Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 controller behaving badly

Options
  • 26-03-2020 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

After complaining about the camera in SOTC and the FFVII remake demo I've realised that there was a chance it was my controller.

After testing the controller on https://html5gamepad.com/ I've realised that the right stick is definitely misbehaving. It alternates between sitting where it's supposed to, to sending inputs as if it was fully pushed up. Its also appearing to move the right stick up a bit if I press L2.

Just wondering if anyone has tried to fix this before? I've seen a few videos that I think I'd be willing to try, but almost all of them look for rubbing alcohol, which I don't have so wondering if there are any recommended alternatives?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

Alcohol wipes? Maybe windolene?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Cheers for that Dudeeile, I have to order a few parts from amazon now regardless since my small philips head seems to have disappeared. Going to see if I can order a set of stuff, new thumbsticks, rubbing alcohol, prying tools and a screwdriver. Hoping that picking these up and then fixing the 2/3 controllers I have is much more cost effective than just buying a new one.

If Amazon will ship to me that is :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

Don't think you'll get rubbing alcohol shipped but Boots will sell it to you, they have 500ml bottles of isopropyl alcohol, they'll ask what you want it for just to be sure you're not drinking it or making bombs.

I'd recommend you install Xbox One thumbsticks, much better than the standard ds4 ones.

Just to update this, I had to buy a screwdriver set to find a head to open the controller after all and followed a tutorial to clean the dualshock sensors for detecting movement.

Brief moment of panic when i put the controller back together the first time as it made it way worse but the second time I tried to fix it, it seems to be much better with a barely noticeable input on the right stick. Surprised myself a bit in my ability to take the controller apart to fix it, but not as bad as I thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

Do you go to that website on your PS4?

• Advertisement

phobia2011 wrote: »
    Do you go to that website on your PS4?

No just plug the controller into a pc or laptop. Turn it on and go to the website. Should pick it up straight away?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭TrivialArguer

Stick drift is a pretty common issue unfortunately

Stick drift is a pretty common issue unfortunately

As someone not very comfortable with playing with hardware, I was surprised how easy it was to clean out the sticks to fix the issue, once I had the right tools. I should have bought the tools years ago

Advertisement