Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do if someone refuses to self isolate

• 25-03-2020 3:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭

My position is that my boss has flu symptoms, headache, cough, aches and pains. He's been off work just 2 days and plans on coming back tomorrow. He should obviously be self-isolating but won't.

If he comes in tomorrow, I plan to then leave and go home, though I am likely putting my job at risk in doing so.

What is the policy when someone refuses to self-isolate? Is there somewhere you can report it to?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Could ask Citizens' Information. They might be able to point you in the right direction.

If your company has a HR department then you could talk to them first. Should be a no-brainer for them really so I imagine it would be addressed quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Better to be fighting for your job than your life. Screw him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Better to be fighting for your job than your life. Screw him.
    Well they'd definitely catch it then.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'd be reporting any selfish prick like that. A prick like that could infect a few people, who in turn... He could easily end up causing a death and fcukwits like him will push back the time when we can all start to go back to normal and get back to life and business. What an utter wanker. As it turns out I know of someone similar. Very sick over the last week, with the same kind of symptoms feels a little better and is starting working again. Of course he's not telling the people he's dealing with every day(anywhere from a few to over a dozen). Again another bullheaded selfish prick.

The thing is who do you report fcukwits like this to?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Fionne

It's a small family run business so no HR department, the boss is basically the overall owner.

It leaves me with little option but to just walk out, doesn't it? Health is more important. It doesn't stop him spreading it to all my other colleagues or the general public (which he would be dealing with in the job). I'm surprised there's not some system set up to deal with irresponsible people like this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

What sort of fella is he, a table banging do as I say not as I do type I take it? Or to be nicer, is he someone who thinks the place will fall apart without his hard work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Report to the Gardai or HSE or both....

Send him the link to the rules.

If he comes in walk out that door and be nowhere near him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

FonE wrote: »
    My position is that my boss has flu symptoms, headache, cough, aches and pains. He's been off work just 2 days and plans on coming back tomorrow. He should obviously be self-isolating but won't.

If he comes in tomorrow, I plan to then leave and go home, though I am likely putting my job at risk in doing so.

What is the policy when someone refuses to self-isolate? Is there somewhere you can report it to?

As your employer they have responsibility under the Safety, Health and Welfare at Work Act 2005.

Although the HSE are the lead agency, people who refuse to self isolate, can be reported to the police.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0306/1120663-coronavirus-garda-harris/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Down load the information from the HSE that say he should work from home and self isolate, ask him, which would be better for the company he stays home for two weeks or you all leave him to keep it running on his own. If he has it in black and white from the HSE he can't deny it. If there are other business owners let them know the situation. If he fires you you get the covid payment. Or you could call the guards too and have him taken away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Heard something recently where workers in a small business all voted to walk out if their boss did not self isolate after Cheltenham.

Have you talked to other employees.
    There is power in numbers.

If they refuse to back you up, then fook them.

Can owner work from home?
    If they are not ar**hole, but as someone mentioned one of those who thinks the place will fall apart without them, offer to help them work from home.

If they are the ar**hole type who threaten to fire you, ask him how well it will play in employment appeals tribunal down the road and remind him that people won't forget he is putting his business ahead of his employees and customers health.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Hi,

Apologies for the post if incorrect place.

We have a situation. I don’t want to give lots of information but briefly...

We have carers that call for a family member. The carer due for this evening has called in sick with fever and cough so was taken off our roster for the evening.

However they offered to send her tomorrow if she is feeling better.

Surely somebody with those symptoms should be self isolating?

We said we don’t want her to come to us for 2 weeks because of the risks, but my concern is that perhaps she might get sent to other vulnerable clients.

Is there anyone I could or should contact on this? Or am I better off leaving it be?

sullivlo wrote: »
    Hi,

Apologies for the post if incorrect place.

We have a situation. I don’t want to give lots of information but briefly...

We have carers that call for a family member. The carer due for this evening has called in sick with fever and cough so was taken off our roster for the evening.

However they offered to send her tomorrow if she is feeling better.

Surely somebody with those symptoms should be self isolating?

We said we don’t want her to come to us for 2 weeks because of the risks, but my concern is that perhaps she might get sent to other vulnerable clients.

Is there anyone I could or should contact on this? Or am I better off leaving it be?

HIQA/threaten to call them

I wouldnt leave it off,as this could potentially be life and death issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

Wouldn't just threaten, I'd report. If you threaten, they'll send you someone else and send her to a different person.

They’re not open tonight. The issue could be tomorrow. I rang the hse helpline and they suggested public health office but they’re closed too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'd second calling HIQA. I had to do so myself a few years ago over issues with a particular carer company and they took it very seriously.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭NSAman

Same issue raised about two weeks ago for my family. Told carer that didn’t want to have her coming into an elderly relative. She was great about it, no masks given and was going between elderly people.

It was not the carer was the problem but the crowd she worked for.... they were bloody awful. They said if carer was not coming in the person was deemed not to want care and hours would be cancelled. Between the carer, my family and the elderly person, it was agreed to say nothing to the agency, but to phone three times a week and if anything needed she would come over,,, otherwise stay away.

Anyone showing signs should not be going into people’s homes even if they are not vulnerable.

report it

Wibbs wrote: »
    I'd second calling HIQA. I had to do so myself a few years ago over issues with a particular carer company and they took it very seriously.
    Hiqa closed. Carer will be working tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭NSAman

NO WAY I would be letting her in the door. Sorry.

If you are a relative, stand up for that elderly woman. This carer could easily say she was there and not show up. Safer for all.

I would absolutely phone and report this not only to HIQA but to the agency too

Jesus....id send her.away if she turns up

I assume,this carer knows the risks and will self-isolate

• Advertisement

1) she won’t be coming to the house and if she does I have removed the key so she can’t access
    2) I will report to hiqa but they are closed until Monday.
    3) my concern is the other individuals because I don’t think his carer is going to self isolate.

Is there anyone I can contact out of hours?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭Be right back

1) she won’t be coming to the house and if she does I have removed the key so she can’t access
    3) my concern is the other individuals because I don’t think his carer is going to self isolate.

Does the agency have an out of hours contact number?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

Might be a long shot, but Gardai? They might be able to have a word. Maybe there's something in those emergency powers that are useful.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,194 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

kill him
    cut off his head
    boil it until the skull is clean bone
    saw off the top
    = handy Hummus container , and quite the talking point at dinner partys .

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Lizardlegz

Hi there, as a last resort I would be ringing the Gardai tonight and giving the name of the agency and the carer. I hope I’m not sounding dramatic but if everywhere else is closed I’m hoping the least the will be able to do will be provide you with contact number of a referral place that you can report this to in the morning? At most... they may be able to get hold of the agency in some way. Maybe if you have the carers phone number you could give this to the Garda. With any luck a short call form them will put them off working for a couple of days until the agency can be contacted on Monday?

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

Gonna go with a view against the majority here, one that will let you keep your job and still pander to the panic... assuming you can self isolate.

Given that for the vast majority of people it's more mild than the flu one option is to go to work as normal. Take the usual "that person has the flu, better keep my distance" steps, and then self isolate at home yourself to prevent it going beyond you.

Half the people who've died would be dead within a year anyhow, Corona or no Corona. Obviously don't go near them until two weeks after the boss is better and you're asymptomatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

All you can do is try and talk to him and make him see sense, if he refuses then you have a hard decision to make. I'm actually amazed at how many people are ignoring this or not taking it seriously. An extended family member who is a fairly rounded individual although at times can be self centred rang me and asked me to call over to his place for a visit, when I refused and told him I couldn't due to the present circumstances he got quite annoyed and told me I was being overdramatic. I didn't argue with him but I didn't go over to his house either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

What to do if someone refuses to self isolate??

This is what you do

• Advertisement
Advertisement