Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vodafone VDSL drops at least once a day

• 25-03-2020 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

My vdsl connection drops at least once a day then reconnects after a minute or so.

Router is the HG659.

The router uptime shows that the router is not rebooting and it's just the dsl connection that drops, wireless connectivity to the router is still fine.

Tried the usual like factory reset and rebooting the router etc

Attached are the stats 30 minutes after the last drop

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Vodafone has a daily forced disconnect/reconnect, where it would drop the pppoe session. This is to enforce a dynamic IP address change.

Part of the way, how some providers implement their broadband.

Now, if you had for example an AVM Fritz!Box router, that many providers supply (apart from Vodafone and Eir, who use something else), then you could schedule that re-connect for lets say 4:00 in the morning.

I don't think the Vodafone router has that feature.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

I’m after signing up to Vodafone for siro today and now I see this! :(

I haven’t a clue what Vsdl is ... is that the same as siro? I’m I likely to have this problem through siro ? Think I’m getting the gigabox... that any good?

LillySV wrote: »
    I’m after signing up to Vodafone for siro today and now I see this! :(

I haven’t a clue what Vsdl is ... is that the same as siro? I’m I likely to have this problem through siro ? Think I’m getting the gigabox... that any good?

VDSL is a copper phone line. Also called FTTC or Fibre to the Cabinet.

What you have ordered is FTTH.

The daily disconnect is something that happens on any kind of Vodafone residential product. It also happens on a lot of other providers. It's a feature, not a problem.

It is just inconvenient, when it happens on the wrong time of the day.

If you can't force it in the router, then stay up late one night and plug the router out and back in. It'll reconnect every 24 hours at that point then. ... at least until somebody plugs it out during daytime again.

Lots of other providers do it, too. It's part of their billing cycle or how they provision the connection. With Airwire for example, it happens once a week.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Marlow wrote: »
    Lots of other providers do it, too. It's part of their billing cycle or how they provision the connection. With Airwire for example, it happens once a week.

Its a bit of an old fashioned way of doing things at this point IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 j1mboj0nes

Vodafone has a daily forced disconnect/reconnect, where it would drop the pppoe session. This is to enforce a dynamic IP address change.

Part of the way, how some providers implement their broadband.

Now, if you had for example an AVM Fritz!Box router, that many providers supply (apart from Vodafone and Eir, who use something else), then you could schedule that re-connect for lets say 4:00 in the morning.

I don't think the Vodafone router has that feature.

/M

It's happened 3 times today so far so I think it may be something else

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Its a bit of an old fashioned way of doing things at this point IMO.

It is. But a lot of providers still do it that way ... or use old fashioned billing systems.

/M

j1mboj0nes wrote: »
    It's happened 3 times today so far so I think it may be something else

Just dropped again, that's 4 times today. See attached pic for the outputs

Just dropped again, that's 4 times today. See attached pic for the outputs

And here are the outputs after the reconnection, is the upstream output power a concern here, it always is a negative number

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

VDSL is a copper phone line. Also called FTTC or Fibre to the Cabinet.

What you have ordered is FTTH.

The daily disconnect is something that happens on any kind of Vodafone residential product. It also happens on a lot of other providers. It's a feature, not a problem.

It is just inconvenient, when it happens on the wrong time of the day.

If you can't force it in the router, then stay up late one night and plug the router out and back in. It'll reconnect every 24 hours at that point then. ... at least until somebody plugs it out during daytime again.

/M

You don’t happen to know if the gigabox is any good or is it a pile of junk?

And here are the outputs after the reconnection, is the upstream output power a concern here, it always is a negative number

That seems to be your actual VDSL line (and not the PPPoE session) dropping there based on the line uptime. That would indeed be something different.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Don’t know the technical jargon but we had two days this week of Vodafone dropping/disconnecting maybe 40 times a day - back anything from a minute later up c10 minutes later. Vodafone did some tinkering at their end - so far so good last two days but very slow

Advertisement