Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government Benefits Megathread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Dempo1 wrote: »
    RTE has requested a statement as to how SW will manage new claims as SW offices closed most of next week, hopefully there'll be an update later for any one concerned

No they aren't closed most of next week. They're closed the 25th, the 28th and the 1st but open the rest of the week including Christmas Eve.

The major issue is the banks being on holidays and being able to issue payments.

If a payment is authorised it normally takes 2/3 working days to hit a bank account (depending on your bank), 4 days for a Post Office payment and dependent on the postal service for cheques.

Sure, there will be staff on AL but not as many as you'd think. Not much else to do this Christmas so might as well save the holidays for a better time of year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/1222/1185993-pup-christmas-update/

For anyone needing info re applying for pup before or over Christmas :)

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,970 ✭✭✭Degag

My son started a new part time job.l a few weeks ago. 16 years old.
    Am I right in thinking that while he qualifies to for PAYE he doesn't for PUP when they close again? SCANDALOUS

Don't see what's so scandalous about it being honest. He's a child when it comes down to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭bs2014

Mother who I live with has Covid, positive result on Monday. Past 2 days have been hectic.

I have been working from home Monday and Tuesday as normal as possible. Original plan was to finish tomorrow and take my 4 days holidays over the Xmas/New Year.

Now the penny has dropped that I could take the 2 week illness payment and hold onto my holidays instead of wasting them in isolation..

Does the 14 days go from when you are told to isolate or when you apply. Looks like I need a doctors cert so chance of getting that between now and Xmas is next to nothing.

If its 14 days from when you apply, I'll have to try see will HR let me get the 2 days I worked this week added as holidays & hold onto my holidays I wouldve used over Xmas (that will mean me carrying over now more than they allow)....not sure what way that affects me?

Anyone know what the process is? I would love to claw back the 2 days Ive worked this week and use them in the new year when I could well need them depending how sick my mother gets.

What is the process and is it another convoluting revenue process?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

bs2014 wrote: »
    Mother who I live with has Covid, positive result on Monday. Past 2 days have been hectic.

I have been working from home Monday and Tuesday as normal as possible. Original plan was to finish tomorrow and take my 4 days holidays over the Xmas/New Year.

Now the penny has dropped that I could take the 2 week illness payment and hold onto my holidays instead of wasting them in isolation..

Does the 14 days go from when you are told to isolate or when you apply. Looks like I need a doctors cert so chance of getting that between now and Xmas is next to nothing.

If its 14 days from when you apply, I'll have to try see will HR let me get the 2 days I worked this week added as holidays & hold onto my holidays I wouldve used over Xmas (that will mean me carrying over now more than they allow)....not sure what way that affects me?

Anyone know what the process is? I would love to claw back the 2 days Ive worked this week and use them in the new year when I could well need them depending how sick my mother gets.

What is the process and is it another convoluting revenue process?

You can apply online at mywelfare.ie and then email a screenshot of the text message from the HSE to Illness Benefit.

Probably won't get the payment till next week now mind because of the payment runs and bank closures.

When you're going back to work email or call them to close your claim and there shouldn't be an issue with Revenue then

• Advertisement

Necro wrote: »
    You can apply online at mywelfare.ie and then email a screenshot of the text message from the HSE to Illness Benefit.

Probably won't get the payment till next week now mind because of the payment runs and bank closures.

When you're going back to work email or call them to close your claim and there shouldn't be an issue with Revenue then

Do I need a sick letter from the Dr?
    I've already worked 2 days this week so I probably stand to loose them

No need as such but you must have confirmation you have been advised to self isolate, screen shot of communication from HSE etc, full details below.

Re the 2 days worked, this may be a problem, I appreciate you worked from home but you can not be in receipt of any income whilst on any of the Pandemic wellfare payments albeit self employed PUP recepients can earn certain amounts over an 8 week period, this however is not an enhanced illness payment, its a PUP payment. I can't advise how you get around working whilst self isolating but at a minimum if you have been required to self isolate, I'd assume your employer is aware and would suspend salary for that time?

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/disability_and_illness/covid19_enhanced_illness_benefit.html#

Just apply from the first date you didn't work and there won't be any issues.

Ie: if you worked Monday and Tuesday apply from Wednesday.

The date you apply from is entirely up to yourself as long as there is medical evidence for that period you will be fine.

If you have a text from the HSE advising you to self isolate then you don't need a GP Certificate of Incapacity from Work no.

Necro wrote: »
    Just apply from the first date you didn't work and there won't be any issues.

Ie: if you worked Monday and Tuesday apply from Wednesday.

The date you apply from is entirely up to yourself as long as there is medical evidence for that period you will be fine.

If you have a text from the HSE advising you to self isolate then you don't need a GP Certificate of Incapacity from Work no.

The Hse text is from Monday.
    1. I get the doctor to fill the ecert thingy 2 weeks from today
    2. Get work to give me my 2 days back in lieu

• Registered Users Posts: 38,272 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

So my workplace will be paying us through the EWSS scheme for the lockdown period

How would this work regarding Xs and Os. I suspended my claim as I was sure I'd be going on PUP

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote: »
    So my workplace will be paying us through the EWSS scheme for the lockdown period

How would this work regarding Xs and Os. I suspended my claim as I was sure I'd be going on PUP

Assuming you are on reduced hours (x & o"s) and your employer is putting you on EWSS and keeping hours the same, I'd have to assume you'll need to reactivate your x & o"s ASAP, Not an ideal situation. Might be better to call SW to see if they can override your suspend request, explain situation etc.

The Hse text is from Monday.
    1. I get the doctor to fill the ecert thingy 2 weeks from today
    2. Get work to give me my 2 days back in lieu

Nah, if you apply online from today they will certify you from today. They certify from date of application.

Assuming you are on reduced hours (x & o"s) and your employer is putting you on EWSS and keeping hours the same, I'd have to assume you'll need to reactivate your x & o"s ASAP, Not an ideal situation. Might be better to call SW to see if they can override your suspend request, explain situation etc.

Some bloody mess. Got sorted and got a cheque for the covid payment i missed this week (of course had to argue to get it)

No idea what's happening now regarding xs and os but sure look it will sort itself out after Xmas

Degag wrote: »
    Don't see what's so scandalous about it being honest. He's a child when it comes down to it.

Well I'll tell you what I see as scandalous. He pays tax and prsi like me and maybe you. So why isn't his income protected like everyone else. Child or no child he works and pays tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭doc22

Well I'll tell you what I see as scandalous. He pays tax and prsi like me and maybe you. So why isn't his income protected like everyone else. Child or no child he works and pays tax.

he worked for 2 weeks, regardless of age they wouldn't have credits for anything, he wouldn't have paid any tax either. For PUP he has no working record for last year or this year pre covid. To be honest I don't know what you expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

One week of the PUP would cost the state multiples of the tiny amount of tax (presumably just PRSI anyway) he would have paid over a few weeks.
    It'd be nonsense to give him months and months of payments just because he had a part time job for a short time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Curlysue76

Did anyone apply on Tuesday straight after the announcement and get money today? I reapplied on Tuesday and on Wednesday morning it showed that it was awarded but no payment today, I’m sure it’ll be next week, just curious. So I’m guessing it’s 1 weeks payment next week, whichever day, then back to weekly every following Tuesday, for God knows how long this time.

Curlysue76 wrote: »
    Did anyone apply on Tuesday straight after the announcement and get money today? I reapplied on Tuesday and on Wednesday morning it showed that it was awarded but no payment today, I’m sure it’ll be next week, just curious. So I’m guessing it’s 1 weeks payment next week, whichever day, then back to weekly every following Tuesday, for God knows how long this time.

I'd say its a safe bet, payment will be issued early next week, with banks closed etc over the weekend, good to hear it was awarded quickly :)

Just to Say Happy Christmas to all. Its been a tough (almost year), stay safe, stay happy :)

Happy Christmas Dempo and thank you for all your help and advice over this trying time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Nicola123

Applied Tuesday also, got confirmation of application received but no update to say confirmed or not. No payment either.

doc22 wrote: »
    he worked for 2 weeks, regardless of age they wouldn't have credits for anything, he wouldn't have paid any tax either. For PUP he has no working record for last year or this year pre covid. To be honest I don't know what you expect?

2 weeks? Did you make that up while trying to make the best argument you could? I said a few weeks.

Nicola123 wrote: »
    Applied Tuesday also, got confirmation of application received but no update to say confirmed or not. No payment either.

Can you see if claim awarded on mywelfare portal? is it a first time claim or repeat?

Can you see if claim awarded on mywelfare portal? is it a first time claim or repeat?

It's a 2nd time repeat. My gov account isn't the comprehensive verified account just the basic and the notification I got was just about application received. Surely I would get a second notification if it was awarded or if more info was needed 🀔

Nicola123 wrote: »
    It's a 2nd time repeat. My gov account isn't the comprehensive verified account just the basic and the notification I got was just about application received. Surely I would get a second notification if it was awarded or if more info was needed 🀔

Hi, no, historically no notifications are ever sent re approval. Only requests for further info, declines etc so no news good news if that makes sense. You'll be fine, particularly if you were awarded previously. It's extremely unlikely any payments will be issued this week due to bank closures etc but SW has stated payment for new claims will be issued next week. Happy Christmas :)

Hi, no, historically no notifications are ever sent re approval. Only requests for further info, declines etc so no news good news if that makes sense. You'll be fine, particularly if you were awarded previously. It's extremely unlikely any payments will be issued this week due to bank closures etc but SW has stated payment for new claims will be issued next week. Happy Christmas :)
    Thank you! Yeah I'm not too worried, hopefully next week. I'm sure they are under pressure! Happy Christmas to you too

The minister said that if you apply by end of business Tuesday you’d get payment today, but that does seem very ambitious, no worries, I’m sure by next week it’ll be sorted. Just bad timing with bank holidays.

The minister said that if you apply by end of business Tuesday you’d get payment today, but that does seem very ambitious, no worries, I’m sure by next week it’ll be sorted. Just bad timing with bank holidays.

Yes, I see that now, statement below but I agree a little ambitious :)

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/6d0f8-arrangements-in-place-to-pay-pandemic-unemployment-payment-to-people-who-lose-their-job-between-now-and-the-new-year/

Can I lodge a social welfare cheque straight away into my AIB account or do i have to get it in a post office

Never done it this way before

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Can I lodge a social welfare cheque straight away into my AIB account or do i have to get it in a post office

Never done it this way before

EDIT, Not sure if post office would cash it, you'd think they might, best lodge to bank

Advertisement