Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government Benefits Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

rgossip30 wrote: »
    You can call this hear say . I was told that PUP payments can be claimed from abroad from those who have former PPS numbers . There is no check on the PPS number and that the person is actually in Ireland !! The letters sent out from the DSP to the given address signatures can be forged by a friend or relative here .

Waterford whispers I'm afraid. It's true to say at the start there were few checks given the emergency but now, not only is PRSI number checked, the payment is based on previous earnings. I'm also sure spot checks done on with employers etc, Both SW & Revenue sharing Data. Anyone who attempted this at the start may of got away with it for a period of time.

Also no letters were sent out at the start, not sure if that's still the case.

Sadly there's always going to be Guttersnipes abusing the system.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Sorry if asked already. My dad was on covid payment. Job was back so came off it. He has now turned 66 and since level 3 started is out of work again. Terminology has me confused. It says the payment is available to anyone out of work due to covid aged 18-66. Dad thinks he can't claim as he's now 66. Rang citizens advice and gentleman said same. When I asked if an 18 can claim he said yes. But 66 can't. I said it says 18-66 which seems inclusive to me. So long story short does eligibility stop the day you turn 66 or the day you turn 67?

Thank you in advance if anyone has the definite answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Dempo1 wrote:
    Sorry to hear about your dad's situation, unfortunately your reading of eligibility is correct, if he's turned 66 he won't qualify. With greater checks now in place, it's likely if he applies, his age may be flagged.

Dempo1 wrote:
    The fact he's been on it before just might and only just might get him back on without too many questions.

Dempo1 wrote:
    He has two options.

Dempo1 wrote:
    A. Just apply and see what happens, the worst that can happen is a decline, he'll have an answer in a few days, keep in mind, don't count weekends.

Dempo1 wrote:
    B. Apply for JSA/JSB. which he would be entitled too albeit less than PUP.

Dempo1 wrote:
    Unfortunately JSA/JSB could take a few weeks to be approved.

Dempo1 wrote:
    Sorry I can't offer better advice but good luck to him.

Thank you so much. Dad is straight down the line. If he's not entitled he won't apply. Thanks all the same. We'll work something out.

Thank you so much. Dad is straight down the line. If he's not entitled he won't apply. Thanks all the same. We'll work something out.

Real pity re his age but at the very least he should contact them and ask the question.

Good luck regardless :)

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭doc22

There's no JSA/JSB at 66, he should be applying for the relevant state pension which will paid whether he works or not if contributory based

• Advertisement

doc22 wrote: »
    There's no JSA/JSB at 66, he should be applying for the relevant state pension which will paid whether he works or not if contributory based

Your completely right, he is pension age which I missed completely, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kerrycork13

Looking for a bit of advice.

Was on community employment scheme for over a year ending in September as a health care assistant. In April 2020 due to a number of colleagues either refusing or unable to work due to covid.

I volunteered to work on and also was employed separately by the company aside from my community employment payment .

I have since started in back to education allowance as I'm starting year 1 of mental health nursing and as a result cannot do the extra work due to work placements in hospital settings etc.

Would I be entitled to the pup payment as a result of this?

Was on community employment scheme for over a year ending in September as a health care assistant. In April 2020 due to a number of colleagues either refusing or unable to work due to covid.

I volunteered to work on and also was employed separately by the company aside from my community employment payment .

I have since started in back to education allowance as I'm starting year 1 of mental health nursing and as a result cannot do the extra work due to work placements in hospital settings etc.

NO

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kerrycork13

doc22 wrote: »
    NO

Fair enough . Can you explain why by any chance?

Fair enough . Can you explain why by any chance?

PUP is for those who lost jobs due to Covid not because they started a course

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

For anyone who was rejected for PUP, how long were you waiting for the rejection?

I reapplied last Thursday after being on it from March til the end of September, I haven't heard anything back yet, positive or negative. I'm hoping that no news = good news and there will be a payment in my account on Tuesday.

For anyone who was rejected for PUP, how long were you waiting for the rejection?

I reapplied last Thursday after being on it from March til the end of September, I haven't heard anything back yet, positive or negative. I'm hoping that no news = good news and there will be a payment in my account on Tuesday.

I'm guessing you'd have found out by now if there was any issue. You mentioned you reapplied last Thursday, it would certainly take a few days to be processed. Can you see any activity on your mywelfare account?, it seems there is little or no notification on acceptance so no news is good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

Is the PUP payment reduced still to €300 per week? That’s quite a difference from the last time and especially at a more expensive time of year

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »
    Is the PUP payment reduced still to €300 per week? That’s quite a difference from the last time and especially at a more expensive time of year

Not sure what you mean by last time? Apart from those who earned less than €199 pw there's only been one cut to the higher rate to €300, which is what it continues to be. On the upside there is the Christmas bonus albeit not clarified is it equal to your PUP payment or standard SW payment of €203

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean by last time? Apart from those who earned less than €199 pw there's only been one cut to the higher rate to €300, which is what it continues to be. On the upside there is the Christmas bonus albeit not clarified is it equal to your PUP payment or standard SW payment of €203

I mean people that went off and are not going to be forced back onto it- it’ll be €300 now not €350?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Dempo1 wrote: »
    I'm guessing you'd have found out by now if there was any issue. You mentioned you reapplied last Thursday, it would certainly take a few days to be processed. Can you see any activity on your mywelfare account?, it seems there is little or no notification on acceptance so no news is good news.

Just a message on mywelfare last Friday saying it had been received and was awaiting review. Nothing since then.

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »
    I mean people that went off and are not going to be forced back onto it- it’ll be €300 now not €350?

Not going to be forced? Do you mean those reapplying for a second time? If so yes, maximum amount is €300.

Just a message on mywelfare last Friday saying it had been received and was awaiting review. Nothing since then.

I'd say you'll be OK, they are quick to notify of a decline, not so quick or indeed have not notified of acceptance. With a week passed I'm guessing all fine, fingers crossed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭GreenGrass2019

Crustycat wrote: »
    Hi!

Another question that hopefully fits here. I'm on my second year of BTWEA at 75% and also recieving €203 COVID payment. Is this correct? My business has dried up completely for the foreseeable future but I'm trying to get back on my feet for after Christmas. Also, is it still possible to claim grants for new equipment or advertising through the BTWEA scheme still?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Yes - correct, you're entitled to both payments as you're currently unable to trade due to Covid-19 however with the new changes to PUP brought in under the Budget ... you can now earn up to €480 gross per month without losing either payment.

on the grants .. proceed as you would have done so, the process is very slow and its not helped by all the restrictions currently in place getting all the xyz you need to complete the applications ... contact your case officer to get the ball rolling ...
    there is no need to hold off because you're not trading currently ... I had the same scenario and apart from the length of time it took , it all got done ...

• Registered Users Posts: 8 SweetLeaf

Hi, I really would appreciate some advice on my current situation which is quite tricky.

I started a new job on September 21st, after being out of work for 2 years. The new job paid monthly and I missed September's payroll meaning I was not due to get any wage until October 28 (Wednesday week). I simply couldn't be without any income for 6 whole weeks as in addition to regular bills/rent I had to buy a uniform including leather dress shoes, dress shirts and trousers and belt, so I have still been collecting my jobseekers payment in the meantime with the intent to pay it back when started getting paid from work.

Before anyone says 'that's fraud' etc I had a similar situation the last time I started work and was basically advised by the social welfare office to do it that way as there is no other way to transition from the dole to work without leaving you stuck on no income until you get paid. That was just for a few weeks though and I had no idea we would go into lockdown again.

I live in a border county which was already under level 4 and my place of employment was considered essential under Level 4. But today we were told we can only open for emergencies only and will be shut after Wednesday for level 5.

As it stands I have not signed off the dole, I had planned to do that this week as I finally get paid next week, though I will be emergency taxed so only will get about 60% of the wages earned.

I'm worried now that I am stuck in limbo, I don't know what payment I should be applying for or what to do. I imagine I can't qualify for the PUP as I haven't signed off, and perhaps haven't been working long enough to get it. If my employer didnt leave me waiting 6 weeks to get paid I'd have signed off already, now I'm afraid that if I do I'll be without any payment for a long period again and I'll be unable to use my wages to pay back the 6 weeks of dole I picked up, as I will need that to keep me going until level 5 is over. Like many people I feel pretty screwed and the uncertainty is not a nice feeling.

I'm aware there is also the employer assistance scheme through the government, perhaps my employer will put me on this? I feel like I screwed up so bad but I wasn't trying to do anything wrong I just couldn't go 6 weeks without any income, when you're long term unemployed there isn't exactly a pile of money sitting there to allow you to wait 6 weeks for a paycheck.

If anyone has any advice I'd be grateful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Crustycat

I don’t know if this applies here - please remove it if not. I’ve posted a some large thread anyway. But my head is wrecked.

Ok... so sorry this is a long one and I hope it gets a decent response because I am at my wits end. I was approached by a letting agent after I was in the running for a property that I didn’t get. She showed me a property not yet on the market for myself and my son and honestly it was lovely. HAP didn’t seem to put her off. I’ve been approved in principle (as in I’m on the housing list). Anyway I’ve paid my deposit and first months rent and can afford to pay until HAP kicks in, possibly even longer as my earnings are ok. Anyway I was promised the keys today if I paid the first month (deposit is already paid) and came in to sign the lease early because of all this covid crap. Anyway after I did all that she told me she wasn’t going to give me the keys until I was approved for HAP despite knowing I can pay. She also knows I only have 3 weeks left on my lease. The lease I signed today is for the 1st of Nov. I’m currently sending in her half of the application when I told her I already sent my part in in an email. She keeps chopping and changing and doesn’t listen to me. I want the house but now I’ve given her the only chance I have of getting a gaff as my lease is up where I am. She also wanted me to register for bills before I moved in but I don’t want to as I don’t live there yet. I know HAP applications are taking a while at the moment but I’m prepared and able to pay for at least 3 months. What should I do? Is there any way to get proof from HAP once I’m approved or what should I do? I’m scared she won’t give me my money back. I literally burst into tears

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Mutant

Hi
    Like alot of people i will unfortunately have to be getting this payment for the next 6 weeks. This will be the first time I have received the payment and was wondering if anyone who has gotten it recently could explain how it works.
    Like i applied today on the revenue site and got tge notification that they received it, how long does it take to get a confirmation on being awarded it and how long before actually receiving it,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

Mutant wrote: »
    Hi
    Like alot of people i will unfortunately have to be getting this payment for the next 6 weeks. This will be the first time I have received the payment and was wondering if anyone who has gotten it recently could explain how it works.
    Like i applied today on the revenue site and got tge notification that they received it, how long does it take to get a confirmation on being awarded it and how long before actually receiving it,

It will be in your account next week. You may or may not get confirmation. Depends on how busy they are. I got no confirmation last time but the money was there every week.until I signed off it. Best of luck

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 253 ✭✭Xtrail14

They are refusing pup to people who don’t have the criteria e.g genuine application. It’s not like at start of pandemic where people who were on the rock and roll all their lives and got the pup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Its pretty straight forward and should be in your account on Tuesday. Last time I applied I didnt get any notification the money just hit.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭figrolls123

Just changed jobseekers to bank payment. I got an email on Monday saying it had been updated and payments are on Thursdays but no payment in the bank account today. Does anyone know how long it usually takes to change over?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭wiz569

Just changed jobseekers to bank payment. I got an email on Monday saying it had been updated and payments are on Thursdays but no payment in the bank account today. Does anyone know how long it usually takes to change over?

Can take a week or so, keep collecting in post office until it gets sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,790 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Sorry if it's been asked, but was a date given for the restoration of the €350?

• Advertisement

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Sorry if it's been asked, but was a date given for the restoration of the €350?

If your lucky enough, payments issued on 27th :)

Advertisement