Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XI - 2,615 in ROI (46 deaths) 410 in NI (21 deaths)(29/03)*OP upd 28/03*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

Yes self entitled, being asked to sit on a coach and go for walks within 2 kilometers of your home is SO stressful.

No people are objecting to anyone leaving their house at all. That's what I'm responding to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

I work for a pharmaceutical company and got a text to say we are essential and should show up for work. The thing is, we aren’t, and have not yet, made a commercial batch so we do not make any medications for patients. Does this sound correct? Surely we’re doing more harm than good by going to work?

I work for a pharma company too, although we are making product atm and I got a similiar text. If you practice correct social distancing at work then maybe it will be ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,685 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Anti-cancer. But as I said we aren’t actually manufacturing it at the minute and won’t be until early next year. I would contact a local TD if I could be sure to remain anonymous. In fact, the Taoiseach himself is local!

Wouldn't know enough about the prep work required whereas it may be needed now for the future to advise

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

growleaves wrote: »
    Me being entitled? Why do you think I've spent the last two weeks arguing with on this web site? I haven't gone anywhere (non-essential)

Everything is being subordinated to controlling this virus. Not just 'the economy', every semblance of normality.

Yet it still isn't enough. People still call it 'soft' that people can roam outside their apartment for five minutes, without seeing a single person, in spite that you woud wither away if you spent last winter, this summer and next winter indoors (1.5 years without sunshine).

You need to wise up. All the massive stress putting everyone under will be tanking immune systems all over the shop.

Fine but they dont need to go on 150 mile drives, or marathon runs, just get out in sun for 20 minutes a day for vit D levels. They dont need to go for long drives becuase they were asked not to and perhaps put an overstretched emergency service under more strain

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Psychedelic Hedgehog

No people are objecting to anyone leaving their house at all. That's what I'm responding to.

Try putting yourself in this guy's shoes.

• Advertisement

Me being entitled? Why do you think I've spent the last two weeks arguing with on this web site? I haven't gone anywhere (non-essential)

Everything is being subordinated to controlling this virus. Not just 'the economy', every semblance of normality.

Yet it still isn't enough. People still call it 'soft' that people can roam outside their apartment for five minutes, without seeing a single person, in spite that you woud wither away if you spent last winter, this summer and next winter indoors (1.5 years without sunshine).

You need to wise up. All the massive stress putting everyone under will be tanking immune systems all over the shop.

Ignoring reality went change anything. You can get sunshine without walking for miles. It's been said a few times now how.

I also haven't argued for total isolation. I know the mental stress it causes.

But you are still the guy that's shrugging the requests of the emergency services and medical experts off while arguing for your right to saunter about willy nilly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I work for a pharma company too, although we are making product atm and I got a similiar text. If you practice correct social distancing at work then maybe it will be ok

I know what you’re saying but working on the manufacturing floor makes it impossible so socially distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,960 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

To be fair, she/he never said they were a good journalist.

But I have been published in Phoenix Magazine so I can't be that bad.

I work in the Pharma industry as a lab tech so I can't work from home. We were handed letters on Thursday morning to say we are essential workers - to be shown to the Gardaí in case we are stopped on the way to work. I also got a text tonight to say I am an essential worker and I am to com into work. We are practicing very effective social distancing and hand hygiene at work. I get the feeling they were on the know about what was coming. Both my parents are over 70. My sister has an autoimmune condition. I expect all of them will have to be cocooned, so I'll be doing the shopping etc. for them if they can't get online deliveries. There is no way my parents could managr online shopping unless I did it for them. My wife and kids are asthmatic - I'm not sure if they are in an at risk category. So I don't know if I should go out at all even though I need to for work and to help my family out. I think the current government have handled this pretty well so far, but I hope I can get some more clarity by tomorrow. Sorry if this is a bit rambling. I suppose I'm just venting really.

My understanding is that you should still work but naturally your families existing illnesses are a cause for concern.

I don't have any great answer I'm afraid. Your essential but by the same token, have a duty to your family.

Clean everything, wash hands and so on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

paul71 wrote: »
    So you know that 14.56 km is the distance you can go on 1 radius, the circumference and back. Well done your problem is now solved.

Will you now make the effort the prevent the deaths of any more nurses in our ICUs?

You must live in a city. Nice theory, you should try walking 14.56 km in wellies.

I saw your earlier appeal to the example of those who fought in wars. My father did just that in WW2, and I know he wouldn't have stopped at 2km, which I won't be doing either, because your whataboutry in claiming such activity is a threat to the well being of nurses is sanctimonious pig swill. I will take any and all measures that are sensible and which might possibly make a difference.

See anyone to infect or be infected by?:

Empty-country-road.jpg

Empty-country-road-2.jpg

I'll continue my walks.

• Advertisement

I know what you’re saying but working on the manufacturing floor makes it impossible so socially distance.

Then your company should take measures to ensure it is. We removed most of the seats from the canteens. The main canteen now has tape on the tables to ensure everyome sits 2m apart. Everyone who can work from home is. A lot of people have been moved out of my office to offices left empty by the WFH crowd. Meetings are being done by Webex. We keep our distance in the lab. Break times have been staggered and shift times altered so shifts don't meet each other. Hand sanitisers have been installed everywhere.

If you can't socially distance then wear PPE. We have "dust masks" which are actually FFP3 respirators and airhoods. Most of the cancer drugs are high potency are they not? If so then they should be made in a high containment unit surely and you should wearing an air hood.

Or you could just say you've developed a cough amd self isolate for 2 weeks.

My understanding is that you should still work but naturally your families existing illnesses are a cause for concern.

I don't have any great answer I'm afraid. Your essential but by the same token, have a duty to your family.

Clean everything, wash hands and so on.

Thanks. My job is essential - sick people need drugs. I'm not in until Tuesday so I'll think on it. I might ask to do all nights for a bit - that way I'll meet far less people. And drink less cans 😀

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Then your company should take measures to ensure it is. We removed most of the seats from the canteens. The main canteen now has tape on the tables to ensure everyome sits 2m apart. Everyone who can work from home is. A lot of people have been moved out of my office to offices left empty by the WFH crowd. Meetings are being done by Webex. We keep our distance in the lab. Break times have been staggered and shift times altered so shifts don't meet each other. Hand sanitisers have been installed everywhere.

If you can't socially distance then wear PPE. We have "dust masks" which are actually FFP3 respirators and airhoods. Most of the cancer drugs are high potency are they not? If so then they should be made in a high containment unit surely and you should wearing an air hood.

Or you could just say you've developed a cough amd self isolate for 2 weeks.

Not during upstream processing no.

I guess I’ll have the ask the relevant people in my company when I’m back it. Cheers everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭snoopboggybog

Your a ****ing clown , what are you losing out in two weeks.Honest to god ,what's wrong with people just stay in doors unless for essentials. Walk around the house if you need exercise. You have 2k grace but you seem hell bent on breaking that , you deserve what you get.

He's not going to spread the virus by walking there in all honesty. Would be no difference walking there or staying at home. Don't see the problem. Who's he going to infect? Please I'd love to know?

Better off walking there than a public street.

U would be 100 times worse in a crowded area. Maybe some people on this thread don't have the IQ to realize this.

He's not going to spread the virus by walking there in all honesty. Would be no difference walking there or staying at home. Don't see the problem. Who's he going to infect? Please I'd love to know?

U would be 100 times worse in a crowded area. Maybe some people on this thread don't have the IQ to realize this.

It's about excercising some personal responsibility and not taking unneccesary risks. So, yeah if you live in an isolated area then obviously going outside the 2k limit isn't a risk. You're more than likely not going to meet anyone. It's a different story in a built up area of course.

>snip epic high horsery<, you deserve what you get.

Yes, sunshine, fresh air, exercise and a strengthened immune system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,291 ✭✭✭paul71

cnocbui wrote: »
    You must live in a city. Nice theory, you should try walking 14.56 km in wellies.

I saw your earlier appeal to the example of those who fought in wars. My father did just that in WW2, and I know he wouldn't have stopped at 2km, which I won't be doing either, because your whataboutry in claiming such activity is a threat to the well being of nurses is sanctimonious pig swill. I will take any and all measures that are sensible and which might possibly make a difference.

See anyone to infect or be infected by?:

Empty-country-road.jpg

Empty-country-road-2.jpg

I'll continue my walks.

No I live 10 miles from the nearest town and I will obey the laws introduced by our government to safeguard lives, I dispair of self entitled prats who refuse to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

Try putting yourself in this guy's shoes.

That's gut wrenching :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,974 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭showpony1

paddythere wrote: »
    What about a 6 mile run? Are you expecting stay within 2km of your house during a run?

you sound like the type that would be running the streets around Camden street and Central Bank at rush hours cursing at people walking on the foot paths for being in your way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

paul71 wrote:
    No I live 10 miles from the nearest town and I will obey the laws introduced by our government to safeguard lives, I dispair of self entitled prats who refuse to do so.

These measures are clearly for densely populated areas to try and avoid more clusters. As I said earlier in the thread I've been bringing my dogs out to the middle of nowhere for walks where I'm not going to meet anybody. If I walk around my locality I'll be struggling to avoid people.
    Which do you think is the more sensible option for me to take as regards taking measures to avoid the spread of cocid-19?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭WAW

There's some amount of hysteria on this thread. People should read over what they've written. Some of it is surreal. A person going for a walk in an isolated area near their home is a non issue. How many people do you personally know are ill with Covid 19? Yes, there's a virus but take a reality check. A healthy immune system is the best thing to counter any virus. Fresh air and sunshine are a big part of that be it a 2 k walk or a 10 k walk! Country dwellers going for a nice long fresh walk are far less likely to spread or contract the virus than a load of urban dwellers social distancing within a 2 k radius surely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,291 ✭✭✭paul71

I am going to bed, it has been a gut wenching day, but before I go I say simply this.

This disease is going to kill someone YOU know. It is in your control, not the governments, whether it kills 1 person you know or several.

Nailed it.

I usually only encounter 1, perhaps 2, and often not a single other person. I had to go shopping today. That would be at least a million times more likely to acquire or pass on infection, but it has to be done, the troops and the cats need to be fed. I don't touch my face, I use hand sanitiser, and when I get home I wash my hands, go back and wipe the front door handles, the steering wheel, the gear knob, indicator stalks, door handles the hatch hand grip. I even wipe down my purchases before putting them away and I have been doing all this for the last 4 weeks.

I have been well ahead of the high horsemen, the government and Varadkar. I even have hand sanitiser bought in Lidl before these obedience clowns probably even knew there was such a thing as Covid-19. I have been advocating the seriousness of what was to come, which we are now experiencing, since the first thread. Now instead of all the 'it's just a flu' idiots and 'you are all panicking over nothing' clowns, we have these 11th thread on the topic blow-ins who have just found religion, getting wind up their skirts about people not following the letter of the scripture. It's frankly comic.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭TheDenialTwist

A 50 euro or so fine might though which will be the next measure brought in due to knob jockeys like your good self.

Just catching up on here, as I haven't posted on this since thread X.

Yes, some countries that are in lock down have been imposing fines, a random example is Cyprus, whereby anyone seen out in the streets violating the lock down, it's an immediate fine.

Then you have the other extreme like in India where people are beaten by police for being outdoors.

I wonder how the Gardaí will enforce the new measures introduced here?

Hopefully people will use common sense and abide. And I think the vast majority of people will. Especially now, since over half of transmission is via Community Transmission.

And for the few who do not adhere, I guess that's an issue for the Gardaí to decide what kind of penalty to impose.

And sadly, it's those few people (idiots or knob jockeys as you rightly said) who do not use common sense or even have a sense of moral responsibility that will result in further spread of the virus and ultimately more deaths.

fritzelly wrote: »
    The only people that should be getting priority testing is frontline health care workers followed by the elderly or high risk groups (e.g. cancer, lung issues etc), after that everybody else

Tell me about it. In an ideal world, yes.

But they are an 'Ethnic Group' and Ethnic Group is a Royal Flush here. They won't even be required to read the booklet.......(I'm holding my tongue)

Two have tested positive in my Mother in Laws Nursing Home. I saw her through the closed window today. I was wearing a mask & gloves. It was pathetic.

Bottom line; as with every other resource, unless they get all the back-up and support that there is, way beyond what anyone else in the community gets, they will fill up those ICU beds and by Jes^s will they have a choir of Angels telling the rest of us that we need to understand and appreciate their Ethnic disadvantage.

So, much and all as it peeves me - hopefully those infected are identified, isolated and separated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

He showed 2 empty pictures of empty roads , I understand he may not meet anyone but can we not keep it very simple , if your lucky enough to have that dont abuse it either.Could he not walk .5k there and back.Or just sit at home watch your fancy .

I honestly dont get this exercise, what athletes here are missing out . Its 2 weeks and peoples lives are at risk , lets help everyone please!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Is a dog walk to the park allloweed with these new rules I’m hearing mixed thing as always

WAW wrote: »
    There's some amount of hysteria on this thread. People should read over what they've written. Some of it is surreal. A person going for a walk in an isolated area near their home is a non issue. How many people do you personally know are ill with Covid 19? Yes, there's a virus but take a reality check. A healthy immune system is the best thing to counter any virus. Fresh air and sunshine are a big part of that be it a 2 k walk or a 10 k walk! Country dwellers going for a nice long fresh walk are far less likely to spread or contract the virus than a load of urban dwellers social distancing within a 2 k radius surely.

Tell that to the doctors working all hours under the sun and dying from it - I'm sure it will give them great solace that you are doing your bit by ignoring governmental advice
    Whether it's a 1% chance or a 100% chance of spreading it you are still at risk of spreading or contracting it
    But don't let that get in the way of your personal freedoms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭DisneyLover

Has anyone been on the darts how are they getting on with the new timetable during this are they empty??

Back to work Wednesday in bio chem ...

Presume all construction sites will be closed and only emergency services, pharmacist and food shops will be only people working yes ...??

biggebruv wrote: »
    Is a dog walk to the park allloweed with these new rules I’m hearing mixed thing as always

Yes

I am going to bed, it has been a gut wenching day, but before I go I say simply this.

This disease is going to kill someone YOU know. It is in your control, not the governments, whether it kills 1 person you know or several.

Is this a scare tactic to make people behave better, or do you genuinely believe that everyone in Ireland will lose someone to it?

He showed 2 empty pictures of empty roads , I understand he may not meet anyone but can we not keep it very simple , if your lucky enough to have that dont abuse it either.Could he not walk .5k there and back.Or just sit at home watch your fancy .

I honestly dont get this exercise, what athletes here are missing out . Its 2 weeks and peoples lives are at risk , lets help everyone please!!

Here's what I could do. I could walk 2km, walk back 2k, walk back out to 2km, walk back. What f'n difference does that make vs walking 4k and then back; seriously, how does that magical piece of blind rule following protect health workers? That silly 2k scenario would actually increase the chances of passing 5m from someone because the further you go, the less likely you are to encounter someone else anyway.

People have fallen of their mental trollies; if they were ever on them in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Tell that to the doctors working all hours under the sun and dying from it - I'm sure it will give them great solace that you are doing your bit by ignoring governmental advice
    Whether it's a 1% chance or a 100% chance of spreading it you are still at risk of spreading or contracting it
    But don't let that get in the way of your personal freedoms
    "A healthy immune system is the best thing to counter any virus" (stop the research, no need for a vaccine!) They're not for real though. They can't be. If they are... yikes.

I started watching coverage of this on CNN about 10 days ago. There was 8,500 confirmed cases. Tonight there are over 100,000 confirmed cases. It will be 1 million cases in around the same time again, and hopefully not, 8 - 10 million in about 20 days time.

Say for the sake of argument a mortality rate if 2% (it has been 10% in Italy), thats a scary figure.

• Advertisement

Is this a scare tactic to make people behave better, or do you genuinely believe that everyone in Ireland will lose someone to it?

Alas good chance everyone will know someone, even if only by acquaintance, if we don't stop it in its tracks now

Alas good chance everyone will know someone, even if only by acquaintance, if we don't stop it in its tracks now

That's not what the poster said. He said the difference in action now is the difference between one person you know dying, or several. He already said it was a gut wrenching day. If he's worked himself into such a state that he thinks everyone is going to lose someone no matter what, he needs to stop reading about this stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Yeah I think I'm pretty clued in as to the seriousness of this - glued to it. But there is a lot of "mights"/"coulds" being claimed as "wills". It's already worrying enough with the actual facts (I can't sleep even though I'm knackered). Nothing should be stated as fact without evidence.

We might all know or know of someone who is diagnosed with it, but not even in Italy would everyone know someone who has died.

I hope you sleep okay, sorry for your loss - it has clearly been a very distressing day.

Wishing you well.

There is a post 5 above you from the spouse and family of a health care worker.

Yesterday a nurse in the ICU of the mater hospital died protecting us from this virus.

Our government has passed a law on the advice of Medical experts to help save the lives of our elderly and protect people like that nurse.

You question that because you want to go for a run.

GROW UP.

Nobody wants anyone to die from covid. But the reality is that health care workers, doctors, nurses die every year - some of them due to the nature of their work. You just don't hear about but we're hearing about it now but only if it's from covid. It's not disrespectful to point that out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

paddythere wrote: »
    What about a 6 mile run? Are you expecting stay within 2km of your house during a run?
    showpony1 wrote: »
    you sound like the type that would be running the streets around Camden street and Central Bank at rush hours cursing at people walking on the foot paths for being in your way.

Plus the genius that is paddythere, has not figured out that he could do three laps of a 2km route. And that the idea of the 2km limit is to keep any virus localised.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Tell me about it. In an ideal world, yes.

But they are an 'Ethnic Group' and Ethnic Group is a Royal Flush here. They won't even be required to read the booklet.......(I'm holding my tongue)

Two have tested positive in my Mother in Laws Nursing Home. I saw her through the closed window today. I was wearing a mask & gloves. It was pathetic.

Bottom line; as with every other resource, unless they get all the back-up and support that there is, way beyond what anyone else in the community gets, they will fill up those ICU beds and by Jes^s will they have a choir of Angels telling the rest of us that we need to understand and appreciate their Ethnic disadvantage.

So, much and all as it peeves me - hopefully those infected are identified, isolated and separated.

Get what you are saying but it is not right
    The other half's mother is in a care home - currently on a drip, very old (several other things wrong with her but not life threatening). If she caught this she would be dead in a day. They already had one care worker confirmed with it.

I don't see why any one group of people should be given any preference to testing. Everyone has the same chance of catching it and everyone has the same chance of being seriously ill and dying from it - look at the Italy videos, lots of 30-50 year olds needing respiratory aid. Now the US (NY especially) videos of doctors coming out saying its not an old persons disease - everyone can be seriously ill.

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Yeah I think I'm pretty clued in as to the seriousness of this - glued to it. But there is a lot of "mights"/"coulds" being claimed as "wills". It's already worrying enough with the actual facts (I can't sleep even though I'm knackered). Nothing should be stated as fact without evidence.

We might all know or know of someone who is diagnosed with it, but not even in Italy would everyone know someone who has died.

For everyone in Italy to have lost someone they know up to this point, the average person would need to know 6,666 people.

Ireland being a lot more closely knit community the chances are you would know someone ;)

Has anyone been on the darts how are they getting on with the new timetable during this are they empty??

Back to work Wednesday in bio chem ...

Presume all construction sites will be closed and only emergency services, pharmacist and food shops will be only people working yes ...??

Good to see you're on the mend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Nobody wants anyone to die from covid. But the reality is that health care workers, doctors, nurses die every year - some of them due to the nature of their work. You just don't hear about but we're hearing about it now but only if it's from covid. It's not disrespectful to point that out.

Statistically health care workers are now more likely to die than any other year or any other month or any other day of the year worldwide not just in Ireland. That is the point. To engage in whataboutery,at a time like this; when everyone should be pulling in the same direction is quite frankly staggering.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

For everyone in Italy to have lost someone they know up to this point, the average person would need to know 6,666 people.

Away with you and the number of the beast

"A healthy immune system is the best thing to counter any virus" (stop the research, no need for a vaccine!) They're not for real though. They can't be. If they are... yikes.

I am for real. A healthy immune system will allow you to contract a virus and fight it off. A vaccine, whilst useful will only protect you against one strain of anything. You cannot vaccinate against everything and new viruses pop up all the time therefore it's crucial to have a strong immune system. Surely you are not suggesting vaccination is better than healthy immune systems because even a doctor wouldn't say that!

And Alaska goes in to lockdown - every country needs to do this now for a month, let the virus burn itself out and all come out the other side knowing it won't come back (which is a big worry)
    To hell with the economy - if every country is shut down then the economy becomes frozen and has no detrimental effects on anyone. We are just freezing everything for 4-6 weeks

https://twitter.com/BNODesk?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

I am for real. A healthy immune system will allow you to contract a virus and fight it off. A vaccine, whilst useful will only protect you against one strain of anything. You cannot vaccinate against everything and new viruses pop up all the time therefore it's crucial to have a strong immune system. Surely you are not suggesting vaccination is better than healthy immune systems because even a doctor wouldn't say that!

A healthy immune system screwed a lot of people during the Spanish Flu
    Plus lots of people don't even know they have any underlying conditions so it's a false fallacy to think you are healthy because you exercise regularly
    Never think you are immune because you think you are healthy

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement