Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Dunnes gone very expensive?

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

meeeeh wrote: »
    I agree on Lidl potatoes. Maybe it's the plastic bags but they just aren't as good. Some Lidl fruit and veg (lose tomatoes, pears, peaches...) are superior to any main supermarket offering. None of them are great though from perspective of someone who grew up in warmer country.

I'm actually fairly relaxed about food despite impression created here but I do have my preferences. :D

The plastic bags cause the spuds to sweat, it's a cheap way to package them, but not a good one.

As for fruit etc, you mentioned you grew up in a warmer country. There is nothing as heavenly as a local orange. Nothing imported will ever match it.

And yes, I do find Dunnes very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,273 ✭✭✭✭zell12

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

I have a Lidl within a couple of hundred metres of home and did try them for a while but gave up and went back to Dunnes in Cornelscourt. I found the fruit and veg really poor quality and the lack of choice really frustrating! Still find Lidl much cheaper for certain things though - dark chocolate, cashew nuts, olive oil etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Used to shop in M&S for the Italian ready meals the container size has significantly reduced but the price is still 3 for €10.

Dunnes has a sort of identity crisis. It used to be cheap as chips but now wants to be M&S, but it lacks the M&S style. So lots of cheap products but some premium prices. I generally avoid it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I don't overly shop for anything but groceries in Dunne's but I think their trading results are fairly solid. M&S food is grand but most of it is British origin and choosing stuff growing in similar climate I prefer to go for Irish produce. Obviously that are fruit and veg that need to be imported. M&S clothing stores make me feel 20 years older and their trading results reflect that. At this stage I think m&s target customer is over 60 and I would think Dunnes are actually better at reaching wider market.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭Zardoz

I used to do most of my shopping in Aldi but I've switched to Tesco online since last March and I go to Aldi once every 3 weeks for a big shop.
    I've been pleasantly surprised with Tesco's produce and prices, I used to think that they were alot more expensive than Aldi but thats not the case .
    Tesco own produce stuff is very good and they have good special offers on branded stuff.

As for Dunnes I last went in there about 5 years ago and left quickly, the prices were ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

We do Aldi & SuperValu, but only get in superValu what we cant get or dont like in Aldi.
    2 adults and 2 kids in nappies and we spend about €100 a week (can also include things like formula)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

GreeBo wrote: »
    We do Aldi & SuperValu, but only get in superValu what we cant get or dont like in Aldi.
    2 adults and 2 kids in nappies and we spend about €100 a week (can also include things like formula)

Wow that's amazing! We've only one in nappies and spend more than that. Do you meal plan etc?

I found getting formula in boots is good because you get 8points back on a euro with the parenting club (once it's not first infant formula).

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Depends on the branch I think. I generally stick to the local butcher for meat and Dunnes for the rest. When I was feeling particularly rich, I’d stroll round M&S .....but then only leave with a packet of Percy Pigs. Due to Brexit, that luxury is only a distant memory. Oh well!

The Percy Pigs were back the last time I was there. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I reckon the online shopping options are the best way to save money. We do an online shop every week with Supervalu. Family of 5, one in nappies and it comes in around 200 average (ie, it can be 180 some weeks, up to 230eur other weeks). I get a couple of extra bits of meat in a different Supervalu down the road that has an excellent butcher, and that covers all 5 of us for the week. If I was wandering around a shop with a trolley, I suspect I would spend closer to 300eur (which is what was happening last April/May, when there were no online or click and collect slots available), even if I had a list. Have been online shopping for a good 4 years now and I find it is definitely the way to go, especially when there are a few in the house.

There are no Lidls or Aldis that are particularly near for us, the Supervalues are closer.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,626 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

GreeBo wrote: »

Nappies for 4 people? How do you keep the cost down....recycle?

Advertisement