Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government Benefits Megathread

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

jaydrum22 wrote: »
    If I go back to work on friday and I cancel my payment will I get the next weeks pup?

Yeah the week runs from a Friday Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 23 jaydrum22

PTH2009 wrote: »

Nice one save me going a week with one days pay. Thanks for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 23 jaydrum22

PTH2009 wrote: »

Nice one save me going a week with one days pay. Thanks for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

so whats the story with the payments going into the end of the year ?, heard its being extended to April 2021 :eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

Read the news, being phased out until April next year, rte news will tell u all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

newboard wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Asking for a friend - if you're on Covid pay and are not working, if you're asked to return to work is there a period of grace of still receiving Covid pay prior to your first wages payment?

For example if you're asked to return from the start of the month, but wages are paid at the end of the month that would be a full month of working but not receiving payment. I'm wondering whether you can still receive Covid pay during this period that doesn't leave you without any money for the full month?

Thanks

You have to cancel your claim the first day you are back to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

News yesterday that the PUP is being taken from people who have travelled abroad. I think this is fair in the case of people who have just gone home for the summer because they're not available for work but it's not fair on someone who may have had a week or two booked abroad before this all kicked off?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

pinkyeye wrote: »
    News yesterday that the PUP is being taken from people who have travelled abroad. I think this is fair in the case of people who have just gone home for the summer because they're not available for work but it's not fair on someone who may have had a week or two booked abroad before this all kicked off?

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0726/1155630-pup-airport-checks/

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Snow_White1987

What I want to know is how they managed to find the 104 people who went on holidays to stop their payments?

I'm of the opinion if you've no or very little income, you shouldn't really be travelling as that's not what the funds are intended for but perhaps these people had kept money aside and instead of eating into it, decided to use it to go away? In that case, it might be unfair...

Hard to know, it's an odd one for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Yes, we're all in this together, I hear the government saying, its an absolute disgrace. If they spend more time sorting out countless PUP Recipients who've had their payments reduced incorrectly, including self employed rather than deploying DEASP to airports it would be far more productive.

I recall alot of people on PUP were in full times jobs, paid their taxes before this crisis, furthermore alot on pup whilst getting the payment are waiting to return to their jobs. God forbid those employed 4 months ago saved some money, worse still, they may have booked and paid for a holiday. Like the so called holiday rebate nonsense, discrimination is alive and well.

Of course its typical behavior, now the dust is settling, the super junior ministers got their outrageous pay rise, let's now get at the most vulnerable. Makes my blood boil.

Yes, penalise those acting the maggot, but don't lump everyone into their little games. Meanwhile, the TWSS continues and not a peep about it, basically we'll give employers 75% of your payroll, doesn't matter if your staff are still at home, just don't mention the world unemployed, when in fact it's the same thing but costing far more the PUP.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

The fact that there are hundreds of people going on holidays abroad on other peoples money, while those of us working paying our taxes stay here following the advice makes everything a complete and utter mockery. Its just a spit in the face for everyone in the working poor or lower middle class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Ya they probably a few heading off travelling, I know one lad is thinking of heading to Thailand for the winter he recons you would live like a king there for 350 a week. It's only fair you stay here and spend the 350 locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

kerryjack wrote: »
    Ya they probably a few heading off travelling, I know one lad is thinking of heading to Thailand for the winter he recons you would live like a king there for 350 a week. It's only fair you stay here and spend the 350 locally.
    I read people could keep it until april 2021!

kerryjack wrote: »

Just curious how your feeling about the 10's of thousands currently having 75% of their wages paid by you? it's called the TWSS, temporary wage subsidy scam. Meant to support businesses back open etc but perhaps your not aware, Staff don't actually have to be back working, indeed I know 3, getting a tidy sum of €2800 net per month and all at home since March. PUP recepients your referring too were in mostly full time employment last March. Paid their taxes, may have saved, may have paid for a holiday, shocking isn't it, but really quite normal. Finally alot of PUP recepients are actually in employment, awaiting a return, just felt you needed some clarification. €350 in Thailand was once a Kings ransom, that was about 30 years ago.

They are indeed and wonderful news albeit its being sadly reduced before then.

Just a little perspective....

Just curious how your feeling about the 10's of thousands currently having 75% of their wages paid by you? it's called the TWSS, temporary wage subsidy scam. Meant to support businesses back open etc but perhaps your not aware, Staff don't actually have to be back working, indeed I know 3, getting a tidy sum of €2800 net per month and all at home since March. PUP recepients your referring too were in mostly full time employment last March. Paid their taxes, may have saved, may have paid for a holiday, shocking isn't it, but really quite normal. Finally alot of PUP recepients are actually in employment, awaiting a return, just felt you needed some clarification. €350 in Thailand was once a Kings ransom, that was about 30 years ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Payment gets reduced from September to April.

Payment gets reduced from September to April.

This is true, but this is if you are on the €350 per week now.

What happens to those currently on the lowest reduced rate of €203, from September? Do they just stay on that? Much of the self-employed are on the lower rate now (myself included) so I'll be anxious to see what happens...

What happens to those currently on the lowest reduced rate of €203, from September? Do they just stay on that? Much of the self-employed are on the lower rate now (myself included) so I'll be anxious to see what happens...

Ah, hang on, it says here: https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0723/1155101-pandemic-unemployment-payment/

"Claimants who earned less than €200 per week prior to the pandemic will continue to receive €203."

So good news for those of us on €203 now...!

€203 is jobseeker's rate. They can't reduce it anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭rob316

That's shocking they are stopping payments for going on holiday. So you can sponge off the state on the dole for life and do what you want but if you lost your job through no fault of your own, they stop your payment?
    There is nothing on the deasp site that says you have to be actively seeking employment to receive it.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭64869923

The_Brood wrote: »
    The fact that there are hundreds of people going on holidays abroad on other peoples money, while those of us working paying our taxes stay here following the advice makes everything a complete and utter mockery. Its just a spit in the face for everyone in the working poor or lower middle class.

You're some craíc. I saw the post below in another forum, you need to make up your mind.

The_Brood wrote: »
    1) A "sunny holiday" is a critical mental health issue for many. Open your windows and look at the weather.

2) Tourism, aviation and travel jobs matter too.

Those who traveled abroad may have had those flights booked for a while. I had a holiday to a far flung sunny place booked back in December, unfortunately for me where I was going isn't letting in foreign travelers but if I had one booked to a European city I surely would have taken off.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,148 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

So a bar manager on PUP who cannot get back to work because the government are preventing him from doing so will be penalized for going to one of the green list countries the government say are safe to travel to for a holiday he booked last year?

What sort of absolute fúckery is that?

Whatever about the rights and wrongs of going abroad that is scandalous.

Boggles wrote: »
    So a bar manager on PUP who cannot get back to work because the government are preventing him from doing so will be penalized for going to one of the green list countries the government say are safe to travel to for a holiday he booked last year?

And there wasn't any conditions attached when signing up for the PUP. You just have to have lost your job. Now they're making up rules to go along with it.

It's the type, when the dust settles, let's hammer the most vulnerable. Absolutely outrageous carry on. The clown Leo, seems to lost his sincerity mask, those on PUP should be looking for work he says, what a buffoon, isn't he aware alot on this payment actually have Jobs but can't get back to them because of the crisis.

They can put staff in Airports and yet can't deal with arrears and questionable reductions & appeals of said decisions re this Payment, and for the record, Leo forgets not everyone is getting €350 pm

Dempo1 wrote: »
    It's the type, when the dust settles, let's hammer the most vulnerable. Absolutely outrageous carry on. The clown Leo, seems to lost his sincerity mask, those on PUP should be looking for work he says, what a buffoon, isn't he aware alot on this payment actually have Jobs but can't get back to them because of the crisis.

They can put staff in Airports and yet can't deal with arrears and questionable reductions & appeals of said decisions re this Payment, and for the record, Leo forgets not everyone is getting €350 pm

It's dangerously counter productive because of the end of the day, they need the populous to buy in to whatever public health measures may be introduced if there is a resurgence in the virus.

If people see they are being unfairly hammered for following the governments rules, they won't comply.

And TBH I wouldn't blame with that sort of blatant muppetry.

It's dangerously counter productive because of the end of the day, they need the populous to buy in to whatever public health measures may be introduced if there is a resurgence in the virus.

If people see they are being unfairly hammered for following the governments rules, they won't comply.

And TBH I wouldn't blame with that sort of blatant muppetry.

I think you may be missing the point, there is blatant discrimination going on here, not withstanding 6,000 went through Dublin Airport on the day in question. The PUP payment, whatever its merits had no such strings attached when started and furthermore the media spin that everyone on €350 pw and that there's Q"s of PUP recepients at airports, ably stirred by Leo varadker is outrageous.

I'm absolutely not suggesting any travel but I'm saying what's good for the goose, seems not good for the gander. Finally and it's often overlooked, PUP recepients for the most part had jobs, paid their taxes, saved, like everyone else up to 4 months ago, seems now the dust is settling, let's put the boot in seems to be the way forward.

Dempo1 wrote: »
    I think you may be missing the point

No, I'm fully agreeing you.

My point was if people are going be treated like second class citizens for simply following the rules the government lays out, then in the future they won't follow the rules.

Why would they?

No, I'm fully agreeing you.

My point was if people are going be treated like second class citizens for simply following the rules the government lays out, then in the future they won't follow the rules.

Why would they?

Yes, agreed, what was telling however that when the story broke, not a mention of any other sections of society being penalised, my point i guess is, 104 have PUP payment stopped, zero mention of possibly 100s who travelled despite government guidelines, I doubt very much PUP recepients had stickers on their foreheads saying, please question me :)

As an aside and worth pointing out statutory legislation dealing with this was quietly approved by miniteral decree 2 weeks ago, no Dail vote, no one told about it, there's a Dail motion later to annul it but no doubt it will fail

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Jess2019

Does anyone else think this has been put in place to catch those in receipt of the PUP who have now decided to head home to their own countries for good/couple of months?
    Just putting that question out there.

Advertisement