Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic advice please

Options
  • 25-03-2020 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi all,

Newbie gardener here so pardon the rather basic question. I had the garden done last May so (finally!) season 2 is underway. My question is what to do with the dead plant material from last year which now has the new season’s growth coming through (see pics). Do I just leave it or do I need to cut the dead material away.

Final question: generally how long do these types of plant last (assuming you can identify them from the pics): would I get a few seasons out of them?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭toddunctious

you can snap away dry dead material or cut it. Both are perennial meaning they come back for several years. first is a sedum, second a coneflower or rudbeckia maybe

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

just snip the dead growth away whenever suits.
    first one is a sedum, which is a herbaceous perennial - i.e. the growth above ground dies back in the winter, but below ground stays alive and returns in spring. should last for years.

Advertisement