Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government Benefits Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Crustycat

Hi!

Another question that hopefully fits here. I'm on my second year of BTWEA at 75% and also recieving €203 COVID payment. Is this correct? My business has dried up completely for the foreseeable future but I'm trying to get back on my feet for after Christmas. Also, is it still possible to claim grants for new equipment or advertising through the BTWEA scheme still?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Crustycat wrote: »
    Hi!

Another question that hopefully fits here. I'm on my second year of BTWEA at 75% and also recieving €203 COVID payment. Is this correct? My business has dried up completely for the foreseeable future but I'm trying to get back on my feet for after Christmas. Also, is it still possible to claim grants for new equipment or advertising through the BTWEA scheme still?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

You are entitled to have both payments from what I can assertain however the Grants question a little more complex and may require you contacting whomever you deal with regarding the BTWEA scheme

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

So I have been refused the covid payment because I'm on Xs & Os but I am out of work cause of the level 3

How do I appeal as I think I have a valid reason for it ?

PTH2009 wrote: »
    So I have been refused the covid payment because I'm on Xs & Os but I am out of work cause of the level 3

How do I appeal as I think I have a valid reason for it ?

This is curious, if it's a case your out re level 3 would you not just get 5 days X & 0"s?, the problem with PUP is you can't be on any other benefit as such

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭maria11

Hi, my daughter just started to work in July so she has only paid a few weeks of prsa. She has been rejected covid payment today because she has no records of prsa in 2019. Is this correct?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭mogilvie

maria11 wrote: »
    Hi, my daughter just started to work in July so she has only paid a few weeks of prsa. She has been rejected covid payment today because she has no records of prsa in 2019. Is this correct?

It doesn't sound correct, based in the info you have stated. See citizens advice.

Citizens information link here.

Eligible if:
      Have lost your job or been laid off because of COVID-19 AND
    • Be aged between 18 and 66
    • Live in the Republic of Ireland
    • Have been in employment or self-employment in Ireland on or after 13 March 2020
    • Be genuinely seeking work
    • Not be getting any income from employment

Has she received payslips from her employment in July, and do they show any PRSI payments made against them?

See @Dempo1 response below
    Link to relevent page here:

PUP was initially paid to anyone who lost their Jobs re pandemic in March last, it was not means tested. The eligibility has now changed and they assess earnings from 2018 and or earnings for Jan & Feb 2019.if your daughter was not earning in these times she won't qualify, I'm sorry to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Dempo1 wrote: »
    PUP was initially paid to anyone who lost their Jobs re pandemic in March last, it was not means tested. The eligibility has now changed and they assess earnings from 2018 and or earnings for Jan & Feb 2019.if your daughter was not earning in these times she won't qualify, I'm sorry to say.

Is it not assess earning from 2019, and or jan and feb 2020?

"If you are an employee, we will examine your average gross weekly earnings in 2019, and compare it to your average gross weekly earnings in January and February 2020."

mogilvie wrote: »
    It doesn't sound correct, based in the info you have stated. See citizens advice.

Eligible if:

Has she received payslips from her employment in July, and do they show any PRSI payments made against them?

I'm afraid if daughter only commenced work in July, it's not relevant to the eligibility criteria. It is ridiculous as they agreed to extend payment and allow new claims but have not by all accounts changed the original eligibility criteria. Basically I read the situation as being if you have no proof of earnings from 2019 and or Jan /Feb 2020 you don't qualify? Crazy but I coukd be wrong

Eligible if:

See @Dempo1 response below.
    Yes she has all her payslips. But they told her it was denied because she has not record of prsa payments from last year

• Advertisement

"If you are an employee, we will examine your average gross weekly earnings in 2019, and compare it to your average gross weekly earnings in January and February 2020."

Apologies typo

Yes she has all her payslips. But they told her it was denied because she has not record of prsa payments from last year

Sadly if she doesn't have any payment, wage history from 2019, she won't qualify, I'm sorry but that seems to be the eligibility criteria

Hello by the way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Hello by the way :)

Hello! :) Haha I'm like a constant reader of this thread just incase somebody mentions a change

Sadly if she doesn't have any payment, wage history from 2019, she won't qualify, I'm sorry but that seems to be the eligibility criteria

She is so upset because she deferred college until next year so she could work and earn money and she was told at work to apply for the PUP

Hello! :) Haha I'm like a constant reader of this thread just incase somebody mentions a change

I get notifications and try help when I can, I see another 23k went on PUP this week. The budget tomorrow may see some news on eligibility, so good to keep an eye out :) keep smiling

She is so upset because she deferred college until next year so she could work and earn money and she was told at work to apply for the PUP

It's appalling and I'm sorry to hear this. There is some hints of eligibility changes in budget tommorow but I think it's more to do with self employed etc. It's not ideal but would your daughter qualify for JSA in the interim, I know its a pain but it's something, again, sorry but I don't like to give false hope, I'm not an expert but have followed pandemic entitlements closely over the past few months and try to advise honestly when and if I can. Take care and look at JSA as a possible option but keep in mind if your daughter living at home she will be means tested. Good look

It's appalling and I'm sorry to hear this. There is some hints of eligibility changes in budget tommorow but I think it's more to do with self employed etc. It's not ideal but would your daughter qualify for JSA in the interim, I know its a pain but it's something, again, sorry but I don't like to give false hope, I'm not an expert but have followed pandemic entitlements closely over the past few months and try to advise honestly when and if I can. Take care and look at JSA as a possible option but keep in mind if your daughter living at home she will be means tested. Good look
    Hopefully she will go back to work in a few weeks time. Thank you for all you replies

This is curious, if it's a case your out re level 3 would you not just get 5 days X & 0"s?, the problem with PUP is you can't be on any other benefit as such

Last March I was on Xs and Os and was temporarily lay off and I applied and received the covid payment. My Xs and Os claim was suspended for that time. When I returned too work in August I went back on the Xs and Os claim and then when level 3 happened last week was back on temporarily layoff

The problem is id be on less with the xs and os as I would not be getting paid from my employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭mogilvie

Link to the relevant gov.ie page here.

• Advertisement

Link to the relevant gov.ie page here.

Thanks, yes This has been explained fully to the OP

I am livid about this decison and my stress levels are gone through the roof as a result

I feel there going to brush off my appeal and ill be receiving less money a week compared to my other colleagues. With the promise of no back payment either :(

Last March I was on Xs and Os and was temporarily lay off and I applied and received the covid payment. My Xs and Os claim was suspended for that time. When I returned too work in August I went back on the Xs and Os claim and then when level 3 happened last week was back on temporarily layoff

The problem is id be on less with the xs and os as I would not be getting paid from my employer.

The eligibility criteria has completely changed since March, as explained in various posts. Originally there was no means testing and little questions etc. Now and for quite some time your earnings from the year 2019 and or Jan Feb 2020 are assessed to assertain payments, amount and eligibility. In addition, you can't be on any other SW benefit as albeit some such medical benefits exempted I believe.

If you had taxable earnings in 2019 and or Jan/Feb Payment assessed on this but my guess is your existing JSA x&Os may be the issue. Did they give you a reason as to decline? This should explain the issue?

The eligibility criteria has completely changed since March, as explained in various posts. Originally there was no means testing and little questions etc. Now and for quite some time your earnings from the year 2019 and or Jan Feb 2020 are assessed to assertain payments, amount and eligibility. In addition, you can't be on any other SW benefit as albeit some such medical benefits exempted I believe.

If you had taxable earnings in 2019 and or Jan/Feb Payment assessed on this but my guess is your existing JSA x&Os may be the issue. Did they give you a reason as to decline? This should explain the issue?

Yeah i was refused cause i'm Jobseekers Allowance/Xs and Os but i won't be receiving any employment income from when i was temp laid off last week

I used the twitter helpline earlier explaining that i have been left go temp and what to do regarding submitting my forms etc. They told me to email my local office to explain and i did that. From the twitter conversation i got this

Hi XXXX, you should fill out your forms up until the 7th as your pandemic unemployment claim will be starting on the 8th. Many thanks, CM.

Hi xxxx, yes. And you can notify your local Intreo centre of the change in circumstances so you can move to the pandemic unemployment scheme.

I also have a letter from my employment stating ill be eligible for the covid payment.

sorry for ranting but this is so stressful for me

Yeah i was refused cause i'm Jobseekers Allowance/Xs and Os but i won't be receiving any employment income from when i was temp laid off last week

I used the twitter helpline earlier explaining that i have been left go temp and what to do regarding submitting my forms etc. They told me to email my local office to explain and i did that. From the twitter conversation i got this

Hi XXXX, you should fill out your forms up until the 7th as your pandemic unemployment claim will be starting on the 8th. Many thanks, CM.

Hi xxxx, yes. And you can notify your local Intreo centre of the change in circumstances so you can move to the pandemic unemployment scheme.

I also have a letter from my employment stating ill be eligible for the covid payment.

sorry for ranting but this is so stressful for me

Rant away, that's part of getting advice. The employers letter sadly is meaningless, so it's clear the issue is the x & o issue which makes me wonder why won't they allow you sign for 5 days rather than what you were signing? I appreciate it is less than PUP but don't forget that too has reduced and is based on those earnings I mentioned. The highest amount is now €300 but you had to be earning more than that to qualify, then €250 if you earned less than €300 and finally €203 if you earned less again.

Unless you had taxable earnings that can be assessed for the entire year 2019 and or jan /Feb 2020, you won't qualify and keep on mind if you did have earnings, the PUP if approved will be based on those earnings.

I think the quickest solution is signing 5 days and maybe speak directly to local intero centre.

Rant away, that's part of getting advice. The employers letter sadly is meaningless, so it's clear the issue is the x & o issue which makes me wonder why won't they allow you sign for 5 days rather than what you were signing? I appreciate it is less than PUP but don't forget that too has reduced and is based on those earnings I mentioned. The highest amount is now €300 but you had to be earning more than that to qualify, then €250 if you earned less than €300 and finally €203 if you earned less again.

Unless you had taxable earnings that can be assessed for the entire year 2019 and or jan /Feb 2020, you won't qualify and keep on mind if you did have earnings, the PUP if approved will be based on those earnings.

I think the quickest solution is signing 5 days and maybe speak directly to local intero centre.

yeah ill deff go in tomorrow and have a chat. Im been in the part time employment since 2008 so i will have the revenue earnings from last year.

I was on the €350 at the start and when the rates changed

yeah ill deff go in tomorrow and have a chat. Im been in the part time employment since 2008 so i will have the revenue earnings from last year.

I was on the €350 at the start and when the rates changed

I presume the payment reduced to €300? If this is correct you had ample earnings, it's the x & 0"s that are the issue, I'm sure it will be resolved, good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I see they are discussing if those recently unemployed on pup should get christmas bonus. While throwing it out to the long term unemployed wasters, vintage ireland. I think the cost is only 200,000,000 a year though.... cant think of any area it could do better work... icu capacity etc over the last decade! Banana republic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I see they are discussing if those recently unemployed on pup should get christmas bonus. While throwing it out to the long term unemployed wasters, vintage ireland. I think the cost is only 200,000,000 a year though.... cant think of any area it could do better work... icu capacity etc over the last decade! Banana republic

Everyone on social welfare PUP etc will get Christmas bonus .
    The only people who won’t get the bonus are those working.

• Advertisement

Idbatterim wrote: »

And the point your raising is?

Advertisement