Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XI - 2,615 in ROI (46 deaths) 410 in NI (21 deaths)(29/03)*OP upd 28/03*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

They tend to live in large close-knit multigenerational family groups and in clusters (halting sites) so the chances of community spread are probably greater.

Applies to apartment blocks in any city or town in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭snoopboggybog

I think you miss my point. My run will now be on busy paths where distancing is impossible, whereas up until today it has been me in isolation. So in my specific case I am now more at risk of spreading the virus. I’m not going to not run (as I am allowed to do, despite your ‘stay at home’ protestations)

Jaysus, just use your common sense. If your driving to a mountain or something or have a specific path or a farm with no one around your okay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,020 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Putting together a page with some online services that have been made free during this whole thing. Might interest some here

https://covid19.shanehastings.eu/giveback/

Well done.

Am a big fan of the free BorrowBox from our Libraries. Just one thing from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I could run 20 miles and back and no one would even know.

We'd all know you're an idiot though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Print out a form
    Write in Name date address
    Tick box beside your reason for leaving
    sign form
    Have id and form on you while outside
    Most people don't have printers. How does it work in that case?

That's pretty much the system in France.
    If you don't have a printer a hand written note will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Prove it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Most people don't have printers. How does it work in that case?

Scribble it on a piece of paper and conceal it up your hole until asked to produce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭This is it

Eh what? For what it’s worth I haven’t left my house in over a week and my past posts with attest to that. I’m wondering who will actually be monitoring this, for those who do not respect the measures. Calm your tits ffs

:D love that phrase

That is the answer though. There'll be very little policing done regarding this unless it's something blatantly obviously. Groups of teens, maybe a few checkpoints, but in reality, it's down to personal responsibility. Shop local when you need to, short walks for fresh air, keep it to a minimum.

I've my nana on to me to go down and hang a clock for her tomorrow... Ah yeah, but it'll be grand, I'll wait in the sitting room while you do it...

Did you not hear the news ffs! No social visits, no unnecessary visits, over 70s to "cocoon"!

I love her to death but some people just don't get it, or understand how contagious this is :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

Are they going to release prisoners now to prevent spread? How is that going to work? House arrest bands?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

elperello wrote: »
    That's pretty much the system in France.
    If you don't have a printer a hand written note will do.

Fair enough. I heard about the printed form in France. I didn't know you could write a note though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

El Weirdo wrote: »

that wasn’t updated at 11pm tonight when i looked & sent them a complainey email. Its a bit much being so badly out of step and 3 days behind their own press office. As for their stats Jesus Christ himself must have been out doing overtime as people are being lazarused from their ‘died’ lists and death stats quicker than you cay 4 99’s and 6 singles of chips please.

Given that the govt release press releases at the drop of a coin its a pity they didn’t have their act together in this one. But heyho - we’ll pick it up off social media or somewhere as a urban legend later. No crisis here. Are these emergency LAWS or govt requests. Still not clear. And what powers will the police have in this? No notion on that either. And rhat website isn’t saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Are they going to release prisoners now to prevent spread? How is that going to work? House arrest bands?

The big important question for me is whether they're going to take the roads in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭paul71

By why would you, other then deliberately trying to flout a law put into place to protect peoples lives?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭pgj2015

We'd all know you're an idiot though.

so running through a deserted area alone is going to cause the virus to spread all over the country is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Fair enough. I heard about the printed form in France. I didn't know you could write a note though.

Very practical and pragmatic the French :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,723 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Surely they must have some tracking on it - you need to have ID on you at all times in France?

I'd be more than happy for incremental fines for people breaking the new restrictions with no upper limit!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Seamai wrote: »
    Pathetic.

Which is why the next measure brought in will be fines for people like this knob jockey who don`t follow the rules. This should really have been announced tonight.

that wasn’t updated at 11pm tonight when i looked & sent them a complainey email. Its a bit much being so badly out of step and 3 days behind their own press office. As for their stats Jesus Christ himself must have been out doing overtime as people are being lazarused from their ‘died’ lists and death stats quicker than you cay 4 99’s and 6 singles of chips please.

Given that the govt release press releases at the drop of a coin its a pity they didn’t have their act together in this one. But heyho - we’ll pick it up off social media or somewhere as a urban legend later. No crisis here. Are these emergency LAWS or govt requests. Still not clear. And what powers will the police have in this? No notion on that either. And rhat website isn’t saying.

Yes it's a shame that they hadn't got all the lists and information ready to go this evening but the advice was to close up immediately. It's only a minor complaint and is absolutely not worth an email that someone with more important stuff to be doing such as preparing lists of essential businesses hopefully won't read and won't reply to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Yes you could, go for it. A wee forty mile run tomorrow morning sounds like a great idea.

• Advertisement

so running through a deserted area alone is going to cause the virus to spread all over the country is it?

Look, go for oyur run , just wear a special issue plastic bag over your head to stop the spread. Win wIN??

The big important question for me is whether they're going to take the roads in.

They can't. Where would the joggers go?!

Eh what? For what it’s worth I haven’t left my house apart from the odd isolated walk in over a week and my past posts with attest to that. I’m wondering who will actually be monitoring this, for those who do not respect the measures. Calm your tits ffs

Monitor your own behaviour, that is what government are asking, you already seem to be doing so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

This is it wrote: »
    :D love that phrase

That is the answer though. There'll be very little policing done regarding this unless it's something blatantly obviously. Groups of teens, maybe a few checkpoints, but in reality, it's down to personal responsibility. Shop local when you need to, short walks for fresh air, keep it to a minimum.

I've my nana on to me to go down and hang a clock for her tomorrow... Ah yeah, but it'll be grand, I'll wait in the sitting room while you do it...

Did you not hear the news ffs! No social visits, no unnecessary visits, over 70s to "cocoon"!

I love her to death but some people just don't get it, or understand how contagious this is :(

Thank you for answering respectfully and not being an absolutely preachy gowl for the sake of it :D
    Ah sure your Nana is ten a penny. They’ve lived though worse, don’t see the fuss. Think we’re all daft! But we’ll do it for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

What's the fines/deterrent to people using public transport and saying they are going to work etc. Like if you have no ID etc. Just wondering how they will enforce it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Getting to the deserted area first , might.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Sono Topolino

This exercise stuff is mad.

By the way it's not a lockdown.

They need to just ban jogging and cycling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

This is will not stop me doing my daily 10K run thats for sure.

Jayus there are an awful lot of Forest Gumps in Ireland suddenly.

Everywhere you go you are potentially infecting surfaces - the virus lives a long time on surfaces so it doesn't matter a damn if there is no one around when you are out.

Some numbskulls on boards tonight

I think you should definitely go running. In fact keep running. Don't ever come back.

• Advertisement

theballz wrote: »

The only 10k you have done is running back and forth to the ****ter. Stop now trying to be billy big bollox.

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    What's the fines/deterrent to people using public transport and saying they are going to work etc. Like if you have no ID etc. Just wondering how they will enforce it.

The same way as any other law is enforced. Complaints from the public or Gardaí witnessing it directly.

Most people don't need a big stick waved at them to refrain from gross eejitry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Well done.

Am a big fan of the free BorrowBox from our Libraries. Just one thing from me.

Borrowbox is unreal. I've had it about a year and still can't believe it's free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭pgj2015

fritzelly wrote: »
    Everywhere you go you are potentially infecting surfaces - the virus lives a long time on surfaces so it doesn't matter a damn if there is no one around when you are out.

Some numbskulls on boards tonight

leo is probably spreading is around more than i will be.

dont worry about it, looking forward to it now. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

http://shanghaiist.com/2020/03/27/urns-in-wuhan-far-exceed-death-toll-raising-more-questions-about-chinas-tally/
    The reliability of Chinese stats called into question yet again as thousands and thousands of urns are distributed from Wuhan mortuaries to the families of coronavirus victims who are now finally allowed to collect them. 2500 today alone, and 2500 yesterday, from one mortuary in one city in China.

I wonder will we ever figure out the true death toll in China .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Get Real

I could dump asbestos in the Wicklow Mountains in the middle of the night and no one would know.

I could steal a purse from an unlocked car with no CCTV footage and no one would know.

What's wrong with doing a 20mile run within the 2km radius?

I don't see the point in stating the obvious just to feel like "I showed them" or "ha, so many holes in this policy". It's easy to run outside the radius, but equally as easy to run within it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

China updated today with +54 new cases and +3 new deaths.

According to the Chinese government ALL 54 cases were imported, meaning if true China could well be heading for 0 new cases shortly given they've now banned international travel into the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭gnarbarian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

Strazdas wrote: »
    The 2km thing presumably applies to visits to supermarkets and pharmacies as well. A person from Tallaght is not supposed to be driving to Ballymun or the city centre to do their grocery shopping......the general understanding I took from the Taoiseach's address is that people are expected largely to remain in their own area for the next fortnight.

Jesus, they’re going to starve us in rural Ireland so, as no one outside a town lives within 2km of a grocery shop :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭rodDaly69

There is a large number of Irish people who straight think about how to break a law and get away with it rather than trying to understand what it's about it and complying. Ever notice how many gob****es will be up your hole if you drive at 50 through a village but you'll lose straight away once you speed up to 80 outside the village?

Off topic, but Jesus Christ its the truth. Whenever travelling on country roads, I will be stuck behind some wreck of a yaris/micra/corolla driven by a "cocooning" candidate shall we say, doing at best 60 on an 80/100 N road.

As soon as we hit the village with the 50KM/H speed limit they'l rip ahead of me, in fact if anything they speed up on the 'grand straight road, arah no cars to hit Ill be grand. Pedestrians? Sure what does that matter? aren't they squishy sure?'.

Boils my píss no end.

You're right though. Every cretin is screaming 'but shur how doez deh garda no wot your doin?' These will be the same people cribbing about 'Granny ded wit all deh anglez smokin a joint wit 2pac nd biggie. fuk vardkerere he don nutin to help uz x x x x x x'. These people can never and will never take personal responsibility.

I just hope that it's the ones who couldn't be arsed to make the small sacrifices are the ones that suffer if anyone must. Although the unfortunate truth is that it will be plenty of these twonks that make the jobs of the various healthcare professionals more arduous, & also more dangerous by exposing them to more of the contagion than might have actually been necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Get Real

theballz wrote: »

Of course it won't, because you can do a 10km run within a 2km radius without even retracing/repeating your route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭growleaves

I could dump asbestos in the Wicklow Mountains in the middle of the night and no one would know.

I could steal a purse from an unlocked car with no CCTV footage and no one would know.

What's wrong with doing a 20mile run within the 2km radius?

I don't see the point in stating the obvious just to feel like "I showed them" or "ha, so many holes in this policy". It's easy to run outside the radius, but equally as easy to run within it.

Maybe you could compromise and dump asbsestos within 2km.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭maebee

I grew up in a "Dev was God" household. FF was the only way to vote, which I carried from when I got the vote until this year. Leo and the Simons were dust after the last election but boy have they stood up. Feck this civil war politics. They are doing unbelievable stuff to get us through this mental crisis and I support them and will give them my vote from now on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

dont you know, anything people enjoy is not allowed, no running, no drinking etc

That is the way some people on here want things, if they dont like it then no one can do it and they seem to take a weird enjoyment out of this.

im still going for as long a run as i want btw.

Some French guy ran a marathon on a balcony. Could you not just run in a little circle in the porch? :D

China updated today with +54 new cases and +3 new deaths.

According to the Chinese government ALL 54 cases were imported, meaning if true China could well be heading for 0 new cases shortly given they've now banned international travel into the country.

Chinese man pops over to Hong Kong for the day, goes back to China. Gets put into quarantine, tests positive - is now classed as an imported case...
    Believe nothing from the Chinese report

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,067 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Interesting thoughts on the young people getting sick in New York around 4 minutes. Also on the building pressures in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭blackcard

A lot of posts on here about what you shouldn't do, not so many about what you should do. Should the restrictions be 0km, 1km, 2km,etc.. I think if anyone came up with a set of rules about distance, essential services they would only get 10% approval. Tbh, it is partially a stab in the dark. If someone comes on here with a proposal, it is an easy thing to do. They should be challenged as to the benefits of their proposal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Jesus, they’re going to starve us in rural Ireland so, as no one outside a town lives within 2km of a grocery shop :rolleyes:

Not true at all the 2k limit is for exercise. You shop where you usually can even if outside 2k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

One thing I haven't noticed mentioned was fast food delivery service. I presume this is now closed.

Considering the country gets 20% from takeaway, I wonder how some will cope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭blackcard

A lot of posts on here about what you shouldn't do, not so many about what you should do. Should the restrictions be 0km, 1km, 2km,etc.. I think if anyone came up with a set of rules about distance, essential services they would only get 10% approval. Tbh, it is partially a stab in the dark. If someone comes on here with a proposal, it is an easy thing to do. They should be challenged as to the benefits of their proposal

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement