Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government Benefits Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭runningbuddy

Hi folks. I was receiving covid payment from July. I started a new job on 1 September last. Hi went onto mywelfare.ie on that date to stop covid payment. It appears to have stopped but only for 2 weeks. I checked my AIB online banking and it appears that covid payment resumed after 2 weeks. I’m now in receipt of least 7 weeks which I shouldn’t be.

I know I should have noticed but the new job is a struggle and loads of personal crap going on at the minute. No excuse, totally my bad folks

I’m panicking now. Obviously I’ll pay back the overpayment. Going to try to get through to someone in Revenue tomorrow and explain but will I be further penalised??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Hi folks. I was receiving covid payment from July. I started a new job on 1 September last. Hi went onto mywelfare.ie on that date to stop covid payment. It appears to have stopped but only for 2 weeks. I checked my AIB online banking and it appears that covid payment resumed after 2 weeks. I’m now in receipt of least 7 weeks which I shouldn’t be.

I know I should have noticed but the new job is a struggle and loads of personal crap going on at the minute. No excuse, totally my bad folks

I’m panicking now. Obviously I’ll pay back the overpayment. Going to try to get through to someone in Revenue tomorrow and explain but will I be further penalised??

Revenue won't be of much help to you.

Call social welfare

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

I doubt there’ll be any repercussions, you’ll be asked to pay it back and likely able to spread it over a period of time so don’t stress yourself.

Just make contact as quick as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭doc22

Close the claim again and wait till DEASP come looking for over payment. Not your fault. The way PUP is been paid they mightn't no come looking. PUP is nothing to do with Revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

They can hardly penalise you when it wasn't your fault you started receiving the payment again.

I wouldn't stress over it too much, you stopped the payment when you started the new job. That's all you should have been expected to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭MLC_biker

Ring COVID Helpline 1890 800 024 or your local SocialWelfare Intreo office, they can tell you how to repay. Don't panic, it's happened to other people. FYI work as a temporary Clerical officer in DEASP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

VG31 wrote: »
    They can hardly penalise you when it wasn't your fault you started receiving the payment again.

I wouldn't stress over it too much, you stopped the payment when you started the new job. That's all you should have been expected to do.

Honesty is the best policy - can you send an email explaining that this has happened and ask that the payments be stopped and how to repay the difference? Same thing happened a family member so I don’t think it will be too unusual. As its coming into his bank account questions will be asked if s/he’s caught why s/he did not declare it back to them. Worth watching when the time comes to pay the tax on the covid payment - revenue will be involved in that not just social welfare and they can really f*** you over with interest and penalties. Better now rhan run the risk of all that. You will have to pay it back anyway - don’t have revenue having you on their special interest list or checking you out for years to come. Bad business that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

There’s a section on gov.ie on how to repay...
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/858d89-how-to-repay-pandemic-unemployment-payment-if-received-in-error/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,712 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

doc22 wrote: »
    Close the claim again and wait till DEASP come looking for over payment. Not your fault. The way PUP is been paid they mightn't no come looking. PUP is nothing to do with Revenue.

OP, this is the one piece to ignore. Do not forget about it until DEASP come looking for it. As others suggest, just make contact. It's no big deal, nothing unusual and easily sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭AlphaDelta1

Why are you panicking OP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

VG31 wrote: »

Well it would also be expected of you to contact them again once you notice you're still in receipt of it...

Why are you panicking OP

I guess I am worried they will ask why it took so long for me to notice. I emailed local INTREO office today and also went online and cancelled so I won't get any further payment. Now, to pay it all back :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,568 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Don’t panic.

Ring SW and make arrangements to repay. You will be able to stretch out payments if needed.

Last overpayment I dealt with i was able to arrange a €20/week schedule

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Godeatsboogers

You contact the social welfare and explain the situation and have the money ready to be returned and there wont any problems whatsoever.

_Brian wrote: »
    Don’t panic.

Ring SW and make arrangements to repay. You will be able to stretch out payments if needed.

Last overpayment I dealt with i was able to arrange a €20/week schedule

Oh that's good. I was wondering how I was going to stump up a lump sum :pac:

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

lawred2 wrote: »
    Well it would also be expected of you to contact them again once you notice you're still in receipt of it...

I never said not to contact them again, I just said I wouldn't get too worked up over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Has anyone who was in receipt of PUP had their employer back date their bank holiday entitlements?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

jrosen wrote: »
    Has anyone who was in receipt of PUP had their employer back date their bank holiday entitlements?

Technically if you had not worked 40 hrs over a four week period prior to a bank holiday, the entitlement lost, I get the pandemic not employee's fault but I doubt many employers will pay bank holiday entitlement if as a result if lay off, the entitlement was not reached, I'm also sure there will be issues with holiday entitlements also.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Technically if you had not worked 40 hrs over a four week period prior to a bank holiday, the entitlement lost, I get the pandemic not employee's fault but I doubt many employers will pay bank holiday entitlement if as a result if lay off, the entitlement was not reached, I'm also sure there will be issues with holiday entitlements also.

Thank you,

I actually was unaware of it untill recently, have reached out to my employer so I will be back dated. Its 5 days pay for me so not a small amount.

I agree there will be some issues around annual leave.

• Advertisement

Thank you,

I actually was unaware of it untill recently, have reached out to my employer so I will be back dated. Its 5 days pay for me so not a small amount.

I agree there will be some issues around annual leave.

No problem :)

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭head82

Dempo1 wrote: »

I was under the impression that any bank holidays that occured within the first 13 weeks of lay off, the employee was entitled to payment for those days.

In my case, it's 4 days but I'm reluctant to claim them as I've been led to believe that any payment received from employer could affect PUP (if the employee is still in receipt of PUP which I still am).

However, if the OP has since returned to work I'm guessing it shouldn't be an issue.

head82 wrote: »
    I was under the impression that any bank holidays that occured within the first 13 weeks of lay off, the employee was entitled to payment for those days.

In my case, it's 4 days but I'm reluctant to claim them as I've been led to believe that any payment received from employer could affect PUP (if the employee is still in receipt of PUP which I still am).

However, if the OP has since returned to work I'm guessing it shouldn't be an issue.

The pandemic has thrown up so many issues and less publicised the affect on entitlements. You are completely correct re the 13 weeks, I was just pointing out what the normal entitlement would be.

The 13 weeks however only refers to those who've been temporarily laid off, not for example those fully let go within the 13 weeks.

The reason re the 13 week entitlement is a temp layoff does not affect your contract of emp, you remain employed as such.

You do raise an important issue re receiving any payments from an employer whilst on PUP, and based on a number of posts in Boards I strongly recommend holding off. SW request from Revenue, ongoing payroll info for anyone on PUP as part of their checks and a number of receipients recieved unexpected and ligitimate holiday, back payments etc from employers who were perhaps tidying up, doing end of year etc. These payments caused SW to contact PUP recieptients seeking explanation and I know of two PUP claims closed as a result. So just a word of caution.

Link below re bank holiday entitlement and PUP.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/public_holidays_in_ireland.html

I was concerned about that so will be paid once I return to work.

I was concerned about that so will be paid once I return to work.

Wise, good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 86,486 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is PUP being taxed now?

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is PUP being taxed now?

There's ongoing back and forth with government and revenue about this. Its likely a decision in January, regardless, don't panic, any assessments made will not mean a lump sum payment, it's more likely, if tax applicable it can be deducted over quite a long time and or taken from tax credits. As for TWSS and EWSS, tax is payable but again not figures on liability until January and again deducted over time.

Well it's official, PUP will be subject to income tax, it was always likely but there won't be any sudden tax demands and an extended period to pay it. Amounts to be determined in January.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is PUP being taxed now?
    Looks like it's not currently legal to tax it but they're going ahead and changing the law so they can charge people tax.

Nice people.

• Advertisement

I was on PUP earlier this year and again now. I noticed when I returned to work in June I was being deducted more than before. My work colleagues said the same. I assumed this was due to receiving the covid payment.

Advertisement