Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government Benefits Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭ATC110

Has anyone had the balance of rerate arrears yet?

The February payment was for up to November 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 48 kajzer

Hello, my fiance has been on maternity leave for the past 6 months, she has been working up until about a month before her due date. So the maternity leave is over in a week or two and her workplace is closed due to covid. Can she apply for pup payment as normal? When would be the last payslip that she enters? Or are there some special rules for returning from maternity leave?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Payment for next week should be in today because of the bank holidays BTW. Mine went in last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Crustycat

Just wondering if anyone would be able to help me here. I’m on €203 PUP and my second year of BTWEA (at the reduced rate) is due to finish in June. Does anyone know if I’ll be able to move to a higher rate of PUP seeing as my income will be so reduced? Or what my options are? Any help would be appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,000 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Crustycat wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone would be able to help me here. I’m on €203 PUP and my second year of BTWEA (at the reduced rate) is due to finish in June. Does anyone know if I’ll be able to move to a higher rate of PUP seeing as my income will be so reduced? Or what my options are? Any help would be appreciated.

Hi, my guess would be highly unlikely primarily as PUP is being phased out as of 31st June, whilst it's likely a short extension or process of winding down will commence then, I can't see you being awarded a higher rate. Honestly, your best option is to enquire directly with SW or whomever oversees your scheme.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭TippCashel

An extra €1,050 came in on top of the €350 today.

Any ideas what this is (obviously equates to three weeks of PUP)?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,117 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Did you sign off it? That's about what I got one time before Christmas.

I got a double payment today too.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭TippCashel

beertons wrote: »
    Did you sign off it? That's about what I got one time before Christmas.

I got a double payment today too.

Hey. I didn’t sign off it but even if I did wouldn’t it be a weird thing to happen anyway?

Not 100% sure. I can contact revenue anyway just wanted to check here first!

TippCashel wrote: »
    An extra €1,050 came in on top of the €350 today.

Any ideas what this is (obviously equates to three weeks of PUP)?

Arrears if owed were paid today, also those who closed payment got arrears that were OUTSTANDING.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Sorry if this has been covered, I have looked online, can anyone advise what way the days run on PUP, I know its paid Tuesday's but what days does that cover? for example if you sign off today Friday, do you get paid next Tuesday? or if you sign off next Monday would you then get paid Tuesday? Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭natc

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Arrears if owed were paid today, also those who closed payment got arrears that were OUTSTANDING.

Was it arrears owed up to a certain date that were paid?

natc wrote: »
    Was it arrears owed up to a certain date that were paid?

Log on to MyWelfare and there will be a statement for the payment

ATC110 wrote: »
    Log on to MyWelfare and there will be a statement for the payment

Thanks. That just shows a statement of payments already made. Wondering if it’s possible to see if you are owed any arrears if you signed up for PUP this year? Husband only signed on for it at beginning of March after son went back to school. His work finished end of Jan. didn’t think he could sign on as he wasn’t available for work due to homeschooling. Kept getting conflicting info from local welfare office. Eventually just sent in online PUP application and got awarded full amount. Approx 6 weeks from when he finished work and when he applied.

natc wrote: »
    Thanks. That just shows a statement of payments already made. Wondering if it’s possible to see if you are owed any arrears if you signed up for PUP this year? Husband only signed on for it at beginning of March after son went back to school. His work finished end of Jan. didn’t think he could sign on as he wasn’t available for work due to homeschooling. Kept getting conflicting info from local welfare office. Eventually just sent in online PUP application and got awarded full amount. Approx 6 weeks from when he finished work and when he applied.

If you click on the relevant payment it will expand with a breakdown of the arrears paid with relevant dates

ATC110 wrote: »
    If you click on the relevant payment it will expand with a breakdown of the arrears paid with relevant dates

Sorry maybe I wasn’t clear. He hasn’t received any arrears payment. That’s why I’m looking to see what dates the recent arrears payment covers. They couldn’t tell him on the phone when he applied, if he would be entitled to get arrears covering the 6 weeks before he applied. So if the recent arrears covered dates in March then I’d know he’s not going to get any arrears.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

Again to ask something that's most likely already been asked... Sorry! :)

So I've been offered work for a couple of months whilst I'm unemployed, this would involve coming off the pup.

My question is, would I be able to go back on it if the work finishes before I go back to my main employment

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭Sharpyshoot

Pup is gone in June so get used of working. ^

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Tester040

Well lads, question here about the PUP.

I've been on it since last March when the pub I was working in closed, hasn't opened since. In September I took up a one year college course, the plan before Covid was to go from full time to part time in the pub when college started.

Now the summer semester is here and it's coming up to thesis time meaning I don't really have time for the job whenever they open back up. I've no idea when they're planning on re opening, I haven't heard a word from them since last March unfortunately.

I've a job offer in place (related to my degree) for September. Now, when my pub job comes calling I was planning on signing off the PUP straight away and telling them I can't go back and living off savings until September. But I'm thinking this might come across dodgy if Revenue were to investigate? I don't want any trouble and want to do this the right way if you get me.

So long story short, is there a problem waiting on the PUP until my job opens back up and signing off when I don't go back? I realise this might annoy some people but I wasn't expecting them to be closed the full year and not having time this summer. Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Look you could have sat on your backside but you turned a negative in to a possitive and you went about getting a degree, I would call that being smart and productive and you have got a job for September so you will be back paying Tax and prsi again, have a word with bar owner and give him heads up that you are moving on and he will understand, can't see pubs being fully opened until September anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Tester040

kerryjack wrote: »
    Look you could have sat on your backside but you turned a negative in to a possitive and you went about getting a degree, I would call that being smart and productive and you have got a job for September so you will be back paying Tax and prsi again, have a word with bar owner and give him heads up that you are moving on and he will understand, can't see pubs being fully opened until September anyway.

Yeah it'd be a different story if I didn't have a job lined up, thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

I'm due to go back to work on the 31st so I'm assuming I close the claim the day before?

conor_ie wrote: »
    I'm due to go back to work on the 31st so I'm assuming I close the claim the day before?

Generally on the day you return to work, looks like a Monday anyway, happy for you, good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Carnmore

Not directly relevant to social protection but wondering do the DSP check people by phoning them?

I received a phone call from an unknown Irish 087 mobile number, upon answering there was silence and the call ended.

I called the number back but after a couple of rings the call was ended.

I've called the number several times since but "the number you are calling is not available" message is played.

Has anyone experienced this?

Could it be some sort of scam or perhaps the DSP checking on people in some way?

Carnmore wrote: »
    Not directly relevant to social protection but wondering do the DSP check people by phoning them?

I received a phone call from an unknown Irish 087 mobile number, upon answering there was silence and the call ended.

I called the number back but after a couple of rings the call was ended.

I've called the number several times since but "the number you are calling is not available" message is played.

Has anyone experienced this?

Could it be some sort of scam or perhaps the DSP checking on people in some way?

Morning,

Whilst it would be a possibility DSP would on occasion contact people by phone, generally the write to people if it's something they need clarification on or review etc. Highly unlikely contact would be made via a mobile number but see my possible example at end of response.

There's numerous telephone scam warnings on their site, some cleverly using similar number formats as Irish mobile and low call numbers. Personally I NEVER EVER advise calling any questionable number back, this is one way how people are caught out.

I'd certainly be googling the number,
    Won't take long too see if it's a scam or questionable.

I'm afraid it has all the hallmarks of a scam, calling it back, silence etc and more to the point, extremely rare SW would call you from a mobile number unless you've been dealing with a specific case officer, CWO etc.

The fact number now not available is relevant network has now possibly blocked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Carnmore

Morning,

There's numerous telephone scam warnings on their site, some cleverly using similar number formats as Irish mobile and low call numbers. Personally I NEVER EVER advise calling any questionable number back, this is one way how people are caught out.

I'd certainly be googling the number,
    Won't take long too see if it's a scam or questionable.

I'm afraid it has all the hallmarks of a scam, calling it back, silence etc and more to the point, extremely rare SW would call you from a mobile number unless you've been dealing with a specific case officer, CWO etc.

The fact number now not available is relevant network has now possibly blocked it.

The number was a standard 087 number so in no way suspicious.

Have done multiple searches for the number online but no results.

Carnmore wrote: »
    The number was a standard 087 number so in no way suspicious.

Have done multiple searches for the number online but no results.

It's likely not enough searches have been done as it could be a newish scam.

I'm afraid to say a standard 087, 086, 085, 083 number format is NOT immune for being generated to create scams, generally what can happen is an extra digit applied, format altered etc. This is not at all uncommon. Another clever format is putting in international code followed by number for example 035387*******

I can assure you if it was a genuine caller they'd want to talk to you, facilitate a messaging service (again, I don't recommend calling or messaging the number) and would certainly be reachable, which you've said you can not.

Just as an example, the 083 prefix was until recently the three networks primary prefix.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/083-number-scam-plaguing-irish-24029898

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭beaver111

Any word on how long the put will last?

beaver111 wrote: »
    Any word on how long the put will last?

You might need to consult Rory McIlroy on long Put? :)

Only kidding, no word as yet, my sense is tappering downward will be the approach. Government restrained from an immediate stopping of the payment because Hospitality and aviation sectors still restricted /closed. Its also clear not all retail or construction workers have returned or have been called back.

The narrative is there will be no cliff edge but what that means is anyone's guess. Still 333,000 on it as of today. It will be next week before an announcement made.

Hi all

Anyone get a notification on my welfare today, there are 2 separate ones and some might get either one.

Confirm eligibility
    Action Required Supports,

I'll deal with 2nd one, supports. In essence they are contacting those on PUP for a prolonged time to offer supports in finding new employment opportunities etc. I was a little confused by this as I'm actually employed but temp lay off and waiting to be called back.

I decided to call the 1890 as I was concerned I needed to take action, register on recruitireland. com etc and be penalised for not doing so, the notification further mentions a case officer will make contact anytime after the 31st May.

So, just to share what I found out. Official very helpful, she's explained there's no need to do anything, I can explain my own situation etc when contacted. It's generic advice and obviously if someone has lost Job completely with little chance of return, they are encouraging people to start looking at options etc.

Hope this helps anyone who might be concerned etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭md323

Hi all

Anyone get a notification on my welfare today, there are 2 separate ones and some might get either one.

Confirm eligibility
    Action Required Supports,

I'll deal with 2nd one, supports. In essence they are contacting those on PUP for a prolonged time to offer supports in finding new employment opportunities etc. I was a little confused by this as I'm actually employed but temp lay off and waiting to be called back.

I decided to call the 1890 as I was concerned I needed to take action, register on recruitireland. com etc and be penalised for not doing so, the notification further mentions a case officer will make contact anytime after the 31st May.

So, just to share what I found out. Official very helpful, she's explained there's no need to do anything, I can explain my own situation etc when contacted. It's generic advice and obviously if someone has lost Job completely with little chance of return, they are encouraging people to start looking at options etc.

Hope this helps anyone who might be concerned etc.

I haven't recieved any notifications.
    I'm on the PUP payment since the beginning, my job is still there when my sector opens up.
    Suppose nothingto worry about until I recievea notification.

Thanks for the updates and information you have provided over the past year or so.Very helpful.

Advertisement