Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government Benefits Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

bs2014 wrote: »
    Thanks, yea I'll have to wait til this day next week and see has it gone through in meantime. Just curious to see what way it will effect my tax at work. Will it go from last year or this year.

As far as I'm aware enhanced illness is not taxable, only PUP, TWSS & EWSS.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

ATC110 wrote: »
    For anyone whose PUP rate was reduced in June 2020 and then had it rerated to a higher level (based upon their 2019 tax return), how long did it take the arrears due to be paid ?

A question for self employed thread?

Happy new year also

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭ATC110

Dempo1 wrote: »
    A question for self employed thread?

Happy new year also

Yes, I posted there too but this thread seems to get more replies.

Same to you!

ATC110 wrote: »
    Yes, I posted there too but this thread seems to get more replies.

Same to you!

Yes the self employed thread went very quite. If you look back at previous posts, I'm sure your question was answered but it took some time for arrears to be paid. There was a tranche of arrears paid a crossed the board back in November and some went back as far as March, I presume its going to be quite awhile for second tranche of arrears to be paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Wife had to activate her PUP payment again last week. Not sign of the payment into her account this week. Anyone else experiencing delays? In the previous lockdown she received payment normally first thing in a Tuesday morning.....

• Advertisement

Wife had to activate her PUP payment again last week. Not sign of the payment into her account this week. Anyone else experiencing delays? In the previous lockdown she received payment normally first thing in a Tuesday morning.....

What day last week did she complete application? Ideally applications best submitted by Wednesday to get payment following week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

What day last week did she complete application? Ideally applications best submitted by Wednesday to get payment following week.

Submitted Wednesday....... I think in the evening time so possibly too late??

Submitted Wednesday....... I think in the evening time so possibly too late??

It's possible, payment file is sent to financial institutions thursday/Friday, so allowing for time to process application, my guess is she may have missed payment this week. I'd make a quick call just to insure application processed, I'd be confident payment will be issued next Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭bs2014

The €700 lodged this morning (no tax deduction but that could come yet through tax credit reductions in my payroll); weirdly I got a letter also saying ones doctor had to submit a Med1 form. My understanding when your out isolating, a screenshot of the HSE text was enough.....the doctors in our country have enough to be at without filling Med1 forms out for half the country :)

The €700 lodged this morning (no tax deduction but that could come yet through tax credit reductions in my payroll); weirdly I got a letter also saying ones doctor had to submit a Med1 form. My understanding when your out isolating, a screenshot of the HSE text was enough.....the doctors in our country have enough to be at without filling Med1 forms out for half the country :)

Again, enhanced illness benefit not taxable and yes, if you check eligibility criteria, you are required to get your doctor to submit med form which is done Electronically

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭bs2014

Again, enhanced illness benefit not taxable and yes, if you check eligibility criteria, you are required to get your doctor to submit med form which is done Electronically

So how come they paid out if the doctor didn't submit the med1? Citizen advice told me all I needed to do was send a copy of the hse text to isolate

So how come they paid out if the doctor didn't submit the med1? Citizen advice told me all I needed to do was send a copy of the hse text to isolate

That's the process, it was introduced to speed up claims as Gp"s under enormous pressure. In essence, SW will accept proof of communication to self isolate etc but state clearly a cert must be submitted within a specified time frame. Citizens information correct re initial claim and process, they've obviously not dealt with follow up requirements.

Any illness benifit ultimately requires an incapacity to work cert from a GP, this rule has not changed, just a relaxation of the application process.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭foozzybear61

I work on a community employment scheme for the last few years .
    its a front line job with an organization that provides supports to adults with intellectual disabilities . I have asked my supervisor if there were any plans to halt these hours I do as in the first wave in March and got a very curt reply basically saying I will tell you when you need to know. I know people on other schemes with far less personal contacts than us being told to stay at home
    Given the scheme is supported by social welfare and government is saying reduce your contacts and travel I find this counterproductive ,
    Anyone else know of similar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

hi, there's a person in my workplace who is off on stress leave
    his wife is not working.
    he is not entitled to sick pay.
    There's a rumor going around that he is on the pup payment even though there is no reason to. he is an essential worker.
    who is watching or checking this sort of stuff?
    it's unfair on the other workers as they have to do his job.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

his wife is not working.
    There's a rumor going around that he is on the pup payment even though there is no reason to. he is an essential worker.
    Thanks.

If he's on stress leave what does it matter to you what hes doing, if you think its unfair on other workers that's a problem you'll have to bring up with your manager, I cant for the life of me see how it should matter in the slightest to you

his wife is not working.
    Thanks.

So he is stressed and his wife out of work and you have no evidence he is actually getting PUP . Maybe it’s a bit personal?

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

Maybe they are on PUP, maybe they aren't.
    Perhaps worry about your own situation instead of hoping this persons gets worse.
    If they receive PUP or not, others are still left doing their work so what does it matter to you? If this lad has less money does it make you happier in some way?

It's been a s**t year for all of us but please stop trying to make it worse for somebody who may be coping less well than others. Try supporting them in whatever way you can, perhaps they'll come back to work sooner knowing people have their back which will in turn reduce your workload.

his wife is not working.
    Thanks.

Rumors don't make facts. There are numerous reasons why people are on PUP but generally not those on sick leave. There is an enhanced illness benefit but this directed at so advised to self isolate or indeed those who are Covid-19 positive.

Whilst it's possible the person you refer too could be abusing the system it would seem more likely they have been certified by their GP and getting illness benefit.

Worth also pointing out there's a narrative that all on PUP get €350 pm, it's a pile of nonsense, most are on lower payments (there's 4 rates)

With regards to checks, Revenue share payroll data with SW and there's on going eligibility checks done, which can include contact of employers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

maybe you didn't realise that it's my and your tax that's paying the pup.
    I'm entitled to ask a question.
    attack the post not the poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 DavidX90

OP's question: "who is watching or checking this sort of stuff?"

Answer: I imagine the Department of Social Protection and/or Revenue are actively keeping an eye out, or will review PUP retrospectively when the pandemic ends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,790 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Fcuk me, varadkar really does have us punching down doesn't he, you want to rat someone out with no proof because you are still in work?

Pathetic.

maybe you didn't realise that it's my and your tax that's paying the pup.
    I'm entitled to ask a question.
    attack the post not the poster.

Perhaps you should consider flushing a 3rd time. You are certainly entitled to ask a question albeit it very leading, your equally entitled to an answer, albeit you don't seem to appreciate the facts.

Your question was leading, heresay and certainly implied alledged wrong doing but I suspect it was more about PUP and your aborance of it.

In order to get PUP you had to be paying Tax and just to further educate, PUP is infact taxable.

You'll find ample amounts of SW welfare bashing threads but do try and be a little more objective.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Fcuk me, varadkar really does have us punching down doesn't he, you want to rat someone out with no proof because you are still in work?

Pathetic.

Couldn't agree more

KeithTS wrote: »
    Maybe they are on PUP, maybe they aren't.
    Perhaps worry about your own situation instead of hoping this persons gets worse.
    If they receive PUP or not, others are still left doing their work so what does it matter to you? If this lad has less money does it make you happier in some way?

It's been a s**t year for all of us but please stop trying to make it worse for somebody who may be coping less well than others. Try supporting them in whatever way you can, perhaps they'll come back to work sooner knowing people have their back which will in turn reduce your workload.

Excellent response a little more diplomatic than mine

hynesie08 wrote: »

Pathetic.

Why Varadkar? He isn't Taoiseach at the moment, so why blame him and not the current one?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,790 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Why Varadkar? He isn't Taoiseach at the moment, so why blame him and not the current one?

https://img.rasset.ie/000f1397-642.jpg

Because this scheme was his baby......

Maybe his wife is claiming for him as an Adult Dependant?

Whatever they're doing - not your business.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭GreenGrass2019

Going by the current trends in the pandemic, there is no chance everything will resume to normal on the 1st April, so we will remain in some type of lockdown well into the year even if it isn't at full level 5, many sectors of society are going to remain closed. Leo has said as much on numerous occasions for businesses to take it for granted they're going to be locked down until at least the end of March.

And with only the larger supply of the vaccine(s) coming on stream from Q2 as confirmed by the EU today I don't see how they will be able to terminate the PUP & EWSS on the 31st March. I know they have the resources in place to be able to support these payments until the end of the year.

I'm just wondering has anyone gained any further insight with regards to this?
    TIA :)

• Advertisement

Going by the current trends in the pandemic, there is no chance everything will resume to normal on the 1st April, so we will remain in some type of lockdown well into the year even if it isn't at full level 5, many sectors of society are going to remain closed. Leo has said as much on numerous occasions for businesses to take it for granted they're going to be locked down until at least the end of March.

And with only the larger supply of the vaccine(s) coming on stream from Q2 as confirmed by the EU today I don't see how they will be able to terminate the PUP & EWSS on the 31st March. I know they have the resources in place to be able to support these payments until the end of the year.

I'm just wondering has anyone gained any further insight with regards to this?
    TIA :)

It's a safe bet not a word will be said about PUP by government until the very, very last minute. It's a mess generally with case numbers and deaths at shocking levels. Vaccine role out is certainly positive news but even that's proving challenging.

I'd hazard a guess hospitality in particular will be slow to reopen or return to viable levels (this sector permanently damaged or at the very least business model utterly changed.

Retail is also in serious trouble, I can't ever see it returning to what it was, vast sways of consumers have moved online and its doubtful they'll ever return in big numbers back to high street.

True, some sectors not affected much but I predict unemployment will remain stubbornly high for quite some time. PUP will certainly be reviewed, what will be proposed is an open question but reviewed, I predict it will be and almost certainly reviewed downwards. There's going to be a regrettable point were many on PUP will be forced onto JSA/JSB.

Grim predictions I know but alot of economic damage has Been done, I'm not sure many realise how much.

Advertisement