Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government Benefits Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭hasdanta

Hi guys,

My partner has had a COVID test as he was in contact with someone who tested positive. Awaiting results, and as a result I had to take time off work because if my partner has COVID, I very likely have it. Earliest I can get a COVID test is Saturday, but will likely just cancel it if he tests negative (as I myself have no been in contact with a confirmed case and I have no symptoms). However, if his results take longer than 24 hours, I'll likely be losing anywhere from 2-4 days pay.

Is there anywhere I can apply to make up for these lost days as I had to self-isolate? I know there's the Illness Benefit, but you need a cert and I will not be getting the test if he tests negative.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

hasdanta wrote: »
    Hi guys,

My partner has had a COVID test as he was in contact with someone who tested positive. Awaiting results, and as a result I had to take time off work because if my partner has COVID, I very likely have it. Earliest I can get a COVID test is Saturday, but will likely just cancel it if he tests negative (as I myself have no been in contact with a confirmed case and I have no symptoms). However, if his results take longer than 24 hours, I'll likely be losing anywhere from 2-4 days pay.

Is there anywhere I can apply to make up for these lost days as I had to self-isolate? I know there's the Illness Benefit, but you need a cert and I will not be getting the test if he tests negative.

Cheers

Unfortunately my reading of the situation is you have to be medically advised to self isolate, in other words you need a medical cert from your GP before you can claim the inhanced illness benefit (part of the govs benefits package during the pandemic), GP's are increasingly reluctant to issue certs unless you've been specifically instructed by one to self isolate. The benefit will NOT be paid without a cert, I understand your predicament but you decided to self isolate on the basis your partner "might" be positive.

Perhaps call your own GP and see what they say

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭hasdanta

Thanks for your help!

A bit bad on the gov's part as I could have gone into work and said nothing, but decided to lose out on a day's wages instead (which isn't easy as I am a minimum wage worker) as it was the right thing to do. Thankfully, partner is negative so I won't lose much more.

hasdanta wrote: »
    Thanks for your help!

A bit bad on the gov's part as I could have gone into work and said nothing, but decided to lose out on a day's wages instead (which isn't easy as I am a minimum wage worker) as it was the right thing to do. Thankfully, partner is negative so I won't lose much more.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, ideally it might have been better to talk to GP immediately but glad to hear partner all clear. Take care, stay safe

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭beaver111

Hi,my wife is back to work 3 weeks and was wondering is she entitled for a back payment as she didnt get any pup for 3 weeks at the start of the pandemic?

• Advertisement

beaver111 wrote: »
    Hi,my wife is back to work 3 weeks and was wondering is she entitled for a back payment as she didnt get any pup for 3 weeks at the start of the pandemic?

There is still an issue with payments outstanding from the start of the pandemic, I'd be advising her to contact them, using the 1800 number or email address supplied. I see on other threads this remains a contentious issue. Assuming she was approved and in receipt of payment she would be entitled from the day her application was processed, she'll need to have that info etc

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭64869923

Has anyone with a bank of Ireland account received today's pup payment yet?

Has it not always been the case that only furloughed workers got the PUP i.e. temporary lay offs?

Permanent lay offs always moved straight to unemployment benefit to my knowledge.

Not so yet anyway, anyone temp laid off, laid off fully etc as a result of the pandemic initially were put on the PUP payment, however the Dept has "encouraged" those that have no chance of returning to their jobs to move onto JSA/JSB, I use the word encouraged as it has not been enforced yet due to the substantial differences in rates paid and indeed most intero offices still operating on limited hours, this also includes self employed claimants.

ShimSlady wrote: »
    I was unaware that was the case.

So in theory I would be entitled to about 6 months redundancy from the employer but no PUP.

Need to explain more, 6 months redundancy? but no PUP? There is no ambiguity on entitlement to PUP, if you've been laid off temporarily or permanently as a result of the pandemic you apply for PUP, no new claims after the 17th September, redundancy an entirely different matter and may kick in after a specific amount of service only, please note all redundancies are on hold at present a temp suspension as such, this is to allow employers determine if full time layoffs permanent.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,428 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Dempo1 wrote:
    Not so yet anyway, anyone temp laid off, laid off fully etc as a result of the pandemic initially were put on the PUP payment, however the Dept has "encouraged" those that have no chance of returning to their jobs to move onto JSA/JSB, I use the word encouraged as it has not been enforced yet due to the substantial differences in rates paid and indeed most intero offices still operating on limited hours, this also includes self employed claimants.

It makes no sense moving people from covid to jsa/jsb, covid should remain in place, indefinitely

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    It makes no sense moving people from covid to jsa/jsb, covid should remain in place, indefinitely

Agreed, hence the word "encourage", it was never going to happen in reality hence the reason its been extended to April 2021 but being gradually tapered to match standard JSA rates. Of course worth mentioning most of not all part timers and alot of self employed had rate cut over a month ago to €203 based on previous earnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,428 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Dempo1 wrote:
    Agreed, hence the word "encourage", it was never going to happen in reality hence the reason its been extended to April 2021 but being gradually tapered to match standard JSA rates. Of course worth mentioning most of not all part timers and alot of self employed had rate cut over a month ago to €203 based on previous earnings.

The economy needs money right now, and people spending it, reducing payments, reduces the likelihood of that money being spent, this could completely wreck the economy, they need to stop with this ridiculous balancing the books crap, families need that money also.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    The economy needs money right now, and people spending it, reducing payments, reduces the likelihood of that money being spent, this could completely wreck the economy, they need to stop with this ridiculous balancing the books crap, families need that money also.

No argument from me on that point :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

returned to work yesterday and cancelled my covid payment but I got no email confirmation that I did and the awarded banner is still showing up on my profile

PTH2009 wrote: »
    returned to work yesterday and cancelled my covid payment but I got no email confirmation that I did and the awarded banner is still showing up on my profile

Awarded will show until cancellation is verified, as you did it on a Saturday, this may take till Monday to update, you should receive payment on Tuesday also

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Awarded will show until cancellation is verified, as you did it on a Saturday, this may take till Monday to update, you should receive payment on Tuesday also

Grand, yeah I should receive a payment on Tuesday 25th for the week of Fri 14th Aug- Thurs 20th Aug

I doubt I will get welfare payment on Tuesday 1st Sep for the week 21st-28th Aug ?

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Grand, yeah I should receive a payment on Tuesday 25th for the week of Fri 14th Aug- Thurs 20th Aug

I doubt I will get welfare payment on Tuesday 1st Sep for the week 21st-28th Aug ?

You should be paid up to Friday 21st August as you signed off yesterday, so as it's paid in arrears, this weeks payment is up to 14th August, so possibly 2 payments left if this makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Dressoutlet

Anyone know how long the covid IB is taking to process.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Has there been any clarification for students on the covid payment yet? I know students are eligible but since they added they "able to be seek work" part it kind if discounts students and they should cancel it once college starts right? Just getting mixed messages from different types of people

Going to be awkward, every job I apply for is basically taken by the thousands others looking for a job and we need the money for when college does start back up and they are talking of more job losses coming on the radio this morning when the TWSS stops and changes to the EWSS so it's gonna be even more difficult. They'd want to start clarifying things now and have tried emailing to no avail. Think the last step is to try and get the students Union to get clarification really.

Has there been any clarification for students on the covid payment yet? I know students are eligible but since they added they "able to be seek work" part it kind if discounts students and they should cancel it once college starts right? Just getting mixed messages from different types of people

Going to be awkward, every job I apply for is basically taken by the thousands others looking for a job and we need the money for when college does start back up and they are talking of more job losses coming on the radio this morning when the TWSS stops and changes to the EWSS so it's gonna be even more difficult. They'd want to start clarifying things now and have tried emailing to no avail. Think the last step is to try and get the students Union to get clarification really.

Nothing clarified yet but at the time PUP was brought in (I'm open to correction) there wasn't a mention of being a student as such, just Employee or self employed, the only change was with payment structure reducing for part time etc, so at a guess and at the moment there's no specific classification if your a student on PUP.

However, I'd have to assume any student getting pup and returning to FULL time studies would not be entitled to continued PUP payments, again its just a guess.

The EWSS is proving very complex, reduced subsidy, tax clearance needed and a wait time of up to 5/6 weeks for employers to get paid subsidy, I can see alot of redundancies coming

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Nothing clarified yet but at the time PUP was brought in (I'm open to correction) there wasn't a mention of being a student as such, just Employee or self employed, the only change was with payment structure reducing for part time etc, so at a guess and at the moment there's no specific classification if your a student on PUP.

However, I'd have to assume any student getting pup and returning to FULL time studies would not be entitled to continued PUP payments, again its just a guess.

Aye, it was students who are employed but are now unemployed due to the pandemic. If you were just a student and didn't have a job then you weren't entitled to it. Hence my confusion, still in the same situation of being an student (and it still says students who have lost employment are eligible on the website), but it also says be able to look for jobs which usually means they can't. There is so much contradictory information on that page its ridiculous

EDIT: Thanks for all your replies over the last few months Dempo, been really helpful

Aye, it was students who are employed but are now unemployed due to the pandemic. If you were just a student and didn't have a job then you weren't entitled to it. Hence my confusion, still in the same situation of being an student (and it still says students who have lost employment are eligible on the website), but it also says be able to look for jobs which usually means they can't. There is so much contradictory information on that page its ridiculous

EDIT: Thanks for all your replies over the last few months Dempo, been really helpful

No problem, yes as stands your fine of course I'm sure there will be some developments in the coming weeks and of course payments reducing soon, important to keep positive though :)

Anyone know how long the covid IB is taking to process.

I don't think Covid-19 is processed as such :) are you referring to PUP?

Depends on when you applied. Generally takes up to a calender week, not including weekends. Assuming you've applied through mywelfare portal it's quicker and you can log in to check on approval etc, postal a minimum of two weeks, also its paid a week in arrears so kerp that in mind

I don't think Covid-19 is processed as such :) are you referring to PUP?

Depends on when you applied. Generally takes up to a calender week, not including weekends. Assuming you've applied through mywelfare portal it's quicker and you can log in to check on approval etc, postal a minimum of two weeks, also its paid a week in arrears so kerp that in mind

No the enhanced illness benefit I mean, not the PUP. Is there a huge backlog? Applied online and sent Dr's cert via email. Thanks you 🀗

No the enhanced illness benefit I mean, not the PUP. Is there a huge backlog? Applied online and sent Dr's cert via email. Thanks you 🀗

To be honest I'm not aware of any backlogs, if all is in order and you've sent medical cert etc, I'd presume no more than a week, part given the emphasis on people self isolating. I'd give the a call if it's been longer than a week.

To be honest I'm not aware of any backlogs, if all is in order and you've sent medical cert etc, I'd presume no more than a week, part given the emphasis on people self isolating. I'd give the a call if it's been longer than a week.

Thanks again Dempo. Is it paid on a particular day or just whenever?

Thanks again Dempo. Is it paid on a particular day or just whenever?

No problem, if it's paid the same as PUP, usually Tuesday morning into your bank, not sure if anyone else here is getting this payment and might have advice on payment day?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Sunflowers8

Does anyone know if you’re entitled to the PUP if your fixed term contact ends and, due to Covid-19, is not being renewed?

Does anyone know if you’re entitled to the PUP if your fixed term contact ends and, due to Covid-19, is not being renewed?

It covers anyone who has lost their job, been laid off temporarily or self employed who've lost most if not all their trade/income as a result of Covid, part and full time included, Are you self employed or Paye?, you need to get cracking, 17th September, last claims being processed

Edit, I forgot to mention, you'd need to have been in employment on or b4 13th March 2020. The issue for you coukd be that you were on a fixed term contract so in essence you may not qualify based on the fact your contract is not ending because of Covid-19.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭hondar

It covers anyone who has lost their job, been laid off temporarily or self employed who've lost most if not all their trade/income as a result of Covid, part and full time included, Are you self employed or Paye?, you need to get cracking, 17th September, last claims being processed

Edit, I forgot to mention, you'd need to have been in employment on or b4 13th March 2020. The issue for you coukd be that you were on a fixed term contract so in essence you may not qualify based on the fact your contract is not ending because of Covid-19.

It's if you were in employment on or after the 13th of march. Not before the 13th of March.

Advertisement