Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Plugging Laptop into Router Kills all Wireless Connections

• 25-03-2020 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭

We've a bit of a strange one. Broadband is with Three - no issues there. All devices in the house (2 phones, 2 Google Home, Nvidia Shield, tablet etc.) connect to the network wireless with the exception of my laptop. I work from home (have for last 2 years, not related to current situation) so I connect to the router physically to ensure best connection for video calls etc.

So the issue is as follows - whenever my laptop plugs into the router, wireless connections drop to everything else in the house. The wireless network is still visible, but won't let anything connect to it. If we try to connect, it looks like it's connecting for a second and then just stops - wifi still visible, but not connected. As this happens whenever a physical connection is made to the router, it's a few times a day (every time the laptop goes to sleep and turns back on etc).

The issue is solved by either turning the router off and back on again or by restarting the router through the browser admin panel. I've successfully ignored it until now, but with everyone at home all the time now, it's a bit more painful. Anything obvious that would be killing it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 LTUMaximus

What broadband company are you using?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

I'd suspect a hardware fault on the wireless Router.

Ask them to pick one of the 299 spares they have on a shelf and get it delivered to your door.

Do this now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Thanks folks - this is partially solved. Looks like it's only happening if I plug in my laptop with wireless enabled, which suggests some type of IP clash/confusion. It's my own router (rolling sim contract with 3) so there'll be no replacements coming my way :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

I'm not sure your computer can connect via WiFi and ethernet at the same time.
    But if that's the issue it does sound like a broadcast storm alright. Will bring network in house to a grinding halt as the router gets indaunuated with its own requests coming back around again and again.
    You get the same behaviour if you plug a patch lead into one port leading to another port.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

babi-hrse wrote: »
    I'm not sure your computer can connect via WiFi and ethernet at the same time.
    But if that's the issue it does sound like a broadcast storm alright. Will bring network in house to a grinding halt as the router gets indaunuated with its own requests coming back around again and again.
    You get the same behaviour if you plug a patch lead into one port leading to another port.

Its degraded not gone so it could be a storm but it wouldnt surprise me if DHCP is on on their LAN interface and its responding faster than the cheapo LTE router. Bad DG, no traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,568 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Sounds like a duplicate IP.
    Did you modify the DHCP range to include the management/gateway IP of the router? Is the laptop setup with a static IP which conflicts with the router, or possibly with another device on the network?
    Don't think you need a new routher just yet. I'd recommend that you reset the router, clear any static IP off the laptop and other devices and try connecting again.

In terms of having both the Ethernet and the WLAN enabled on the laptop, this should be fine as both adapters should have different IP addresses and Windows should assign the WLAN a lower path priority than the Ethernet, routing all traffic over Ethernet where it is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

10-10-20 wrote: »
    Sounds like a duplicate IP.
    Did you modify the DHCP range to include the management/gateway IP of the router? Is the laptop setup with a static IP which conflicts with the router, or possibly with another device on the network?
    Don't think you need a new routher just yet. I'd recommend that you reset the router, clear any static IP off the laptop and other devices and try connecting again.

In terms of having both the Ethernet and the WLAN enabled on the laptop, this should be fine as both adapters should have different IP addresses and Windows should assign the WLAN a lower path priority than the Ethernet, routing all traffic over Ethernet where it is available.

So the router acts as DHCP for the network. Laptop is set to automatically pick up IP addresses for ethernet, so that shouldn't be it (although it does sound like what's happening in fairness). Is it possible that the wireless is configured differently (e.g. with static IP)?

Advertisement