Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government Benefits Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭mogilvie

Aquals wrote: »
    What happens to your PUP if you get one day of employment? How do you notify social welfare? Do you have to cancel your PUP and then restart it? Would you even qualify for the PUP if applying after this one contracted day of work?

Thanks in advance!

At the moment you are not entitled to PUP if you are employed. It's an unemployment payment.

(EDIT) Just for completeness, the link the Citizens Information on Returning To Work.
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/covid19_pandemic_unemployment_payment.html#lacb5a

You're supposed to notify DEASP that you're in employment via mywelfare.ie as soon as you start work.

The Revenue and DEASP share information and will cancel PUP and seek to reclaim the duplicated payments from those who are in receipt of both.

You can now come on and off PUP as your employment status changes. The government has recently extended the period that people can join PUP.

There is currently discussion about making PUP more of a support rather than an unemployment benefit. So that people can undertake some work without affecting their PUP payment. Although there has been nothing issued on that yet.

Regards,

Mark
    Parolla

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

What happens to your PUP if you get one day of employment? How do you notify social welfare? Do you have to cancel your PUP and then restart it? Would you even qualify for the PUP if applying after this one contracted day of work?

Thanks in advance!

Very Tricky, whilst I understand self employed are permitted to take odd jobs, small projects etc without their PUP being impacted, I'm not seeing anything that covers PAYE workers. Whilst gaining one days pay is no gaurentee of a full return to work, my gut feeling is wouldn't impact on your PUP payment. I guess ask the question of SW on the 1800 number listed, if it's a case you have to close and restart PUP it would be a nightmare and you'll have to weigh what's financially prudent for you.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Aquals

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Very Tricky, whilst I understand self employed are permitted to take odd jobs, small projects etc without their PUP being impacted, I'm not seeing anything that covers PAYE workers. Whilst gaining one days pay is no gaurentee of a full return to work, my gut feeling is wouldn't impact on your PUP payment. I guess ask the question of SW on the 1800 number listed, if it's a case you have to close and restart PUP it would be a nightmare and you'll have to weigh what's financially prudent for you.

Thanks for this Dempo1. I agree that closing and restarting PUP within one day of each other would be a nightmare, especially as I potentially wouldn’t be classed as having lost my job when reapplying after this one day of work. Thanks for your thoughts anyway!

Thanks for this Dempo1. I agree that closing and restarting PUP within one day of each other would be a nightmare, especially as I potentially wouldn’t be classed as having lost my job when reapplying after this one day of work. Thanks for your thoughts anyway!

Mark is correct about being able to reapply but one day's work concerns me, wording is everything with SW and whilst they re invite second claims etc, I just wonder would one days work cut it in terms of criteria, just be cautious etc and weigh out what's financially sensible for you. It is terrible that the current criteria for PAYE workers does not incentify part time or occasional work. Good luck with your decision :)

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

Up to June/July, the PUP system was only capable of making weekly payments. So if you closed your claim and reapplied after a day, you would still lose the full week payment.

I dont know if they have changed it since then, but you should definately contact DEASP before doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

mogilvie wrote: »
    There is currently discussion about making PUP more of a support rather than an unemployment benefit. So that people can undertake some work without affecting their PUP payment. Although there has been nothing issued on that yet.

It may come in in the budget according to Martin so I guess we'll know then. https://www.thejournal.ie/micheal-martin-interview-thejournal-covid-dublin-5211430-Sep2020/?utm_source=shortlink

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/students-24m-covid-pup-payment-is-under-threat-hkcgx66ps

Can't see the full article but students still entitled to claim it seems like, but they are thinking of shafting us once again. Applied for yet another job recently and got nowhere. *Sigh*

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/students-24m-covid-pup-payment-is-under-threat-hkcgx66ps

Can't see the full article but students still entitled to claim it seems like, but they are thinking of shafting us once again. Applied for yet another job recently and got nowhere. *Sigh*

I guess it was inevitable they'd look at students but there's alot of flak in all main newspapers today about government advisors and PUP cuts, there's also a number of government TD'S kicking up a fuss so fingers crossed with all the heat being poured on, they might leave it alone (hopefully) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Back to square one again

Will they reinstate the covid payment for everyone effected by level 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Is the wage subsidy still going or is it just the pup? No mention yesterday or how we are supposed to pay bills. I'm proper fuming the last 2 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Curlysue76

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Back to square one again

Will they reinstate the covid payment for everyone effected by level 3

The Pup are a still open until the end of the year for new applications, they’ve lowered the rate though from €350 to €300, €250 or €200 I believe depending on what you previously earned.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭mogilvie

bush wrote: »
    Is the wage subsidy still going or is it just the pup? No mention yesterday or how we are supposed to pay bills. I'm proper fuming the last 2 days.

The Temporary Wage Subsidy Scheme - a support paid to employees through the employers pay roll finished at the end of August.

The current assistance methods are:

the PUP, for those laid off or unable to work due to covid. The rate per week is reduced to 203 or 250 depending on your previous weekly equivalent wage.

If you're still working but at reduced hours then Short Time Work Support is available. The rate is 40.6 per day depending on the reduced days and your circumstances.

The Employment Wage Subsidy Scheme - a subsidy for employers who retain and continue to pay employees while at reduced turnover due to covid is current. The employee wages are subsidised by 151.50 or 203 per week depending on the employees gross pay.

Best wishes
    Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭GaryByrne

I'm hoping someone can help me with a question I have

I'm currently set to start the BTWEA scheme in a week
    My worry is if we go into another lockdown and my business is affected or halted, will I be eligible for any benefit along with the €203 btwea payment? As I can't run a business with €203 a week

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Phenom80

Hi,
    Out of work since Tuesday isolating and had a covid test Tuesday evening.I work full time and work contacted me that I have to apply for social welfare assistance for days that I'm isolating... Anyone know forms needed or the process?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

Phenom80 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Out of work since Tuesday isolating and had a covid test Tuesday evening.I work full time and work contacted me that I have to apply for social welfare assistance for days that I'm isolating... Anyone know forms needed or the process?

Best way is set up a mywelfare account, Google search and apply for what's called enhanced illness benefit, you'll need either a cert from gp, text or some form of confirmation of test and self isolation. To set up mywelfare account if you don't have one, you'll need valid email address and mobile phone to hand for verifications etc., also Google enhanced illness benifit for more details etc

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭GreenGrass2019

GaryByrne wrote: »
    I'm hoping someone can help me with a question I have

I'm currently set to start the BTWEA scheme in a week
    My worry is if we go into another lockdown and my business is affected or halted, will I be eligible for any benefit along with the €203 btwea payment? As I can't run a business with €203 a week

You can claim the PUP in addition to BTWEA if your business cannot trade due to the pandemic.

Alternatively delay your start date for BTWEA if this is a better alternative in light of current circumstances!

Best way is set up a mywelfare account, Google search and apply for what's called enhanced illness benefit, you'll need either a cert from gp, text or some form of confirmation of test and self isolation. To set up mywelfare account if you don't have one, you'll need valid email address and mobile phone to hand for verifications etc., also Google enhanced illness benifit for more details etc
    Cheers

I applied online this morning and called my doc to send an e cert to illness benefit so wait and see

Phenom80 wrote: »
    I applied online this morning and called my doc to send an e cert to illness benefit so wait and see

You'll be fine, best way to apply, good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

I had to apply for covid sick payment while I had to self isolate for a test and the results. My employer has asked me to tell them how much I get paid and they will deduct that from my wages but that doesn't make any sense to me. Surely my employer should just deduct any days I missed from my wages and not the value of how much I received from social welfare.

Had a reapply again for the covid as I'm back on temp layoff

Found the application a little different for some reason. Had too put in my bank account details

Sure look if there's something wrong they will contact me. Such a pain having to go back on it but could work out better off

Beekay wrote: »
    I had to apply for covid sick payment while I had to self isolate for a test and the results. My employer has asked me to tell them how much I get paid and they will deduct that from my wages but that doesn't make any sense to me. Surely my employer should just deduct any days I missed from my wages and not the value of how much I received from social welfare.

Absolute nonsense, enhanced illness benefit has nothing to do with your employer or wages. You'll need to apply directly, see my previous post on how to do it. There's a set amount paid per day losr, I can't be exact but it's around €40 per day SW don't match your wages, ludicrous advice from. Employer I'm afraid.

Had a reapply again for the covid as I'm back on temp layoff

Found the application a little different for some reason. Had too put in my bank account details

Sure look if there's something wrong they will contact me. Such a pain having to go back on it but could work out better off

Bank account details were always part of the process? I know you used to be able to get it via post office but perhaps not anymore. Sorry to hear your back on it, they are estimating 50k will apply this week alone.

Bank account details were always part of the process? I know you used to be able to get it via post office but perhaps not anymore. Sorry to hear your back on it, they are estimating 50k will apply this week alone.

The government have themselves too blame for it

The government have themselves too blame for it

Hard to know who's to blame but sadly it is a mess really

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

hi applied for pup last friday . Is it this friday I WILL RECIEVE payment ?

hi applied for pup last friday . Is it this friday I WILL RECIEVE payment ?

No, payments processed for electronic transfer to bank accounts on Tuesday mornings. I'm guessing your application wasn't looked at until Monday. Have you checked its been awarded? Payment is a week in arrears and can take a few days to be processed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Phil.x

We are being put on 20hrs for the foreseeable future, am I right in thinking that the employer pays us the 20hrs and we claim a percentage of the €204 per week, someone told me we probably can claim the full €204 plus 20hrs?

• Advertisement

Phil.x wrote: »
    We are being put on 20hrs for the foreseeable future, am I right in thinking that the employer pays us the 20hrs and we claim a percentage of the €204 per week, someone told me we probably can claim the full €204 plus 20hrs?

Not quite, you may be mixing up EWSS and reduced hours. If your employer is reducing your hours, you will have to claim lost days from social welfare by the sounds of it. Basically if your working reduced hours you can claim a maximum of 3 days from SW, However the rate per day is around €40. SW don't match your wages. The €204 you refer too is actually €203 and equates to the maximum EWSS payable to employer but only iff employee retained fully or €203 is the maximum JSA payable if fully unemployed. Ironically and depending on salary PUP rates are higher but you have to be fully laid off to get that.

Search reduced working hours on DEASP website for more info.

https://www.gov.ie/en/service/c20e1b-short-time-work-support/

Advertisement