Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government Benefits Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

s1ippy wrote: »
    Looks like it's not currently legal to tax it but they're going ahead and changing the law so they can charge people tax.

Nice people.

The argument was that it was an exceptional means payment and not means tested meaning it wasn't liable to taxation which of course is correct but your also correct, government trying to ammend finance act which looks like its been agreed to proceed to day, there's still a chance it could go the legal route, I guess its all down to how determined opposition will be.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

jrosen wrote: »
    I was on PUP earlier this year and again now. I noticed when I returned to work in June I was being deducted more than before. My work colleagues said the same. I assumed this was due to receiving the covid payment.

No, that had nothing to do with PUP

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Dempo1 wrote: »
    The argument was that it was an exceptional means payment and not means tested meaning it wasn't liable to taxation which of course is correct but your also correct, government trying to ammend finance act which looks like its been agreed to proceed to day, there's still a chance it could go the legal route, I guess its all down to how determined opposition will be.
    I think the outcome will be: the government can do whatever they like, and screw everyone who they disadvantage along the way. The opposition are powerless and can do nothing, huge state pensions and a nice job in the finance sector for everyone involved and fuck the citizens of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

s1ippy wrote: »
    Looks like it's not currently legal to tax it but they're going ahead and changing the law so they can charge people tax.

Nice people.

All income is taxed.

Why should this be any different?

It will be tiny and payed back back over years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I started work last week after being on the PUP, I rang revenue today to enquire about my emergency tax and was told I wouldn't get it back until the end of the tax year as they have to wait for the PUP to be included. The lady on the phone said I could end up owing them money rather than get my emergency tax back.

• Advertisement

I started work last week after being on the PUP, I rang revenue today to enquire about my emergency tax and was told I wouldn't get it back until the end of the tax year as they have to wait for the PUP to be included. The lady on the phone said I could end up owing them money rather than get my emergency tax back.

Assuming you've started a new job, I can understand being on emergency tax but if returning to an existing job, you shouldn't be on emergency tax and I'd be questioning that of your employer.

That aside, I'd certainly be questioning any revenue official telling you this re PUP, it's actually extraordinary given the fact the possibility of taxing PUP was only agreed today but not, I believe actually voted ON yet and it may even be challenged, so how is a revenue official claiming they are awaiting pup to be included re repayment of your emergency tax? . Indeed even if they had a crystal ball, it is stated policy that pup recipients will be offered an extended period to repay or have liability taken from tax credits of 4 years being considered. It just seems an extraordinary thing to say. I wonder can you email them, seeking clarification, I'd doubt such an assertion would be put in an email and if it was, I'd be forwarding it on to my local TD.

I may be wrong but I feel the info you've been given wrong or at least premature.

Assuming you've started a new job, I can understand being on emergency tax but if returning to an existing job, you shouldn't be on emergency tax and I'd be questioning that of your employer.

That aside, I'd certainly be questioning any revenue official telling you this re PUP, it's actually extraordinary given the fact the possibility of taxing PUP was only agreed today but not, I believe actually voted ON yet and it may even be challenged, so how is a revenue official claiming they are awaiting pup to be included re repayment of your emergency tax? . Indeed even if they had a crystal ball, it is stated policy that pup recipients will be offered an extended period to repay or have liability taken from tax credits of 4 years being considered. It just seems an extraordinary thing to say. I wonder can you email them, seeking clarification, I'd doubt such an assertion would be put in an email and if it was, I'd be forwarding it on to my local TD.

I may be wrong but I feel the info you've been given wrong or at least premature.

It's a new job I've started so I completely understand being on emergency tax. I was just ringing to make sure it was cleared by this week's pay cheque. I enquired about getting back what I'm owed and that's when she said I would have to wait until January to see if i even get it refunded at all. I'll make a follow up call or email tomorrow.

It's a new job I've started so I completely understand being on emergency tax. I was just ringing to make sure it was cleared by this week's pay cheque. I enquired about getting back what I'm owed and that's when she said I would have to wait until January to see if i even get it refunded at all. I'll make a follow up call or email tomorrow.

I'd certainly follow up on this, I genuinely feel there's an error here assuming your emergency tax can or should be linked to PUP., this certainly not what is being proposed. Delighted you've a new job though. Good luck regardless :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Curlysue76

jrosen wrote: »
    I was on PUP earlier this year and again now. I noticed when I returned to work in June I was being deducted more than before. My work colleagues said the same. I assumed this was due to receiving the covid payment.

The tax basis was changed from Cumulative to Week One. Probably work out better come the end of the year when tax is due for PUP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭kerryjack

They put me back up to 350 this week don't know am I entitled to it or not was only working part time and making just over 360 a week no point of getting extra 50 if they come in a few weeks looking for it back.

• Advertisement

kerryjack wrote: »
    They put me back up to 350 this week don't know am I entitled to it or not was only working part time and making just over 360 a week no point of getting extra 50 if they come in a few weeks looking for it back.

Basically they've reviewed previous earnings and are now including up to September 2020, obviously your average earnings (Gross) has met the new criteria (€400 or more PW).

They estimate around 34k people will see an increase this week.

You can be assured no mistake as the info furnished by Revenue, so be happy with increased amount :)

Obviously anyone who hasn't worked beyond March 2020 won't see an increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,400 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Well it's official, PUP will be subject to income tax, it was always likely but there won't be any sudden tax demands and an extended period to pay it. Amounts to be determined in January.

The income tax status of PUP was confirmed in 17-April in the Oireachtas.

https://twitter.com/seamuscoffey/status/1328663800208363521

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭ATC110

Income is taxable..who knew.

Anyone who didn't realise this and/or didn't set aside a percentage for the tax liability needs to seriously question their intelligence level.

Geuze wrote: »
    The income tax status of PUP was confirmed in 17-April in the Oireachtas.

https://twitter.com/seamuscoffey/status/1328663800208363521

Confirmed as in an opinion, not actually debated on or agreed upon until yesterday by the finance committee, it was always likely and I'm sure understood by most sensible people, there remained an issue as to whether or not an emergency payment mechanism not means tested was subject to taxation. I'm actually not convinced it is to be honest according to the finance act but that's just a humble opinion. One could now argue that the PUP is lower than most peoples gross wage and indeed SW themselves admit they determine peoples rate on gross pay, so going by that argument, they've already deducted something, I reckon if its legally challenged, it's got a good chance of success, again just a humble opinion.

ATC110 wrote: »
    Income is taxable..who knew.

Anyone who didn't realise this and/or didn't set aside a percentage for the tax liability needs to seriously question their intelligence level.

O Dear, not very insightful or helpful, I've not seen many (maybe one post) questioning this subject, the issue is not having to pay tax on PUP, it was if PUP by its very structure and intent was liable to taxation, which continues to have a large question mark dangling over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Curlysue76

Does anyone know when the Pup Christmas bonus will be paid? Will it be Tuesday 1st or the 8th? Tia

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭beaver111

Are self employed entitled to covid payment, i became self employed 3 months ago and applied and they said om not entitled to a payment because ive no tax returns

beaver111 wrote: »
    Are self employed entitled to covid payment, i became self employed 3 months ago and applied and they said om not entitled to a payment because ive no tax returns

They are but with no tax returns (only 3 months trading) your no were near qualifying. They assess returns from 2018/2019 for self employed as far as I'm aware. To be honest even applying for self employed PUP was ill advised having only been self employed for 3 months, did you not check qualifying criteria?

What were you doing prior to going self employed? If you were working and have taxable earnings from 2019 and up to Sept 2020 you may qualify but the fact you've applied as self employed complicates matters. You also have to show taxable earnings up to 4 months before applying for PUP.

Curlysue76 wrote: »
    Does anyone know when the Pup Christmas bonus will be paid? Will it be Tuesday 1st or the 8th? Tia

Apparently 1st week in December

Apparently 1st week in December
    Just sighned off today looks like I missed out on Christmas bonus, probably wont even get holiday pay for Christmas,
    But nice to be back working and meeting a few people.

• Advertisement

kerryjack wrote: »
    Just sighned off today looks like I missed out on Christmas bonus, probably wont even get holiday pay for Christmas,
    But nice to be back working and meeting a few people.

Yes, good news for you, happy to hear this. Unfortunately you will probably miss the Christmas bonus, if you signed off today, I assume you've one more payment to recieve as its paid a week in arrears? Hopefully you will. Good luck and have a great Christmas :)

Happy Christmas to yourself Dempo1 you have been doing great work on this tread for last 8 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Rcarass

Was anyone part of the glitch in the payments on Tuesday just gone?
    It was due to be my first payment.
    A man called Seamus rang me on Thursday and said I’d get a payment on Monday and on Tuesday.
    Anyone else get told this? And is it in anyone’s account today?
    Nearly 5 weeks closed and all I’ve gotten is emergency payments from the community welfare office

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

It never ceases to amaze me that people on the dole in this country get a Christmas bonus. In all my years working, I've never got a Christmas bonus, even when consistently working 100 hour weeks. I did get to go back to work every January which was a bonus. What a joke of a country.

Rcarass wrote: »
    Was anyone part of the glitch in the payments on Tuesday just gone?
    It was due to be my first payment.
    A man called Seamus rang me on Thursday and said I’d get a payment on Monday and on Tuesday.
    Anyone else get told this? And is it in anyone’s account today?
    Nearly 5 weeks closed and all I’ve gotten is emergency payments from the community welfare office

I'm a bit confused, I'd not heard of any major glitches, you mentioned you were due to be your first payment? Then you mention nearly 5 weeks CLOSED? What type of claim are you referring too? JSA/PUP?, I"m assuming PUP as you mentioned bank lodgement payment.

I'm aware of some serious delays for non pup applications, normally PUP applications speedy if all the eligibility criteria met. Its also rare to receive any calls, normally communications done via notification /email.

GazzaL wrote: »
    It never ceases to amaze me that people on the dole in this country get a Christmas bonus. In all my years working, I've never got a Christmas bonus. Even when consistently working 100 hour weeks, I never got a Christmas bonus. I did get to go back to work every January which was a bonus. What a joke of a country.

It equally amazes me that some have so much time on their hands that they can put silly posts on a Thread that clearly they don't comprehend or understand.

Whilst the subject of Christmas bonus is a contentious one re SW recepients genetally, I gather your offended by a more recent post re PUP and Bonus. PUP is not Dole as you refer to it and secondly most on it actually had full/Part time jobs, still may have but can't actually work because their places of employment are closed or seriously affected by this dreadful pandemic. Also worth pointing out as part of my educational retort, 10"s of thousands of self employed are also on PUP.

I suggest before you post ill thought opinions, you might actually take a deep breath and think first and show a little objectivity.

GazzaL wrote: »
    It never ceases to amaze me that people on the dole in this country get a Christmas bonus. In all my years working, I've never got a Christmas bonus, even when consistently working 100 hour weeks. I did get to go back to work every January which was a bonus. What a joke of a country.

You consistently worked over 100 hours a week? Doing what kind of work?

You consistently worked over 100 hours a week? Doing what kind of work?

Clearly not on Saturday mornings :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Rcarass

I'm a bit confused, I'd not heard of any major glitches, you mentioned you were due to be your first payment? Then you mention nearly 5 weeks CLOSED? What type of claim are you referring too? JSA/PUP?, I"m assuming PUP as you mentioned bank lodgement payment.

I'm aware of some serious delays for non pup applications, normally PUP applications speedy if all the eligibility criteria met. Its also rare to receive any calls, normally communications done via notification /email.

Sorry , I’m on PUP . I only opened my business in July so I had to submit proof of earnings so that was the delay in my payment being approved.
    Yes a lot of payments didn’t go through last week on Tuesday. My PPS number was on the list of payments that had the issues. I was so surprised there wasn’t more about it in the news. Supposedly it effected hundreds.
    anyway they called on Thursday to say that a payment would be made on Monday and on Tuesday to my bank account. I thought Mondays payment would have been in my account today.

• Advertisement

Rcarass wrote: »
    Sorry , I’m on PUP . I only opened my business in July so I had to submit proof of earnings so that was the delay in my payment being approved.
    Yes a lot of payments didn’t go through last week on Tuesday. My PPS number was on the list of payments that had the issues. I was so surprised there wasn’t more about it in the news. Supposedly it effected hundreds.
    anyway they called on Thursday to say that a payment would be made on Monday and on Tuesday to my bank account. I thought Mondays payment would have been in my account today.

Hi, Generally payments made Tuesday mornings but I've seen were there's been an issue, some paid friday/sat as a once off. I gather your on the self employed pup? I had not heard about the payments issue. Just a heads up, there's a separate Thread for PUP and self employed only if you search Boards, might be useful moving forward. Hopefully your payment will be sorted Mon /Tuesday

Advertisement