.

Clearly these questions are targeted towards those still employed albeit laid off.

Obviously iits different for those self employed who've had their own challenges.

Finally, let's assume you lost your job in normal circumstances, what would you do? Apply for JSA /JSB.

Its not a question of dishonesty, fraud etc, I'm just advising if there is any doubt about your employment status, be careful and contact SW, let them advise you.

Final additional point. With more time on their hands, I've no doubt checks will be made on employment status for those who confirmed eligibility

I sent my JB application at the same time as applying for the PUP. And they wouldn't process my JB application and awarded me the PUP and told me to apply for JB closer to when PUP ends.

I sent my JB application at the same time as applying for the PUP. And they wouldn't process my JB application and awarded me the PUP and told me to apply for JB closer to when PUP ends.

Yes at the beginning this what happened, primarily because such was the volume of people claiming, they focused on PUP, they didn't want anyone near intero offices, most of which were closed. JSA /JSB Applications also require on on one interview along with paperwork (unless that too has changed over the years)

Yes at the beginning this what happened, primarily because such was the volume of people claiming, they focused on PUP, they didn't want anyone near intero offices, most of which were closed. JSA /JSB Applications also require on on one interview along with paperwork (unless that too has changed over the years)

This was only two weeks ago though.

O, that's curious, I still think because of volumes they are leaning toward awarding pup instead of JSB. Interesting all the same with an end insight

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

It is a grey area, especially because of the eligibility form, but to me it does seem that if you have been fully let go or lost your job then you can apply for covid PUP. The gov.ie site does say

"have lost your job due to the COVID-19 pandemic or
    have been temporarily laid off due to the COVID-19 pandemic "

Now we have said this before but I just think it's down to interpretation. Personally I read that as if your job is gone due to covid or you have been temporarily let go, aka one you have no job to go back to and the other you will eventually as it clearly says both temporarily and let go. Citizensinformation site backs this up too. Dempo reads the fully unemployed as a temporarily lay off aswell but definitely ring them.

I'm in the same boat, job is permantly gone but can't apply for JSB as a student, was told my employer if there is work they can take me back maybe but otherwise no job. So I just put "unsure" on the form.

Quick question if I may, we're you just laid off temporarily or fully, I know applications for PUP are still open. Did you actually apply for JSB /Jsa or PUP

It is a grey area, especially because of the eligibility form, but to me it does seem that if you have been fully let go or lost your job then you can apply for covid PUP. The gov.ie site does say

"have lost your job due to the COVID-19 pandemic or
    have been temporarily laid off due to the COVID-19 pandemic "

Now we have said this before but I just think it's down to interpretation. Personally I read that as if your job is gone due to covid or you have been temporarily let go, aka one you have no job to go back to and the other you will eventually as it clearly says both temporarily and let go. Citizensinformation site backs this up too. Dempo reads the fully unemployed as a temporarily lay off aswell but definitely ring them.

I'm in the same boat, job is permantly gone but can't apply for JSB as a student, was told my employer if there is work they can take me back maybe but otherwise no job. So I just put "unsure" on the form.

Yes agreed it's open to interpretation and for Students a life line given the reasons you give re JSB /Jsa entitlement, this of course raises another issue and I hope they've considered this, if PUP ends what then for those who can't claim JSA, I just hope some alternative is being considered

• Advertisement

Quick question if I may, we're you just laid off temporarily or fully, I know applications for PUP are still open. Did you actually apply for JSB /Jsa or PUP

I was laid off permanently. I applied for the PUP online and a few days later while still waiting to hear back about the PUP, I applied for JB because I have to do that anyways at some point.

Then was told that they wouldn't process my JB application and apply when the covid PUP ends or before it ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭tscul32

I'm back to work next week earning less than I've been getting with the PUP. But I'm delighted to be getting back, missed working. And I wouldn't qualify for jsb/jsa as I'm not looking for full time work, I work around kids in school.

I was laid off permanently. I applied for the PUP online and a few days later while still waiting to hear back about the PUP, I applied for JB because I have to do that anyways at some point.

Then was told that they wouldn't process my JB application and apply when the covid PUP ends or before it ends.

Sorry to hear this, at least you got sorted, it's extraordinary how this whole thing being managed

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭64869923

I would say they are deterring people because they're terrified of the number that would appear on the Live Register. This would crystalise an already awful situation, spending in the economy would fall off a cliff, compounding the crisis and devastating the macro-economy.

For further optimistic views on life you can listen to my vlog on...

64869923 wrote: »
    I would say they are deterring people because they're terrified of the number that would appear on the Live Register. This would crystalise an already awful situation, spending in the economy would fall off a cliff, compounding the crisis and devastating the macro-economy.

For further optimistic views on life you can listen to my vlog on...

Was in Dublin City centre early evening on Saturday, there's no way Pubs or restaurants are going to survive this, all that was missing was tumbleweed. I was glad there wasn't the mayhem of the previous sat on Dame Street but this is not sustainable and I can see alot more loosing jobs in this sector very soon, its a tragic sight

Did anyone happen to get a text saying that said "€203 PUP rate paid to people from 7 July if their previous earnings per Revenue were less than €200pw. Further information 'long web address'. If incorrect contact pup'at'TheirWebsite or this telephone number"? I should be on the €350 rate but go this today, am curious to see what's in the bank tomorrow!

Just to add a bit to the above. I'm self-employed and posted my taxes in 2018, late, but posted and paid, and I was cut to €203. For an FYI, I was onto the DEASP about the PUP rerate and had to email my F11. I was just on to them again and was told that payments won't be reinstated this week, the optimistic view is next week, but at the same time it could be another 2 or 3 weeks. Also the person on the phone didn't know how the DEASP were going to settle the deducted portion of the payment, they haven't been told that yet. That's it so far.

Was in Dublin City centre early evening on Saturday, there's no way Pubs or restaurants are going to survive this, all that was missing was tumbleweed. I was glad there wasn't the mayhem of the previous sat on Dame Street but this is not sustainable and I can see alot more loosing jobs in this sector very soon, its a tragic sight

Yep! I was in Liffey Valley last Saturday to get a burrito, twas delicious by the way, first bit of non-homemade food in 4 months, based on the queue in the food court that day against pre-Covid a whole pile of people there are going to lose their jobs. Fifty percent of the food stalls weren't open and there wasn't the demand for them to open.

Also heard that Centra on the corner of Westmoreland St. isn't open and the Spar opposite Connolly station hasn't opened either. Small scale but nonetheless a great bellwether as these are some of the busiest areas, in terms of footfall, in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭GreenGrass2019

Just to add a bit to the above. I'm self-employed and posted my taxes in 2018, late, but posted and paid, and I was cut to €203. For an FYI, I was onto the DEASP about the PUP rerate and had to email my F11. I was just on to them again and was told that payments won't be reinstated this week, the optimistic view is next week, but at the same time it could be another 2 or 3 weeks. Also the person on the phone didn't know how the DEASP were going to settle the deducted portion of the payment, they haven't been told that yet. That's it so far.

Just to confirm - I take it you were above the 200 p/w take home on your F11 for 2018? - That you will be reinstated back up to the €350 p/w PUP

Just to confirm - I take it you were above the 200 p/w take home on your F11 for 2018? - That you will be reinstated back up to the €350 p/w PUP

Spot on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭ATC110

Has anyone received a decision on their appeal against the PUP rate reduction?

I received a secure email on 2nd July through MyWelfare stating the payment was being reduced with an appeals address of:

COVID 19 Unemployment Payments
    PO Box 12896
    Dublin 1

I appealed in writing on 2nd July by registered post but have yet to receive a reply.

I see on Money Guide Ireland there is an email option to PUPRerate@welfare.ie OR write to: PUP Rerate Requests, DEASP, Intreo Centre, Cork Road, Waterford.

Does anyone know if the PO Box address in Dublin and the email address are both valid?

Advertisement