Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government Benefits Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Dempo1 wrote: »
    It is but you'll have to await test result, if it's enhanced illness payment it requires a specific medical cert from your GP, claim can not be processed without it. Also, I'm unsure if this payment is ending on the 17th September like PUP is, I'll check and revert back.

Yes payment continuing until March 2021 by the looks of it, more details at this link

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/disability_and_illness/covid19_enhanced_illness_benefit.html

Thanks for that.
    I was a little confused when I was looking into it because it said for self isolation and covid diagnosis payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

jrosen wrote: »
    Thanks for that.
    I was a little confused when I was looking into it because it said for self isolation and covid diagnosis payment.

No problem, there's been posts previously and confusion about being referred for a test and being entitled to the enhanced illness benefit, it's all about the result and the medical certificate. Good luck to both of you with the tests

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

was in receipt of JSA from late Feb up to june of this year.

Got a role working remotely in late June and beem told I will not be renewed at end of September due to the current economic climate.

Am I entitled to claim the PUP payment? Last day will be 30th September.

AdrianG08 wrote: »

Got a role working remotely in late June and beem told I will not be renewed at end of September due to the current economic climate.

Sadly no, PUP was specific to people in an employment role before or after 12th March, my understanding is a role gained in June would not be applicable, if you had the role prior to 12th March and lost it before 17th September (when it ends for new claims) you would qualify. Also you mentioned last day is 30th Sept, unf too late even if you did qualify, Sorry about this

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

Sadly no, PUP was specific to people in an employment role before or after 12th March, my understanding is a role gained in June would not be applicable, if you had the role prior to 12th March and lost it before 17th September (when it ends for new claims) you would qualify. Also you mentioned last day is 30th Sept, unf too late even if you did qualify, Sorry about this

Regarding the first point, it would be worth AdrianG08 emailing info@welfare.ie explaining their situation to clarify from the horse's mouth, they usually reply within a day or so.

Your point about the deadline for new claims was right when you posted it but the government have since announced an extension until the end of the year. https://www.thejournal.ie/pandemic-unemployment-payment-2-5205608-Sep2020/

• Advertisement

Regarding the first point, it would be worth AdrianG08 emailing info@welfare.ie explaining their situation to clarify from the horse's mouth, they usually reply within a day or so.

Your point about the deadline for new claims was right when you posted it but the government have since announced an extension until the end of the year. https://www.thejournal.ie/pandemic-unemployment-payment-2-5205608-Sep2020/

Yes worth contacting them but I don't think they'll budge on that specific rule.

It was great news on the PUP application extension until years end, I'm sure a relief for those possibly concerned about current jobs. I see they are also allowing re applications if someone lost a job they got and went off PUP, that was a rule they were going to introduce apparently. Common sense prevailed re the 17th se deadline.

Apart this, it was a bit of a shambles the road map announcement today, they'd confuse confucius :)

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

By your comment I would assume you are fixed term, in which case you are not losing your job due to Covid-19 but because your employment contract is ending without renewal / extension.

You wouldn't be entitled to PUP in that case.

By your comment I would assume you are fixed term, in which case you are not losing your job due to Covid-19 but because your employment contract is ending without renewal / extension.

You wouldn't be entitled to PUP in that case.

The main issue is being on JSA from Feb to June, thereby affecting qualifying rule re being in employment prior to or after March 12th.

I noted in today's announcement that a second application will be permitted for those who lost a second job or laid off a second time, I'm presuming that's based on someone who initially qualified, applied and got PUP, then came off having got a new job or taken back on but sadly laid off or lost job a second time? sounds confusing but I'm presuming the initial March 12th rule still applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭doc22

apply online for PUP and see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

The main issue is being on JSA from Feb to June, thereby affecting qualifying rule re being in employment prior to or after March 12th.

I noted in today's announcement that a second application will be permitted for those who lost a second job or laid off a second time, I'm presuming that's based on someone who initially qualified, applied and got PUP, then came off having got a new job or taken back on but sadly laid off or lost job a second time? sounds confusing but I'm presuming the initial March 12th rule still applies.

There was a "before rule" however as far as I am aware they dropped that when Kildare, Laois and Offaly were sent back into restrictions. Now there is just an "on or after" rule.

As for the June job, that was lost on or after March 12th however not strictly due to Covid-19 (which is a disqualifying factor)

• Advertisement

There was a "before rule" however as far as I am aware they dropped that when Kildare, Laois and Offaly were sent back into restrictions. Now there is just an "on or after" rule.

As for the June job, that was lost on or after March 12th however not strictly due to Covid-19 (which is a disqualifying factor)

And you are 100% correct, DEASP website updated today and the March Rule removed, makes much more sense, thanks

https://www.gov.ie/en/service/be74d3-covid-19-pandemic-unemployment-payment/#how-to-qualify

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭wiz569

Does anybody know if you can ask your employer to make you redundant if you are on the PUP payment, with the payment dropping 50 euro I would be better off claiming JB as I have an adult dependant, and my employer has implied that business is not looking good for the foreseeable future so I won't be returning to work any time soon.

wiz569 wrote: »
    Does anybody know if you can ask your employer to make you redundant if you are on the PUP payment, with the payment dropping 50 euro I would be better off claiming JB as I have an adult dependant, and my employer has implied that business is not looking good for the foreseeable future so I won't be returning to work any time soon.

Really complex issue at the moment, firstly redundancy is not something you ask for as such, it is either offered or forced (in a scenario whereby the business closes), secondly Redundancies legislation is on hold until the 30th November, this is the 3rd time I believe such restrictions have been extended (your rights not affected, just delayed because of the pandemic). Finally and most importantly, employers were once able to get a rebate as such on Redundancy payments, that's no longer the case, so most will if possible avoid offering redundancies unless they have the resources to do so. In the case of a business folding, statutory Redundancy handled through social insurance fund, but only statutory.

Just in relation to moving to JSB if offered redundancy.

There are alot of people like yourself, who may or may not be offered redundancies, as a result of being in limbo, until a redundancy offer is made (if it is of course) currently you can't apply for JSB as you would have to be definitely terminated from employment to qualify, if you leave voluntary, your penalised for up to 9 weeks and forfeit your redundancy rights if entitled to redundancy. I understand you may be better off on JSB, but it's a very tricky situation and needs to be considered carefully, basically my humble advice is hold tight.

It might be wise to contact SW and discuss your personal circumstances, in particular dependant adult, there may be an allowance /payment you might qualify for seperate to PUP, worth making contact given the €50 per week drop coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭wiz569

You can actually ask for redundancy if on lay off for 13 weeks or more I believe, although I know that's not the case at the moment, I don't think I would be entitled to any redundancy payment as I was only there 20 months before Covid.

Either way I don't see why people cannot just transition to normal jobseekers if that a better solution for them in the current climate.

I suppose I better ask the welfare, I presume I can contact them through mywelfare portal?

Cheers :)

You can actually ask for redundancy if on lay off for 13 weeks or more I believe, although I know that's not the case at the moment, I don't think I would be entitled to any redundancy payment as I was only there 20 months before Covid.

Either way I don't see why people cannot just transition to normal jobseekers if that a better solution for them in the current climate.

I suppose I better ask the welfare, I presume I can contact them through mywelfare portal?

Cheers :)

It is unfair but people should know the temporary restrictions on redundancy does not affect their ultimate entitlements, during pandemic lay off your contract of employment is only suspended, not terminated, changed, altered etc. I think government terrified of the possible avalanche coming regarding redundancies.

Just clarify how long normally you have to be laid off before redundancy entitlements kick in (I emphasis NORMALLY)

If a lay-off or a short-time working situation exists and has continued for 4 weeks or more, or for 6 weeks in the last 13 weeks, you may give your employer a notice in writing of your intention to claim redundancy under the Redundancy Payments Acts 1967-2014

• Registered Users Posts: 48 kajzer

Does anyone know if covid payment counts towards the prsi contributions?

My girlfriends applied for maternity benefit from 7 september but was told she doesnt qualify because she doesnt have 39 contributions in the 12 months before it. She started new job in february, then went on illness leave for two weeks after which covid happened. She then came back to work when restaurants were back open. Now she is told she doesnt have 39 contributions which is a joke? It's not her fault the restaurants were closed for 6 months.

kajzer wrote: »
    Does anyone know if covid payment counts towards the prsi contributions?

My girlfriends applied for maternity benefit from 7 september but was told she doesnt qualify because she doesnt have 39 contributions in the 12 months before it. She started new job in february, then went on illness leave for two weeks after which covid happened. She then came back to work when restaurants were back open. Now she is told she doesnt have 39 contributions which is a joke? It's not her fault the restaurants were closed for 6 months.

Hi there, yes but not straight forward & not clear when it will be reflected, there's a link here to explain better, even allowing for the contributions being attributed to PUP, would she have earned enough contributions prior to PUP, I think that may be the issue.

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/97337-minister-humphreys-secures-government-approval-to-legislate-for-pandemic-unemployment-payment-recipients-to-have-access-to-social-insurance-benefits/

Just relation to the 39 contributions a bit confused as to wether your girl had 39 contributions prior to PUP or even including it, anyway I'm no expert on maternity benefits so another link better explains it

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/social_welfare_payments_to_families_and_children/maternity_benefit.html

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭head82

I don't think I would be entitled to any redundancy payment as I was only there 20 months before Covid.

To qualify for redundancy you need to have been employed for 24 months.
    If you were employed for 20 months prior to Covid and have been receiving PUP for the last six months or so, I wonder if that would just be enough to allow you to qualify.

As technnically, you are still in employment for those six months regardless of receiving PUP. Which is not a typical Social Welfare payment.

Might be worth getting clarification on this if you are contacting SW.

head82 wrote: »
    To qualify for redundancy you need to have been employed for 24 months.
    If you were employed for 20 months prior to Covid and have been receiving PUP for the last six months or so, I wonder if that would just be enough to allow you to qualify.

As technnically, you are still in employment for those six months regardless of receiving PUP. Which is not a typical Social Welfare payment.

Might be worth getting clarification on this if you are contacting SW.

I do agree that if someone was employed for say 20 months, then layed off and now on PUP from the date of lay that their service continues, being on PUP and not being Fully let go, means your contract is suspended not terminated.

However, and this could be crucial.

If after 20 months and you were fully let go, had your holidays and anything owed paid and your employer clearly stated your position was terminated then No would be my opinion regarding redundancy entitlements.

It's important to differenciate between being Layed off temporarily & being let go permanently /completely.

My concern is that what does suspension mean from a labour law point of view and I suspect there's nothing to stop employers deciding just to terminate employment, not bring people back and avoid redundancy if an employee has less than 24 months service, just an opinion mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 kajzer

Thanks, no she will have the 39, she was working in 2019 just turned out her previous employer registered her as class J0 instead of class A. So it looked like she didn't have any contributions from last year but they're changing it now.

Going back to the covid payment, i wasn't on the covid payment per se, but my employer had temporarily laid me off for 2 months, and i was on a scheme where he paid i think 10% and the rest was paid by the government. And i checked out of curiosity and my contributions for those two months are listed as J9, is it possible that i might have some trouble claiming anything in the future because of it?

• Advertisement

kajzer wrote: »
    Thanks, no she will have the 39, she was working in 2019 just turned out her previous employer registered her as class J0 instead of class A. So it looked like she didn't have any contributions from last year but they're changing it now.

Going back to the covid payment, i wasn't on the covid payment per se, but my employer had temporarily laid me off for 2 months, and i was on a scheme where he paid i think 10% and the rest was paid by the government. And i checked out of curiosity and my contributions for those two months are listed as J9, is it possible that i might have some trouble claiming anything in the future because of it?

That's good girlfriend sorted :)

Sounds like you were on the TWSS, I don't think you need to worry, there was lots of confusion regarding being taxed at source, people being put on week 1 etc, the taxation part of TWSS to be resolved at years end by revenue.

There's other threads dealing with the The wage subsidy scheme, so search for them, so very knowledgeable payroll people helping with advice etc

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

Does anyone know about back dating payment from the date of lock-down in march to when your first payment arrived? There is a discrepancy of 5 weeks that I have and no one in the welfare office was able to give me a clear answer about this.

eddie73 wrote: »
    Does anyone know about back dating payment from the date of lock-down in march to when your first payment arrived? There is a discrepancy of 5 weeks that I have and no one in the welfare office was able to give me a clear answer about this.

There's an enormous volume of people waiting for back payments, covered across boards, it's a thundering disgrace and no one getting a straight answer, some vague responses included "it won't be dealt with until PUP ends", that's April next year. Just astonishing no one in media or politics rais questions about this, quick enough to report a fall in pup claims however.

People really need to start tweeting and posting on social media about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 mikkijan

Usually you can't and it ceases, however I am in the exact same situation as yourself. Contacted them a week and a bit ago and no response yet. It's confusing because it says students are eligible yet you also have to be able to seek work so it's contradictory really. Next step is to contact the students Union and try to get an answer from them really and see if they can push for a proper response.

SleetAndSnow, Did you ever get a response? I would very much like to know this too, and am going round in circles trying to find out. Thanks

mikkijan wrote: »
    SleetAndSnow, Did you ever get a response? I would very much like to know this too, and am going round in circles trying to find out. Thanks

There's an update on the SW website as of 19th September, it continues to mention "students who lost their jobs as a result of pandemic", so I take it from this, nothing has essentially changed and those affected continue with entitlement.

Link here

https://www.gov.ie/en/service/be74d3-covid-19-pandemic-unemployment-payment/#how-to-qualify

Thank you Dempo1 It does seem straightforward when you read that, and other statements I've found on various Revenue pages. However the Welfare have told my daughter that if she starts a college course she will lose the Pandemic Unemployment Payment, but I cannot find anything on an official website that backs that up.

It's very frustrating. We'd really like to know for sure. Thanks for your help.

Thank you Dempo1 It does seem straightforward when you read that, and other statements I've found on various Revenue pages. However the Welfare have told my daughter that if she starts a college course she will lose the Pandemic Unemployment Payment, but I cannot find anything on an official website that backs that up.

It's very frustrating. We'd really like to know for sure. Thanks for your help.

There is alot of ambiguity regarding this and with all that's going on with government at the moment, latest Covid-19 cases, will they, will they not reinstate the higher payment etc.

As snowflake hss said correctly , normally a student returning too or starting full time course etc, wouldn't qualify for a SW payment however PUP is a unique payment. My best advice is wait and see if students are contacted directly, don't forget, there's many students who did and indeed may depend of part time work and that's going to be a continuing challenge.

It's my experience to watch for customers notices on the DEASP website and in particular check dates updated etc :)

Dempo1 Thank you so much, this is really helpful, I will do that. Thank you for taking the time to reply to me, I really appreciate it.

Dempo1 Thank you so much, this is really helpful, I will do that. Thank you for taking the time to reply to me, I really appreciate it.

No problem at all, I know its an anxious time, good luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Aquals

What happens to your PUP if you get one day of employment? How do you notify social welfare? Do you have to cancel your PUP and then restart it? Would you even qualify for the PUP if applying after this one contracted day of work?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement