Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government Benefits Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Trying to get through to DEASP with a friend, anyone having any luck?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear this, at least you got sorted, it's extraordinary how this whole thing being managed

How was his application badly managed in your opinion?

JCX BXC wrote: »

Which section are you ringing?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭64869923

JCX BXC wrote: »

Rang them at 2 and it was answered within a minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

splinter65 wrote: »
    How was his application badly managed in your opinion?

In my humble opinion, I was not referring to his application but in fact the way the department are handling this debacle

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

I wouldn't say the rate was fair to be honest.

Most people that lose employment have a drastic fall in income and are expected to live on 203 (350 if married / co-habaitating)

People on PUP got a soft landing with 350 (700 if married / co-habaitating and if both entitled to PUP).

But I would agree, anyone that would turn down a job opportunity will get an shock when it ends as some people on PUP won't be eligible for the max rate JA/JB and there is no current plans for a transition payment or period.

In fairness, government mandated work closures and the ensuing job suspensions/losses are different to losing your job in normal circumstances.

I agree though that nobody should be turning down a return to work. What a joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭amusicalfrog

Hi, I'm due to get paid one week's wages for a one-week long virtual internship I did. I'm just fnished college and am still temporarily laid-off from my part-time job. Should I take myself off the payment for the week that I get paid for the internship, and, if so, would I be eligible to reapply? The whole system seems to be awkward when applied to temporary internships

Hi, I'm due to get paid one week's wages for a one-week long virtual internship I did. I'm just fnished college and am still temporarily laid-off from my part-time job. Should I take myself off the payment for the week that I get paid for the internship, and, if so, would I be eligible to reapply? The whole system seems to be awkward when applied to temporary internships

In a nutshell, I would not close PUP for a once off internship already completed , the internship is something you completed prior to being laid off and is entirely seperate to your part time job. Signing off and signing back on would be a nightmare with no gaurentee you'll get PUP a second time, JSA may not be open to you as a student. One off internships would not be classified as employment as such.

So, my humble opinion is do nothing, others opinions may differ

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭natc

Hubbie closed his claim last Monday when he started working. Logged on to mywelfare and closed claim through their link. A week later and he’s received PUP again. Is this a mistake or is it paid in arrears?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

natc wrote: »
    Hubbie closed his claim last Monday when he started working. Logged on to mywelfare and closed claim through their link. A week later and he’s received PUP again. Is this a mistake or is it paid in arrears?

This weeks payment would of been for Fri 3rd July- Thurs 9th July

• Advertisement

In my humble opinion, I was not referring to his application but in fact the way the department are handling this debacle

What debacle exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭ATC110

64869923 wrote: »
    Just to add a bit to the above. I'm self-employed and posted my taxes in 2018, late, but posted and paid, and I was cut to €203. For an FYI, I was onto the DEASP about the PUP rerate and had to email my F11. I was just on to them again and was told that payments won't be reinstated this week, the optimistic view is next week, but at the same time it could be another 2 or 3 weeks. Also the person on the phone didn't know how the DEASP were going to settle the deducted portion of the payment, they haven't been told that yet. That's it so far.

Can I ask how your income was assessed?
    My 2018 income was above the €200 PW threshold but the DEASP has taken my income net of capital allowances which brought it below the threshold. I have appealed pointing out the overheads the capital allowances are based on still have to be paid for whether I'm earning or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Snow_White1987

Just to add a bit to the above. I'm self-employed and posted my taxes in 2018, late, but posted and paid, and I was cut to €203. For an FYI, I was onto the DEASP about the PUP rerate and had to email my F11. I was just on to them again and was told that payments won't be reinstated this week, the optimistic view is next week, but at the same time it could be another 2 or 3 weeks. Also the person on the phone didn't know how the DEASP were going to settle the deducted portion of the payment, they haven't been told that yet. That's it so far.

Thank you for the update!

I’m in the same boat in that I’m self employed with my rate mistakenly cut.

Can I ask, did you ring the DEASP directly or the Covid support line? I’ve sent all my documents and a few emails to that PUP address and still nada, it’s the waiting game I think!

They are nice on the Covid helpline but can’t give anyone updates as they don’t know what’s happening themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭ATC110

For anyone self-employed, I've created a separate thread

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=114026350#post114026350

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Interestingly, a relative ended their payment two weeks ago, got the one arrears payment however have been paid again today? Anybody have this before? Do you just close the payment again? Thanks

Interestingly, a relative ended their payment two weeks ago, got the one arrears payment however have been paid again today? Anybody have this before? Do you just close the payment again? Thanks

I've seen reports of this, in fact payments going on for weeks despite being closed. I think best thing is to make contact with them, I doubt you can close a claim a second time, there's a lo call number on the mywelfare portal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

I've seen reports of this, in fact payments going on for weeks despite being closed. I think best thing is to make contact with them, I doubt you can close a claim a second time, there's a lo call number on the mywelfare portal

Will get her to do that! Thanks

Will get her to do that! Thanks

No problem :)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 rajqo

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/covid-19-unemployment-payment-to-be-phased-out-as-not-affordable-long-term-1011038.html?fbclid=IwAR1bk1mmZqR7DuRsy84aZnzYA9bCMnEW2R4GADGR30cfL94sELEeAzxFKSs

...payment will be phased out as “it would not be affordable to keep it forever.”...

...a phased reduction of the payment from €350 a week to €203 between August and Christmas...

ATC110 wrote: »
    Can I ask how your income was assessed?
    My 2018 income was above the €200 PW threshold but the DEASP has taken my income net of capital allowances which brought it below the threshold. I have appealed pointing out the overheads the capital allowances are based on still have to be paid for whether I'm earning or not.

I was told the figure they take is net income and divide by 52. I'm fortunate this figure is above the threshold thus qualifying me for €350.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭kerryjack

rajqo wrote: »
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/covid-19-unemployment-payment-to-be-phased-out-as-not-affordable-long-term-1011038.html?fbclid=IwAR1bk1mmZqR7DuRsy84aZnzYA9bCMnEW2R4GADGR30cfL94sELEeAzxFKSs

...payment will be phased out as “it would not be affordable to keep it forever.”...

...a phased reduction of the payment from €350 a week to €203 between August and Christmas...
    Can't see them finishing before Christmas TBH

Thank you for the update!

I’m in the same boat in that I’m self employed with my rate mistakenly cut.

Can I ask, did you ring the DEASP directly or the Covid support line? I’ve sent all my documents and a few emails to that PUP address and still nada, it’s the waiting game I think!

They are nice on the Covid helpline but can’t give anyone updates as they don’t know what’s happening themselves.

I got a text notifying me that my payment may be reduced and rang the number in it, 1890 800 024. I assumed the DEASP and Covid helpline were all the one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

I'm still getting emails telling me to confirm I'm still eligible for PUP before July 20th or risk losing the payment, even though I closed it weeks ago and haven't had any payment bar the back week - anyone else?

I got a text notifying me that my payment may be reduced and rang the number in it, 1890 800 024. I assumed the DEASP and Covid helpline were all the one.

Thanks for clarifying, I did the same – multiple times at this stage!

Have you heard anything back since you emailed your F11?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Has anyone who has emailed about a review of their rate actually got a response? I know of numerous people who got reduced to the €203 and have appealed yet nobody I know has got any reply since.

Have you heard anything back since you emailed your F11?

Not a thing, I honestly expect this to drag on as it's an easy way to claw back a tiny bit of money and make it look as if they're doing something meaningful.

Thanks for clarifying, I did the same – multiple times at this stage!

Heads up by the way for anyone reading this I called Friday and Monday. On the Monday call I was told "sure you asked about that when you called on Friday". Take from it what you will but to me it looks like calls are recorded and transcribed.

Morrison J wrote: »
    Has anyone who has emailed about a review of their rate actually got a response? I know of numerous people who got reduced to the €203 and have appealed yet nobody I know has got any reply since.

I know so many who have appealed also and not one has had a response either.

I’ve sent follow up emails and called almost every day the helpline to see if there’s been any update from their side and still nothing. It’s infuriating as why keep mentioning the appeal process with the address if no one answers anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

Salty wrote: »
    In fairness, government mandated work closures and the ensuing job suspensions/losses are different to losing your job in normal circumstances.

I agree though that nobody should be turning down a return to work. What a joke!

PUP came into effect on the 6th March before the mandate. Schools closed on the 12th march, Pubs on the 15th march and the main Public Health mandate on the 27th march.

If a man or woman lost there jobs on the 5th of March vs 6th of March are in the same situation with a drastic loss of income but are treated differently.

One person is getting 203 and the other 350. One couple are getting 350 and the other 700.

Thats not to take away from the hardship suffered by many due to COVID-19. I simple think its a stretch to say the PUP rate was fair given that others are in a worst off position, likewise, through no fault of their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Well Leo stood up and told us all to stay at home, I like many others wasn't long in a new job and got caught now with being last in last back to work which is only fair so until things get back to where they were BC I won't have a job to go back to.

• Advertisement

Has anyone received any contact via the rates review process yet?

Still nothing on my side, and I'm just wondering if anyone at all has had contact yet?

Advertisement