Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government Benefits Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭kerryjack

GazzaL wrote: »
    It never ceases to amaze me that people on the dole in this country get a Christmas bonus. In all my years working, I've never got a Christmas bonus, even when consistently working 100 hour weeks. I did get to go back to work every January which was a bonus. What a joke of a country.
    I honestly don't know of any person that choose a life on the jobseekers allowance payment, it's a **** life on the dole it's not living it's just existing, unfortunately they are some people that are unable to work due to a lot of reason and to begrudge them an extra payment at Christmas is just mean.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

GazzaL wrote: »
    It never ceases to amaze me that people on the dole in this country get a Christmas bonus. In all my years working, I've never got a Christmas bonus, even when consistently working 100 hour weeks. I did get to go back to work every January which was a bonus. What a joke of a country.

It sounds like you have a really poor employer. Most people who work get some sort of bonus at Xmas even if it's just vouchers. Would you not upskill to a position and employer that values you more?

Did anyone get their PUP paid into their bank Account today for the first time with no warning?

I'm on PUP since the beginning as my workplace was closed immediately and has not reopened, I'd given bank details in my original application and even switched payment method on ( this option has disappeared since).

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Did anyone get their PUP paid into their bank Account today for the first time with no warning?

I'm on PUP since the beginning as my workplace was closed immediately and has not reopened, I'd given bank details in my original application and even switched payment method on ( this option has disappeared since).

Confused, are you saying you changed payment method recently?

I believe new applications only have the payment option into bank and perhaps they are moving everyone to this method?, on original application you may have given bank details albeit it would be a surprise if you had not been advised of any changes?

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Confused, are you saying you changed payment method recently?
    Sorry wasn't clear in my post. I'd tried to change months ago, March/April time, this didn't change anything .

I never selected collection from post office in my application originally I was asked for both bank details and nearest PO.

And today months later they paid into my bank, happy days I suppose!

• Advertisement

Sorry wasn't clear in my post. I'd tried to change months ago, March/April time, this didn't change anything .

I never selected collection from post office in my application originally I was asked for both bank details and nearest PO.

And today months later they paid into my bank, happy days I suppose!

Ah, yes, that would make sense, I do believe they'll move people to electronic payment method, main thing is you got paid :), just surprised they didn't notify you, I suspect there'll be other people confused today. Take care :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Is there any way to check that claim is closed as I closed it last week and got no notification or email to say it has been closed.

kerryjack wrote: »
    Is there any way to check that claim is closed as I closed it last week and got no notification or email to say it has been closed.

Sadly, they don't seem to have any notifications re closing claim, I'm not even sure if your claim status on mywelfare updates from awarded to /no current claims. It seems to only way you find out is when payment stops. You could call the contact number to verify claim is closed or just wait to see if payments stop. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭shoes43

Not sure if this is the correct thread to post on but

My boss has just told me that we in January 2021 we will be closing the office for all but one day a week. I currently work full time (5 days 9am-5pm). He said I would able to claim one of the Covid Sceheme payments and also Job Seekers Benefit. Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else and what exactly can be claimed. he was quite vague (don't think he really knew himself).

thanks for the time in reading.

shoes43 wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the correct thread to post on but

My boss has just told me that we in January 2021 we will be closing the office for all but one day a week. I currently work full time (5 days 9am-5pm). He said I would able to claim one of the Covid Sceheme payments and also Job Seekers Benefit. Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else and what exactly can be claimed. he was quite vague (don't think he really knew himself).

thanks for the time in reading.

Sorry to hear this. Sadly employer not fully correct, unless you loose job fully, the Pandemic Unemployment payment not an option, based on one day continuing employment, all I feel you can claim is for shortened hours and unfortunately you can only vlaim a maximum of 3 days @ €40 per day approximately, meaning you'll loose one full day based on 5 day working week.

It's not ideal but in a sense your better being laid of fully for a period of time permitting you claim PUP but that's probably not an option open to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Announced on the news the Christmas bonus will be paid on 8th to pup recipients. You must have been on it for 17 weeks throughout the year. Anyone going back to work on December 1st won't receive it.

She also mentioned arrears would be paid what would that be for?

Lashes28 wrote: »
    Announced on the news the Christmas bonus will be paid on 8th to pup recipients. You must have been on it for 17 weeks throughout the year. Anyone going back to work on December 1st won't receive it.

Yes, good news all round. The arrears is to do with people who were waiting for payment for a period before being approved, also those who appealed a reduction in rate and had appeal approved, it also relates to numerous self employed who had awful experiences.

Yes, good news all round. The arrears is to do with people who were waiting for payment for a period before being approved, also those who appealed a reduction in rate and had appeal approved, it also relates to numerous self employed who had awful experiences.

How far back do they pay arrears? I waited 4 weeks in march with no back pay

How far back do they pay arrears? I waited 4 weeks in march with no back pay

There's been issues with Arrears since the start with only limited reports of anyone getting arrears owed. I'm guessing it covers the entire period from March. If you don't get what is owed, it will be case of getting onto them but fingers crossed.

Just as an aside, they estimated a few thousand won't get arrears yet due to complexities with anyone who may have been on TWSS or EWSS

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭shoes43

Sorry to hear this. Sadly employer not fully correct, unless you loose job fully, the Pandemic Unemployment payment not an option, based on one day continuing employment, all I feel you can claim is for shortened hours and unfortunately you can only vlaim a maximum of 3 days @ €40 per day approximately, meaning you'll loose one full day based on 5 day working week.

It's not ideal but in a sense your better being laid of fully for a period of time permitting you claim PUP but that's probably not an option open to you.

Thanks for the reply - he was telling me I would get €40 for the days I didn't work and whatever Covid Scheme I could go on and I would probably come out with €1700 per month. He hasn't decided what to do yet but I am going to talk to someone in the local welfare office tomorrow just so I can be prepared.

shoes43 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply - he was telling me I would get €40 for the days I didn't work and whatever Covid Scheme I could go on and I would probably come out with €1700 per month. He hasn't decided what to do yet but I am going to talk to someone in the local welfare office tomorrow just so I can be prepared.

Just to be clear you'll only be entitled to claim 3 days social welfare per week if your continuing to we work one day, nothing else. In essence you'll loose a days pay per week and get reduced pay for 3 days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭Curlysue76

From what I read if you go back to work on the 1st you will receive the Christmas bonus, I understand that if you are receiving payment for the week up to the 3rd you’d get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,385 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Here's a list of the payment weeks for the rest of the year

Week of 20th-26th Nov- payed on the 1st Dec
    Week of 27th Nov-3rd Dec- payed on the 8th Dec (Xmas Bonus week AFAIK)
    Week of 4th-10th Dec- Payed on the 15th Dec
    Week of 11th-17th Dec- Payed on the 22nd Dec
    Week of 18th-24th Dec- Payed on the 29th Dec
    Week of 25th-31st Dec- Payed on the 5th Jan 2021

Could be wrong on payment days for the last 2/3 weeks as they will be closed for xmas holidays

Tbh actually making more on this than been in work

Curlysue76 wrote: »
    From what I read if you go back to work on the 1st you will receive the Christmas bonus, I understand that if you are receiving payment for the week up to the 3rd you’d get it.

I think she said on the news that you need to be in receipt of the payment for the week starting 3rd December. So I dont think you will get it if back to work on the 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Read conflicting info on bonus.

One stating once you’ve collected pup for 17 weeks in 2020 you get the bonus even if you have returned to work.

Other you have to be in receipt of pup the week of the 3rd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭Curlysue76

I think she said on the news that you need to be in receipt of the payment for the week starting 3rd December. So I dont think you will get it if back to work on the 1st.

The week ends on the 3rd though, doesn’t it? Isn’t it from Friday to Thursday? She did say the week starting the 3rd though, unfair for those starting back on the 1st if they don’t get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭d51984

Thought I read on RTE yesterday that arrears would be paid next week?

Also on the week before xmas its normally a double weeks payment and no payment the week after.

Its a disgrace Joe!

d51984 wrote: »
    Thought I read on RTE yesterday that arrears would be paid next week?

8th December

• Registered Users Posts: 9,790 ✭✭✭hynesie08

The important part
    It is important that people know that as long as they meet the above criteria (ie 17 weeks on the PUP including at least one day of the PUP Payment Week) , their Christmas Bonus is intact," she said.

So if your boss asks you to come in tomorrow, either do it for free or tell them to **** off unless they're willing to pay you €350

hynesie08 wrote: »
    The important part

So if your boss asks you to come in tomorrow, either do it for free or tell them to **** off unless they're willing to pay you €350

Assuming of course, your on €350 pw

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭doc22

hynesie08 wrote: »
    The important part

IS PUP not all or nothing i.e if you work during said week at all then there's no payment.

doc22 wrote: »
    IS PUP not all or nothing i.e if you work during said week at all then there's no payment.

Interesting point but yes, any earnings disqualify you from PUP (limited earnings allied for self employed). The point being raised is not necessarily earnings, it's the date you sign off to still qualify for Christmas Bonus

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭doc22

Interesting point but yes, any earnings disqualify you from PUP (limited earnings allied for self employed). The point being raised is not necessarily earnings, it's the date you sign off to still qualify for Christmas Bonus

AH indeed:o

• Advertisement

doc22 wrote: »
    AH indeed:o

:)

Advertisement