Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government Benefits Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭64869923

Has anyone received any contact via the rates review process yet?

Still nothing on my side, and I'm just wondering if anyone at all has had contact yet?

Rang them today, nice person but no real information. They said they're inundated with appeals and going through them. They didn't know when people would know the outcome or how they would be contacted regarding it. The only real nugget was that people would be paid the difference in arrears if they're appeal was successful but they didn't know how or when that would happen. The wait continues...

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Snow_White1987

64869923 wrote: »
    Rang them today, nice person but no real information. They said they're inundated with appeals and going through them. They didn't know when people would know the outcome or how they would be contacted regarding it. The only real nugget was that people would be paid the difference in arrears if they're appeal was successful but they didn't know how or when that would happen. The wait continues...

I spoke to a very nice woman today also who said much the same – and that almost all appeals were from the self-employed!

She did say we'll either be emailed (to keep an eye on junk mail folders) or be written to via post (I can see them emailing as it's quicker) and that they do have to reply to everyone, but as they got thousands of appeal queries and each has to be looked at and matched with revenue records, she couldn't say when we'd know.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Can I just check, my friend due back in work Friday 24th, if she signs off that date will she get a payment the 28th? Just she’s worried as work won’t pay her again until 7th August.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

pc7 wrote: »
    Can I just check, my friend due back in work Friday 24th, if she signs off that date will she get a payment the 28th? Just she’s worried as work won’t pay her again until 7th August.

Yes, it's paid a week in arrears if that makes sense

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Yes, it's paid a week in arrears if that makes sense

Great thanks she’s delighted

• Advertisement

pc7 wrote: »
    Great thanks she’s delighted

No problem, glad she's able to return to work :)

No problem, glad she's able to return to work :)

So is she! I’d have loved a week or two off but couldn’t have managed off that long,
    She was going loopy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭rgossip30

With most social welfare recipients getting paid into bank accounts will this continue in the future . How do social welfare plan to make sure those claiming do not leave the country . The checks for those leaving airports here is not effective as one can leave through Belfast .

rgossip30 wrote: »
    With all social welfare recipients getting paid into bank accounts will this continue in the future . How do social welfare plan to make sure those claiming do not leave the country . The checks for those leaving airports here is not effective as one can leave through Belfast .

Not all social welfare payments are paid into banks albeit its the way they prefer to do it, there are still many benifits paid into post office for collection, pensions, sick, disibility and SW.

It's an interesting point though and I assume they are working on mechanisms such a postal verifications such as medical cards, child's allowance etc. In normal times a monthly sign on would be the norm even for those having payments electronically transferred but with Intreo centres operating part time and social distancing, I'd doubt they'll want 1000s arriving at their doors each month

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

PUP came into effect on the 6th March before the mandate. Schools closed on the 12th march, Pubs on the 15th march and the main Public Health mandate on the 27th march.

If a man or woman lost there jobs on the 5th of March vs 6th of March are in the same situation with a drastic loss of income but are treated differently.

One person is getting 203 and the other 350. One couple are getting 350 and the other 700.

Thats not to take away from the hardship suffered by many due to COVID-19. I simple think its a stretch to say the PUP rate was fair given that others are in a worst off position, likewise, through no fault of their own.

350 for 2 adults who happen to be married. 239 For a household of 2 adults where one is the child of the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭rgossip30

Not all social welfare payments are paid into banks albeit its the way they prefer to do it, there are still many benifits paid into post office for collection, pensions, sick, disibility and SW.

It's an interesting point though and I assume they are working on mechanisms such a postal verifications such as medical cards, child's allowance etc. In normal times a monthly sign on would be the norm even for those having payments electronically transferred but with Intreo centres operating part time and social distancing, I'd doubt they'll want 1000s arriving at their doors each month
    I guess it could be done by fingerprint scans using the public service card .

rgossip30 wrote: »
    I guess it could be done by fingerprint scans using the public service card .

Steady on now, finger print scans, this is the DEASP we're talking about, basic email response functionality is something they are still grasping with :)

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

Multipass wrote: »
    350 for 2 adults who happen to be married. 239 For a household of 2 adults where one is the child of the other.

I was speaking in terms of a Single Adult or Couple. A couple are treated the same, whether married or cohabitating.

I didn't mention the increase for a qualified child because it depends on the individuals circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

How did you calculate that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

splinter65 wrote: »
    How did you calculate that?

By my own income! 18 year old, just finished school. Costs as much to maintain as any adult male.

By my own income! 18 year old, just finished school. Costs as much to maintain as any adult male.

If he’s 18 and he’s not going to college in September then he’ll make his own claim then. In the meantime he can get busy with his CV and covering letter, get dressed up nice and smart and walk the streets looking for a job. Lots of places are reopening now and lots of business have lost employees over the covid period. Hotels, coffee shops etc Tell him to make sure when he goes in that he tells them he’s available for an immediate start. Also it’s €243, not €239.

As splinter said if he over 18, he should be claiming in his own right.

There is a 3 month restriction on people just finished school, however as the school closed on the 15th March he may be eligible to claim now.

If he’s 18 and he’s not going to college in September then he’ll make his own claim then. In the meantime he can get busy with his CV and covering letter, get dressed up nice and smart and walk the streets looking for a job. Lots of places are reopening now and lots of business have lost employees over the covid period. Hotels, coffee shops etc Tell him to make sure when he goes in that he tells them he’s available for an immediate start. Also it’s €243, not €239.

Too funny, dressed up smart etc. On a more serious note and I would encourage anyone at that age to be looking for employment or college but I suspect hotels, coffee shops not an option, both are barely able to open their doors let alone hire new staff

Too funny, dressed up smart etc. On a more serious note and I would encourage anyone at that age to be looking for employment or college but I suspect hotels, coffee shops not an option, both are barely able to open their doors let alone hire new staff

That shouldn’t stop him from trying. The coffee shop my daughter works in (well known chain) is re opening on Tuesday after closing on 22 March. Most of the staff are not coming back. They either found something else in the meantime ( some went to Aldi) or can’t come back due to childcare issues. Lots of businesses that only pay minimum wage are having issues with this.

That shouldn’t stop him from trying. The coffee shop my daughter works in (well known chain) is re opening on Tuesday after closing on 22 March. Most of the staff are not coming back. They either found something else in the meantime ( some went to Aldi) or can’t come back due to childcare issues. Lots of businesses that only pay minimum wage are having issues with this.

I suspect that says more about the minimum wage. Even those on the TWSS are reporting abuses of this scheme, so I'm afraid I've little sympathy for that point. But I do agree it shouldn't stop him looking. There is a harsh reality though, the pandemic destroyed many young people's chances of part time work over the past few months and realistically its not going to be easy to get a job, any job for the foreseeable future

• Advertisement

That shouldn’t stop him from trying.

To be fair, they didn't say anything about him trying or not trying to get a job, they merely said that he was unemployed.

Given that youth unemployment is currently 45%, thats not really surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭64869923

To be fair, they didn't say anything about him trying or not trying to get a job, they merely said that he was unemployed.

Given that youth unemployment is currently 45%, thats not really surprising.

Youth unemployment is 45%......mental!It's the recession all over again, maybe worse, just with nowhere else to go this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

I can tell you as I am in this segment, we (or at least my friends and I) are definitely trying. Have handed my CV into multiple places, checking indeed etc. The competition at the moment is huge with one job opening getting nearly triple the regular amount of CVs handed in. It's going to take a while for things to go back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Aquals

Anyone able to give a recent update on the current waiting time from applying to receiving the PUP? Thanks!

Aquals wrote: »
    Anyone able to give a recent update on the current waiting time from applying to receiving the PUP? Thanks!

Is it a new claim? If so and all in order, original applications completed within a few days, payment normally slightly more than a week after. At the start, the mywelfre portal very slow to update, I think this fixed so keep checking it for awarded to show. If its a postal application, painfully slow and up to two weeks. If ultimately approved, it's paid a week in arrears.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rogieop

Anyone missing a payment this morn or experiencing delays?

rogieop wrote: »
    Anyone missing a payment this morn or experiencing delays?

No, all fine

• Registered Users Posts: 23 jaydrum22

If I go back to work on friday and I cancel my payment will I get the next weeks pup?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

64869923 wrote: »
    Youth unemployment is 45%......mental!It's the recession all over again, maybe worse, just with nowhere else to go this time.

It's awful it really is and unfortunately the worst is yet to come this Winter and there is no avoiding it with no vaccine in sight until next March at the earliest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭newboard

Hi all,
    Asking for a friend - if you're on Covid pay and are not working, if you're asked to return to work is there a period of grace of still receiving Covid pay prior to your first wages payment?

For example if you're asked to return from the start of the month, but wages are paid at the end of the month that would be a full month of working but not receiving payment. I'm wondering whether you can still receive Covid pay during this period that doesn't leave you without any money for the full month?

Thanks

Advertisement