Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reberetta's Walrus Reveal AKA Reberrus!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

0_Screen-Shot-2020-02-01-at-221114-1.jpg

Glad you liked it :D

I agree it's not the band's best but it does allow Skin to show off her range in a way many of their songs don't

And I still prefer the original, but I had to meet the brief the best I could ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

phatkev wrote: »
    Jaysus that is a duet I would have never expected to see!!

Me too. I didn't expect to see Skin dressed as a duck in The Masked Singer either.

Have I heard of this artist: No
    Have I heard this song: No

Because I wasn't watching the video, I only realised after a few listens that this is a single guy performing female and male parts in the style of Celine Dion and Andrea Bocelli, like a crooner edition of Rory Bremner; a supremely inimitable and unique ability. As the French say: magnifique.

Unfortunately, as far as I can tell,  it's a song of praise to the Lord above so the lyrics are humdrum. It's a mundane sentimental ballad and brings to mind a Disney movie scene with cartoonish lovebirds crooning to one another. Tedious fare from a big talent. Shame that he couldn't sing a good song like, say, I'm Already There by Westlife, a classic close to my heart.

Vocals: 10/10
    Song: 2.5/10
    Score: 12.5

15th place and last but not least:
    lasykk

Have I heard of this artist: Yes
    "Just fantastic and raw. I've included the live version for extra oooommph, but listen to her talk initially and then she sings and you're like... WHAT?"
    -Submitter

I've never paid much heed to Adele. This is touching. In a sexual way. She's like a hot Susan Boyle. But seriously, I could imagine this track moving a robot to tears. The crowd's participation adds to the emotive intensity and they actually sing in tuneful synchronicity, unlike the drunken Arch Enemy fans at that rock festival I attended.

I like her cadence. She's a melodious, powerful songbird. Admittedly, she'd probably break the branch (timbre!) but I'd pick her up and take her to the vet pronto. It's a glorious soulful song, one of the most astonishing live performances I've ever witnessed, and I'm going to be honest: it almost made me cry. But only 'almost' because I'm a hard man who survives on a steady diet of steak, weight-lifting and Dolph Lundgren movies. Did she write it herself?

Stunning, love this.

Vocals: 10/10
    Song: 10/10
    Score: 20

1st place and winner of category:
    Necro

Reberetta wrote: »
    1st place and winner of category:
    Necro

GV9K.gif

Last to first, great recovery!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

I feared this would be the result. I did think the ask was an amazing vocal performance which this undoubtedly hits the brief for. I'm no lover of the song myself but the singer is otherworldly talented

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

]

unreal song watch it live

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

My first EVER 1st place in a Walrus category!! That's it, I can retire happily now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Adele - ummm Now I remember I put up Adam Lambert even though I actually hate the original song - Love the commentary Reberetta

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Jaysis! Necro getting a 1st in a Walrus? That's one of the signs of the apocalypse isn't it? As if we weren't already f**ked enough.

Ah fair dues Neccers, Adele has a whopper voice.

Enjoyed the reveal Reberetta, even if I question some of your decisions... and I'm not just talking about my own song - quite a few I reckon should've been much higher up in the rankings.

That live version of Someone Like You is much better than the studio recording - I really don't like the high note in the chorus of the recorded version, it's not in her range and it just sounds jarring. Whereas live she sings the whole chorus in her natural range and it flows way more smoothly. Nice choice.

As for mine...
    I don't know what the lyrical subject matter is, and I don't want to know; I'm just going to assume she is a Mexican bandit singing about the death of one of her gang at the hands of the villainous sheriff; it has the tinge of lament.

...I don't think that's what it's about but I much prefer your theory so let's go with that! :D Shame you didn't particularly like the song itself but I'll just conveniently ignore that bit of the score and be happy with the mark you gave for the vocals.

• Advertisement

Pretzill should have been in 13th place, beakerjoe in 14th. It makes little difference in this Walrus. Let me know if you see any mistakes.

Scores After Round

Name|B-side/Live|Funeral Song|Vocal Performance|Weird Music|Total
    Homer J|10|7(7)|13.5(11)|0|30.5
    A.S.L.B|9(2)|5.5(12)|14(10)|0|28.5
    tusk |9(3)|6.5(9)|13.5(12)|0|29
    Spook ie |8.5(4)|7(8)|14.5(9)|0|30
    lassykk |8.5(5)|7(5)|12.5(15)|0|28
    $hifty |7.5(6)|6(10)|15.5(5)|0|29
    beakerjoe |7.5(7)|4(13)|13(14)|0|24.5
    Necro |7.5(8)|0.5(15)|20|0|28
    phatkev |7(9)|3(14)|16.5(3)|0|26.5
    Gru |7(10)|7.5|15(7)|0|29.5
    ShaneU |7(11)|10|15.5(6)|0|32.5
    fixXxer |6.5(12)|8.5|14.5(8)|0|29.5
    Electric N.|6(13)|9.5|17|0|32.5
    Pretzill |6(14)|6(11)|13(13)|0|25
    Rikand |5(15)|7(6)|16(4)|0|28

Next reveal will probably be tomorrow night. Tune in for the finale of the closest Walrus possibly ever! :D

Scores After Round

Name|Total
    ShaneU |32.5
    Electric N.|32.5

source.gif

1. The Weirdest Music/Song Ever

I am going to score this one out of fifteen. Weirdness factor scored out of five. Song itself scored out of ten. Added together to give a score out of fifteen.

So everyone still has a chance of winning. I already know the final scores now and I can tell you it's mighty close with some drama.

I am going to score this one out of fifteen. Weirdness factor scored out of five. Song itself scored out of ten. Added together to give a score out of fifteen

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

This is a nice piano-driven bluesy number with gruff, gravelly trilling, interspersed with the rhythm of a harmonica. He's more like a brilliant big bear than a howlin' wolf and I enjoy his grainy tone. Some of the 'whoo hoos' are a little feeble but otherwise it's a stellar performance from a distinctive natural, although I'll bet he can croon to an even higher standard. The lyrics are a bit vapid and he resembles Frank Bruno a little so points deducted for those unforgivable faults.

Vocals: 9/10
    Song: 6.5/10
    Score: 15.5

5th place:
    $hifty

I honestly never expected to see Howlin' Wolf in a walrus reveal. Great shout $hifty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

I am going to score this one out of fifteen. Weirdness factor scored out of five. Song itself scored out of ten. Added together to give a score out of fifteen.

So everyone still has a chance of winning. I already know the final scores now and I can tell you it's mighty close with some drama.

BUT WHEN

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

When i looked at the table initially I thought I was in the running, but then I sorted it by Total and I realised I wasnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Going down the pan with this one (literally) you never said you were going to mark it other than weird! :D

What's the most bizarre song or piece of music you have ever heard? Because I want to hear it too.

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Going down the pan with this one (literally) you never said you were going to mark it other than weird! :D

I think my second to last ranking might capture the wooden spoon because I certainly went weird over good too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I also went wierd, but I also love my submission :D but it probably wont score well lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

I would estimate my chances of scoring 5/5 on weirdness as good, and of scoring 0/10 For the song itself as equally high, hope you've all got ear plugs!

Oh by the way it's not this one, which I would have submitted if I knew the song was being scored instead of just weirdness

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I sort of assume you guys know that the music has to be good too; sort of goes without saying, that's the whole point of it!:p
    Rikand wrote: »
    When i looked at the table initially I thought I was in the running, but then I sorted it by Total and I realised I wasnt.

But you're only 4.5 behind the leader, oh ye of little faith.

Table updated because Homer's score was incorrect. Let me know if you see any more mistakes.

Scores After Round 3

Name|B-side/Live|Funeral Song|Vocal Performance|Weird Music|Total
    Homer J|10|7(7)|14(11)|0|31
    A.S.L.B|9(2)|5.5(12)|14(10)|0|28.5
    tusk |9(3)|6.5(9)|13.5(12)|0|29
    Spook ie |8.5(4)|7(8)|14.5(9)|0|30
    lassykk |8.5(5)|7(5)|12.5(15)|0|28
    $hifty |7.5(6)|6(10)|15.5(5)|0|29
    beakerjoe |7.5(7)|4(13)|13(14)|0|24.5
    Necro |7.5(8)|0.5(15)|20|0|28
    phatkev |7(9)|3(14)|16.5(3)|0|26.5
    Gru |7(10)|7.5|15(7)|0|29.5
    ShaneU |7(11)|10|15.5(6)|0|32.5
    fixXxer |6.5(12)|8.5|14.5(8)|0|29.5
    Electric N.|6(13)|9.5|17|0|32.5
    Pretzill |6(14)|6(11)|13(13)|0|25
    Rikand |5(15)|7(6)|16(4)|0|28

Later, the weirdest song/piece of music category reveal in this order: 12th down to fourth, then 13th and 3rd, 14th and 2nd, 15th and last, 1st and winner.

After that, 3.5 bonus points added to the score of the entrant who entered the best song overall taking into account all four categories.

Then minus 3.5 points to the entrant who entered the worst song overall taking into account all four categories.

Finally to conclude, 3.5 bonus points added to the score of the entrant who guessed my favourite band correctly! And I confirm someone has guessed correctly! But who?

$hifty
    The Beatles
    tusk
    Prince
    Pretzill
    Soundgarden
    Spook ie
    Anything not by Slade
    Necro
    Pearl Jam
    Rikand
    Blur
    Gru
    Foo Fighters
    lassykk
    Nirvana
    ShaneU
    ELO
    beakerjoe
    Prince and the New Power Generation
    FixXxer
    BTS
    Electric Nitwit
    Pink Floyd
    Homer J. Fong
    Metallica
    Also Starring LeVar Burton
    Fleetwood Mac
    phatkev....................................The Rolling Stones

Tune in to find out who will be crowned the champion of Reberrus.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Just realised I went with all-female vocalists for this Walrus, and I can't remember if I did that intentionally or not.

giphy.gif

I sort of assume you guys know that the music has to be good too; sort of goes without saying, that's the whole point of it!:p

Nope, not weird and bizarre - that's normally the sort of music I swerve to be honest :cool:

Kicking this off soon. Songs with tied scores will be placed higher depending on weirdness first, and if that's a tie too, according to personal preference, naturally.

Let battle commence!

Have I heard this song before: No

Apparently, Death Grips are an experimental hip-hop band from America.  The video seems to have cost around 100 dollars to make and suits the song well. I don't know how you would describe this accurately, but it sounds like what I imagine ambient trance hippity-hop to be.This song sounds a bit like a spaceship moving slowly, with a man being anally probed within. Its repetitiveness and longevity are not a good mix.

I can certainly imagine this being enjoyable after an ingestion of copious amounts of drugs. Sadly, the only thing I ingested before listening to this was Crunchy Nut Cornflakes, which although delicious in their own right, don't produce the desired effect on the senses.

Weirdness: 5/5
    Song: 2.5/10
    Overall: 7.5

12th place:
    phatkev

The Men That Will Not Be Blamed For Nothing Isambard Kingdom Brunel

This band must get their name from a message left by Jack The Ripper, so I like them already. This is a good humourous punk ditty. Blastworthy, short, simple and sweet. It's good to see that even gutter punks appreciate the outstanding engineering work of Isambard Kingdom Brunel and are spreading his message to the disenchanted youth of today. It's better than singing about masturbation for the millionth time like those rambunctious rascals Greenday. A lot of men might give this a higher score but...I'm not a lot of men.

Weirdness: 2/5
    Song: 7/10
    Overall: 9

11th place:
    Electric Nitwit

Goes into the lead, but will he stay there?

Have I heard this song before: Yes, but not this cover.

This is a rendition of a Nirvana song. The first time I listened, I genuinely thought it was one of the most distasteful things I'd ever heard, but I quickly learned to tolerate its dark humour. It's supposed to be cheesy, ironic and anti-rape, but it's a bit of an insensitive take on a serious issue.

Nevertheless, this is a good cover which incorporates synthesised brass sound via organ/piano and genuinely good intoning to transform grunge rock into a cruise ship lounge jingle. However, it's not something I would ever want to listen to on an even semi-regular basis and I prefer the original. OK.

Weirdness: 3/5
    Song: 6/10
    Overall: 9

10th place:
    beakerjoe

• Advertisement

The Showhawk Duo Insomnia by Faithless, Kernkraft 400 by Zombie Nation, Sandstorm by Darude (live)

I don't usually watch the videos while listening to music on Youtube. I made an exception for this Walrus but only at the last. It's a good thing, because I presumed that the drumming on this track was being provided by a drum machine or drummer. In reality, the dude with the guitar is doing most, if not all, of the drumming! This is music you can definitely appreciate more upon watching the skill required to produce it. Although I'd prefer pot noodles and the original versions, this is impressive technical noodling, if a bit repetitive and lengthy.

The Showhawk Duo sounds like a WWE tag team. If I were them, I'd get on the phone to Vince McMahon pronto. They could be a mix between Legion Of Doom and the Honky Tonk Man.

Weirdness: 3/5
    Song: 6/10
    Overall:9

9th place:
    lassykk

Advertisement