Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Classic Rock Hour with John Kenny

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I find Rory Gallagher a bit hit and miss, but Moonchild is a brilliant song.

Have to say it's a great playlist tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,321 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

SYMPHONY OF DESTRUCTION!!

AH YEAH!! :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Radio One needs more Marty Friedman fretboard wankery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

He plays some great music Kenny knows his stuff and doesn't act the maggott

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

SYMPHONY OF DESTRUCTION!!

AH YEAH!! :D

The classic line up of Dave, David, Marty and Nick. Nick Menza, a beast of a drummer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Menza was a killer drummer, caught them in the SFX. He was playing a Tama Mirage. Their last two drummers just don’t fit, snare is tuned way too high, giving it a weak sound.

Gar and Menza gave them their legendary sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

lab man wrote: »
    He plays some great music Kenny knows his stuff and doesn't act the maggott

I largely agree with that. Although, he did make one mistake last night. He played Paranoid by Black Sabbath to mark the anniversary of the release of their self-titled debut album. The problem is that Paranoid is from their second album also called Paranoid! I sent in a text and to be fair he acknowledged it.

That said, John is very knowledgeable about rock music in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭RINO87

Sounds like a good one last night, must listen back :)

Burn by Deep Purple.

Remember seeing Glenn Hughes perform it in 2011, still had the voice, I miss concerts.

*sigh*

Burn is hands down Deep Purple's best album for me!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭Cole

RINO87 wrote: »
    Sounds like a good one last night, must listen back :)

I tuned in for the second half (haven't listened to JK for years) and it was great stuff...ah Lita Ford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

Last night's playlist was the best so far, right up my alley. It was the sort of lineup that I would have played for myself back in the day when I had a record collection.

How can you tease an hour of songs from 1975 and play nothing from Sabotage by Black Sabbath or High Voltage from AC/DC :(

Lots of Chris Cornell tonight, not a bad thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Pantera on RTE1. Nice! Have to come to terms with the fact that my age means the music of my teen years is now 'Classic Rock'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

some good hard stuff played tonight..reminiscent of his 2FM Metal Show

• Advertisement

Bassfish wrote: »
    Pantera on RTE1. Nice! Have to come to terms with the fact that my age means the music of my teen years is now 'Classic Rock'.

I know its been nearly a year now, but getting surprises like this on Radio 1 still makes me smile!

Spoonman :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭Rossie11

Got into Alice in chains and others listening to his metal show on 2FM in early 90s.. forever indebted.
    If they came along a few years later there was no radio station or show where you would have heard them.

9ba0ccfb1b5db08fb9fb1da6cdd61da0.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

old man down the road - classic video

• Advertisement

I heard much of the show last night.

To mark the anniversary of Rik Ocasek of The Cars, John played You're Just What I Needed. It's a great song. The only issue I have is that he played a song that featured the group's second lead vocalist, bassist Benjamin Orr. I would have thought John might have chosen a tune that actually featured Rik on lead vocals!

That 'Jaded' song by Aerosmith sounds a bit like Foo Fighters.

A lot of Kerrang channel circa 2001 on tonight (No Nu-Metal thankfully)

Wow. Andrew WK there's a memory I forgot that I had! The soundtrack to me and my mates thinking we were in Jackass :)

Nickleback.

VyM1pzt.gif?noredirect

Super Furries save the day yet again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭irs

Completely forgotten how great "Party Hard" was.

At the time I thought it amazing that a band from 80's could still do a song as good as "Crystal".

Oh it's a turn it up to 11 show tonight alright :)

Hocus Pocus by Focus :)

I'm glad he didn't go for the obvious choice of You Shook Me All Night Long, and played Rock n Roll Ain't Noise Pollution instead.

• Advertisement

RINO87 wrote: »
    Hocus Pocus by Focus :)

That's some falsetto that keyboardist/flautist has! :pac:

Overkill, not by Motorhead though :(

I remember your man singing an acoustic version of this on Scrubs.

Sarah by Thin Lizzy is a load of corny bollox.

*Waves lighter in the air*

Hopefully, John will play something from ‘Bat Out Of Hell’ tomorrow night.

https://amp.theguardian.com/music/2021/apr/20/jim-steinman-dies-hitmaker-meat-loaf-celine-dion

RIP

Hopefully, John will play something from ‘Bat Out Of Hell’ tomorrow night.

https://amp.theguardian.com/music/2021/apr/20/jim-steinman-dies-hitmaker-meat-loaf-celine-dion

RIP

While I recognize Jim Steinman's undoubted songwriting ability, I really was not a great fan of his big epic songs, many of which were associated with Meatloaf. In fact, the only Meatloaf song that I really really like is Bat Out of Hell. There are one or two others that I can at best tolerate. One of Jim's worst (for me) was Bonnie Tyler's Total Eclipse of the Heart. That won't feature on a rock show anyway! If Bat out of Hell is not played, then maybe the best compromise for me would be to play Jim Steinman's own version of Rock and Roll Dreams Come Through. I could tolerate that more than Meatloaf's rendition. Jim's version is calmer and has nice piano and clarinet!

2 more weeks remain of JK's show..

How could he cut One by Metallica short before the best part :(

Really enjoyed this stint again, and sad to see it go.

It'll be one of those things that will make me smile when we can hopefully look back on this whole covid affair....
    "Jayaus that was a rough stretch, but do you remeber megadeth, sabbath, seputlura, rage etc being blasted out of it on radio 1?"

The Late Debate will be on a break again soon for the summer..maybe John will return again on this slot?

• Advertisement

Rammstein on Radio 1 !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

I shall be listening to Metallica on the drive to work in the morning.

Hopefully the Classic Rock Hour is back sooner rather than later.

The Late Debate will be on a break again soon for the summer..maybe John will return again on this slot?

Live programming in this slot in the summer? You having a laugh? Haven't they loads of re-runs of "Shur it was better in...." and "Pantisocracy" to regurgitate for us, again....

With three minutes to go, I suddenly remembered to tune in! It was in the middle of the last track - Enter Sandman by Metallica - which was kind of appropriate! I heard John signing off. I think he enjoyed himself. There was a handover with Cathal Dunne who mentioned the music!

There was a handover with Cathal Dunne who mentioned the music!

Cathal Murray !!!

Cathal Murray !!!

Whoops! :o

• Advertisement

Turned on the radio a while ago expecting power chords and big guitar solos, but got boring talk instead :(

Oh.

Right.

:(

At the moment, they seem to be repeating old episodes of ‘Callans Kicks’ after Creedo.

Bring back the rock!

JK is in Tokyo for the Olympics and records his 2XM radio show 'the JK experience' shows from there !

He’s back at 10pm!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement