Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark side of the ring

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Not a hope in hell of that happening. It's been clear for years that Martha hart wants nothing to do with the WWE and let's be honest it's not surprising. We as fans didn't know how their children felt about it and whether they may have a slightly different view point. Well we heard and saw both kids on screen make it very clear on their positions. So it was on life support before and now time of death for Owen hart being in the WWE HOF was May, 2020. Its over.

I pondered if through the Jericho connection, there may be a way AEW could honour him. They are fond of tournaments so you could have a yearly or once off Owen Hart Tag Team classic ala The Dusty/Jim Crockett cups and they could honour Owen with some words or have the trophy presented by Martha or the kids. I am sure Khan would make a nice donation to the Owen Hart Foundation. This way the fans would get their moment to cheer for Owen, the family would see what he meant to the people, and there would be no need to do business with the people responsible for his death.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Monokne wrote: »
    Important to note that it was Ellie Hart, Nattie's mother. Jim got a job scouting talent for WWE out of it, although he lost it pretty quickly because the suit was settled and he was so drugged out of it.

Didn't know that part. That's sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,182 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I pondered if through the Jericho connection, there may be a way AEW could honour him. They are fond of tournaments so you could have a yearly or once off Owen Hart Tag Team classic ala The Dusty/Jim Crockett cups and they could honour Owen with some words or have the trophy presented by Martha or the kids. I am sure Khan would make a nice donation to the Owen Hart Foundation. This way the fans would get their moment to cheer for Owen, the family would see what he meant to the people, and there would be no need to do business with the people responsible for his death.

AEW getting involved would be publicity-seeking in the extreme.

Anyway, Owen is already in a hall of fame and one that Martha Hart is happy with...

Martha-e1590002831760.jpg

https://lastwordonprowrestling.com/2020/05/20/owen-hart-legacy-without-wwe-hof/

Unlike WWE, that Hall of Fame actually exists and is a place you can visit.

Martha Hart has no issue with Owen being honoured, just not by WWE. It should be left at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

J. Marston wrote: »

Anyway, Owen is already in a hall of fame and one that Martha Hart is happy with...

Martha Hart has no issue with Owen being honoured, just not by WWE. It should be left at that.

That is why I suggested Tony Khan making a donation to the Owen Foundation.

AEW would provide the only other English language speaking worldwide platform to honour him on a wrestling show.

• Advertisement

Mark Henry's HoF speech just popped into my mind.
    ...in the hindsight of those show it really was painfully inappropriate.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

• Registered Users Posts: 40,004 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Mark Henry's HoF speech just popped into my mind.
    ...in the hindsight of those show it really was painfully inappropriate.

Or maybe it was a very close friend of Owens saying something genuine about his friend ? Any chance that's all there was to mark Henry's HOF speech ?

Or maybe it was a very close friend of Owens saying something genuine about his friend ? Any chance that's all there was to mark Henry's HOF speech ?

I'm not questioning Henry's intention more just wondering, if he was as close to Owen as he says, why he wouldn't respect the family's wishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

I'm not questioning Henry's intention more just wondering, if he was as close to Owen as he says, why he wouldn't respect the family's wishes.

What did Henry specifically say?

• Advertisement

Blanco100 wrote: »
    What did Henry specifically say?
    That Owen should be in the WWE HOF.

Well during her interview with Jericho he asked her would she be open to other wrestling companies like AEW honouring Owen but to be fair to Jericho when he said AEW he quickly said something like "or whatever other company" so J I think Jericho was worried about it being seen as him pushing AEW.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

In fairness, does he need to be in the f*cking bogus WWE HOF for fans to remember his legacy?

I know my own fond memories of watching him will not be enhanced anymore than they currently are by seeing his induction used to sell tickets to the main show the following night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

Nice sweeping generalisation there abiut calling people ignorant.

Fair enough, I just don't think Martha Hart deserves the hate that she gets online. WWE Hall of Fame is a joke that lacks any real credibility and it is not like only hall of fame out there.

Fair enough, I just don't think Martha Hart deserves the hate that she gets online. WWE Hall of Fame is a joke that lacks any real credibility and it is not like only hall of fame out there.

I agree Martha hart doesn't deserve any hate. It lacks credibility fair enough but at least some of the inductees see it as an honour and that's why regardless of the merits of the thing that's an important thing.

It was both.

I understand his friends and coworkers wanting to honour him.

I understand his widow refusing to allow the company that were responsible for her children growing up without a father make money off his name or try and portray it as though it was just an accident and we are all friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭briany

I'm surprised that Bret Hart could find it in his heart to forgive Vince McMahon if the facts about Owen's death are indeed the facts. Is it truly the case that Bret, and some other members of the Hart family who Martha Hart hints at, are more loyal to Vince McMahon and the WWE than their one of their own? That was certainly what Martha seemed to be getting at.

briany wrote: »
    I'm surprised that Bret Hart could find it in his heart to forgive Vince McMahon if the facts about Owen's death are indeed the facts. Is it truly the case that Bret, and some other members of the Hart family who Martha Hart hints at, are more loyal to Vince McMahon and the WWE than their one of their own? That was certainly what Martha seemed to be getting at.

I'm not surprised with Bret making up with vince as we have seen with the stampede library and him owning his footage which is why it was removed from the network he's more interested in controlling his legacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,182 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

It's unimaginable to me. Imagine your brother dying in those circumstances and then not siding with his widow and now fatherless kids, instead continuing to work with a slimeball like Vince, who had the audacity to countersue Martha.

The Harts are something else.

It's unimaginable to me. Imagine your brother dying in those circumstances and then not siding with his widow and now fatherless kids, instead continuing to work with a slimeball like Vince, who had the audacity to countersue Martha.

The Harts are something else.

That whole family are strange. Although some of the grandchildren seem to be okay but nattie seems to speak in this weird hybrid of real/ kayfabe way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

I'm so late to this show. The Owen episode was fascinating, coming from the families point of view, and not getting the same "tragic accident" story we've had for years.

I've just finished the Benoit episodes and I found it to be incredibly upsetting, even though nothing was new. What an horrific story.

Looking forward to catching up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭Matmania

Such a good series. Growing up as a kid loving wrestling its an eye opener. The Owen Hart one is really sad. Also the macho man one. Really good series. Some characters in the wrestling. As everything its going pro but back in the day i think they where wing it. Alot made the ulimate sacrifice. Sad but like alot of sports they where the starters. Formula one had the crashes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I just watched the Owen episode and I found it a very tough watch. I grew up idolising him and Bret and I gave up on wrestling altogether shortly after 2000 for a good 10 years but I wonder why no one mentioned the elephant in the room in this case... if Owen didn't break Steve Austin's neck and his brother did not controversially leave the company he would not have been playing that character and dangling out of the roof in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

2ndcoming wrote: »
    I just watched the Owen episode and I found it a very tough watch. I grew up idolising him and Bret and I gave up on wrestling altogether shortly after 2000 for a good 10 years but I wonder why no one mentioned the elephant in the room in this case... if Owen didn't break Steve Austin's neck and his brother did not controversially leave the company he would not have been playing that character and dangling out of the roof in the first place.

Because neither were particular relevant to the story being told.

A mouse in the room may have been a better idiom there, to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

The Owen episode was very sad. However, I did find it weird that Martha brought her kids out on that catwalk from where their father plummeted to his death.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

sirmanga wrote: »
    The Owen episode was very sad. However, I did find it weird that Martha brought her kids out on that catwalk from where their father plummeted to his death.

Owen's son did say why she did it in the episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Owen's son did say why she did it in the episode.

Yeah. Something about so they'd "never have to wonder."
    Whatever that means. Just found it to be very strange. I'm sure her head was all over the place but if they were my kids I'd want to keep them away from something so traumatic until they are old enough to decide for themselves if they want to go visit the arena.

Other than that, I found Martha to be very likeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

sirmanga wrote: »
    Yeah. Something about so they'd "never have to wonder."
    Whatever that means. Just found it to be very strange. I'm sure her head was all over the place but if they were my kids I'd want to keep them away from something so traumatic until they are old enough to decide for themselves if they want to go visit the arena.

Other than that, I found Martha to be very likeable.

I'm guessing she did it as a means to protect them, help them understand and to be fair to her, it seems to have worked.

Either way, it was a tragedy that could and should've been avoided.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,698 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

764dak wrote: »

I wonder is this why Nattie has a job for life.

I now she is very popular backstage but that's never stopped Vince sacking anyone.

Tamina has a job for life too I#d also wonder has that something to do with what Vince had in the briefcase when he went to the police station to bail out Superfly.

Advertisement